ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen DeBoer

On TOS Callahan said Nebraska is his dream job and the y job he would leave Washington for. He is a Midwest guy and a heck of a coach, should he be at the top of our wish list?
Yes near the top and Trev is an idiot if he hasn't talked to him yet.

The older I get the more pessimistic I get about situations like this.....what I mean is, is this really his dream job? Why?? (as WHCSC mentioned)..... and is he really just saying this for a raise at his current gig? With all the money floating around college football jobs these days, a properly timed comment like that during an 8-2 run at his current job would probably net you a several hundred thousand dollar per year raise....

I’ve been wanting him all season. Has Washington at 8-2 in his 1st season with a dominant win over Michigan State. They pushed MSU all over the field, too. Just speculation, but I could see Alberts and CSA taking a serious look and maybe even narrowing down the search to this guy. He would be a solid hire.

The dude is 87-11 as a head coach overall. Just took down an 8-1 Oregon squad in Eugene, which is really hard to do. I know he is PAC-12 at the moment, which isn’t my favorite thing about him, but the majority of his career he’s been in the Midwest, and it seems like he’s a Midwest guy to the core – born in Milbank, South Dakota. Big 10 experience as OC at Indiana (hence the Penix Jr connection) and Indiana has sucked since he left. Reminds me a little of Leipold but would be a better all-around fit at NU than Lance. Sign me up for DeBoer if Trev Alberts sees a CEO-grinder in him.

Fd83rxBXwAAQ0q2.jpg

Yes please. I’ve watched that kid play several times on TV. Extremely talented kid who I think had offers from Wisconsin and Iowa among others. Great athlete and a gun for an arm.
Me too. The competition isn't great, but there's no doubt he can play.

Plus he's from Pierre, so that's an added bonus.

He’s playing the cards he was dealt right now. His first year success is pretty amazing

Meh, it's the Pac-12. I think Mickey would have us near the top of that conference. Nobody plays defense. Hiring Pac-12 coaches has not worked out well for us with Frost and Riley.

DeBoer threw the ball around at Fresno and Indiana, too. Also, that 2019 Indiana team is a mirage, they beat the crappy teams but got shut down by the good teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee...I think we even had more yards of offense when we played them but lost because of turnovers and special teams.

On TOS Callahan said Nebraska is his dream job and the only job he would leave Washington for. He is a Midwest guy and a heck of a coach, should he be at the top of our wish list?
It seems strange to me that he would want to leave UDub after only one year. I know you will never get me to move back over the mountains to Seattle so the demise of the city could be part of it. The University also has a very woke culture. A Midwest guy could easily feel like a fish out of water over there. There is a phenomenon known as the Seattle Freeze. Natives are much like their weather. They are just lukewarm to other people. They are not rude or mean to people, just not overly friendly.

It seems strange to me that he would want to leave UDub after only one year. I know you will never get me to move back over the mountains to Seattle so the demise of the city could be part of it. The University also has a very woke culture. A Midwest guy could easily feel like a fish out of water over there. There is a phenomenon known as the Seattle Freeze. Natives are much like their weather. They are just lukewarm to other people. They are not rude or mean to people, just not overly friendly.

The timing obviously isn’t good, but this could be the only chance he has at the Nebraska job. Jobs are open when they are open, not necessarily when we want the to be. I hope Trev has at least reached out to his people.

Meh, it's the Pac-12. I think Mickey would have us near the top of that conference. Nobody plays defense. Hiring Pac-12 coaches has not worked out well for us with Frost and Riley.

DeBoer threw the ball around at Fresno and Indiana, too. Also, that 2019 Indiana team is a mirage, they beat the crappy teams but got shut down by the good teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee...I think we even had more yards of offense when we played them but lost because of turnovers and special teams.
Nobody plays defense anymore. Where do they play defense? You ever look at SEC and Big 12 scores? Throw in the ACC too. I watch a lot of college football. The National press seems to think the SEC is the best in the land and plays the best defense. How come their games are always something like 45-38? The BIG used to be famous for 14-10 games back when I was a kid. Those scores are getting rarer and rarer.

He’s playing the cards he was dealt right now. His first year success is pretty amazing

Indiana got shut down by Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St? Crazy.

Last edited:
Nobody plays defense anymore. Where do they play defense? You ever look at SEC and Big 12 scores? Throw in the ACC too. I watch a lot of college football. The National press seems to think the SEC is the best in the land and plays the best defense. How come their games are always something like 45-38? The BIG used to be famous for 14-10 games back when I was a kid. Those scores are getting rarer and rarer.

The Big Ten has the Top 3 defenses in the country and 5 of the Top 10 defenses.

Meanwhile, 9 of the 12 teams in the Pac-12 rank in the bottom half of the entire NCAA in defense.

Anyone who thinks that throwing the ball 50 times a game and treating defense like an afterthought is a winning formula at Nebraska, clearly hasn't learned anything from history.

Meanwhile, 9 of the 12 teams in the Pac-12 rank in the bottom half of the entire NCAA in defense.

Anyone who thinks that throwing the ball 50 times a game and treating defense like an afterthought is a winning formula at Nebraska, clearly hasn't learned anything from history.
On another note 10 of the 14 B1G teams are 57 to 130th in total offense too.

Can you rank offenses now, please?

Good defense or bad offense - always the question for those who pay little attention

The answer always comes in bowl season - the big ten can’t play offense while other leagues go up and down the field on their “top defenses”

Yeah but...look at the lame dick offenses in the Big Ten

Iowa
Nebraska
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Indiana
Minny (once conference started)

I mean, the big ten has some lame offensive teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT