ADVERTISEMENT

Just rewatched the game. A couple thoughts on the lines. - Game 3

GretnaShawn

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 28, 2010

Here is my now weekly (or until people stop commenting) thread about the line play. I am by no means an expert, but here is an analysis. Take it for what it is.

-I am going to try and stay away from the obvious things (penalties, drops, poor tackling, etc).It has been said already.
-During the first half the offensive line as a whole played pretty well. It was a good start for them. If it were not for formation penalties, drops and the INT, the offense would be staying pretty close to them.
-Kondolo had one bad block where it was an easy angle. He just stopped moving his feet and it blew up the play.
-The only O-linemen that had a bad half was Lewis. He had 4-5 bad plays.
-Reeves has got to keep his snaps down. Way too many high snaps. Throws the run games timing off. Especially on zone read plays.
-McMullen is the slowest person off the ball on every snap. I am not sure if that is due to responsibilities, lack of effort or lack of fitness/ability. He is not a pass rush threat at all. I hope it is due to his responsibilities, but it sure looks like a lack of effort.

Second half:
-The hits keep coming for Lewis. He was the illegal man down field.
-Near the end of the 3rd, TA gets sacked on a 3&8 for 21 yards. The OL blocked okay. TA had 4 seconds before true pressure got to him. He needs to get rid of it quicker.
-The OL did a great job of pass pro during the 4th quarter. Miami was pinning their ears back and they kept TA pretty clean.

Final notes:
-If the offense could have stayed of schedule (not had drops/penalties) they could have had a great day and kept up with Miami. Getting behind by 24 points makes it hard to stay with the run game. But we were running the ball really well.
-I like how much zone read/QB runs were incorporated this week.
-Sometimes TA could help the tackles more if he moved up into the pocket instead of sliding farther back.
-Kondolo and Lewis were the weak spots of the OL this week.
-I think that OL played well enough to win the game. They played a great game overall.
-The D-line didn't impress me, but a lot of the throws Kaaya made were quick passes. Hard to pressure when he was getting the ball out so quick.

Agree Tommy needs to work the pocket a bit more. That said, it's tough to do that when a lot of the pressure is coming from the middle. Would more run/pass options on bootlegs help TA out? Can he be accurate on the run?

Agree Tommy needs to work the pocket a bit more. That said, it's tough to do that when a lot of the pressure is coming from the middle. Would more run/pass options on bootlegs help TA out? Can he be accurate on the run?

I said this because there were a few plays where tackle gets beat on the outside, but they are still able to ride the DE down field. If TA steps up, there is no pressure, but he falls back and gives the DE a shot to get him.

Man, not sure if he get's there, but it sure did look like Tariq was going to be open back there. Coulda Shoulda Woulda.

CPbwja1UcAAZF4Y.png:large

This is what TA saw.

He just under threw it by 5-10 yards. That'll happen when you're throwing on the rollout. I agree, if he gets a little more on it, it's a likely TD as Allen was wide open.

Good thread (again). Thanks

GBR

Reactions: Doniphan89
Really appreciate this analysis, seeing alot of the same things. Concerned with McMullen's fitness level and both him and Kondola's effort.

Foreman said this morning that the pass rush isn't really McMullen's wheelhouse. Maybe make a play off a block if the dude scrambles or whatever, but not really expecting him to be a force in the pass rush.

Great pic. The throw makes sense, just needed some more zip, Too bad he couldnt have set the feet and zipped it.

If he aims for the "I" , I believe he completes it. That DB would've had to turn his hips hard and redirect, & I think your WR catches it in stride. Tough throw for many qbs.

Second half:
-The hits keep coming for Lewis. He was the illegal man down field.
I haven't rewatched, but I remember thinking at the time that it wasn't of a play for the lineman. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the timing got disrupted on a screen and the receiver/back floated past the line of scrimmage. If the pass is completed on our side of the los, there is no penalty. One of those plays where the number that gets called isn't really to blame. But maybe I'm confusing it with another play or even another game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT