ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Martin - alleged NFL bullying victim taken into custody

Was this a threat? I'm not sure it is. People say stuff all the time and others don't over react.

I do find it interesting that not one of you said a thing about those doing the bullying.

It also looks like now as a society, we are going to foster a culture that encourages people to 'report' all kinds of things, even if there is no crime committed.

Welcome to the USSA.
What isn't a threat about this? He is saying he has 2 options, kill himself or others, and specifically lists the others. Further, with a dozen empty shotgun shells, it looks like he made his decision which route preferred.
He's very dangerous...a guy with serious mental problems, and a perpetual victim. A bad combination.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
What isn't a threat about this? He is saying he has 2 options, kill himself or others, and specifically lists the others. Further, with a dozen empty shotgun shells, it looks like he made his decision which route preferred.
He's very dangerous...a guy with serious mental problems, and a perpetual victim. A bad combination.
All of your post is correct except one thing. Those shells are not empty.

So your solution would be to wait until he actually hurts or attempts to hurt someone before you'd do anything?
My solution for all this is simple. Kids have a problem? Let them fight after school instead of preaching to them how that's not acceptable. All kids think they can say anything to anyone, and will not get punched in the nose.
Time for society to punch the assholes in the nose. And if that doesn't work, maybe bloody lip or swell an eye.

Yeah, and especially a person as old as he is posting that. This is not a middle schooler pissed off because he got mocked in the lunch room.

In the time we live in, with social media and a pulse on everyone even remotely famous, this was a terrible tweet/post or whatever by Martin. This kind of thing has to absolutely be taken seriously. I understand what he is going through, though.

When I was in 8th grade, there was a bully in our class that targeted me. I have no idea why, other than the fact that I was the new kid. I would have loved to beat the shit out of him ( and I could have), but the bigger fear for me was coming home with a suspension and having to tell my parents. If it weren't for another bully, one that actually befriended me and beat the shit out of this other bully, I may have acted.

I'm not saying I would have ever done what Martin implied (back then it was fistifcuffs), but there are plenty of people being bullied today. The effects of it don't always manifest immediately. He needs to be given the opportunity for counseling and serious monitoring by law enforcement. I hope he isn't thrown in prison for this.

Bullies today are NOTHING compared to generations past.

I've seen some pretty vicious fights in my day. Kids today don't fight that way. Progress?

Bullies today are NOTHING compared to generations past.

I've seen some pretty vicious fights in my day. Kids today don't fight that way. Progress?

I was going to update my post, but you beat me with reply. Unfortunately I deleted my post.

Anyway, are you sure about the comment "Kids today don't fight that way."? Because, it absolutely is not true. My sister works at a middle school and the same shit is going on. There is no progress. In fact, it is getting worse. Bullies in the past might dump you into a garbage can, or throw you in a locker. They weren't throwing double AA batteries at your head across a room or threatening you with knives.

The thing about bullying now a days is it’s not handled with your fists any more it’s handled with weapons. Also why should kids be afraid to go to school? If I remember correctly aren’t our schools raked like 27th world wide.... behind China, Japan, Korea, and others. We spend more on school security then we do on books. We have more and more people educating their kids at home or sending them to private schools. Arming teachers is not the answer the country as a whole is broken and we are so divided we are afraid to have a conversation about anything the silent 80% of us are afraid to say anything or to stand up for what is right while we watch the Other 2 10 percenters tear us apart.

I was going to update my post, but you beat me with reply. Unfortunately I deleted my post.

Anyway, are you sure about the comment "Kids today don't fight that way."? Because, it absolutely is not true. My sister works at a middle school and the same shit is going on. There is no progress. In fact, it is getting worse. Bullies in the past might dump you into a garbage can, or throw you in a locker. They weren't throwing double AA batteries at your head across a room or threatening you with knives.

Ok. Point taken.

P.S. If someone pulled a knife on my kid that kid would be in Juvie.

Of course, I don't have any kids. My weekends need to be WIDE open...always

Bullying is a bigger problem now than it was when I was growing up in the 80s. The bullying we dealt with was almost entirely physical, and you really could fight back and put an end to it. In today's world it's verbal and emotional taunting and almost always involves groups. Its patterns of harassment that occur everywhere from schools to the workplace to neighborhoods to online. Hardly anyone speaks up and its become a societal norm. Just look at the political atmosphere in our country. People attack each other and rarely, if ever, even discuss actual issues.
I blame a number of factors for this change: 1) Changing attitudes about respect, particularly toward adults 2) middle-class economic hardship during the recent recession 3) loss of faith in institutions and leaders 4) globalization and competition for fewer resources 5) education standards that no longer reward hard work more than connections and demographic desirability

Bullying is a bigger problem now than it was when I was growing up in the 80s. The bullying we dealt with was almost entirely physical, and you really could fight back and put an end to it. In today's world it's verbal and emotional taunting and almost always involves groups. Its patterns of harassment that occur everywhere from schools to the workplace to neighborhoods to online. Hardly anyone speaks up and its become a societal norm. Just look at the political atmosphere in our country. People attack each other and rarely, if ever, even discuss actual issues.
I blame a number of factors for this change: 1) Changing attitudes about respect, particularly toward adults 2) middle-class economic hardship during the recent recession 3) loss of faith in institutions and leaders 4) globalization and competition for fewer resources 5) education standards that no longer reward hard work more than connections and demographic desirability

Regarding point 1, I think this is due in large part to parents not saying “no”. Too many want to be a friend and not a parent/role model. As a result, they wont tell their kid “no” and correct behaviors but rather they justify their kid’s behavior and make excuses. Example: Kid mouths off to a teacher in school. Used to be the kid would get detention at minimum and be afraid of parents finding out. Now the kid puts a sob story out on social media, becomes a victim, and mommy and daddy threaten a suit. As a culture we are failing our utes by not setting boundaries of right and wrong bit rather allowing them them do anything because saying “no” will hurt their feelings. Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
For the amount of supposed “bullying” going on, there is honestly very little true bullying going on in schools anymore. Kids are so much more tolerant than when I was in high school 20-25 years ago, and trust me, there are twice as many weirdos trying to get attention as there was back then.

Obviously I’m not including “cyber-bullying” here. Kids that can be bullied online really aren’t worth society’s time IMO.

Kids that can be bullied on line arent worth society’s time? How so?

A coworkers son attends a large high school in dfw. Was bullied on line relentlessly for 18 months. Twice attempted suicide. Would you tell his family he was not worth the time of our society? He got help and is fine now. Oh and the bully? Moved to Idaho and sexually assaulted a special ed student after whipping him with a coat hanger. I believe that article was actually linked on here by another posted when it occurred. So which person is not worth our time?

Bullies are different/have issues. They prey on on soft or mentally weak people, who are also different/have issues.

Result = shootings

Takes two. I don't think 1 is to blame. If either one in this sick relationship chooses to help themselves, problem solved.

See Dez Bryant response to rookie initiation/bullying. He didn't shoot the place up.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Regarding point 1, I think this is due in large part to parents not saying “no”. Too many want to be a friend and not a parent/role model. As a result, they wont tell their kid “no” and correct behaviors but rather they justify their kid’s behavior and make excuses. Example: Kid mouths off to a teacher in school. Used to be the kid would get detention at minimum and be afraid of parents finding out. Now the kid puts a sob story out on social media, becomes a victim, and mommy and daddy threaten a suit. As a culture we are failing our utes by not setting boundaries of right and wrong bit rather allowing them them do anything because saying “no” will hurt their feelings. Now get off my lawn.

IMHO, our culture is becoming more and more pagan. Our schools are pagan and don't know what's right and what's wrong, it's hard to set boundaries when people in charge don't know where to turn to find out what's right and what's wrong. IMO, telling kindergartner boys they may actually want to be girls is terribly evil, others think it's good.

Social media, kids doing it in groups, mostly words, interesting.

He needs help, if he doesn't end up getting charged and convicted as long as he gets help, that is the most important thing.
I said it when the whole Dolphin "bullying" thing hit the fan. Martin has some mental health issues. You're in an NFL locker room and you accuse people of being racist and bullies when their best friend playing next to him is also black and defends him? Time to take a look in the mirror and get some counseling or else just get the hell out and go do something where everybody will stroke your ego.

I don't. People say all kinds of things directly to people, and no one takes it serious. He didn't say shooting, he didn't even say kill, so it wasn't a direct threat like "I'm gonna kill you" etc.

The problem with this sort of thing in light of the school shooting is we are quickly creating a society with no freedom and now people are encouraged to be instantly triggered by some picture posted on a website.

Bullies are relentless, causing emotional torture over and over and over until the other person breaks down.

Yet everyone here is out to judge this guy as sick or mental or whatever.

It might just be that the bullies are the ones with the actual problem, but yeah, lets keep treating symptoms and not the problem.
Uh, completely wrong.
It worked for me. I was bullied and then one day I had enough and broke the other guys nose. I wasn’t bothered after that.

It worked for me. I was bullied and then one day I had enough and broke the other guys nose. I wasn’t bothered after that.
I'm not saying you can't clock somebody if you're being bullied. My response was to NikkiSixx when he stated, "Under the current system, there is only one way to stop bullying, and the victim has to use violence to do it."

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
IMHO, our culture is becoming more and more pagan. Our schools are pagan and don't know what's right and what's wrong, it's hard to set boundaries when people in charge don't know where to turn to find out what's right and what's wrong. IMO, telling kindergartner boys they may actually want to be girls is terribly evil, others think it's good.

Social media, kids doing it in groups, mostly words, interesting.

Pagan? Really?

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Did you say utes? What's a ute?

Yes, Pagan.

You clearly don't know what pagans are. True followers of what we call pagan religions, or neo-paganism as it is more accurately called today, have a very structured and high level of morality which they tend to follow far more closely than many so-called followers of more mainstream religions. Now if you are referring to followers of Crowley's "magick", where the philosophy is "do what thou wilt", you might have a point. But given the miniscule number of true Crowley followers they probably don't have any real influence in schools.

Was this a threat? I'm not sure it is. People say stuff all the time and others don't over react.

I do find it interesting that not one of you said a thing about those doing the bullying.

It also looks like now as a society, we are going to foster a culture that encourages people to 'report' all kinds of things, even if there is no crime committed.

Welcome to the USSA.
@NikkiSixx
Yeah, that wasn't a "real" threat. Nothing behind it. Quit overreacting. Nothing to see hear.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ssessed-loaded-shotgun-knife-ax-when-arrested

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT