ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen DeBoer

On another note 10 of the 14 B1G teams are 57 to 130th in total offense too.

Remind me where Frost's offenses at Oregon and UCF ranked? And then how they ranked in the Big Ten? Did the Big Ten have to "modify their systems to his offense"?

Yeah but...look at the lame dick offenses in the Big Ten

Iowa
Nebraska
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Indiana
Minny (once conference started)

I mean, the big ten has some lame offensive teams.

People said the same things when Frost was hired. "The Big Ten is going to have to modify their system to us".

Sounds like Urban has been making it his mission to assist Trev with the search as an advisor of sorts. According to 247 forums anyway.

Means it's obviously not him, but mentions of him being stoked about some of our candidates matched to our program has me wondering if Fickel or Deboer aren't major candidates right now alongside Rhule...

Sounds like Urban has been making it his mission to assist Trev with the search as an advisor of sorts. According to 247 forums anyway.

Means it's obviously not him, but mentions of him being stoked about some of our candidates matched to our program has me wondering if Fickel or Deboer aren't major candidates right now alongside Rhule...
FWIW DeBoer’s making ~3.5M with maybe 13M left on his contract…

Everyone seemed off the DeBoer train after their second loss of the year to ASU. He’s had a couple good wins since then and a good first year overall.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Or maybe Zach Smith? Lol.

• Haha
Remind me where Frost's offenses at Oregon and UCF ranked? And then how they ranked in the Big Ten? Did the Big Ten have to "modify their systems to his offense"?
In 2017, UCF had the #5 total offense in the country, according to cfbstats.com. In 2017, NE had the #87 total offense in the country and #7 in the B1G. In 2018, NE had the #25 total offense in the country and #2 in the B1G. In 2019, NE had the #55 total offense in the country and #5 in the B1G. In 2020, NE had the #66 total offense in the country and #4 in the B1G. In 2021, NE had the #22 total offense in the country and #2 in the B1G.

I didn't bother to look up he Oregon offense rankings.

One could argue that the B1G West defenses are better today than they were in 2017. Which likewise leads to an argument that they are better, in part, because they had to adjust to what Frost was doing. The problem with the NE offense under Frost wasn't necessarily the production between the 20s, it was the Red Zone production, imho.

I am leaning that way as well but I don't know why. Like, why doesn't Luke get more love?
I'd guess it's because he seems determined to stay in Ohio. And what job in Ohio other than Ohio State would be an upgrade from Cincinnati?

Last edited:
  • Wow
And honestly, they would have, if Frost could have got the guys. OSU runs a crazy good offense, they have studs.

Getting the guys is kind of the most important thing you need to do. You think DoBoer can get Ohio State level talent to Nebraska? He's not exactly crushing recruiting at Washington this year despite having a ranked team. In fact, Nebraska has more 4-star recruits committed than Washington, and we don't even have a head coach.

in frost's 3 full seasons, Nebraska never finished worse than 6th in the B1G in total offense

and that's obviously despite a myriad of issues

Reactions: headcard
in frost's 3 full seasons, Nebraska never finished worse than 6th in the B1G in total offense

and that's obviously despite a myriad of issues

Yeah and how many Big Ten wins did that translate to?

You have to be able to play defense, run the ball, and take care of the ball to win in this conference. You have to be able to win ugly.

Yes, Ohio State has a very good offense, but they are also Top 10 in defense and turnover margin. And they bring in a Top 5 recruiting class every year. That's not going to happen here.

Getting the guys is kind of the most important thing you need to do. You think DoBoer can get Ohio State level talent to Nebraska? He's not exactly crushing recruiting at Washington this year despite having a ranked team. In fact, Nebraska has more 4-star recruits committed than Washington, and we don't even have a head coach.
No, I don't.

I would guess he could get the same level of ranking that pretty much all NU coaches seem to get but that is it.

Yeah I highly doubt DeBoer would have agreed to a $12 million buyout if Nebraska was his dream job, knowing that Frost was on the hottest of hot seats. This sounds like something Sean Callahan just made up. I can't find anything online where DeBoer says anything about the Nebraska job, let alone it being his dream job.

Yeah and how many Big Ten wins did that translate to?

Yes, Ohio State has a very good offense, but they are also Top 10 in defense and turnover margin. And they bring in a Top 5 recruiting class every year. That's not going to happen here.
I'm sorry, were you talking about wins or about offense?

ohiost, in its decade-plus of dominance in the B1G, has probably finished in the top 10 in defense once

even bad teams that attempt to play good offense do well in this plodding league (purdue)

the notion that slowing down the game is the only winning formula in the B1G is ass backwards

I'm sorry, were you talking about wins or about offense?

ohiost, in its decade-plus of dominance in the B1G, has probably finished in the top 10 in defense once

even bad teams that attempt to play good offense do well in this plodding league (purdue)

the notion that slowing down the game is the only winning formula in the B1G is ass backwards

That's not true, Urban had a Top 10 defense there every year from 2014-2017. Day has had a Top 10 defense 2 of the 4 years so far. But regardless, Ohio State brings in a Top 5 recruiting class every year. That's never going to happen at Nebraska. The idea that we will bring in the offensive talent here to outscore everyone is a delusional fantasy. We're just never going to be able to bring in the numbers of great players at skill positions needed to run a pass-happy offense here.

Look at the statistics for the Top Passing Offense teams in the country. How many of them are in cold climates? How many are in places where there is not a lot of high school talent to recruit from?

Reactions: king_kong_
That's not true, Urban had a Top 10 defense there every year from 2014-2017. Day has had a Top 10 defense 2 of the 4 years so far. But regardless, Ohio State brings in a Top 5 recruiting class every year. That's never going to happen at Nebraska. The idea that we will bring in the offensive talent here to outscore everyone is a delusional fantasy. We're just never going to be able to bring in the numbers of great players at skill positions needed to run a pass-happy offense here.

Look at the statistics for the Top Passing Offense teams in the country. How many of them are in cold climates? How many are in places where there is not a lot of high school talent to recruit from?
I agree that college football is infinitely more about the players than the coach

Meh, it's the Pac-12. I think Mickey would have us near the top of that conference. Nobody plays defense. Hiring Pac-12 coaches has not worked out well for us with Frost and Riley.

DeBoer threw the ball around at Fresno and Indiana, too. Also, that 2019 Indiana team is a mirage, they beat the crappy teams but got shut down by the good teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee...I think we even had more yards of offense when we played them but lost because of turnovers and special teams.
Part of the reason Indiana went down hill after that year is their S&C guy left for Bama. The dude was an absolute stud and had some cutting edge ideas. Indiana was athletic and fast as hell for a short stint when he was there.

Yeah I highly doubt DeBoer would have agreed to a $12 million buyout if Nebraska was his dream job, knowing that Frost was on the hottest of hot seats. This sounds like something Sean Callahan just made up. I can't find anything online where DeBoer says anything about the Nebraska job, let alone it being his dream job.
I know the buyout favors the university, but I don’t think the buyout was a sticking point for a first year coach at Washington. Did Deboer have all the leverage to force Washington into a smaller buyout?

That just seems strange to suggest that because the buyout is $12 mil and Deboer agreed to it then Nebraska must not be his dream job.

Reactions: headcard
I know the buyout favors the university, but I don’t think the buyout was a sticking point for a first year coach at Washington. Did Deboer have all the leverage to force Washington into a smaller buyout?

That just seems strange to suggest that because the buyout is $12 mil and Deboer agreed to it then Nebraska must not be his dream job.

I can't find anything that suggests Nebraska is his dream job, or that he even likes Nebraska at all. This smells like something his agent might put out there to try and get him a huge raise and extension at Washington.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

The pass-heavy component is actually one of the other hangups I have with DeBoer too, but he has been at a lot of stops which to me is a good thing. He’s also clearly had success in the Midwest operating this offense. He seems like the kind of guy that would be wise enough to adjust to the Big 10 (not the other way around…) and they wiped the field clean with Michigan State.

Time and Trev will tell.

Are people really that afraid to throw the ball? If you build your team around it, you can easily have success. Hard to believe that given a year or two building that identity we could not outmatch Purdue who is known for being a pass heavy big ten team. Having an identity would be a much better step in direction than whatever the hell we have now

According to CFBStats.com, Ohio State had the following Total Defense rankings nationally:
2017 - 9th
2018 - 71st
2019 - 1st
2020 - 59th
2021 - 59th

When did Day have 2 - Top 10 defenses? Or are you referring to B1G ranking only? Did you use a site that has different info?

Top passing offense teams per CFBStats.com ("cold-weather" teams only):
2017 - Washington State #2
2018 - Washington State #1, Ohio State #2, West Virginia #4, Purdue #11
2019 - Washington State #1, Iowa State #11, Purdue #12, Colorado State #14, Indiana #15
2020 - BYU #8, Toledo #9, Kent State #10, Purdue #16
2021 - Ohio State #3, Purdue #5, Pitt #8, Utah State #15

Take a look at the top Rushing teams during those same years. It looks the same as the top Passing teams, i.e. very few are "Northern", "cold-weather" teams. I'm not sure the statistics will prove your point on a National basis. Michigan was the top rushing team in the B1G last year & only ranked #15 in the country. Take away Army & Air Force, cold-weather teams don't fare very well at all on a National scale.

When did Day have 2 - Top 10 defenses? Or are you referring to B1G ranking only? Did you use a site that has different info?

He has a Top 10 defense this year.

Take a look at the top Rushing teams during those same years. It looks the same as the top Passing teams, i.e. very few are "Northern", "cold-weather" teams. I'm not sure the statistics will prove your point on a National basis. Michigan was the top rushing team in the B1G last year & only ranked #15 in the country. Take away Army & Air Force, cold-weather teams don't fare very well at all on a National scale.

Seems to prove my point that trying to just outscore everyone isn't going to be a winning strategy in the Big Ten at a place that isn't in a fertile recruiting area for skill position players.

Purdue has a .500 record under Brohm and hasn't won jack, so not sure that is a model we want to replicate here.

I do not buy the premise that the B1G West is full of elite teams. Or the premise that you need to operate the same way as your piers to beat them. Why in the world do we ned to run systems like Minnesota and Iowa just because we play in the same conference?

ADVERTISEMENT