ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Helms

Given a choice(obviously that’s not an even a deal), take Helms over Riley all day every day.

What is his position? I honestly don't know.

Knowing everything about the program as well as having sons that weren’t offered by Nebraska that were D1 kids, including one that will likely get drafted this spring.

Knowing everything about the program as well as having sons that weren’t offered by Nebraska that were D1 kids, including one that will likely get drafted this spring.

Cade Johnson wasn’t offered by anyone. He walked on at SDSU. Cade’s rise as a football player is remarkable, but this whole notion that Clester’s boys were “snubbed” by Nebraska is beyond ridiculous. It’s sad that people in the metro put stock into his drama.

Last edited:
Well let’s pit this in perspective, Nebraska landed a really good crop of TE this year. Why would Kaden want to compete against those kids .
Without knowing who has left, some of the programs in his top 10 had strong TE classes the past couple of years. On the reverse, Michigan has only signed two TE’s the past two years and didn’t make his top 10.

It shouldn't be hard to understand why some of these kids want to play out of state. Part of it is the desire to spread their wings. There isn't much you can or should do to discourage that instinct. The other factor is the hard cold fact that Nebraska is a non factor on the college football landscape. We suck something awful, and kids like Helms know it. There is very little excitement around the program. We're all super fans here, and even the most optimistic among us thinks a good year is 6-7 wins. If Nebraska starts winning again fewer local kids will choose to leave. There will always be some who want to go, and that's normal, but there will be fewer. Until we start winning there isn't much point in whining about all of the players we're missing out on.

Right? Even if he did, what does that mean?

He is clearly not helping Nebraska get players.
My oldest daughter is involved in coaching, at the HS club level, and if a player shows interest in her Alma Mater, she will always tell both the good and the bad, but at no point will any of those players take from the discussion that the school would be a bad place for them to go, or even discourage them from pursuing that school.

I get the feeling the elder Johnson is using his children's perceived snub to both bad mouth the program and discourage the players he knows from pursuing Nebraska.

He is clearly not helping Nebraska get players.
My oldest daughter is involved in coaching, at the HS club level, and if a player shows interest in her Alma Mater, she will always tell both the good and the bad, but at no point will any of those players take from the discussion that the school would be a bad place for them to go, or even discourage them from pursuing that school.

I get the feeling the elder Johnson is using his children's perceived snub to both bad mouth the program and discourage the players he knows from pursuing Nebraska.
For sure. I was just trying to get clarification from @PeliniTheCrutch as to why Johnson would do that. He (PTC) gave an answer like he knew, but to me it was a very vague answer.

I get wanting to get out of the state and experience something different but Ames or Iowa City aren't that.

Yeah, and I don't even know why he bothered releasing a Top 10 when it sounds like he's 99% set on Oklahoma. Saying you want to experience a different part of the country, then putting Iowa and ISU in there doesn't make much sense.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play for Matt Campbell, but Ames is one college town that's even more boring than Lincoln and Omaha.

Yeah, and I don't even know why he bothered releasing a Top 10 when it sounds like he's 99% set on Oklahoma. Saying you want to experience a different part of the country, then putting Iowa and ISU in there doesn't make much sense.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play for Matt Campbell, but Ames is one college town that's even more boring than Lincoln and Omaha.
Yeah, but there are currently better football programs in Ames and Iowa City than in Lincoln, Nebraska. So while those towns won't offer wildly different college experiences than what he might find in Nebraska, I'm guessing there is a lot more excitement around those football programs. Worse still, those schools might be 9-10 on his list, which really drives home the point that Nebraska is an afterthought.

This is a very big year for Frost.

I agree with you, but OU has had a dominant football program, and Norman is like 20 minutes for OKC.

I know we all love Osborne, but this is one situation where I wish he was a little stronger personality. Like, I know it's not who he is but it'd be nice if he'd call up Clester and ask him WTF his problem is.

Seriously though, in-state passion and excitement for Nebraska football is at a 30ish year (more?) low. We better start winning.

I enjoyed living in OKC for 5 years.in 95-2000..not a dump and had plenty of beautiful women as well...i rocked my Husker sticker on my ride as well.. OU was very down then...just saying

I wouldn't bet the house on Clester's kid getting drafted. He's more likely to sign as an UDFA with the Vikings and either be a practice team guy or maybe make the roster as a special teams returner.

Reactions: saltsdogg
I know we all love Osborne, but this is one situation where I wish he was a little stronger personality. Like, I know it's not who he is but it'd be nice if he'd call up Clester and ask him WTF his problem is.

Seriously though, in-state passion and excitement for Nebraska football is at a 30ish year (more?) low. We better start winning.
Butthurt papa who knows that his kid would have a tough time getting early playing time at NU.

He wants to get out of state but he's going to Norman? Wow. I've been there for games, and for business with nothing going on. Its a dump, as is most of Oklahoma.
Lots of hot women in Norman. Amazingly I run in to a TON of native Nebraskans who are OU fans. Bandwagon mostly I think.

If a kid doesn't want to play for NU, then he shouldn't. I don't care if he grew up a couple of blocks from the stadium. Go somewhere else. It's a free country.
As for Clester, he can go piss up a rope if he is actively steering kids away from the program.

If a kid doesn't want to play for NU, then he shouldn't. I don't care if he grew up a couple of blocks from the stadium. Go somewhere else. It's a free country.
As for Clester, he can go piss up a rope if he is actively steering kids away from the program.
Totally agree. As long as we're getting talented kids I don't care where they're from. Playing better football is the issue, not missing out on recruits from Omaha.

Yeah, but there are currently better football programs in Ames and Iowa City than in Lincoln, Nebraska. So while those towns won't offer wildly different college experiences than what he might find in Nebraska, I'm guessing there is a lot more excitement around those football programs. Worse still, those schools might be 9-10 on his list, which really drives home the point that Nebraska is an afterthought.

This is a very big year for Frost.

Yes, that's why I said I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go to ISU for football reasons. But when he says he's not interested in Nebraska only because he wants to experience living somewhere different, it makes no sense that he would be interested in living in Ames, Iowa for the next 4-5 years. And Norman, Oklahoma isn't much of a different experience either.

Which makes me believe he just gave Frost a polite excuse, rather than tell him he's not interested because Nebraska sucks right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT