Just a tribute to those who were around

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by Jhollenbeck41, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In an emotional post, I just wanna pay tribute to those posters who got to enjoy the dominating run in the 90s since tonight is National Championship night. I greatly envy you guys. As many chills as I get watching the highlight runs, I’m sure they probably don’t do justice as to what it felt like living through it. I envy you all for being able to soak up those moments and enjoy it all.

Cheers to you guys

2. dand84

dand84 Senior
    Expand Collapse

You don't realize until it is over how used you get to being in the top 25 every year for 30+ years, most of those in the top 10. Only losing 1, 2 or 3 games per year. Playing in a top bowl game pretty much every year. Challenging for a conf win every year. Beating SEC teams like a red-headed step child.

Watching Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis get stuffed in the 4th Q on play after play. I believe The Rock was on that team as well. Watching Peyton Manning not know what hit him. Listening to all the shit before the Florida game about how badass they were being in the SEC and playing "real" teams. Watching TF run right over them for a TD. What a beat down.

Watching teams really fear playing us just for the beating they were going to take. The bowl game we played against TN with Solich was one of the worst beatings I ever saw a team take against us. They were carting those guys off left and right.

All that is gone now. Nothing left really except expectations.

3. Clemke32

Clemke32 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Our time will come again... I have the faith... I was fairly young but have good and bad memories from the early losses to Miami to finally getting over the hill... man it was nice... but I guess it just felt right, or normal for us to be there since we had been there for most of my early years, or at least from where I can remember.... it took my until we started to decline and for me to get older to really understand just how special and rare it is/ was to be where we were at... but I like where we are going and I do think if we Show patients with our staff now we will get there again.

SOCALHSKR and Mack In Motion like this.
  4. hedonistimpulse

hedonistimpulse Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Hard to believe Nebraska's taken basically 20 years off and will finish tonight with one more National Championship than one of the teams in the CFP CG and two more than the other.

5. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’ve said this before but my earliest memory is 2001 with Eric crouch, his heisman year. I remember after that national title game against miami, thinking to myself “no biggie, we’ll be back next year”.....never happened again. Not even a conference championship. Just hope I can experience success even remotely close to that in my adult life. I take comfort in knowing that Frost wants it as bad, if not worse than we all do. About all I can ask for right now I guess.

CatColumbia likes this.
  6. spartanhusker

spartanhusker Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

It is hard to believe that for many many years we were as relevant as anyone... even when we lost we were in the conversation...
    In 1983, I was in mental pain over the title game all year....

Baxter48, huskerfan66 and Lars72 like this.
  7. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

The most powerful memories for me were the 94 orange bowl against FSU. We were 17 point dawgs and we got a ton of lucky bounces and some really bad calls against us and then they beat us, but somehow we get a couple huge plays and have a makeable FG....so we go from sure we were going to get trounced to thinking we might win, to losing, to having a chance to win, to losing...everybody was in tears.

8. Clemke32

Expand Collapse

it’s so interesting reading what Your thoughts where on that 2001 game and knowing that’s one of your earliest memories... for me, I remember my thoughts after watching that.... i remember thinking that that was the start of very bad things, I remember thinking we have a long ways to go and that it was obvious that we had started to slide from the good days... we used to be the team that won like that, we weren’t the team on the losing side of the ball... I remember that game hurt me to the core... it was the first time I remember feeling that Nebraska was in trouble.... man I hope you get to see games like what I remember I think a lot of you fans that don’t remember the glory days, but have stuck with the huskers have really earned it and deserve the right to see our huskers win more so then those of us that have already seen it..

9. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i mean if I’m being honest, I’ve seen plenty of videos and shortened versions of games where Osborne coaches compared to Solich and there’s just a different presence between the two that is extremely evident if you know what to look for. Osborne’s teams walked and ran around like no one belonged on the field with them, and solich’s teams just didn’t. They just didn’t have that.

10. Bruce1981

Bruce1981 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Only time I ever cried over a game

11. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

twas fun.....but the early Osborne years losing to OU just about every year was always a kick in the nuts. He would get things set up for a legit shot at a NC then we would get beat by Mizzou or OU.:cool:

12. Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I did my part.
    Now you young'uns need to step up and watch and enjoy our team back to the top.

13. newAD

newAD Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

My sons who are both at UNL right now say this to me fairly often. It was awesome. Too bad we (from the athletic department, coaching staff, and even the fans) were so arrogant that everyone just assumed everything would be status quo after TO left.

TheNewNU and tpmcg like this.
  14. Antwill

Antwill Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

It was a lot of fun and a great way of bonding with my Dad. My biggest sadness with the past 20 years is not being able to share that passion with my boys. Sure, they're Husker fans, but it's just not the same.

TheNewNU, SkerInCo, NikkiSixx and 2 others like this.
  15. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doing my job to the best of my ability!

16. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

We have some posters here who have seen all 5. I was fortunate enough to witness the last three my freshman, sophomore and senior years of high school. My earliest memories of Husker football, however, were the bowl game struggles. The Bowl games from 87-92 were rough, seemed like we would never get over the hump.

17. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My dad and I share the same love for Nebraska Football and our bond over that is quite strong. He went to high school with Tom Rathman and some other lesser known guys over the years. Has happened so far with Frost, but there were a few times when Riley was here where he either left the room entirely or just changed the channel cause he was tired of watching out of pure disgust. He wants it back as bad as I do. He gets choked up when he tries to explain to me what it was like to watch the pure domination each Saturday. I get glued to each and every word about it.

Clemke32 and headcard like this.
  18. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

*hasnt happened so far with Frost* sorry

19. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

Go back and watch 1984-1992...he lost nearly every big game...we certainly feasted on some pretty weak programs...Iowa state, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado were pretty bad...we generally lost to any top 10 non-con team, lost to OU about half the time, and lost in like 8 straight bowl games. The best thing about the early 90s was it appeared to have come out of nowhere. Osborne was aging, his 1990-91 classes were barely top 25 and he was thinking of moving on to another job. The stars aligned and we had a quick dynasty but I am not sure it was really sustainable. We really gravitated back to the mean in 98-2001...and the post solich hre was a huge decision. T.O wasn't really planning on winning 3 out of 4, and didn't have a great young replacement... he was a young enough to coach 5 more years, groom a young-ambitious guy and give it up in 2001 or so. He didn't owe anybody anything but he obviously didn't leave to be with his family...as he entered politics soon after...I think his ambition outstripped his true talent...I wonder if he regrets not leaving NU with a more organized and sustainable situation considering the quick descent.

19 Solana Beach Husker, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    dand84 likes this.
  20. kaz36

kaz36 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I seriously cried when the Huskers beat Miami in the 95 Orange Bowl.

21. dand84

dand84 Senior
    Expand Collapse

This is why I've said in other threads it ruined the fanbase and was one of the worst things to happen to our program in terms of sustainability. It caused a set of unreal expectations that are going to be difficult to ever achieve again and has caused most of our downhill struggles since then both in terms of fan expectations and an administration that thought any level coach could come in here and do the same thing.

22. spinner4

spinner4 All-American
    Expand Collapse

The one thing I can say to the younger generation of Husker fans, it will happen. I’m not old enough to have lived during the 70’s championships and lived through the “frustrating 80s” and after losing to FSU i felt like many of you did. Like we weren’t going to ever win and that I was too young to enjoy the glory of a championship. But we finally got over the hump. Just remember, nothing beats that first title. I’m pretty sure a cried tear of joy when we beat Miami in 94 (granted I was like 14) but when we beat TN in 97, i was happy, but not like I was in 94.

23. dckchusker

dckchusker Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Same here. To me the CU and Miami games that year exposed NU as merely a pretty good team carried by a great QB. The overall talent level had clearly dropped significantly.

dinglefritz likes this.
  24. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I graduated HS in 72 from a small school near McCook so Jeff Kinney was the star. I remember all of the NC seasons, big games and yes the losses. I watched Tom win game after game only to get hammered by Sooner magic and other teams in bowl games. I was openly critical of Tom, had a letter published in "Voices from the Grandstands" where I stated Tom needed to change some things, get faster and learn to take what a D would give which included passing. He knew he had to change and did, us many vocal fans had nothing to do with it. Then Charlie changed from the 5-2 to a 4-3 and we started having slobber knockers on that side of the ball. Tom was and still is a brilliant coach who has that extra something, few, if any will ever have.

Over the years I was blessed to run into several former players and I asked what it was like playing for him and to a man they all said the same thing, basically what you saw was how he was. My big thrill was watching Brook Beringer play In HS and I was frankly a little surprised when the HS coach, a friend, told me the Huskers were talking to him. I picked Ron Brown up at the air port and hosted him and the pilot at a basketball game in Goodland. I knew Brook's mother Jan and Ron did everything by the book that night. We talked all night and he could tell me where every WR he coached was except for one. We wrote several letters back and forth and the guy had terrible handwriting. :) Tom came to another game to watch Brook and we talked and he signed his book for me. I have never seen anyone so tired from recruiting. Another kid from Goodland walked on and played tight end.

Guys, say what you want, post all the 4 star labels and all that stuff but then get back to reality. These current teams can't even sniff the jock straps of those TO coached teams. Will they ever get back to those Glory days? I hate to say never but we have some years of growing pains ahead, several. Right now we are not even competitive and in any serious conversations. Tom and his staff knew they needed to make systemic changes and they did. It was a glorious time to be Husker fan. I am glad I grew up when I did. A HS buddy who passed away a few years ago and I would regularly go to freshman games and one we sat in the stands with Tom and just talked. Them we would go to the varsity game on Saturday. It was awesome. All the time I lived all but 5 years in Kansas so I took my share of crap but Tom did his part by stomping both Kansas teams. Ah, the good ole days.

25. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Obviously probably no one knows but think he still goes with solich knowing the cause and effect now?

26. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I will guarantee that I will cry the next time the Huskers do something of significance, meaning hoping like hell Frost raises that Big 10 Title trophy sometime in the coming years

scarletred and kaz36 like this.
  27. Clemke32

Expand Collapse

man I feel that very same sentiment... I was sitting with one of my boys the other day talking about football, then he asked me why my favorite team was the huskers... now it’s a valid question since I’m in the army and he has never lived in Nebraska, but I’ll tell you it cut me deep to have him ask me that... I sat there and explained to him how dominate we were and how my dad and I bonded over watching the ass kickings... I still call my dad up and talk Husker football as often as I can with him... it was the moment I decided that I need to take some time off fly home and take my boys to a game this year... they need to see Husker football and experience game day... and I just hope it’s every bit of what I remember it to be

bshirt73 likes this.
  28. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I’d be one of them that has been fortunate enough to have seen all 5 National title teams.

The first one is one you never forget either..

29. Solana Beach Husker

Expand Collapse

He knew all the "issues" that Solich had...he had to know that he couldn't manage the program from a discipline standpoint, he had to know Frankie couldn't recruit and didn't enjoy that part of the job...he just didn't have a better candidate in his coaching circles. He would have needed to start looking for a young ambitious guy to come in and be a coordinator, then become associate head coach, then take over when T.O called it quits. Bobby Bowden did it...and FSU won a title soon after. The one downside of having 450 years of coaching experience on your staff is that there isn't a great replacement for a retiring coach.

30. Rocky Mtn Husker

Expand Collapse

If Scott starts to pattern his offense more like TO’s and less like Chip Kelly’s, then I would agree that we will likely be back some day. Of course, we need to a great defense too, but it was TO’s smash mouth shell game offense that was the key to years of consistency and success.

bshirt73, Slantsflood7 and Catch50 like this.
  31. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

For the record, I think he will. And I think we start to see more shades of that in 2020. More emphasis on the power run game to start with.

bshirt73 likes this.
  32. bigRed-no-BiilyC

Expand Collapse

I was 26 when Nebraska won their first national title. Nine years earlier you would have been locked up if you were crazy enough to predict such a thing. A state known for nothing was suddenly at the very height of college football. You can't even imagine the pride of the state in their team and especially in the Nebraska kids on the roster.

Those first 2 championships couldn't and wouldn't have happened without Tom Osborne. I know the big majority of you weren't there, but you are all able to read your Husker history. Do it. Don't just repeat your wrong and half-@ss opinions over and over. Learn as much as you can. Most of you know the roll TO played on those teams. I read people post absolute trash about Tom Osborne on here. I thank the good Lord he at least gave me the minimum amount of brains required to see his coaching genius. Gave me enough common sense that I could see through the liberal jack@ss columnists and sports writers who tried so hard to blacken the name of that good man.

Support our current team. Use your intelligence to predict how many wins we get next year - then subtract 2. Win - win. Less blubbering and complaining on here after next season is history. And maybe a very pleasant surprise.

33. SkerInCo

SkerInCo Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

I'm 38 and was on the 40 yard line in Tempe. The whole week was an experience I'll never forget. Sadly, with the current landscape of CFB, we will never be in that position again. I'm just hopeful we can get to the point where we're constantly competing for a conference title.

bigRed-no-BiilyC likes this.
  34. redfanusa

redfanusa First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

I was a student during the championship years. There is no feeling like running up and down "O" Street, hugging and high-fiving thousands of fans, celebrating all night, and then re-watching the game on your VHS tape in the morning. For the 1994 season, and the roller coaster of a win over Miami in the Orange Bowl, exercising all of those demons, I remember drunk dialing pretty much everybody I knew well into the night, screaming myself hoarse that they did it. Gawd that was awesome.

Clemke32 likes this.
  35. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Same here but the memory of that first one is getting a little foggy now.

scarletred likes this.
  36. Jhollenbeck41

Jhollenbeck41 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I will say that based on where the program is at right now, there will be nothing more satisfying than saying "I told you so" to all my friends who doubt the Big Red right now. I will say that, shot gun a Budweiser, then smash it on the ground and keep running around celebrating.

37. goldencohusker

Expand Collapse

I was too young to remember the titles from the early 70s, but old enough to experience all the gut-punch near misses that followed over the next 20 years before the '95 title. Probably the worst loss for me was the nail biter '94 Orange Bowl loss to Florida State for the NC. Virtually impossible to envision at that time, but fast forward 25 years, and I would gladly sit through that experience today, and being that relevant again on the national scene.

37 goldencohusker, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  38. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I ran around the house outside naked carrying a cornplant from our front porch.

A day or two later 92.9 the eagle was asking people to call in and tell them what they did to celebrate the NC....so I did

39. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I watched all 5 on TV.

Yes they're real and they're spectacular

saluno22 and Spectrumalaska like this.
  40. Slantsflood7

Slantsflood7 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

This x1000! We are never going to out recruit the top 5 to 10 teams in the country. We are not going to out "ohio st" "lsu" "Clemson" at their own game. Look at all the teams in college football running the same Shotgun/zone read/rpo systems.

There has never been a better time to return to power football because nobody sees it on defense these days. And don't give me this "we will only have Wisconsins ceiling" crap. We saw it work in the glory days and football is still 11 vs 11. Hell, we look more like the florida/spurrier 95 "fun n gun" offense today than the legends of the 90s.

If you think power football cant be done watch the Tennessee Titans. Pound it pound it, go over the top when the safeties come down to the box. Qb throws around 15 to 20 times a game. Good defense/ special teams run clock.

Fvck modern football, we need to get back to kicking some teeth in. And be the team you don't want to play

bshirt73 likes this.