ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen DeBoer

A

anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2

I really like this coach. He’s in his first year with the Huskies and they’re a fun team to watch. Whole team looks like they’re playing loose and having a blast too! O, D, ST all looked dialed in against MSU. I’m sure Coach Allen wishes he was still his OC at Indiana—DeBoer had that offense rollin’

He’s a SD native, knows the Midwest, he’s only 47… I believe great potential to be a solid long-term coach. UW is top 15 favored over UCLA Friday night. Should be a good game, both teams 4-0.

Older proven coaches are great, my concern is one of those guys coming in for the payday and not really wanting to ‘grind’ it out—as been said, then gone in 3 years.

I’d rather take a chance on a an up-and-comer that’s still hungry and has another 20 - 25 years to go. Problem is DeBoer is first year at UW and doing great—really on peoples radar now the last few years and would likely be a long shot.

I’ll never give up on the Huskers. Just ready for some stability—these last two games were almost exhausting to attend. ‘Almost’, they were. Need some wins!! GBR!!

P.S. Why isn’t DeBoer on anyone’s list? What am I missing?

I like Jeff Monken. I’m sure he’ll take a bigger job soon. Illinois guy, probably be there now if Bielema wasn’t available at the time

His cousin Todd Monken, the OC at Georgia is interesting too.

I really like this coach. He’s in his first year with the Huskies and they’re a fun team to watch. Whole team looks like they’re playing loose and having a blast too! O, D, ST all looked dialed in against MSU. I’m sure Coach Allen wishes he was still his OC at Indiana—DeBoer had that offense rollin’

He’s a SD native, knows the Midwest, he’s only 47… I believe great potential to be a solid long-term coach. UW is top 15 favored over UCLA Friday night. Should be a good game, both teams 4-0.

Older proven coaches are great, my concern is one of those guys coming in for the payday and not really wanting to ‘grind’ it out—as been said, then gone in 3 years.

I’d rather take a chance on a an up-and-comer that’s still hungry and has another 20 - 25 years to go. Problem is DeBoer is first year at UW and doing great—really on peoples radar now the last few years and would likely be a long shot.

I’ll never give up on the Huskers. Just ready for some stability—these last two games were almost exhausting to attend. ‘Almost’, they were. Need some wins!! GBR!!

I like Jeff Monken. I’m sure he’ll take a bigger job soon. Illinois guy, probably be there now if Bielema wasn’t available at the time

He was on my list last year, but the usual suspects objected
*Lack of relevant experience
*Hasn't led a major program
*Concerns about alleged lack of interest in defense
*Yada yada blah blah

Illini fans did not like the idea of Jeff coming to Illinois, they felt there would be a bit of a ceiling with him, maybe so, who knows.

He made Tom Allen a lot of money. I'd take him at Purdue if Brohm leaves.

• Haha
Reactions: thall_ and headcard
I think he COULD be good here....but we are at a time where I don't want could. I need someone who has done it before at this level. No more guessing

Huge buyout?

Good young coach with Midwest roots. I like him, but it seems like nit would be tough to get him to leave UW after one season, especially since his daughter just committed to play softball there.
New poster sounds like an athletic department employee trolling to gauge fan reaction to a given coach. Either that or it's his mom.....

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
He's high on my list, and I like him better than Aranda/Leipold. I think he'd be a phenomenal hire, and I think he'd stay as long as we wanted him. I think he's a full tier above Leipold and with Aranda, I'm worried how much loyalty a guy like that would have with zero ties to the area.

Reactions: anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2
New poster sounds like an athletic department employee trolling to gauge fan reaction to a given coach. Either that or it's his mom.....
martial arts nut punch GIF
Incorrect

Reactions: leodisflowers
Washington just hired him, but we shall see. He’s only making low to mid 3s, so a five year at 5mil+ would certainly be a nice raise

Reactions: BleedRed78
From 247sports.com: "His buyout is $12 million if he leaves before January 31, 2023"

That might be a reason, although what's another $12M at this point?

Considering they just gifted Frost $7.5M two weeks ago, don’t think they’d lose much sleep over his buyout

Reactions: BleedRed78
He's high on my list, and I like him better than Aranda/Leipold. I think he'd be a phenomenal hire, and I think he'd stay as long as we wanted him. I think he's a full tier above Leipold and with Aranda, I'm worried how much loyalty a guy like that would have with zero ties to the area.

Do you think we could get him?

Washington just hired him, but we shall see. He’s only making low to mid 3s, so a five year at 5mil+ would certainly be a nice raise
Please, do not think for a minute U Dub does not have the resources to pay him. U Dub is huge with a very powerful and rich alumni. When Don James had the Huskies rolling, he got anything he wanted. You do have to appease the Left when working there. The president is really liberal (She would not play well at all in Lincoln). The AD, a woman, has made some good hires, so maybe she has been able to somewhat shield her department from the administration. To be the Washington Head Football Coach you definitely have a line you have to walk. (I think that is partly why Petersen left. It is just a guess, and I don't know his politics at all. I do think there is more outside pressure not involving football when coaching football at U Dub or for that matter most of the other Pac 12 schools that a coach would not have in the Midwest or South.)

5 mil isn't going to get him here. It's the art of negotiation. If you go less than double, it's incredibly easy for the other program to match. If we're serious, we'd offer triple his current salary. Let's the coach know you have serious interest and puts pressure on the other program if they want to match it or not.

If you like DeBoer then you have to like Lance Leipold....Midwest guy

6x DIII championships
10 win season at Buffalo (also was 6-1 on Covid year)
Currently 4-0 at Kansas
I do like Leipold, I just like DeBoer more. 11 years younger (maybe more of a long-term hire), grew up closer in SD, played and coached in Sioux Falls. Gut just tells me he’s a natural fit.

Leipold’s roots are more WI—doesn’t mean much, I know he has a history at UNO & NU. Eastern Midwest is different from Western Midwest. Again, thinking more long term, which one would be more comfortable putting down roots in Lincoln

No guarantee that anyone will be a sure-fire success, but you can consider other variables in making the right choice

He may have lucked out somewhat this year having a healthy Michael Pennix as his QB. He needs a bigger body of work to be a top candidate in my opinion.

Reactions: mgbreis
He may have lucked out somewhat this year having a healthy Michael Pennix as his QB. He needs a bigger body of work to be a top candidate in my opinion.
I hear what you’re saying… that could be true. Unfortunately, time is a luxury our decision makers don’t have.

For the record, I like Mickey a lot too. Would love to see him kill it and get the reins after this year. If the season does not play out in his favor, and we aren’t able to get our main target, I would give him another chance to continue next season on a 1 year contract. Mickey is a great coach and recruiter. This would give him more time to grow into the role, or give us more time to make the right hire. Sounds like a win-win to me

I hear what you’re saying… that could be true. Unfortunately, time is a luxury our decision makers don’t have.

For the record, I like Mickey a lot too. Would love to see him kill it and get the reins after this year. If the season does not play out in his favor, and we aren’t able to get our main target, I would give him another chance to continue next season on a 1 year contract. Mickey is a great coach and recruiter. This would give him more time to grow into the role, or give us more time to make the right hire. Sounds like a win-win to me
Why do people think someone as unqualified IHCMJ for the Head Coaching Position at Nebraska. Why Would that be a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
I like DeBoer but agree, his body of work just isn’t big enough to consider with the $12 mil buyout stated above and seemingly needing to pay $6+mil per season. Hell no, go with Leipold or Fickell or someone else

Reactions: WHCSC
Why do people think someone as unqualified IHCMJ for the Head Coaching Position at Nebraska. Would be a win.
What makes you so sure that MJ is unqualified? He has head coaching experience and was associate head coach at LSU in ‘20 with 1 NC as WR coach in ‘19. Now getting further head coaching experience.

He’s familiar with the program, he’s been our best recruiter by far, which is a pretty big deal last time I checked

I think I’d rather give him more time and a chance to build something than jump at a lot of the names being thrown out.

I’m sure I’ll be torn apart for this, but I don’t want anyone with Iowa or Wisconsin ties—or strong ties at least—it just seems sacrilegious. (Trev, I know, he’s an exception.) I’m sure those guys are great people, I just don’t want to see them donning the holy attire of Scarlet and Cream. GBR!!

What makes you so sure that MJ is unqualified? He has head coaching experience and was associate head coach at LSU in ‘20 with 1 NC as WR coach in ‘19. Now getting further head coaching experience.

He’s familiar with the program, he’s been our best recruiter by far, which is a pretty big deal last time I checked

I think I’d rather give him more time and a chance to build something than jump at a lot of the names being thrown out.

I’m sure I’ll be torn apart for this, but I don’t want anyone with Iowa or Wisconsin ties—or strong ties at least—it just seems sacrilegious. (Trev, I know, he’s an exception.) I’m sure those guys are great people, I just don’t want to see them donning the holy attire of Scarlet and Cream. GBR!!
I could give two rips who the new coach has past ties with, as long as he wins games.

I like DeBoer but agree, his body of work just isn’t big enough to consider with the $12 mil buyout stated above and seemingly needing to pay $6+mil per season. Hell no, go with Leipold or Fickell or someone else
It's the price of stupidity. Could have gotten him last year for cheap if we fired Frost like we should have. Now we're going to have to pay up, and that's true of any coach with P5 experience. $6 million+ is probably the minimum we're looking at with that type of experience and some will require even more than that in order to be enticed. If you want to go cheaper, it'll have to be an up and comer coordinator or small program coach, but we're not going to lure a P5 head coach for any less than that. Fickell and Leipold will both require at least that much.

ADVERTISEMENT