ADVERTISEMENT

Just rewatched the game. A couple thoughts on the lines. - Game 2

GretnaShawn

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 28, 2010
I did this last week and it made a for a pretty good discussion. I will do it every week if there is interest.

-The offensive line looked good. Although, this was against South Alabama, so take it with a grain of salt.
-Nick Gates did a great job again. Made some great reach blocks to seal the edge. Not an east task.
-IMO, it looks like Kondolo needs to work on his footwork. He takes some false steps before launching out. He is often the last one to engage a defender. His pass blocking was better though. He sometimes he releases his block early. He did make some nice blocks though. Played much better than last week.
-Trey Foster made a couple nice blocks.
-Utter did better as well. But still had a few busted blocks.
-Langs loves to have the line block down (away gap blocks) and have a TE or FB come across and kick out the playside defender that is left. I think it was ran on 3 TD runs (different formations, same concept/scheme/play - Diagrammed/shown at the 4:27 mark).
-There were times where USA blitzed 6-7 guys and the line/RB picked it up pretty well and TA got rid of it quickly. It was nice to see.
-There was a play toward the end of the second quarter where USA rushed 4 and the line put them into one giant pile. TA had as much time as he wanted. It was pretty impressive.
-A lot less screens were called. They were very effective when called (most of the time).

-Collins played well. I think we can only ask so much of him when he is getting double teamed every down. He still disrupted and made plenty of plays.
-Rose-Ivey was all over the field. Glad he is back.
-VV is quick off the ball for a man his size. Often the first the engage.
-USA threw at Davie 10 times. Both throws on the first drive of the game were at him.
-McMullen is slow off the line. I am not sure if that is due to being run stopping oriented or if it is because he is too heavy.

The backups:
-On the first drive with the backups (from the 3), Sterup misses his block bad. Otherwise Wilbon probably has a TD.
-It was nice to see Givens-Price get some PT.
-Get excited for the future of Foster.
-Stoltenberg has a motor on him.

I rewatched as well.... I loved seeing Janovich get the chance to show his stuff. He did well most plays but did have a bad habit of diving low and cut blocking too early and too often, in my opinion.

Thanks for doing this GretnaShawn!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT