ADVERTISEMENT

Just now turned it to Sportscenter & George Kittle was bashing Nebraska

Nope, not a new account. Been a member since 2001 on the Hawkeye board. Just never wasted my time in this barren sh*thole. I've better things to do than argue with a state of idiots.
Yet, here you are. Sadface

This board is well-known for its "Why the Hell do them thar snowflakes git so easily oh-fended???" threads, and yet we're bothered by that little snippet from George Kittle? Good Lord.
I can only speak for myself, but I am more amused than bothered by an NFL Star that has that much animosity towards a college program. He’s a microcosm of message board Iowa fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelclaw
Hard to say, to some idiotic fanbases IE Iowa, CU, UCF yes. I think to other proud blue blood programs, they realize the up and down swings top tier programs have. What Nebraska was in the 90s or what Alabama is now is not easy. It can't be done for 40, 50, 60 years stretches. Even Alabama will have another down period. So I don't think we are to the point of completely irrelevant. I agree, it is getting close. We need to have at least a top 10 finish very soon.
For whatever reason many view these last 4 years of horrific football as being the last 20. Even looking back the last 10 years, we have been ranked at some point during the year 7 out of 10 years. With 3 of those being a top 10 team. We have won 9 or more games 6 of the 10. We have been bowling all but the last 3. That is not a "completely irrelevant program.

Outsider here, but you have a good perspective. Nebraska will never be "irrelevant" due to your history and accomplishments, and people who say so are just trolling.

As you mentioned, every program will have down periods, even Alabama. Although for the likes of Alabama or Ohio State, the down periods tend be much shorter and the floor for how bad they can be as programs is limited to an extent by the advantages they have over other programs. Nebraska, while having a great deal to sell (great history, facilities, fans, etc.) does not have what Ohio State and Alabama have, which is ready access to great talent within 300 miles or so of their campuses.

But if/when Nebraska has its program running well again, there is no reason it can't compete for a playoff spot in a given year or years.

Nope, not a new account. Been a member since 2001 on the Hawkeye board. Just never wasted my time in this barren sh*thole. I've better things to do than argue with a state of idiots.

Says the idiot that fails in reading comprehension. You’re making it worse boy.

He talked about 15 seconds about the game after getting promoted and your this upset about it? Get over it he said nothing.

Kittle was on the Iowa team when Nebs old AD said 'we had to evaluate where Iowa was as a program' before firing Bo.

Whether or not that was taken out of context is irrelevant. A player, any player, hears that, reads that about their team isn't going to be happy.

Reactions: 9and4
Kittle was on the Iowa team when Nebs old AD said 'we had to evaluate where Iowa was as a program' before firing Bo.

Whether or not that was taken out of context is irrelevant. A player, any player, hears that, reads that about their team isn't going to be happy.
Yeah, there are two events that we, as Nebraska alumni and fans, never really understood that I finally got after moving to Iowa City in 2017.

The first was the August 2011 Sports Illustrated cover proclaiming us to be the conference's new "bullies." The rest of the conference targeted us from Day 1, using that as evidence of our arrogance.

The second was Eichorst's statement after firing Pelini. It was a dick statement, but Eichorst was a dick, despite Pelini calling him just the opposite. This one explains why so many Iowa fans ask me if we wish Pelini were still our coach, as if beating Iowa — which Pelini did — was our raison d'etre.

My answer initially: "No, we don't want him representing our university ever again. Yes, we want to beat Iowa because as one of the conference's top six programs, it would be a major step up from where we are now."

My answer after having lived and worked with Hawkeyes since 2017: "No, because he was an a-hole. And yes, we want to beat Iowa because you're such a Pelini."

Yeah, there are two events that we, as Nebraska alumni and fans, never really understood that I finally got after moving to Iowa City in 2017.

The first was the August 2011 Sports Illustrated cover proclaiming us to be the conference's new "bullies." The rest of the conference targeted us from Day 1, using that as evidence of our arrogance.

The second was Eichorst's statement after firing Pelini. It was a dick statement, but Eichorst was a dick, despite Pelini calling him just the opposite. This one explains why so many Iowa fans ask me if we wish Pelini were still our coach, as if beating Iowa — which Pelini did — was our raison d'etre.

My answer initially: "No, we don't want him representing our university ever again. Yes, we want to beat Iowa because as one of the conference's top six programs, it would be a major step up from where we are now."

My answer after having lived and worked with Hawkeyes since 2017: "No, because he was an a-hole. And yes, we want to beat Iowa because you're such a Pelini."

FWIW

It is my understanding Bo Pelini was shown the door at Iowa. The Stoops relationship likely got him an opportunity, but his time in Iowa City was short.

I never saw the rationale for him as Huskers head coach.

Like Mike Stoops, didn't think he was ultimately the right guy for a HC job.

Bo Pelini's one year absence from coaching and where he landed next.

1991 Iowa (GA/AWR)
1993 Cardinal Mooney HS (OH) (QB)

Like Frank Solich, he found his niche in Ohio.

Outsider here, but you have a good perspective. Nebraska will never be "irrelevant" due to your history and accomplishments, and people who say so are just trolling.

As you mentioned, every program will have down periods, even Alabama. Although for the likes of Alabama or Ohio State, the down periods tend be much shorter and the floor for how bad they can be as programs is limited to an extent by the advantages they have over other programs. Nebraska, while having a great deal to sell (great history, facilities, fans, etc.) does not have what Ohio State and Alabama have, which is ready access to great talent within 300 miles or so of their campuses.

But if/when Nebraska has its program running well again, there is no reason it can't compete for a playoff spot in a given year or years.
Agree it is a bit tougher for Nebraska just do to the recruiting location. However Alabama had a similar stretch. Not as bad no but, 16 years between NC 1992 NC to 2009 NC. In that time frame they had a 9 yr stretch of no conf championship. 5 losing seasons, Up and down years. I think part of why their down stretch wasn't as long as ours is their recruiting advantage.Again Im not saying they are identical. I think some of Nebraska length between conf championships is changing conf. Every conf has a different "vibe" as well as different recruiting hotbeds. Nebraska lost a huge recruiting area when leaving the big12.

Did anybody else just catch the interview?

I don’t remember him playing against us. Anybody know if he was on the Iowa teams that we used to beat?
He beat the piss out of us along with his team nearly every year he was on the team.

unfortunately I think we've reached the point where our past history, while amazing, is now completely irrelevant in present day college football other than an answer to trivia questions
You think? Ask a kid today which team has more national championships between Nebraska and Minnesota and they will probably answer correctly. If you tell them Minnesota has a longer dry spell from the 1960’s versus the 1990’s, and they will shrug their shoulders and say - it’s all ancient history.

Win the game, otherwise I’m sure we’ll just retreat to the go-to move of reminding everyone of how good we were 2 decades ago. Husker fans will high five each other after trophy cases, and national titles from years gone by are posted while the rest of the college football world rolls their eyes and points to the scoreboard.

unfortunately I think we've reached the point where our past history, while amazing, is now completely irrelevant in present day college football other than an answer to trivia questions

i was on the same page with you till you started to shit on our very own Husker fans. How can you be ok with doing that? I don’t always agree with my fellow Husker fans but I won’t do the crap you do. I’m Husker fan too and a part of that same very group. Some of your football talk is on and I agree with most of it but the way you hate on the Huskers, Husker fans and our Head Coaches like Tom Osborne makes me really wonder if you’re a real Husker fan. Now I do agree the past needs dropped and let go of but knocking fans for enjoy those moments they lived, watched and breathed??? No sir, we all earned that right and glory if they decide to go back and relive it during the off season (when they tend to do it). And you do realize when other fans roll their eyes and all that, they do that because that’s the one thing they can’t take away from us! They kick hard while we are down now and have fun with it...but they can’t take away those National Title years...and they hate it.

The very least Iowa could’ve done in the past 4 seasons while beating Nebraska and to earn some respect is win a B1G championship and a major bowl game. They’ve won squat. The game against Nebraska is their fans super bowl and evidently Nebraska football owns head space in their players heads as well (see George).
RollingLaugh

5658f2080e7ff.image.jpg

Funny story happened at the golf club I belong to. One of the course maintenance workers is from Iowa. When he found out I was from Nebraska we both did some chirping each time we saw each other. Well the other day he had a new worker with him and he tried to take it to the next level. He said loudly Iowans are smarter the Nebraskans, that Nebraska likes when they go to Iowa as it will make them smarter just crossing border into Iowa. Well that kind of pissed me off so I just responded how is that Iowa knowledge thing doing for you, I am from Nebraska and obviously smart enough to make plenty of money to play golf everyday. You on the other hand being from Iowa mows the grass, rakes the sand and cleans up the course. He hasn't talked to me for a week now. This post was not a knock on golf course workers, it was a joke and I appreciate the work they do. Except when it is a brain surgeon like this guy was from Iowa.

Uhhh...that's not good-natured ribbing or smack talk. That's being a bit of dick.

George Skittle... follow the rainbow...
Irrelevant then ... irrelevant in about 15 minutes

i was on the same page with you till you started to shit on our very own Husker fans. How can you be ok with doing that? I don’t always agree with my fellow Husker fans but I won’t do the crap you do. I’m Husker fan too and a part of that same very group. Some of your football talk is on and I agree with most of it but the way you hate on the Huskers, Husker fans and our Head Coaches like Tom Osborne makes me really wonder if you’re a real Husker fan. Now I do agree the past needs dropped and let go of but knocking fans for enjoy those moments they lived, watched and breathed??? No sir, we all earned that right and glory if they decide to go back and relive it during the off season (when they tend to do it). And you do realize when other fans roll their eyes and all that, they do that because that’s the one thing they can’t take away from us! They kick hard while we are down now and have fun with it...but they can’t take away those National Title years...and they hate it.

there is a difference between being proud of the past and living in the past
any debate with Iowa, Purdue, Colorado fan, etc, etc regarding present day football is quickly diverted to "ya .. but we won national titles 20 years ago, etc".

we are one of the great historical programs of all time - a blue blood - but that really has no relevance in today's game or to the Iowa game this week - our last elite season was a long, long time ago. I will debate most any fan with the exception of a few regarding the historical significance of the program - unfortunately that really is of no consequence when debating the current pecking order in the Big West or Big since we joined the conference

I too, enjoy pulling out the old VCR tapes and watching games when we were an elite program as well - I just hope my VCR doesn't die as they are becoming extinct and very difficult to get serviced

Yeah, Kittle thinks very highly of Kirk, Players and coaches thought the Nebraska AD took a real cheap shot at Iowa and KF, They haven’t forgot.

George Skittle... follow the rainbow...
Irrelevant then ... irrelevant in about 15 minutes
Irrelevant? He set an NFL record last year for most receiving yards by a TE in a season in his second year in the NFL. The guy is a fantastic blocker and receiver. His head coach Shanahan said he is the 10-1 49ers best offensive player. Seems pretty irrelevant.

Win the game, otherwise I’m sure we’ll just retreat to the go-to move of reminding everyone of how good we were 2 decades ago. Husker fans will high five each other after trophy cases, and national titles from years gone by are posted while the rest of the college football world rolls their eyes and points to the scoreboard.

Meanwhile Iowa football trophy cases are empty

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT