ADVERTISEMENT

Jurgens thinking about entering the NFL draft

There aren't many 1st round NFL drafted centers. I think the OU center was the first off the board to KC late in the 2nd (and he's been a stud for the Chiefs). If Cam gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, I'd recommend that he goes for it. Sucks for the Huskers, but it's best for him. If he's healthy and the NFL is prepared to pay him, I think he should go ahead. I don't think his stock will go up much by staying another year, and there's always a risk if he stays.
He might not even be slated to play center in the NFL. Man he would be a wicked pulling guard at the next level with his quickness. Somebody is going to want him and I would be surprised if the Vikings would let him slip below the 3rd round.

One way or the Other Frost will find a way to lose again. He'll gravitates towards 4-9 as if being pulled by a magnetic force. When we lose to Northwestern next season due to same shit issues, you h_mos will find a way to keep the losing coach again.

This was Frost's Peak Talent year and he failed miserably and went 3-9.
I suppose the next "progression" will be to have yant throw the ball

I would guess he'll test very well at the combine if he goes that route. Since this program is just one punch to the balls after another, I'm already assuming he's gone.

i believe there are 2 financial issues when a player is looking to enter the NFL

obviously you want to be drafted as high as possible
but you also want to get to/or approach free agency (4 years in) as soon as possible

a prospect has to balance coming back to potentially upgrade their draft position which means delaying free agency for a year as well

of course the potential for injury also is a factor

Last edited:
i believe there are 2 financial issues when a player is looking to enter the NFL

obviously you want to be drafted as high as possible
but you also want to get to/or approach free agency (4 years in) as soon as possible

a prospect has to balance of coming back to potentially upgrade their draft position which means delaying free agency for a year as well

of course the potential for injury also is a factor
Agree about injury.

As far as salary goes, the top picks in even round 2 are going to get $1.5 mil per year, while the bottom of round 3 get roughly half of that. Then factor in the guaranteed money. There is a bigger difference than you would think, even between round 2 and round 3, let alone round 4. So even if you only sign a 4 year deal as a 4th rounder, to get to free agency quicker, you will still be ahead by waiting a year and becoming a 2nd round guy. If you work out, the second contract is going to be what it is, 7th round pick or 1st round pick. But getting the guaranteed money and the larger signing bonus more than makes up for that year.

If Frost told Amart not to come back I wonder if Cam doesn’t want to play for a new qb. Seems like the players respect AMart and the center/qb relationship has to be close.
not in our offense, they were usually about 8 feet apart. I would say smothers and jurgens were much closer.

Not sure what to think about this. On one hand he’s easily the most athletic center we’ve had in I don’t know 15-20 years? On the other he was inconsistent with high snaps and dumb penalties.
NOOOOO!!!!!!

Smother's fumble was purely about Belt trying to take the ball and Smothers not making the right read. Then as he pulled the ball he hit it on Belt's thigh knocking it loose. The snap had nothing to do with it. You need to watch some NFL shotgun snaps. Cam has been consistently very good this year.
Consistently good and NFL worthy are way different. He may have been better than last year but with Smothers he had several that were high.

He might not even be slated to play center in the NFL. Man he would be a wicked pulling guard at the next level with his quickness. Somebody is going to want him and I would be surprised if the Vikings would let him slip below the 3rd round.
I've been saying that for 4 months dude.

Selfishly I'd love to see him stay another year . Would certainly be good for us and would likely improve his draft stock. That said, you're only one bad injury away from being an ex player, so hard to fault him if he moves on.

Regardless, he is arguably the 4th best center in the Big Ten and only 8 or 9 centers will be taken. The 3rd team all big ten center last year was a 7th rd pick and a practice squad player. I would think another year would be more lucrative for him long term.
Jurgens projects quite favorably. Chris Lindstrom, Garrett Bradbury, the list goes on. The NFL loves athletic linemen. I said Jurgens was a future NFL interior lineman two years ago and got blasted for it by the Husker fanatics that couldn't see past next week when it comes to future potential.

Jurgens projects quite favorably. Chris Lindstrom, Garrett Bradbury, the list goes on. The NFL loves athletic linemen. I said Jurgens was a future NFL interior lineman two years ago and got blasted for it by the Husker fanatics that couldn't see past next week when it comes to future potential.
This "athletic ability" is a catch phrase. What is it exactly? It's kind of one of those things you will know it when you see it.

Name one position aside from maybe a kicker where the NFL doesn't want "athletic" ___________, in this case linemen?

Again, he is probably the 4th best center and not even the 6th best Guard in the Big Ten. I believe with another year, he improves his draft stock by 2 rounds minimum. There were 21 interior linemen (Centers or Guards) drafted in 2021, a normal year has 17 -19 taken, not many in the first 2 rounds, very few are taken in the first round that aren't 1st team all league and Rimington or Outland finalists. Both Bradbury and Lindstrom were 4 year college players and Bradbury won the Rimington Award and Lindstrom was 1st team All ACC.

I have already agreed that the risk of injury is tough, but I just don't believe you see teams take a flyer on an interior OL like they do a QB, WR, DE, DB, LB or even OT. Very few teams are going to use a 1st or 2nd on an Interior OL unless that dude is proven special. Jurgens hasn't yet proven to be special.

The money isn't going to be a whole lot different for him next year than it is this year, unless he becomes an All American or First Team All Big Ten. So if he doesn't think he can make that leap, then maybe it is best for him to leave now. I think he has that potential.

This "athletic ability" is a catch phrase. What is it exactly? It's kind of one of those things you will know it when you see it.

Name one position aside from maybe a kicker where the NFL doesn't want "athletic" ___________, in this case linemen?
On one of our disastrous turnovers this past season Jurgens ran down a DB from behind to make the tackle at about the 10 yard line. Nobody even noticed. The kid is a TE playing center. Excellent burst and explosiveness. IF he stays healthy he'll have a long career in the NFL.

On one of our disastrous turnovers this past season Jurgens ran down a DB from behind to make the tackle at about the 10 yard line. Nobody even noticed. The kid is a TE playing center. Excellent burst and explosiveness. IF he stays healthy he'll have a long career in the NFL.
Once again, Cam did not make the tackle. I noticed that the first time you were wrong.

Who was the backup Center this year? Who plays there next season if Cam leaves?

Punter. But anyway, as a converted TE Jurgens will have the interest of a lot of teams. There are a lot of college interior linemen who could never have played RB, WR and TE in high school like Cam did.

Again, he is probably the 4th best center and not even the 6th best Guard in the Big Ten. I believe with another year, he improves his draft stock by 2 rounds minimum.

I have already agreed that the risk of injury is tough, but I just don't believe you see teams take a flyer on an interior OL like they do a QB, WR, DE, DB, LB or even OT. Very few teams are going to use a 1st or 2nd on an Interior OL unless that dude is proven special. Jurgens hasn't yet proven to be special.

The money isn't going to be a whole lot different for him next year than it is this year, unless he becomes an All American or First Team All Big Ten. So if he doesn't think he can make that leap, then maybe it is best for him to leave now. I think he has that potential.
I agree with most of what you said. And I do think Jurgens would be better off staying another year. But being an NFL draft nerd, I've seen many times players with college accolades get passed over. Kevin Dotson was a 1st team All-American and he's starting for the Steelers right now, but he didn't even get an invite to the NFL combine. Eventually, the Steelers were said to have "reached" for him in the 4th round. Weird things happen. But given Jurgens' profile, his history as a high school RB, TE and good basketball player, he will move past a lot of guys on teams' draft boards if he tests well. And I think it's a certainty that he would test well. PFF grades are nice and all, but the NFL cares more about how you project to their level.

There aren't many 1st round NFL drafted centers. I think the OU center was the first off the board to KC late in the 2nd (and he's been a stud for the Chiefs). If Cam gets a 3rd or 4th round grade, I'd recommend that he goes for it. Sucks for the Huskers, but it's best for him. If he's healthy and the NFL is prepared to pay him, I think he should go ahead. I don't think his stock will go up much by staying another year, and there's always a risk if he stays.
He can get professionally evaluated and pull his name out if the scouts think he won't go very high. If he tests well, he could be a day two pick. If that's true, he doesn't have a lot to gain by coming back

I've been waiting for this thread to bring a few things to light that hasn't been mentioned once on either of these boards. While I love Jurgens as he is an absolute beast in the mold of our old OLmen and has owned his assignments against pretty much everyone he isn't ready as his downside is gonna be pretty evident when the scouts evaluate him as believe it or not, he is one of the main pieces that have caused the OL failures the last couple of years. Athletically he has all the tools for success in the NFL, upstairs not so much and will explain why.

As every offense starts with the OL the OL starts with the Center as he's the QB of said line, and is responsible for getting his line mates lined up propperly as well as calling the line plays at the LOS and making adjustments when needed and he has absolutely been shit on that. All you have to do is go look the past could of years the number of times the OL was out of position or the wrong line play was called. Jurgens doesn't get his plays called in from the sideline as he has to know all of them and the right play to call. As I said imo, he isn't ready as that's the major glaring issue. This whole thing here falls on Austin as with him it was more about the physicality than what was upstairs. It's just a good thing these linemen now don't have to know half as much as Uncle Milty's lines or we may not have won a game this year under his system.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this thread to bring a few things to light that hasn't been mentioned once on either of these boards. While I love Jurgens as he is an absolute beast in the mold of our old OLmen and has owned his assignments against pretty much everyone he isn't ready as his downside is gonna be pretty evident when the scouts evaluate him as believe it or not, he is one of the main pieces that have caused the OL failures the last couple of years. Athletically he has all the tools for success in the NFL, upstairs not so much and will explain why.

As every offense starts with the OL the OL starts with the Center as he's the QB of said line, and is responsible for getting his line mates lined up propperly as well as calling the line plays at the LOS and making adjustments when needed and he has absolutely been shit on that. All you have to do is go look the past could of years the number of times the OL was out of position or the wrong line play was called. Jurgens doesn't get his plays called in from the sideline as he has to know all of them and the right play to call. As I said imo, he isn't ready as that's the major glaring issue. This whole thing here falls on Austin as with him it was more about the physicality than what was upstairs. It's just a good thing these linemen now don't have to know half as much as Uncle Milty's lines or we may not have won a game this year under his system.
Unless you know who is supposed to block who kn every play it’s impossible to say who screws up on specific plays. Only after watching film will the coaches and lineman be held accountable. It’s not Jurgens job to tell Benhart and Corcoran to stop false starting and holding!

Unless you know who is supposed to block who kn every play it’s impossible to say who screws up on specific plays. Only after watching film will the coaches and lineman be held accountable. It’s not Jurgens job to tell Benhart and Corcoran to stop false starting and holding!
Yes it is, as Jurgens is the leader of that line and it his job to get on their asses when they fk up and make sure it's taken care of just like all of our great Centers in the past and that doesn't change. Those great lines of the past knew their blocking assingments and it Jurgens responsibility to make sure they know what and who their blocking assinments are. That is all on the QB of the line.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT