ADVERTISEMENT

Jurgens

How many wins in the regular season do you expect?

• 10+

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 8-9

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • 5-

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Tough to grade without the coach's video. I guess I thought it was tough to see all that much when the whole O line appeared to be getting pushed backwards. Hopefully IF it's fairly obvious when they look at the film they adjust the plan. It took half the year and a season ending injury last year to move Farmer to center, so I'm not optimistic.

I was basing my statement mostly on the snaps to Martinez. With Jurgens,Martinez had no idea where the ball was going. Farniok seemed to be on the money with his.

I was basing my statement mostly on the snaps to Martinez. With Jurgens,Martinez had no idea where the ball was going. Farniok seemed to be on the money with his.
Frost seemed to make comments about the difference in practice based on the way Jurgens moved people and said post game that they didn't see the snap problems in practice. Nebraska kid in first home game might have led to a little extra juice on his snaps. Hopefully he can fix things. In any case, I'm afraid with the new starters on the O line, that we're going to struggle on offense. Most people don't understand how good Farmer was at center.

Frost seemed to make comments about the difference in practice based on the way Jurgens moved people and said post game that they didn't see the snap problems in practice. Nebraska kid in first home game might have led to a little extra juice on his snaps. Hopefully he can fix things. In any case, I'm afraid with the new starters on the O line, that we're going to struggle on offense. Most people don't understand how good Farmer was at center.

My concern is if you can’t move South Alabama off the line of scrimmage how are you going to move Colorado, Ohio State or Wisconsin ? Lots of work to do.

My concern is if you can’t move South Alabama off the line of scrimmage how are you going to move Colorado, Ohio State or Wisconsin ? Lots of work to do.
USA did have some big athletic guys on their D line and their backers crashed hard. They appeared to have what we were going to do offensively well scouted and coached. I don't think having a late arriving JUCO RB helped us. There's no way he could know the whole playbook.

USA did have some big athletic guys on their D line and their backers crashed hard. They appeared to have what we were going to do offensively well scouted and coached. I don't think having a late arriving JUCO RB helped us. There's no way he could know the whole playbook.
The snaps had the effect of producing a lag in the zone read game. Mills was shaking off JUCO rust. MoWash didn’t play the first half and Mazour was getting reps. Third Q was weird, pretty much a write off for the O. And the fourth was really an exercise in getting to 0:00.
USA had a worthy front 7, they were prepared and NU did not play well.

This and I question Frost's decision heading into Colorado, which will be a game with hostile fans and tough environment.

Maybe Frost is the one who needs to wake up, he's a big boy, he can take it.
That’s OK, but Frost probably has better reasoning for his decisions. Will F will continue to play as well.

For clartity, multiple coaches and players have commented on still-injured Jurgens making their offense look better than w/ W. Farniok (i.e. not a conspiracy).
PFF graded W. Farniok quite low, so if you take out the bad snaps of Jurgens, the difference may not be much.
Jurgens has bigger upside, and I would argue plenty of potential to develop quickly. All that is relative though because we’re still playing two redshirt freshmen who are somewhat undersized. Not ideal at all.
Center, as most of us expected, could be a weak spot all year.
I think the snaps will improve, but beyond Center the entire OL left a lot to be desired. It could make or break the season.

Just disappointing that no matter who we go with this season we'll still have the worst center play in the conference. Hopefully they both improve alot.

Just disappointing that no matter who we go with this season we'll still have the worst center play in the conference. Hopefully they both improve alot.
I doubt we'll have the worst. We'll get better and there's plenty of room for improvement. Athletically we're more than fine there. It's experience and consistency and those can be fixed IMO.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Frost said pre game that Jurgens would be on a pitch count, but apparently nobody was listening.

Dude, c'mon. Both are freshman, both had never played center before. Cam also missed a huge chunk of practice with injuries. Did you honestly think their wouldn't be some growing pains along the way?? Especially in game one?? Practice and reps will fix the problem.. Have a little faith in the staff.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
tenor.gif

Reactions: PaPHusker162
Dude, c'mon. Both are freshman, both had never played center before. Cam also missed a huge chunk of practice with injuries. Did you honestly think their wouldn't be some growing pains along the way?? Especially in game one?? Practice and reps will fix the problem.. Have a little faith in the staff.

I expected there to be growing pains but didn't expect Jurgens to consistently throw off the rhythm of the offense with bad snaps. Farniok seemed to do a little better, not sure how either graded out with their blocking assignments.

I expected there to be growing pains but didn't expect Jurgens to consistently throw off the rhythm of the offense with bad snaps. Farniok seemed to do a little better, not sure how either graded out with their blocking assignments.
Jurgens wasn't any better in blocking than he was at snapping. I actually thought Farniok was better at both.

Jurgens wasn't any better in blocking than he was at snapping. I actually thought Farniok was better at both.
Don't you think athletically Jurgens has more upside? That has to be what they're banking on. Frankly I kind of expected we would have problems with either of them at least early in the year. I just can't imagine myself becoming a starting Power 5 center with having never played the interior line before in my entire life. Your center really has to have his sh## together.

He might be the next best thing, (and I hope he is) but there is little doubt that when the snaps are so off it throws off the timing of the entire offense. Now I am not saying the offensive troubles are all on Jurgens but it is a contributing factor.

Just seems like the coaches are FORCING the issue. Farniok may not be as physical as Jurgens but he at least gets the ball to AM2 faster & more accurately than Jurgens.

Another factor is which one makes the best line calls, for that I have no idea as those things only players and coaches know.

I believe Jurgens will be a great center before its all said and done but I think the coaches might be forcing the issue a little, but with their glowing words of him they MIGHT have painted themselves into a corner IMO.

Take the snaps under center. Problem solved.

Take the snaps under center. Problem solved.
Don't think that's ever been a thing with Frost's offense. Heck we were taking lots of snaps out of the shotgun at the end of Tom's tenure too. You have to be able to snap the ball in the shotgun. If you can't do it reliably today, you should probably just forfeit all of your games.

Don't you think athletically Jurgens has more upside? That has to be what they're banking on. Frankly I kind of expected we would have problems with either of them at least early in the year. I just can't imagine myself becoming a starting Power 5 center with having never played the interior line before in my entire life. Your center really has to have his sh## together.
Probably, but I don't think athleticism was ever W Farniok's strong suit, so I don't know if that's saying much. Our whole offensive line looked slow and plodding, including Jurgens. The most impressive thing I saw out of Jurgens was he pushed his guy about 3 yards back on one play using basically just his arms, didn't even look like he was using his full body. But it was also at the very end of a play and had no effect on the play at all. It would have been a lot more impressive if he did that when it mattered.

Probably, but I don't think athleticism was ever W Farniok's strong suit, so I don't know if that's saying much. Our whole offensive line looked slow and plodding, including Jurgens. The most impressive thing I saw out of Jurgens was he pushed his guy about 3 yards back on one play using basically just his arms, didn't even look like he was using his full body. But it was also at the very end of a play and had no effect on the play at all. It would have been a lot more impressive if he did that when it mattered.
I wouldn't want to be Jurgens' shoes. He's got a tough assignment coming in without ever having played the position. It sounds as though there might have been some issues with the line calls at times. I hope they get things ironed out before Saturday.

"So what was the actual impact of those wayward snaps? In his Monday morning column, Derek Peterson evaluated all 49 of Jurgen's shotgun snaps from the first half––Jurgens didn't play in the second, as the coaches had planned before the game––and found that 54.1% of those snaps were on target, 14.6% were slightly off target and 29.2% were high enough that Martinez had to jump to catch it."

Link

I will agree with this, but I’d have thought going against our DL everyday would’ve prepped them for S. Alabama. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case which is troubling on both fronts.
Frost said postgame that SA came out and defensively did things they've never shown on video. I don't know how you game prep for a team first game if they come up with a novel attack in game 1 especially when you're starting that many young guys. Game 2, people would have seen it and can prepare for it. It's the one advantage an underdog can take. Beck did it offensively I think to UCLA in a bowl game and made them look terrible on defense.

I’m confused as to why there is so much praise for W. Farniok. Offensively in the first half bad snaps and all, we had 210 yds and 14 pts. Offensively in the second half 66 yds and 0 pts. So I’m not getting why all the love for Will, unless everyone is blaming the second half offensive woes on Cam, even though he didn’t play a down. We got all our points in the second half from Special Teams and Defense.

I know that Cam had his struggles, but the Offense wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire with Will either.

Yep snapping in 20 yards down the field worked wonders
I've seen it happen in NFL games. The difference between a quick on target snap to the QB in the shotgun and one over his head is literally maybe an inch or two in release point by the center. It happens. No doubt we've got to be WAY more consistent with our snaps or else find somebody else who can do it.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I've seen it happen in NFL games. The difference between a quick on target snap to the QB in the shotgun and one over his head is literally maybe an inch or two in release point by the center. It happens. No doubt we've got to be WAY more consistent with our snaps or else find somebody else who can do it.
30% were way off and AM literally jumped up on every snap just in case, it's funny none of WF snaps were up high/over his head so it can't be that hard

I’m confused as to why there is so much praise for W. Farniok. Offensively in the first half bad snaps and all, we had 210 yds and 14 pts. Offensively in the second half 66 yds and 0 pts. So I’m not getting why all the love for Will, unless everyone is blaming the second half offensive woes on Cam, even though he didn’t play a down. We got all our points in the second half from Special Teams and Defense.

I know that Cam had his struggles, but the Offense wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire with Will either.
We only snapped the ball 16 times on offense in the 2nd half. Turnovers and defensive scoring didn't give the O much of a chance.

Reactions: nelsonj22
30% were way off and AM literally jumped up on every snap just in case, it's funny none of WF snaps were up high/over his head so it can't be that hard
I watched Will in high school. He did I believe play some center in high school AND has had WAY more practice time at center than Farniok. Farniok missed most of summer workouts and fall camp due to his injury. He'll get better or he'll be replaced.

Spot on! The sad thing to me is that the OL Sat. did not move anybody at all, which was a characteristic of Riley's teams. Yet all we've heard last spring and this fall is how much bigger, stronger we are on the Oline. Something is wrong - coaching? physicality? Talent? What am I missing? The only thing I see for sure is that the better teams seem to come out "fired up", and we seem so laid back. Maybe it's the lack of "want to"? Even AM seemed very calm and laid back, I don't know. I never played much football, but played a lot of softball. The teams that were great could always reach down, dig deep, and still pull off a win - even on days when they weren't hitting on all cylinders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT