ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen DeBoer

And a $12 million buyout.
That’s what I implied by saying “maybe 13M left on his contract”. I’m not sure if buyouts matter but it’s one of the reasons guys like BOB and Rhule might be more attractive. IMO UW can match anything we offer

Purdue has a .500 record under Brohm and hasn't won jack, so not sure that is a model we want to replicate here.
what are the records for iowa and wisconsin and minnesota and illinois?

what have they won?

your point about getting players is fair. but, I would say it just takes one quarterback.

Fickell or DeBoer would be great hires. Once DeBoer gets his defensive guy in place, they’ll be hard to beat.

Does NU take a chance on him being able to make the right staff changes? Also, how good is Penix Jr and how much is this year due to his talent? People talk about Indiana taking a step back… DeBoer and Penix Jr. were the ones that had them rolling

Would love to see him as HC

Last edited by a moderator:
Fickle or DeBoer would be great hires. Once DeBoer gets his defensive guy in place, they’ll be hard to beat.

Does NU take a chance on him being able to make the right staff changes? Also, how good is Penix Jr and how much is this year due to his talent? People talk about Indiana taking a step back… DeBoer and Penix Jr. were the ones that had them rolling

Would love to see him as HC

Yeah I'd like to see how he does without a 5th-year transfer QB. He might have just caught lightning in a bottle this year like Frost did with McKenzie Milton that year. He hasn't "built" anything yet. Fresno had 10 and 12 win seasons under Tedford just a couple years before he took that job. Washington played in three consecutive "BCS" bowls under Chris Petersen just a few years ago.

It's not like either program was in the toilet was in the toilet like Nebraska football is now. Only two years at Fresno and one at Washington is not enough time to judge him as a program builder. He hasn't stayed anywhere more than a couple years, so I do not understand why people think he would be a home run hire.

Part of the reason Indiana went down hill after that year is their S&C guy left for Bama. The dude was an absolute stud and had some cutting edge ideas. Indiana was athletic and fast as hell for a short stint when he was there.
Probably a big Wardaddy Up guy.

Yeah I'd like to see how he does without a 5th-year transfer QB. He might have just caught lightning in a bottle this year like Frost did with McKenzie Milton that year. He hasn't "built" anything yet. Fresno had 10 and 12 win seasons under Tedford just a couple years before he took that job. Washington played in three consecutive "BCS" bowls under Chris Petersen just a few years ago.

It's not like either program was in the toilet was in the toilet like Nebraska football is now. Only two years at Fresno and one at Washington is not enough time to judge him as a program builder. He hasn't stayed anywhere more than a couple years, so I do not understand why people think he would be a home run hire.
Obviously, every candidate has warts, reasons that they might not be successful at Nebraska. Eventually, Trev is going to roll the dice on someone. We’ll find out if they were the right guy or not in about three years.

Has she signed? If not, what’s to stop her from pulling her commitment and signing with Nebraska, assuming she would have an offer?

Washington has a much better softball program than Nebraska and she's one of the top recruits in the country. I doubt she wants to play at Nebraska regardless.

I just don't think DeBoer has any interest in leaving Washington. His family seems pretty happy there. And Washington will match whatever offer we can give him.

Last edited:
I do not buy the premise that the B1G West is full of elite teams. Or the premise that you need to operate the same way as your piers to beat them. Why in the world do we ned to run systems like Minnesota and Iowa just because we play in the same conference?
We don’t, great point.

Reactions: headcard
He is a heck of a coach but I doubt Trev will see him as a fit both personally and for the Big 10. Trev wants a coach who preaches strength in the trenches and a power run game. KD is a pass first pac 10 finesse coach IMO.

FWIW, talking or worrying about the strength or weakness of the B1G West likely is going to be irrelevant in the future. I don't foresee today's division set up continuing in its present format once expansion takes place.

FWIW, talking or worrying about the strength or weakness of the B1G West likely is going to be irrelevant in the future. I don't foresee today's division set up continuing in its present format once expansion takes place.
Any good coach could own the big ten west anyway. It is embarrassing that Nebraska hasn't. Other than Wisconsin, teams should storm the field and tear down the goalposts when they beat Nebraska. It is our failure that our program is where it is and that doesn't happen.

Any good coach could own the big ten west anyway. It is embarrassing that Nebraska hasn't. Other than Wisconsin, teams should storm the field and tear down the goalposts when they beat Nebraska. It is our failure that our program is where it is and that doesn't happen.

Wisconsin is garbage too. It's embarrassing what Nebraska has become since 1997.....

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
My understanding is that DeBoer's Defensive Coordinator is a former Iowa Hawkeye player and that his Offensive Coordinator is a native of NW Iowa.

My understanding is that DeBoer's Defensive Coordinator is a former Iowa Hawkeye player and that his Offensive Coordinator is a native of NW Iowa.

Our last two defensive coordinators were former Iowa players (Chinander and Diaco). That did not turn out well for us.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Love has to flow both ways….He’s from Ohio and has a big family. As a dad IF I’m making the coin he’s making in a place I love there’s no way in hell I’m uprooting my family
His wife also has a big family and is from Ohio. She doesnt want to leave according to some OSU people. It's OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, or Penn State. They arent gonna stray too far from family.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
DeBoer would be a phenomenal hire. Better than Leipold, not quite as good as Klieman.

DeBoer would be a phenomenal hire. Better than Leipold, not quite as good as Klieman.
I think Deboer and Leipold are both better than Klieman. Klieman has been there for 5 years before pulling off an impressive season, and even then the loss to Tulane tainted that quite a bit. Deboer and Leipold are first and second year coaches so it's hard to compare directly with a fifth year coach based on this season's results. I would say what Deboer is doing has been more impressive and maybe even Leipold as well.

IF DeBoer came to NU he would likely have a 5th year transfer aQB to start out. ….

Deboer made Tom Allen look good. Enough said.

His wife also has a big family and is from Ohio. She doesnt want to leave according to some OSU people. It's OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, or Penn State. They arent gonna stray too far from family.
What if he has a vision from God?

Or better yet she does?

Same dream same night a la field of dreams?

Stranger things..

Love has to flow both ways….He’s from Ohio and has a big family. As a dad IF I’m making the coin he’s making in a place I love there’s no way in hell I’m uprooting my family
Do the letters “PJ” mean nothing to you people?

Cincy is 2hrs from Lincoln, probably shorter than the drive to Columbus

ADVERTISEMENT