ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields Epilepsy

I wonder how he manages it. My buddy has it and says it is brought on by being fatigued and overly stressed. I've read you can manage it okay with a strict keto diet

I have epilepsy and it is also brought on by lack of sleep and being overly stressed. I am prescribed a maintenance med but only take it as needed. My Dr says I shouldnt do that. I work overnights and have a horrible sleep schedule. Havent had a seizure going on 10 years. Some seizures are brought on by flashing lights, video games or just anything really. There are so many different types of seizures such as if you stare off into space it can be a type of seizure. So yes depending on what type he has it can be managed and he should be able to play.

Last edited:
Someone said something racist towards him so he gets a free pass for the rest of his life.

I have epilepsy and it is also brought on by lack of sleep and being overly stressed. I am prescribed a maintenance med but only take it as needed. My Dr says I shouldnt do that. I work overnights and have a horrible sleep schedule. Havent had a seizure going on 10 years. Some seizures are brought on by flashing lights, video games or just anything really. There are so many different types of seizures such as if you stare off into space it can be a type of seizure. So yes depending on what type he has it can be managed and he should be able to play.
I'm kind of wondering it Fields actually has epilepsy or if he maybe had an aberrant seizure of some sort. I think it would be virtually impossible to play football on an effective anti-seizure medication. There are all kinds of potential causes of an idiopathic seizure from metabolic imbalances, trauma to methamphetamine. Sadly it sounds like seizures due to meth are very common these days. To be classified as an epileptic I would think he would have had to have had multiple seizures over a period of time. Hopefully he had an isolated event and it won't affect him going forward but man IF I were an NFL GM I would have a tough time staking my job on picking him.

If he could play college ball with it, why wouldn’t he be able to play in the pros?
Depends on the cause and whether or not he's still having periodic seizures. I haven't read when he had seizures, what type they were or if he had any in college or not. I had a friend who would seize if she ran a fever for any reason. It didn't seem to matter what caused the fever. I think it eventually stopped. Trying to figure out some neurological diseases is why neurologists make the kind of money they do and have to train for so many years after medical school to be able to practice neurology.

So can you play NFL football with epilepsy?
I have epilepsy since age 12. Played football 2 years in hs. Switched to cross country for fear of having seizure.. had a seizure in cc due to hyperventilating during a practice. No seizures during fb. Been seizure free 30 years. I think he would be fine as long as he took care of himself. Avoid getting drunk get sleep etc

Biggest thing is learning the reasons for your seizures and learning what you need to do if you can feel one coming on. I had aura's usually 24 hours in advance. Most of mine could have been prevented if I would have been smart. But I wasnt.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm kind of wondering it Fields actually has epilepsy or if he maybe had an aberrant seizure of some sort. I think it would be virtually impossible to play football on an effective anti-seizure medication. There are all kinds of potential causes of an idiopathic seizure from metabolic imbalances, trauma to methamphetamine. Sadly it sounds like seizures due to meth are very common these days. To be classified as an epileptic I would think he would have had to have had multiple seizures over a period of time. Hopefully he had an isolated event and it won't affect him going forward but man IF I were an NFL GM I would have a tough time staking my job on picking him.
My wife is classified as epileptic, only had 2 seizures, the first one is classified as nothing more than chance or freak thing, once you have 2 you are epileptic. Hers happened due to stress and sleep deprivation , I’d still take fields over her as a qb in this years draft though

I posted something about this (hinted at Epilepsy) last Spring, and naturally, got lit up.

I used to live in Columbus and a good friend of mine's kid is a walk-on, and saw this play out on the practice field. I didn't know for sure at the time that it was Epilepsy, but it sure sounded like it, and I wondered about his availability for this past season.

Obviously, he was more than fine, and I think he will be moving forward, too, what with medication and the fact that some (many?) seem to "outgrow" it.

I posted something about this (hinted at Epilepsy) last Spring, and naturally, got lit up.

I used to live in Columbus and a good friend of mine's kid is a walk-on, and saw this play out on the practice field. I didn't know for sure at the time that it was Epilepsy, but it sure sounded like it, and I wondered about his availability for this past season.

Obviously, he was more than fine, and I think he will be moving forward, too, what with medication and the fact that some (many?) seem to "outgrow" it.
Sounds like he has a family history of juvenile seizures. Weird deal that I don't think Dr.s understand well.

ADVERTISEMENT