ADVERTISEMENT

Just back from the game

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Had a great time with my daughter watching the Huskers put the hurt on Maryland. A few observations.

1. There were very few Maryland fans at the game. Not surprising given the weather, the weekend before thanksgiving and Maryland’s lousy season. Still... it was shocking how few fans were there. I would estimate there were no more than 5,000-8,000 Maryland fans there. There were probably about 20,000 Husker fans there and we made all the noise. Even when Maryland entered the field there were no cheers. Pathetic. The atmosphere outside the stadium before the game was deader than dead. I was at the Rutgers game a few years back and their atmosphere, though lame, was a veritable rock concert compared to Maryland.

2. Martinez played well, but Frost must coach him up with regard to his red zone passing. Ugly. We were lucky Spielman’s touchdown wasn’t a pic too.

3. The defense seemed really jazzed up. They were jumping around before the game and were really flying to the ball during the game. They put some solid hits on Maryland’s runners causing those fumbles.

4. Johnson looked really good running. Good vision for a freshman. And both backs held onto the ball on a cold and wet day.

5. Our defensive backs should have had two interceptions. They need some work on catching the ball.

6. Maryland has a great band. The stadium is small but nice.

7. Luke is a better QB than Martinez. If there is a true QB competition next year he could beat out Martinez.

Had a great time with my daughter watching the Huskers put the hurt on Maryland. A few observations.

1. There were very few Maryland fans at the game. Not surprising given the weather, the weekend before thanksgiving and Maryland’s lousy season. Still... it was shocking how few fans were there. I would estimate there were no more than 5,000-8,000 Maryland fans there. There were probably about 20,000 Husker fans there and we made all the noise. Even when Maryland entered the field there were no cheers. Pathetic. The atmosphere outside the stadium before the game was deader than dead. I was at the Rutgers game a few years back and their atmosphere, though lame, was a veritable rock concert compared to Maryland.

2. Martinez played well, but Frost must coach him up with regard to his red zone passing. Ugly. We were lucky Spielman’s touchdown wasn’t a pic too.

3. The defense seemed really jazzed up. They were jumping around before the game and were really flying to the ball during the game. They put some solid hits on Maryland’s runners causing those fumbles.

4. Johnson looked really good running. Good vision for a freshman. And both backs held onto the ball on a cold and wet day.

5. Our defensive backs should have had two interceptions. They need some work on catching the ball.

7. Luke is a better QB than Martinez. If there is a true QB competition next year he could beat out Martinez.

Nice to see a win on the road, and I agree about the qb competition, LMac is going to push hard next season and I think he can take the job.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Maryland hired a head coach that is from D/M/V but can he coach?

Scott Frost was 4-8 last year and clearly has taken a step forward at 5-6.

Heroes Game should be a good one, like last year.

Good road wins at Illinois and Maryland this year for Huskers.

However, sophomore seasons are often choppy, outside Norman, OK.

Maryland hired a head coach that is from D/M/V but can he coach?

Scott Frost was 4-8 last year and clearly has taken a step forward at 5-6.

Heroes Game should be a good one, like last year.

Good road wins at Illinois and Maryland this year for Huskers.

However, sophomore seasons are often choppy, outside Norman, OK.
I should have added to my list above that we better find a kicker who can kick it off beyond the opponent’s 25 yard line. The heroes game next week will NOT be a good one if Iowa is always starting out on its 40 yard line.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Seriously, the short kicks were designed. Jesus.
Yes. Maryland is stupid. It is now on tape. If it’s the plan next week They better get heights and get fair catches. Iowa isn’t as stupid as Locksley and Md. other poster has a legit field pos point. Iowa will likely get it fielded and pushed up field a bit

Reactions: SC_'sker

Thanks for the observation. Totally agree about#7. There's something about his spark and decisiveness. One speed... fast.

Did McCaffrey look a little thin in person? He looks that way to me on TV. Hopefully he'll be able to withstand the hits he's taking running the ball.

Is McCaffery available for the Iowa game without losing a redshirt?

This was my second visit to Maryland Stadium for a late-November game. The atmosphere the first time was much better than this time, and it's solely because of the poor record.

Maryland fan in front of me yesterday asked if we were having a good time in town, and noted that Maryland Stadium is usually a much better atmosphere. He actually apologized for how lame the home fan showing was. And then he and his friends left at halftime, never to return.

Oh, and don't get me started on the $10 beers. And not a Natty Bo anywhere to be found.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This was my second visit to Maryland Stadium for a late-November game. The atmosphere the first time was much better than this time, and it's solely because of the poor record.

Maryland fans in front of me yesterday asked if we were having a good time in town, and noted that Maryland Stadium is usually a much better atmosphere. He actually apologized for how lame the home fan showing was. And then he and his friends left at halftime, never to return.

Oh, and don't get me started on the $10 beers. And not a Natty Bo anywhere to be found.
I had that same conversation with the very nice Maryland fans I interacted with. And they too left at halftime. Can’t blame them. Cold and wet and your team getting destroyed by a shitty team. And the beers were not worth the price. Nachos were good. What section were you in? I was in section 22.

I had that same conversation with the very nice Maryland fans I interacted with. And they too left at halftime. Can’t blame them. Cold and wet and your team getting destroyed by a shitty team. And the beers were not worth the price. Nachos were good. What section were you in? I was in section 22.
We were ticketed in Section 304 with NYC Huskers (friend of a friend), but migrated down to 204, under the overhang, early.

Thanks for the observation. Totally agree about#7. There's something about his spark and decisiveness. One speed... fast.
I hope there is a legit QB competition in the off season. If Mccaffrey or another QB is the better qb I hope Frost isn't blinded and plays the better guy. I saw in an interview yesterday they ask Mccaffrey what he thought about playing WR. He said something like, "it is fun to try something different, but I came here to play QB" My fear is if he is indeed the better QB Frost will stick with Martinez no matter what and we will lose one hell of an athlete and QB in Mccaffrey. He looks like how Martinez looked last year.

Awesome post man! Glad you got to see the boys in person :)

Next Husker game, you ought to try and come to Lincoln!

I was in section 6 on the 40 right behind the Husker bench. Lots of empty seats everywhere. Maryland fans mostly left by halftime.

Johnson and McCaffrey look thin but nothing the weight room won't fix. I thought McCaffrey had a noticeable burst on him compared to Martinez live but his snaps were all garbage time snaps too. In any event he's a good one.

Unless you are a coach your opinion means absolutely nothing.
Nice job pouring salt on the win. Why so patronizing. The game was over when Luke came in. They gave up. I would love to take your bet on who starts next year, COACH.

Good point about Luke, but aidrian is still better then joe burrow

Nice job pouring salt on the win. Why so patronizing. The game was over when Luke came in. They gave up. I would love to take your bet on who starts next year, COACH.
Wow. What's with the surly comment? It's just his opinion.

Wow you idiot. Chill out

Reactions: bmb81664

I definitely concur on point 7. However to convince HCSF will be another story. Luke will just have to prove himself in practice. Wow, did he run that option to perfection or what?

Hi Mrs. Martinez, welcome to the HuskerBoard, we appreciate your $10 / month but it is indeed free to post here.

Reactions: coach-ed
My group of 5 tailgated with the DC Huskers. Our tickets were in Section 305 but we also moved down near the Husker's bench and out of the rain for the second half. Plenty of open seats. The few Terps who came to the game left at halftime. Glad the breaks were in our favor for a change. That amped up the team. The D crushed a few of their QBs. It was great to see the team enjoy the W. Great to see so many players finally get a chance to play and get valuable experience. Glad to have respite from the negative cloud that has been Nebraska football lately. This game was cathartic for players and fans. Winning is great! Let's do it again on Friday. GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT