ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched 1993 season Orange Bowl

hskrnt8590

Blackshirt
Jul 21, 2007
I had never watched the game before, so I just wanted to share some of the thoughts I had as I was watching.

1) Obviously, we got screwed on the punt return being called back. The announcers showed multiple replays and were even saying it was a bad call.
2) I actually thought that William Floyd scored at first, but it was later in the fourth quarter that they showed a goal line view and he clearly fumbled before crossing.
3) A third play we got screwed on was a 3rd and 17 right before half that Tommie converted, but they called the WR out of bounds when he wasn't on replay. That would have extended our drive in their territory and instead we punted, they drove the field, and got a field goal right before half.
4) Tom Osborne's play calling was wayyyy too cute in the first half. I got the sense that he thought we were way over-matched based on his initial play calling. Once we figured out we could play with FSU in the 2nd half his play calling changed to more runs up the gut and we started moving the ball much better.
5) Lawerence Phillips was head and shoulders the best RB. Why did we not play him until the 4th quarter once Calvin Jones got hurt early in the game?
6) Both defenses were absolutely filthy. I think the longest option play we had went for 3 yards in the first 3 quarters. We had two option plays int he fourth quarter go for over 10 yards, but that was after finally establishing the run up the middle. FSU was just way to fast to run anything to the outside on. Once Osborne started calling dives and isos we started controlling the game, but it was too late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.