ADVERTISEMENT

K. Greene in transfer portal.

And Arkansas

Ed Manning and the University of Kansas say hello...

college-basketball-kansas-coach-larry-brown-with-assistant-ed-manning-picture-id150626143

More like they need to find Mama a nice house and good job in Lincoln. It worked for USC.
I hate when I hear that parents are playing a part in having their kids move closer to home... as parents it’s your job to encourage your kids to push themselves to succeed even if it makes you a little uncomfortable and lonely as the parent

I guess I look at all of this a bit differently.

Ran a private school of about 200 and I quickly learned that parents often pulled their kids out at some point along the way. Just before Kindergarten, middle school, high school. It always bothered me to lose those kids and families but I soon realized there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I don't know and don't really care why each one left. I can't do anything about it. I have to assume the coaches evaluate every single thing they do from recruiting kids from sea to shining sea, their life in Lincoln, lifestyle changes, college challenges, and just being away from home. They will have to figure out what they could have done differently and fix it if it is fixable.

I am going to guess that Frost and Co. didn't have this kind of problem at UCF as most recruits came from the area/state and home was a quick trip away. I could drive myself crazy thinking about why they left and reading the bulletin board material only heightens that confusion. Whatever the reason, the administration and coaching staff has to deal with it and understand what is going on.

Shoot, maybe it isn't even as much of a problem as some think, I have nothing to compare to. Either way, while is stinks to lose these guys, it is part of the process for players and coaches to improve the retention.

I hate when I hear that parents are playing a part in having their kids move closer to home... as parents it’s your job to encourage your kids to push themselves to succeed even if it makes you a little uncomfortable and lonely as the parent

for reference purposes with regards to players leaving to be closer to home
of the last 30 recruits from Nebraska that signed to go to a power 5 school - only 2 left the region
26/30 stayed in Nebraska, Iowa, Minn or Kansas

Neb is asking kids to travel, in many cases, extreme distances from their homes and families to attend college- something that it appears Nebraska kids aren't doing

maybe Nebraska kids would, likewise, struggle if things got a bit uncomfortable far away from home and run home to the comforts of mom, dad and high school friends

and that’s just it. If were practicing and getting ready to play, I’m betting anything this would be a different scenario.

pure speculation - maybe he wasn't really happy since he's been to Lincoln and didn't realize how much he missed home.

did he at least have the decency to notify the coaches of his decision?

Who knows what these kids are hearing on social media in today’s world, maybe the recruiting never stops, some of these assistants are pretty slimy

can a recruit have contact with another program or coach prior to being released or entering the portal?

That is three 4 stars from the 2020 class

is anyone keeping track of high profile attrition from other big ten schools?
Curtis Dunlap, 4-star recruit from FL and starting RG at MN, entered transfer portal last week, but withdrew his name the next day.

for reference purposes with regards to players leaving to be closer to home
of the last 30 recruits from Nebraska that signed to go to a power 5 school - only 2 left the region
26/30 stayed in Nebraska, Iowa, Minn or Kansas

Neb is asking kids to travel, in many cases, extreme distances from their homes and families to attend college- something that it appears Nebraska kids aren't doing

maybe Nebraska kids would, likewise, struggle if things got a bit uncomfortable far away from home and run home to the comforts of mom, dad and high school friends
Those are all great points, but I think you’re missing my point here... feeling homesick is a natural thing it happens to pretty much every young adult moving away from home. In an earlier post in this thread I even mentioned that I got home sick, what I didnt mention was how when I called back complaining to my parents how much I wanted to come home, I missed home and hated the military, my parents, who I know never even wanted me to join and wanted me back home, encouraged me to push through they encouraged me to stick with my commitment and reminded me of why I chose to join the service... what people don’t realize is that while in the training phases of the military it’s still pretty easy to get out and go back home and had my parents encouraged me to come home instead of stick it out I would have never had the experiences I’ve had, I wouldn’t have grown to be the person I am today, and I wouldn’t have learned Just how much I do love the military... being homesick sucks but no matter where you’re from a few things will always hold true..

1. The more busy you are the less time you have to think of all the things you miss back home
And
2. You will be influenced by what your parents want, when you are homesick you are vulnerable if your parents put their own wants and desires to the side and push you to honor your commitment you’re more likely to, and on the flip side if they keep reminding you of all the things you already knew you missed and they keep pulling you back, you are way more likely to head back closer to home.

Our young society has very little desire to hold to their commitment, their word means very little any more, look at all the flips, the transfers, the forcing trades in the pros, sitting out, sitting out of bowl games... there are certain situations where I understand and I know it comes off as I’m salty towards these kids but I’m not, at the end of the day only the kids know what is best for them and they need to do what’s best, I just don’t like to see parents influencing their kids like that, they need to remain neutral and help them outline the pros and cons and ensure the kids that everyone back home will support them and be just fine if they stay

So, among other things, isn’t Ron Brown’s role on this staff to prevent just this very thing? Of course there are a ton of external circumstances that I’m sure are having some impact on these guys choosing to move on, but maybe, just maybe Coach Brown’s role as mentor/role model is no longer effective as maybe it has been.
I’m not looking it up, but what other schools in the B1G have lost players to the transfer portal in the last 8 months that had not yet completed 1 year of college eligibility?
IMO, this is a big issue and speaks to some existing internal process that must be addressed.

That is an interesting thought. I didn't like the Ron Brown hire, I don't think he is very relatable to kids today. You don't need a guy with very strong opinions, conservative or not, as the guy to make these kids feel like they belong. His opinions are outdated and most likely not the same as the majority of kids we have on our team.

Those are all great points, but I think you’re missing my point here... feeling homesick is a natural thing it happens to pretty much every young adult moving away from home. In an earlier post in this thread I even mentioned that I got home sick, what I didnt mention was how when I called back complaining to my parents how much I wanted to come home, I missed home and hated the military, my parents, who I know never even wanted me to join and wanted me back home, encouraged me to push through they encouraged me to stick with my commitment and reminded me of why I chose to join the service... what people don’t realize is that while in the training phases of the military it’s still pretty easy to get out and go back home and had my parents encouraged me to come home instead of stick it out I would have never had the experiences I’ve had, I wouldn’t have grown to be the person I am today, and I wouldn’t have learned Just how much I do love the military... being homesick sucks but no matter where you’re from a few things will always hold true..

1. The more busy you are the less time you have to think of all the things you miss back home
And
2. You will be influenced by what your parents want, when you are homesick you are vulnerable if your parents put their own wants and desires to the side and push you to honor your commitment you’re more likely to, and on the flip side if they keep reminding you of all the things you already knew you missed and they keep pulling you back, you are way more likely to head back closer to home.

Our young society has very little desire to hold to their commitment, their word means very little any more, look at all the flips, the transfers, the forcing trades in the pros, sitting out, sitting out of bowl games... there are certain situations where I understand and I know it comes off as I’m salty towards these kids but I’m not, at the end of the day only the kids know what is best for them and they need to do what’s best, I just don’t like to see parents influencing their kids like that, they need to remain neutral and help them outline the pros and cons and ensure the kids that everyone back home will support them and be just fine if they stay

we aren't sure if his parents encouraged or discouraged him from leaving .. maybe he just missed home and decided to leave
maybe the kid should be commended for recognizing things weren't a good fit early and not dragging things out

at minimum I hope he had enough conviction and maturity to talk with the coaches before bailing

didn't Frost bail at Stanford?

Last edited:
Reactions: Melmc
we aren't sure if his parents encouraged or discouraged him from leaving .. maybe he just missed home and decided to leave
maybe the kid should be commended for recognizing things weren't a good fit early and not dragging things out

at minimum I hope he had enough conviction and maturity to talk with the coaches before bailing

didn't our head coach bail at Stanford?

Holy crap, he was there for 2 years.. Comparing leaving without practicing with the team without even taking a shower compared to actually playing for Stanford..

Holy crap, he was there for 2 years.. Comparing leaving without practicing with the team without even taking a shower compared to actually playing for Stanford..

I would rather a kid realize he was home sick and it wasn't going to work out right away than after 2 years

I would rather a kid realize he was home sick and it wasn't going to work out right away than after 2 years

SF was moved to a position he no longer wanted to play from what he was recruited for..

Comparing one from the other is like picking a apple over a orange..

Reactions: timnsun
SF was moved to a position he no longer wanted to play from what he was recruited for..

Comparing one from the other is like picking a apple over a orange..

is it??

According to Steve Frost, Scott's brother and a senior on the Stanford football team, the decision to leave school came over the winter break.

"He's hasn't really been happy since he got here," Steve told The Stanford Daily. "Over break, he realized how much he missed home and how many friends he had at Nebraska."

"I think it (Scott's transferring) didn't have to do with the coaching change as much as people like to believe," said Steve Frost,

Reactions: Melmc
I don’t know, personally, I’d rather see a player at least try for a year or two over a player showing up for a month or couple months, not even taking the field for a single practice and then quitting. One these players (Frost) at least tried, while the other (Greene, in this case) didn’t. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
That is an interesting thought. I didn't like the Ron Brown hire, I don't think he is very relatable to kids today. You don't need a guy with very strong opinions, conservative or not, as the guy to make these kids feel like they belong. His opinions are outdated and most likely not the same as the majority of kids we have on our team.

Pretty sure you just said an honorable man of faith is outdated in todays world and isn't something Nebraska should be associating it's program with.

I'm gonna take the opposite side of that coin.

I don’t know, personally, I’d rather see a player at least try for a year or two over a player showing up for a month or couple months, not even taking the field for a single practice and then quitting. One these players (Frost) at least tried, while the other (Greene, in this case) didn’t. Just my opinion.

At least you and I can see the difference..moving to a position you weren’t recruited for easily contributes to wanting to leave..

Reactions: huskerssalts
At least you and I can see the difference..moving to a position you weren’t recruited for easily contributes to wanting to leave..

regardless of the reasons for leaving ...I certainly hope Mr Greene handled things in a more honorable fashion with our coaching staff

"Frost never met with Willingham, nor told other Stanford coaches of his decision. He was on campus this week to say goodbye to friends and pack up his room. He left Wednesday morning for Nebraska."

regardless of the reasons for leaving ...I certainly hope Mr Greene handled things in a more honorable fashion with our coaching staff

"Frost never met with Willingham, nor told other Stanford coaches of his decision. He was on campus this week to say goodbye to friends and pack up his room. He left Wednesday morning for Nebraska."

Did Willingham recruit SF. Answer is NO.

Did SF already make his mind up to transfer before Willingham was hired Answer is More than likely.

Did Green visit with SF and or anyone on the staff.Answer is We do not know at the present time.

Stanford was expecting Frost to be in competition for the QB position

"When Tyrone Willingham was named Stanford's new head football coach, he expected to have three quarterbacks battling for the starting job in the spring. That number has been reduced to two, now that sophomore Scott Frost has left school and returned home to Wood River, Neb"

do people recall if Gebbia had the honor and decency to notify Frost or at least Verduzco of his intention to transfer?

"When Tyrone Willingham was named Stanford's new head football coach, he expected to have three quarterbacks battling for the starting job in the spring. That number has been reduced to two, now that sophomore Scott Frost has left school and returned home to Wood River, Neb"

do people recall if Gebbia had the honor and decency to notify Frost or at least Verduzco of his intention to transfer?

Gebbia quit the week it was announced he wasn’t the starter a week before the Colorado game..

Gebbia quit the week it was announced he wasn’t the starter a week before the Colorado game..

regardless of the timing ... it is a cowardly approach to not talk or notify your coaches of the intention to transfer

did he at least have the courage to talk with the coaches - the ones that didn't recruit him - about his intentions to leave - or did he just not show up

Wat.. SF transferred in the winter and Gebbia competed in the spring and transferred to Oregon St after not being named the QB before the season opener...

Never heard if he talked to SF when he left other than both were in the room when it was announced...

Wat.. SF transferred in the winter and Gebbia competed in the spring and transferred to Oregon St after not being named the QB before the season opener...

Never heard if he talked to SF when he left other than both were in the room when it was announced...

kudos to the kid for at least having a discussion with his position coach - probably uncomfortable but the mature and honorable thing to do

certainly an approach that most would advocate for their sons or daughters or the players they are coaching -- whether it be deciding to leave a fortune 500 company, a college football team or a position at McDonalds -- be an adult and notify your upline of your decision rather than just not showing up

That all changed Sunday when Gebbia called Verduzco to tell him he was going to ask for his release and transfer, just six days before NU's season-opener against Akron.

"When he called me, he just had a different tone in his voice than when we had talked in person on Saturday," Verduzco recalled Wednesday in his first media availability since the events unfolded.

Sounds like it.
“All I’ll say is we want what’s best for him,” Frost said of Gebbia. “He made the decision with his family what was best for him, and we are going to wish him the best. There was no changing his mind when he came in.”
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/frost-address-gebbia-and-future-of-the-quarterback-position

Reactions: jlb321
kudos to the kid for at least having a discussion with his position coach - probably uncomfortable but the mature and honorable thing to do

certainly an approach that most would advocate for their sons or daughters or the players they are coaching -- whether it be deciding to leave a fortune 500 company, a college football team or a position at McDonalds -- be an adult and notify your upline of your decision rather than just not showing up

That all changed Sunday when Gebbia called Verduzco to tell him he was going to ask for his release and transfer, just six days before NU's season-opener against Akron.

"When he called me, he just had a different tone in his voice than when we had talked in person on Saturday," Verduzco recalled Wednesday in his first media availability since the events unfolded.

And our comparing someone that has made up his mind before the Spring and leaving during the winter to someone that lost the job before the season opener..

At least I can distinguish between the two..

And our comparing someone that has made up his mind before the Spring and leaving during the winter to someone that lost the job before the season opener..

At least I can distinguish between the two..

there is never a right time to choose the dishonorable path

I hope Gebbia and Mr Greene weren't in contact with other coaches while contemplating leaving and prior to getting their release - isn't that a potential NCAA violation?

see, with Greene, he didn’t even give a chance to see if he’d actually like it here or not. You never know, had he at least gave it a year, he very well could have loved it, killed while trying that year out and realized what he could have done.

Frost while at Stanford made it what, you guys said a year or 2? In that time frame he’d would have known for sure how practices would gone, how he would have fit in that System and if he’d liked it or not.

To me, it’s easy to see the difference here. One tried, didn’t like how things were shaping up (how every it maybe) and decided to go back home (we all know for fact that was the right move for Frost, hell, he even won a National Title while being the starting QB). K Greene on the other hand, he didn’t even try. He had no clue how things would have gone or taken shape for himself.

This takes me back to Marlon Lucky, he had the same issues as Greene (homesick and missing friends and family) but instead of quitting, he stuck it out that year. Then he went back home for the summer and thought things over and decided to come back. For him, things worked out and he had a solid career as a Husker and a shot at the NFL. My issue with Greene, Francois and so on, they didn’t even try and I’m pretty sure their scholarships are both tied up now for the year (or something like that).

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
so you would tell Fidone and all other local kids not to go to nebraska?

And

dont pick a school so far away from home and you won't have to go through all this drama.

dont pick a school so far away from home and you won't have to go through all this drama.

Not sure your a Husker fan, but Nebraska has always went after players all over the country.. With your attitude is not a successful attitude at Nebraska....

@jlb321, this is what I’m talking about. You have a dozen or so posts Today with some evidence to support your posts, but constantly present it in a way that casts a negative light on Coach Frost or the program.

Please help me understand the compulsion you feel to constantly stir the pot in this fashion... seriously, why do you do it?

Of course die many (most?) die-hard fans are wearing rose-colored glasses... why do you feel compelled to remove the glasses whenever you can? I just don’t get the satisfaction you so obviously receive by doing this.

@jlb321, this is what I’m talking about. You have a dozen or so posts Today with some evidence to support your posts, but constantly present it in a way that casts a negative light on Coach Frost or the program.

Please help me understand the compulsion you feel to constantly stir the pot in this fashion... seriously, why do you do it?

Of course die many (most?) die-hard fans are wearing rose-colored glasses... why do you feel compelled to remove the glasses whenever you can? I just don’t get the satisfaction you so obviously receive by doing this.

I’ve always known him as a Mike Riley apostle from back before SF was hired.Winking

What’s cowardly is making veiled insinuations about a person’s intestinal fortitude with zero knowledge of what actually happened.

once again the yellowest belly on the site.

An article with direct quotes from his brother who was on the Stanford football team was cited.

man ... it also appears Scotty may have committed an NCAA violation during the transfer process

“Scott reportedly spoke with Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne about transferring, then received a written release from his Stanford obligation.”

The entire process around this transfer appears to have been handled in a shambolic and unscrupulous manner

An article with direct quotes from his brother who was on the Stanford football team was cited.

man ... it also appears Scotty may have committed an NCAA violation during the transfer process

“Scott reportedly spoke with Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne about transferring, then received a written release from his Stanford obligation.”

The entire process around this transfer appears to have been handled in a shambolic and unscrupulous manner
zero issue posting ‘reports’ when it comes to slandering your least favorite coach.

meanwhile demanding multiple studies as proof on other issues.

you’re a pathetic, cowardly, passive aggressive hack. I feel bad for you and hope you find happiness at some point.

@jlb321, Of course die many (most?) die-hard fans are wearing rose-colored glasses... why do you feel compelled to remove the glasses whenever you can? I just don’t get the satisfaction you so obviously receive by doing this.

2e1684f7286fa4e9cb31de2dd6661868.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT