ADVERTISEMENT

Kade McIntyre Fremont Bergan LB NOW a OU commit

I read the article but thought it was his grandfather who was an OU fan, not the father but I could easily be mistaken. Sounded like the kid just felt it was the right place when he got there. It happens in Lincoln as well as we hear the stories.
I think the point of mentioning the grandfather is that he recently passed. It is my understanding that the family shared his fandom in OU football.

Are you serious? It's not hard to figure out.
I tend to agree that it is pretty simple to figure out who the top 6-8 players in state are. The hard part is determining where the line needs to be drawn. Does the 6th best player get a scholarship offer, is he better than what you can get out of state? etc...

Reactions: WHCSC
I tend to agree that it is pretty simple to figure out who the top 6-8 players in state are. The hard part is determining where the line needs to be drawn. Does the 6th best player get a scholarship offer, is he better than what you can get out of state? etc...
The answer is get both.

no more class limits. bottom 10-15% of second-, third-, and fourth-year players on the roster should churn every year.

I read the article but thought it was his grandfather who was an OU fan, not the father but I could easily be mistaken. Sounded like the kid just felt it was the right place when he got there. It happens in Lincoln as well as we hear the stories.
I don’t know why everyone is having a tissy fit over this , Nebraska offered him as a LB as well as Tennessee and others.He wants to play offense, Oklahoma offered him on that side, He said yes , Good luck to the kid.

We offered on defense, Oklahoma offered on Offense, he wants to play offense, you guys are acting like we never offered!

I don’t know why everyone is having a tissy fit over this , Nebraska offered him as a LB as well as Tennessee and others.He wants to play offense, Oklahoma offered him on that side, He said yes , Good luck to the kid.
Yeah, we can move on quickly from this kid. Somehow defensive genius Brett Venables agrees that he's better suited to the offense. 🥴.

Maybe tell the kid what he wants to hear and then strong arm him over once the ink is dry.

We offered on defense, Oklahoma offered on Offense, he wants to play offense, you guys are acting like we never offered!
As I wrote, he didn't appear to be at all interested in Nebraska even if they offered him on offense.

The offer came after the comments by Joseph about locking down the state. coincidence??? Without that comment, he may not get the offer.

I personally never got the feeling KM wanted to be a Husker in the first place and his vision was bigger and better. Most of his interviews read that way. I highly doubt he slighted us because we were late to the table. As for those hometown kids who chose other Nebraska and do good, it doesn't mean they'd be good here. My personal feeling on Burrow's at Nebraska, he would have flopped based on the team around him. LSU was the right place at the right time and because of that he excelled. had he stayed at Ohio State he would have remained a backup at best. To say because a kid is from Nebraska, he needs to play for Nebraska is hyperbole used to push a much larger agenda and that agenda is dislike for the coaching staff.

I personally never got the feeling KM wanted to be a Husker in the first place and his vision was bigger and better. Most of his interviews read that way. I highly doubt he slighted us because we were late to the table. As for those hometown kids who chose other Nebraska and do good, it doesn't mean they'd be good here. My personal feeling on Burrow's at Nebraska, he would have flopped based on the team around him. LSU was the right place at the right time and because of that he excelled. had he stayed at Ohio State he would have remained a backup at best. To say because a kid is from Nebraska, he needs to play for Nebraska is hyperbole used to push a much larger agenda and that agenda is dislike for the coaching staff.
The next time a coach comes to Nebraska and wins without prioritizing in-state kids will be the first time

why some ignore this basic fact is beyond me

The next time a coach comes to Nebraska and wins without prioritizing in-state kids will be the first time

why some ignore this basic fact is beyond me
Literally half of the current committed players for 2023 are in state kids. That seems to fit the definition of prioritizing.

From 2018-2021 the following 5 players, that were listed in the top 5 or top 10 players from Nebraska during that time, went to a P5 school instead of Nebraska. The rest either went to Nebraska or went to a G6 school.

Bryson Williams to Wisconsin - 27 career tackles and no sacks and 1 tackle for a loss in 4 years.
Xavier Watts to ND - so far mostly a special team guy for ND at Safety.
Will Swanson to Kansas St. - Has played in 4 games as a blocking TE
Avante Dickerson to Oregon - Is a 2nd team CB behind two other sophomores and didn't play in 2021
Keagan Johnson to Iowa - Doing well at Iowa, started as a freshman. There appears to be a back story with Johnson's dad and Nebraska recruitment of his kids.

2022 class is too early to tell, although they almost all left the state, a couple with ties to Papa Johnson who I speculate helped steer the ship when it came to recruiting.

2023 again 4 players already committed, all of the top 10, with the exceptions of Zane Flores and Rocco Marcelino were offered. Marcelino does not currently have any P5 offers according to Rivals.

Outside of the 2022 class, again there seemed to be some outside influence, I just don't think anyone can look at that info and say the staff is not prioritizing in state players with P5 level abilities as high school players.

I am not certain how you got a "tissy fit" out of my post. He can go wherever he wants, just like every other kid that gets recruited. More power to him.

And I always heard it was a hissy fit! ;)

Yeah, we can move on quickly from this kid. Somehow defensive genius Brett Venables agrees that he's better suited to the offense. 🥴.

Maybe tell the kid what he wants to hear and then strong arm him over once the ink is dry.
The trouble is with that tactic ,the players now have a ace in their pocket, the transfer portal, not as easy to just tell him what he wants to hear get the signature.
I

Reactions: BleedRed78
These "stud" of Nebraska should try to go to camps and test themselves against a lot of the big time prospects. I can remember when Jared Crick was only being recruited by Kansas, San Diego St, and Cincinnati. We went down to an Under Armor all star camp and blew up because he made a lot of the 4/5 stars look silly. After that his offers blew up including a call from ole Billy C.

The trouble is with that tactic ,the players now have a ace in their pocket, the transfer portal, not as easy to just tell him what he wants to hear get the signature.
I
Maybe. There are what 2500 kids in the portal, many of them wont find a chair when the music stops.

These "stud" of Nebraska should try to go to camps and test themselves against a lot of the big time prospects. I can remember when Jared Crick was only being recruited by Kansas, San Diego St, and Cincinnati. We went down to an Under Armor all star camp and blew up because he made a lot of the 4/5 stars look silly. After that his offers blew up including a call from ole Billy C.
Many of these athletes are going to camps. The biggest issue with Nebraska high school sports, and those from other less populated states is coaching and player development.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good coaches out there, but some of the best coaches leave the state or do something else because Nebraska high school coaches don't get paid well.

Andrew Shanle is coaching down here in Houston area, I would bet he is making 80 to 100k to only coach football and not teach a single subject. Plus he has a football period for varsity and another for sub varsity players. I know my high school coach was teaching 6 periods of English, had a single conference period, and we were limited to 2 hours after school, and could only practice during season.

So the draw to go somewhere else is huge. So what happens is states that pay more, get better coaches, The other thing is player development. Many of those camps used to just gauge athleticism. 40 times, cone drills, etc.. now they have linemen challenges and 1 on 1 drills where kids from other states, with excellent coaching, have been taught the finer points of blocking or pass rushing technique and don't just rely on their God given abilities. Then population factors in, I know I have written this before but some of the high schools in Houston or Dallas will put out more P5 players in a season than the entire state of Nebraska does. So each day those kids are going against other P5 players in practice. So when they do go to camps, they just look better than other kids do.

The down side to that, from a recruiting standpoint, is that sometimes, those players from California, Texas, Florida or other recruiting hotbeds have reached their peak or are very close to their ceiling when they get to college. So they are better ready to play immediately but since they are near their peak, you don't see the amount of improvement that you see from a more raw player.

Last edited:
Many of these athletes are going to camps. The biggest issue with Nebraska high school sports, and those from other less populated states is coaching and player development.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good coaches out there, but some of the best coaches leave the state or do something else because Nebraska high school coaches don't get paid well.

Andrew Shanle is coaching down here in Houston area, I would bet he is making 80 to 100k to only coach football and not teach a single subject. Plus he has a football period for varsity and another for sub varsity players. I know my high school coach was teaching 6 periods of English, had a single conference period, and we were limited to 2 hours after school, and could only practice during season.

So the draw to go somewhere else is huge. So what happens is states that pay more, get better coaches, The other thing is player development. Many of those camps used to just gauge athleticism. 40 times, cone drills, etc.. now they have linemen challenges and 1 on 1 drills where kids from other states, with excellent coaching, have been taught the finer points of blocking or pass rushing technique and don't just rely on their God given abilities. Then population factors in, I know I have written this before but some of the high schools in Houston or Dallas will put out more P5 players in a season than the entire state of Nebraska does. So each day those kids are going against other P5 players in practice. So when they do go to camps, they just look better than other kids do.

The down side to that, from a recruiting standpoint, is that sometimes, those players from California, Texas, Florida or other recruiting hotbeds have reached their peak or are very close to their ceiling when they get to college. So they are better ready to play immediately but since they are near their peak, you don't see the amount of improvement that you see from a more raw player.
I 100% agree with you. Probably 60% of the coaches in Nebraska have no business coaching football and are probably doing it because they get about an extra 4K a year and that goes for most of the sports (men and women). I'm with most of what you are saying. It shouldn't be that hard to identify the top however many players and from there if you are a fringe guy, for me, go try and test yourself at a big time camp. I think a lot do, but I think there are also a lot of kids who don't that end up quitting sports in general just because they aren't getting the hoopla.

I 100% agree with you. Probably 60% of the coaches in Nebraska have no business coaching football and are probably doing it because they get about an extra 4K a year and that goes for most of the sports (men and women). I'm with most of what you are saying. It shouldn't be that hard to identify the top however many players and from there if you are a fringe guy, for me, go try and test yourself at a big time camp. I think a lot do, but I think there are also a lot of kids who don't that end up quitting sports in general just because they aren't getting the hoopla.
Good points. Another thing that factors in is that many of the kids from smaller populated states are the best players at every sport. So they can't take a weekend and go to the whatever camp because the baseball, wrestling or basketball team would miss them. Or there is a huge track meet the weekend of the camp. The community pressure on those kids and their families is a big deal. Many of the top kids down here will play football, run track and play 7 on 7 football. Some will play basketball, but they aren't counted on because there are kids that are better basketball players. If that makes sense.

True. It's the Scott Frost Show!
This..

To me, the whole effing thing stinks of Frost-isms.

I get the arguments about being too much of a homer and giving scholarships to in state kids, when in the TO era, even good in state kids didn't get scholarships. They were expected to walk on, and I always felt like in-state talent was treated like garbage, but back then the team was actually mega successful, so you couldn't really question it.

These days, the team has been absolute trash, so missing out on good in state kids, is like rubbing salt in the wound for a lot of people, including me..

Well pretty much everything Scott Frost does, including evaluating players rubs me the wrong way.

If we had a better head coach, one who has his head screwed on straight, maybe we could have our cake and eat it too once in awhile.

We got Ameer because everyone in his backyard want him on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt this kid ends up half as accomplished as Ameer but you can’t blame him for picking the best fit for him. You win some you lose some. He won’t be the last.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
This..

To me, the whole effing thing stinks of Frost-isms.

I get the arguments about being too much of a homer and giving scholarships to in state kids, when in the TO era, even good in state kids didn't get scholarships. They were expected to walk on, and I always felt like in-state talent was treated like garbage, but back then the team was actually mega successful, so you couldn't really question it.

These days, the team has been absolute trash, so missing out on good in state kids, is like rubbing salt in the wound for a lot of people, including me..

Well pretty much everything Scott Frost does, including evaluating players rubs me the wrong way.

If we had a better head coach, one who has his head screwed on straight, maybe we could have our cake and eat it too once in awhile.
This has nothing to do with our head coach , the kid wants to play offense, I have seen the kid play , my opinion is he is a JoJo Damon type player on defense, Oklahoma said we will take you on offense, we will see what happens.

We got Ameer because everyone in his backyard want him on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt this kid ends up half as accomplished as Ameer but you can’t blame him for picking the best fit for him. You win some you lose some. He won’t be the last.
Well I trust Mickey and Beckton. If neither of them wanted to offer him to play on offense, then so be it.

Now if the kid had wanted to play LB and Ruud wasn’t offering and he went to OU, that would be a major concern. Ruud doesn’t have the credit the others have when it comes to coaching. But that’s not how it played out.

And it comes down to a numbers game. We already took a TE in this class with Brahmer and only have one departing after this year. If we’d had taken Kade and not brahmer a lot would be bitching about not taking Brahmer. When we land Malachi most of you will be satisfied with instate recruiting

also remember UGA doesn’t get everyone it wants in the state of Georgia. Florida doesn’t get everyone it wants in Florida. USC doesn’t get everyone it wants in cal. Etc

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
Well I trust Mickey and Beckton. If neither of them wanted to offer him to play on offense, then so be it.

Now if the kid had wanted to play LB and Ruud wasn’t offering and he went to OU, that would be a major concern. Ruud doesn’t have the credit the others have when it comes to coaching. But that’s not how it played out.

And it comes down to a numbers game. We already took a TE in this class with Brahmer and only have one departing after this year. If we’d had taken Kade and not brahmer a lot would be bitching about not taking Brahmer

also remember UGA doesn’t get everyone it wants in the state of Georgia. Florida doesn’t get everyone it wants in Florida. USC doesn’t get everyone it wants in cal. Etc
I was with you until the last paragraph. Small states need to keep all their top players because there are so few 4 and 5 stars players. For example the state of Georgia has 32 4 stars in the 2023 class.

I was with you until the last paragraph. Small states need to keep all their top players because there are so few 4 and 5 stars players. For example the state of Georgia has 32 4 stars in the 2023 class.
Has Nebraska even produced 32 4-stars over a 20 year time span?

I agree with that for the most part and I think NU will keep the top 4/5 players in the state this year. But of course that’s depending on who you consider the top 5 players are. Kades not in most’s top 5. Zane really the only one probably in that group but the staff wasn’t high on him. Like I believe you said earlier, this is just a freak year that the state has a legit top ten and we can’t really take them all.

now last years in state recruiting was awful. I don’t think that would have happen had we had the new staff members we have now

I agree with that for the most part and I think NU will keep the top 4/5 players in the state this year. But of course that’s depending on who you consider the top 5 players are. Kades not in most’s top 5. Zane really the only one probably in that group but the staff wasn’t high on him. Like I believe you said earlier, this is just a freak year that the state has a legit top ten and we can’t really take them all.

now last years in state recruiting was awful. I don’t think that would have happen had we had the new staff members we have now
I would agree that having Applewhite and Joseph would have helped but I do believe there is something to the Bell West kids and Johnson stuff. Which, of course, affected how the top 4 was recruited. The fact that it is just a one year and not a trend is why I lean that way.

Interesting discussion on the in-state kids. It probably isn't that difficult for talent analyst, i.e the coaches to determine who the top 5 players in the state are in any given year. The problem comes in the next five and also by the press they receive. We hear about how great a kid is and their stats are eye popping and the average arm chair person thinks they would look great in scarlet and cream.

What is left are a bunch of wanna be fans (me included) giving our two cents and hoping the home grown kids make good. It is also popular to bring up the misses in the past while the memory is short on those who left and didn't make the big splash.

With this day of kids desiring to explore the world outside of Nebraska and given our recent sucky past, why should the recent misses be a surprise?

Reactions: wkato
I would agree that having Applewhite and Joseph would have helped but I do believe there is something to the Bell West kids and Johnson stuff. Which, of course, affected how the top 4 was recruited. The fact that it is just a one year and not a trend is why I lean that way.
FYI. Heard radio discussion this morning that the Johnson family will be holding a football camp at B. West sometime this weekend I believe for QB’s and WR’s.

Literally half of the current committed players for 2023 are in state kids. That seems to fit the definition of prioritizing.

From 2018-2021 the following 5 players, that were listed in the top 5 or top 10 players from Nebraska during that time, went to a P5 school instead of Nebraska. The rest either went to Nebraska or went to a G6 school.

Bryson Williams to Wisconsin - 27 career tackles and no sacks and 1 tackle for a loss in 4 years.
Xavier Watts to ND - so far mostly a special team guy for ND at Safety.
Will Swanson to Kansas St. - Has played in 4 games as a blocking TE
Avante Dickerson to Oregon - Is a 2nd team CB behind two other sophomores and didn't play in 2021
Keagan Johnson to Iowa - Doing well at Iowa, started as a freshman. There appears to be a back story with Johnson's dad and Nebraska recruitment of his kids.

2022 class is too early to tell, although they almost all left the state, a couple with ties to Papa Johnson who I speculate helped steer the ship when it came to recruiting.

2023 again 4 players already committed, all of the top 10, with the exceptions of Zane Flores and Rocco Marcelino were offered. Marcelino does not currently have any P5 offers according to Rivals.

Outside of the 2022 class, again there seemed to be some outside influence, I just don't think anyone can look at that info and say the staff is not prioritizing in state players with P5 level abilities as high school players.
All wrong - man stop and focus on how SF can make NU better! Kids need to see some progress before they commit plan and simple bro

Congratulations to the young man. Except when OU plays the Huskers I hope he is able to put up a wonderful career and get a great education.

Kade did not take a hard line with teams regarding playing offense versus defense - it is being portrayed like that because he chose a school other than Nebraska

ADVERTISEMENT