ADVERTISEMENT

Just a tribute to those who were around

In an emotional post, I just wanna pay tribute to those posters who got to enjoy the dominating run in the 90s since tonight is National Championship night. I greatly envy you guys. As many chills as I get watching the highlight runs, I’m sure they probably don’t do justice as to what it felt like living through it. I envy you all for being able to soak up those moments and enjoy it all.

Cheers to you guys
it was awsome

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
It is hard to believe that for many many years we were as relevant as anyone... even when we lost we were in the conversation...
In 1983, I was in mental pain over the title game all year....
No kidding it was like going through the 12 steps, denial, second guessing, the blame game. Why not kick the extra point instead of going for 2. I was in a fog for a month or better. I still refuse to rewatch that game, Way to painful. I did get to watch the interview with the former players I think it was in 2013 and how every player Took that game for granted, All they had to do was show up and they’d be the champions. That explains a lot how that game played out. I have witnessed all 5 national championships the first two I watched on a black and white tv with a snowy screen. But dam I still cherish that watching those games with my dad!!!!

Reactions: saluno22
This x1000! We are never going to out recruit the top 5 to 10 teams in the country. We are not going to out "ohio st" "lsu" "Clemson" at their own game. Look at all the teams in college football running the same Shotgun/zone read/rpo systems.

There has never been a better time to return to power football because nobody sees it on defense these days. And don't give me this "we will only have Wisconsins ceiling" crap. We saw it work in the glory days and football is still 11 vs 11. Hell, we look more like the florida/spurrier 95 "fun n gun" offense today than the legends of the 90s.

If you think power football cant be done watch the Tennessee Titans. Pound it pound it, go over the top when the safeties come down to the box. Qb throws around 15 to 20 times a game. Good defense/ special teams run clock.

Fvck modern football, we need to get back to kicking some teeth in. And be the team you don't want to play
I'm on the believes that if we could somehow mix both philosophies together, do like a 60/40 old school Nebraska/spread offense, and get really good at it, we would see things that would make grown men cry tears of joy. I have to say, I was in the stadium that night against Ohio State, and when we rattled off the old school plays and did what we wanted with the Ohio State defense in that time span, that's as excited as I've been watching Nebraska Football since I was maybe 9 years old watching Nebraska Miami for the title. Really felt like I was in a time machine and it felt so right having Frost call those old school plays. I enjoyed every second of that drive.

Reactions: Slantsflood7
My memories of the 90s and on are curiously sandwiched between 3 losses that told me the trajectory of the program. The NC loss to FSU showed we were able to compete with the top tier programs. We were the better team that night and could have probably should have won. The loss to Colorado in 2001 and subsequently backdooring into the NC game against Miami told me we were finished as a top tier program.

All 5. Was nearly 11 on Jan 1, 1971. Had been following for a couple years as both parents were UNL Alum.

Still can picture Tagge holding the ball across the goal line. Beat LSU.

Met Tom Osborne in Church as an 8 year old, 1968, he was a lay affiliate. Then when I attended LSE, Solich was both coach, and my Drivers ed teacher.

We won, we won, and we won. Many memories, the product today is nothing like was seen for 40 years, but so glad I was a witness to it all.

I started following the Huskers in the 7th grade when my uncle gave me some S Oil of Indiana trading cards with the then big Husker stars on them.
Was 1942 probably. Followed them through thick, Devaney/Osborne and thin, all the times before and after D/O.
Best games I saw were Devaney's big coming out game against Michigan (didn't know that at the time) and the Orange bowl game where we destroyed
Alabama and the Italian Stalion.
Best games when I got back from Korea lived with parents going to NU and Dad and I went to two season's games
Ah' the Memories.

Was born in the mid-'70s, so missed the first two. My fandom began with the '83 "Scoring Explosion" team and TO's decision to go for two. Ten years later, I'm a freshman at UNL and we're playing FSU for another title that comes up just short.

My years as a student coincided with the 60-3 run. It was ridiculous, it was fun as hell and it spoiled everyone to death. But that's why I'll always remain a Husker optimist even in the face of discouraging returns.

I've seen this program reach the highest pinnacles of the sport and they've done it in multiple eras. When NU has its shit together throughout history, including the early years, we've been a highly competitive, national-caliber team.

It will happen again. But turns out that, after a long layoff from greatness, the getting your shit together part is easier said than done.

I'm on the believes that if we could somehow mix both philosophies together, do like a 60/40 old school Nebraska/spread offense, and get really good at it, we would see things that would make grown men cry tears of joy. I have to say, I was in the stadium that night against Ohio State, and when we rattled off the old school plays and did what we wanted with the Ohio State defense in that time span, that's as excited as I've been watching Nebraska Football since I was maybe 9 years old watching Nebraska Miami for the title. Really felt like I was in a time machine and it felt so right having Frost call those old school plays. I enjoyed every second of that drive.
Couldn’t agree more about having the best of both worlds if they can pull it off. The point people have to remember, however, is that TO’s offense wasn’t just “pound it, pound it, pound it”. It was “try to figure out who’s going to pound you and then brace yourself or catch me if you can”. That’s the shell game part—the players usually didn’t even know who would end up with the ball until the play actually developed. ‘Twas a beautiful thing!

My first memories of Husker football are in the late 70s(my first real specific memory is the 1978 win over Oklahoma). So I remember the 90s national championships very well. I also remember just how bad things seemed to be just before that. Of course, they weren't anywhere near as bad as they have been in recent years, but you wouldn't know it by the reaction of the fanbase.
The 1990 season was possibly the most disappointing of the Tom Osborne years and certainly the most disappointing in my memory, when we ended the season 1-3 which included a huge 4th quarter collapse at home against Colorado and blowout losses to Oklahoma and Georgia Tech. People were seriously starting to question whether TO had lost his touch and some were suggesting that it was time to move on from him. The 1991 season was only a little better-we won the Big 8 title, but got shut out against Miami in the Orange Bowl. The 1992 season gave little reason for optimism as we had 3 losses, including a stunning loss to a bad Iowa State team(TO's only loss to a team that finished with a losing record) and the bowl game loss which had become routine at that point. Based on what we had seen in the previous few years, even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have predicted that the next season would begin one of the most impressive 5 year runs ever in college football history.
So comparing it to today, although we are obviously much worse now than we were then, considering the standards we had at that time, fan optimism as a whole wasn't a whole lot better than it is now, and patience was probably even lower. Even though we are much further from winning a championship now than we were then, it certainly didn't seem that way. Yes, I am well aware of how far we have to go, even to get back to being a consistently good team, let alone winning a championship. But my memories of how dark things seemed to be just before our great run in the mid 90s always leave me with the optimism that we can be great again, even if we don't reach the heights we did of that period.

I’m from out of state but my stepfather was from Omaha so he got me into the Huskers at an early age. Became a fan in ‘93 while watching championship game. The “N” was such a powerful brand during that era, it honestly felt like our run would last forever. Even in moments we should have lost (Missouri) we found ways to win. Much like Bama today. College football then changed and conference realignment occurred and not to mention our poor leadership got us where we are today. I do believe that the road to the top is tougher today than it was in the past. I also believe that it’s even harder to stay there. I hope to see another Huskers championship in my lifetime.

This x1000! We are never going to out recruit the top 5 to 10 teams in the country. We are not going to out "ohio st" "lsu" "Clemson" at their own game. Look at all the teams in college football running the same Shotgun/zone read/rpo systems.

There has never been a better time to return to power football because nobody sees it on defense these days. And don't give me this "we will only have Wisconsins ceiling" crap. We saw it work in the glory days and football is still 11 vs 11. Hell, we look more like the florida/spurrier 95 "fun n gun" offense today than the legends of the 90s.

If you think power football cant be done watch the Tennessee Titans. Pound it pound it, go over the top when the safeties come down to the box. Qb throws around 15 to 20 times a game. Good defense/ special teams run clock.

Fvck modern football, we need to get back to kicking some teeth in. And be the team you don't want to play

Just a terrific post sir! I couldn't possibly agree more.

You betcha, we've all seen the great "results" of Callahan & Smiling Mike with their fluff-ball priority. Just losing, losing & more losing. Do we really need more of that?

I'd bet the ranch with the current defensive need to stop opponent's passing game above all else would even further allow a real-deal smashmouth offense to be damn near unstoppable. We would then actually start winning games all over the place.

The best news is that I believe HCSF knows this far, far better than me and is working hard to get the vicious, mean & ugly linemen we so desperately need.

Screw this worthless sh*t of copying everyone else. Let's run over teams Wisconsin, Michigan, etc like garbage truck over a Soda-Pop can.

GBR!!

ADVERTISEMENT