ADVERTISEMENT

Juco place kicker...

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Just read over at the Husker Max site that a Juco place kicker will be making a visit to NU. I wonder if this means Riley is not confident in Brown/Bondi? Or, since there is no scholarship offer, is he just being encouraged to walk on for the sake of competition? Or maybe a little of both?

Brown is pretty accurate inside of 40 yards but below average beyond that range. He is not bad kicker by any stretch but we have gotten spoiled around here with better than average kicking for quite a while. Personally, I would love to see a better kicker emerge or for Brown to improve.

I would assume it is Read's call. He probably wants some competition for Brown. They were at the bowl game and could see Barney's lack of confidence in Brown caused Beck to make those two ill-advised playcalls on third and fourth down.

I would think this reads more into what is going to happen to Bondi rather than Brown. It is a win win for NU to replace a scholarship kickoff guy with a walk on kick off guy. No reason to take up 2 schollys for kickers.

I believe Bondi has moved on or is planning on moving on this summer. Could be wrong, this was brought to me back in November that he was more than likely leaving after graduating.

So, the question is, has he graduated or will he this spring?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:
Just read over at the Husker Max site that a Juco place kicker will be making a visit to NU. I wonder if this means Riley is not confident in Brown/Bondi? Or, since there is no scholarship offer, is he just being encouraged to walk on for the sake of competition? Or maybe a little of both?

Brown is pretty accurate inside of 40 yards but below average beyond that range. He is not bad kicker by any stretch but we have gotten spoiled around here with better than average kicking for quite a while. Personally, I would love to see a better kicker emerge or for Brown to improve.
Guy is 4.0 student so as a walk-on he should qualify for some academic scholarship

HTO, I was wondering that too. I thought that was how it worked with guys who played more than one sport with football being one of them, wasn't sure about academic scholarships.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
I believe Bondi has moved on or is planning on moving on this summer. Could be wrong, this was brought to me back in November that he was more than likely leaving after graduating.

So, the question is, has he graduated or will he this spring?
A friend of mine who knows Bondi says the same thing ... that Bondi is planning on moving on this summer. So that leaves us with one scholarship kicker who is good from within the 40 but sketchy in that 41-48 yard range. This would be a good pick up if the coaching staff can get him here as a walk on.

Randy, doesn't the minute he participates in a game he counts against the 85 limit?
I think it does but I`m still waiting on more details.

Originally posted by rrthusker:

Randy, doesn't the minute he participates in a game he counts against the 85 limit?
He would be a "preferred walk on," whatever that is.

Still baffles me a little bit on why you put a long snapper on scholarship but ask the guy you want to (possibly) kick 50 yard field goals or kick off into the end zone to walk on? I know the snap is important, but with a coach designated entirely to special teams, I would think that that is something you could develop. Guy's either a kicker or he's not! Perhaps if the staff knows that Biondi is gone they would reward the Juco kicker if he wins the job?

I think when you have an assistant coach who is dedicated to special teams he pays attention to every detail and he wants to have some options just in case.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:

Brown needs to improve a ton to be an acceptable kicker. His kicks have way too much movement. He must straighten them out or he will never be accurate. I am personally concerned that this will never happen.

Originally posted by RedCap:
I think when you have an assistant coach who is dedicated to special teams he pays attention to every detail and he wants to have some options just in case.
We really need somebody that can put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs and kick a long field goal. Brown has to get stronger or he will lose his job.

Originally posted by phoenix4nu:
Originally posted by rrthusker:

He would be a "preferred walk on," whatever that is.
preferred walk on just means that the University will pay for all of his equipment, he gets to eat at the training table, and use all the other facilities the scholarship guys use. a regular walk on has to pay out of pocket for that.

Found these links to his practice film on you tube.....would be a great get if he comes.

Feb 2nd 2015: http://youtu.be/HvHyNEk-9jI
Continuous field goal kicks: http://youtu.be/MOfMOVpuH3w
2014 JC Highlight Film: http://youtu.be/SWg-x8dJBCU

220px-Boris_Badenov.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT