ADVERTISEMENT

Joining the SEC

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
If this could be pulled off it would be a huge win. Nebraska today doesn't match up with SEC powers but given time in that conference with the boost to recruiting it would bring, and the exposure of playing the best teams in CFB, it would be worth it. The window of opportunity would be now since the SEC has 14 teams and 16 seems a natural upper limit on conference size. I don't believe the SEC would treat Nebraska like an inferior backwater the way the Big 10 has pretty much from the start (voting against AAU membership just because the university has separate facilities in Omaha - including the number one infectious disease lab). Games would be in fun places like Florida and the Bayou. I think one of the current Big 12 members like Oklahoma or Kansas could round out the deal.

SEC West:
Nebraska
Oklahoma or Kansas
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Texas A&M
Mississippi St
Missouri

SEC East:
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
South Carolina

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
SEC West:
Nebraska
Oklahoma or Kansas
Tennessee
LSU
Mississippi
Texas A&M
Mississippi St
Missouri

SEC East:
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
South Carolina

LOL Yea they would move Georgia and Florida in the same division with Gump and Auburn.🙄

And put Nebraska in the opposite division.🥴

We struggle in the West, in the B1G. That seems like a very tall order to me and i'm not following why our recruiting is going to get somehow better if we go to the SEC.

The B1G hasn't done us any favors and it sucls they voted against us on the AAU thingy, but I blame the leadership that got us into the B1G, they should have had a handshake agreement on that beforehand. That was a failure on our part for leaving that up to them.

We struggle in the West, in the B1G. That seems like a very tall order to me and i'm not following why our recruiting is going to get somehow better if we go to the SEC.

The B1G hasn't done us any favors and it sucls they voted against us on the AAU thingy, but I blame the leadership that got us into the B1G, they should have had a handshake agreement on that beforehand. That was a failure on our part for leaving that up to them.

Actually it would open up Texas more in the SEC and we already like to recruit the south hard now and would definitely help there. The SEC would be a dream for me even though the pounding we would take right now would be hard to swallow. In the ling run the SEC would be much better for the program though IMO.

Actually it would open up Texas more in the SEC and we already like to recruit the south hard now and would definitely help there. The SEC would be a dream for me even though the pounding we would take right now would be hard to swallow. In the ling run the SEC would be much better for the program though IMO.

Texas, A&M, TCU, OU, (in no particular order) would be the pecking order for studs with options...then toss in Baylor, Okie Lite, and a handful of other SEC schools, where does Nebraska fit in there?? I don't know the exact answer but i'm just not following why studs with options are going to choose us at a rate high enough to compete for a title in the SEC. We stand a better chance of winning the B1G by far IMO.

Reactions: saluno22
Texas, A&M, TCU, OU, (in no particular order) would be the pecking order for studs with options...then toss in Baylor, Okie Lite, and a handful of other SEC schools, where does Nebraska fit in there?? I don't know the exact answer but i'm just not following why studs with options are going to choose us at a rate high enough to compete for a title in the SEC. We stand a better chance of winning the B1G by far IMO.

Of course it would be easier to win in the BIG. You're comparing the Big Boy league to JV.

Actually the SEC does treat every school as equals. If I can speak for all SEC teams I believe each team understands that the SEC office runs the league for the benefit of all. There were lots of discussions concerning how to move forward with football season . I am sure the final decisions did not give each school what they wanted if they had a specific issues but it was a way to move forward with rules in place to handle virus issues that were sure to come up during the season. Once they were agreed upon that was it. Every team was on board. There were rivalry games with out side universities that would not be played this year. Now for the hard part for Nebraska and Nebraska fans. No team in the SEC would have run out and tried to schedule a game with an out of conference foe. Once each school agreed to the plan this year they have stood by their acceptance shoulder to shoulder with all league teams.

Nick Saban is 0-2 lifetime against NU. LSU is 0-5-1. Florida is 0-2. Tennessee and Georgia are 1-1. Why wouldn't we go to a conference where we would dominate? Alright, but come on, we should go to where we will thrive long term and not worry about the immediate.

If this could be pulled off it would be a huge win. Nebraska today doesn't match up with SEC powers but given time in that conference with the boost to recruiting it would bring, and the exposure of playing the best teams in CFB, it would be worth it. The window of opportunity would be now since the SEC has 14 teams and 16 seems a natural upper limit on conference size. I don't believe the SEC would treat Nebraska like an inferior backwater the way the Big 10 has pretty much from the start (voting against AAU membership just because the university has separate facilities in Omaha - including the number one infectious disease lab). Games would be in fun places like Florida and the Bayou. I think one of the current Big 12 members like Oklahoma or Kansas could round out the deal.
Really? Do you think Nebraska is ready to cheat like the $EC schools so it can keep up? Joining the $EC and being unwilling to cheat with them on a comparable scale would be like having both arms tied behind your back.

Reactions: rmndcat
Nick Saban is 0-2 lifetime against NU. LSU is 0-5-1. Florida is 0-2. Tennessee and Georgia are 1-1. Why wouldn't we go to a conference where we would dominate? Alright, but come on, we should go to where we will thrive long term and not worry about the immediate.
I'm glad you were somewhat sarcastic, considering Jimmy Johnson was 0-5 against us while at OKST. Of course, he went 1-0 at Miami against us, won a natty while there, won a couple of Super Bowls, and is enshrined in Canton. I doubt he spends much time thinking about his 1-5 record against Nebraska. Same with Nick Saban.

However, I have zero reason to think we'd thrive in the SEC as opposed to the B1G. When people complain about the SEC, what conference do we join then?

Exactly, it's all about the long run. College football is dying, and in the end it'll mainly remain as a South and sightly Midwest phenomenon. Which will leave the B1G being a part of the rest of the country where football will someday no longer be.

I'd rather get the difficulties out of the way right now while we're still rebuilding and secure our long term existence.

Okay, I’ll play fantasyland.

At the end of 2020, Nebraska is such a valuable football program that the SEC just has to have us be part of their conference. We will overlook all the SEC’s alleged cheating and sketchy history and accept an invitation.

The sporting world will marvel at how the premier football conference has added yet another shining star to their resume. Everyone will not be able to wait until the 2021 season begins.

Fast forward 5 - 10 years and Nebraska is performing similar to the past two decades. Middle of the pack with no championships. We figure out that Bama and LSU have a ton of influence in the conference and it doesn’t help that we have never beaten either team since joining the conference.

So who is the next conference who will open their arms and let us join once we determine we don’t like the SEC and need to leave???

Reactions: bigboxes

At the end of 2020, Nebraska is such a valuable football program that the SEC just has to have us be part of their conference. We will overlook all the SEC’s alleged cheating and sketchy history and accept an invitation.

The sporting world will marvel at how the premier football conference has added yet another shining star to their resume. Everyone will not be able to wait until the 2021 season begins.

Fast forward 5 - 10 years and Nebraska is performing similar to the past two decades. Middle of the pack with no championships. We figure out that Bama and LSU have a ton of influence in the conference and it doesn’t help that we have never beaten either team since joining the conference.

So who is the next conference who will open their arms and let us join once we determine we don’t like the SEC and need to leave???
So you really think we'll continue to struggle 5-10 years from now?

So you really think we'll continue to struggle 5-10 years from now?
if we stay in the B1G, that will be another hurdle to try to overcome..

I don't think any of this works for Nebraska in this conference.

The more time down the road, the less impact one has.. until, gulp Nebraska is no different from Minnesota.

Zero hotbed recruiting areas where the parents can watch their kids, stuck in a conference that cares more about academics than football.

The Big 12 at leasts puts you in a conference that has some representation in the South.

Most of the football talent is in the South.

If Nebraska stays in the B1G, so be it, but don't ever expect a return to greatness on any consistent basis. You might have a good year once a decade or two, but that's it.

I’m a turnaround business guy. I coach businesses to focus on building great businesses and not to focus on exits. When I’m directly involved, I forbid discussion...even mention...of exits. ...just build a great business, and the exits take care of themselves.

That’s what I want Frost and team to do, and that is what they will do. Enough talk about exits.

I think after the tv deal finishes NU can be in a group of teams in the power 5 that breaks away from the ncaa and goes amateur.

Pretty sure those wins were when we were good.Now not so much.

Exactly, it's all about the long run. College football is dying, and in the end it'll mainly remain as a South and sightly Midwest phenomenon. Which will leave the B1G being a part of the rest of the country where football will someday no longer be.

I'd rather get the difficulties out of the way right now while we're still rebuilding and secure our long term existence.
College football is not dying. Why do you think it is dying?

Reactions: bshirt73
College football is not dying. Why do you think it is dying?
Football in general is dying. People say evolving, but I'd disagree at this point in time. As the whole sport goes, surely we'd see it first in the college ranks (aside from high school, which really is dying). PAC 12 and B1G care more about academics and Covid shutdown politics than athletics. The SEC and perhaps ACC will be the final refuge for college football just due to the sheer football talent in the South.

I think you are underestimating Nebraska. Even now we are a lot more valuable as a CFB commodity than 3/4 of the teams in the Big 10. Nebraska has a national following and a history. Right now Nebraska is about as down as they will be, but with stability and recruiting NU will be better. But NU in the SEC has a much higher ceiling. Nebraska already has more quality recruits from Alabama and Georgia than it does from a single Big 10 state. That would only increase playing games in those states. The SEC is also the most watched conference with the marquee matchups. Nebraska with its following would only add to that and the SEC knows it.
Again, NU right now is a mediocre program, but in the right conference that could change for the better relatively quickly.
As far as cheating, I doubt it's really any worse than what has gone on in the Big 10 and 12. The current coaches in that conference have a lot more integrity than past coaches.

I would hate to see Nebraska leave, as I enjoy the Northwestern-Nebraska series and relative parity, but if you were going back to the Big 12 makes WAAAY more sense.

The SEC has a very different culture (you get looked at if you aren’t dressed like you’re going to church at the games).

The Big 12 has a talent level on par with the AAC or the Big East (is that still a thing?). You could go back and start winning titles.

I'm all done with conference changes. we need to figure out how to win again.
the big ten is fine anything else is sideways or a downgrade.
really I'd rather they make 8, 8 team conferences then a playoff.
thats what was great about the big 8, everyone played everyone and you didn't need a champ game.

I think you are underestimating Nebraska. Even now we are a lot more valuable as a CFB commodity than 3/4 of the teams in the Big 10. Nebraska has a national following and a history. Right now Nebraska is about as down as they will be, but with stability and recruiting NU will be better. But NU in the SEC has a much higher ceiling. Nebraska already has more quality recruits from Alabama and Georgia than it does from a single Big 10 state. That would only increase playing games in those states. The SEC is also the most watched conference with the marquee matchups. Nebraska with its following would only add to that and the SEC knows it.
Again, NU right now is a mediocre program, but in the right conference that could change for the better relatively quickly.
As far as cheating, I doubt it's really any worse than what has gone on in the Big 10 and 12. The current coaches in that conference have a lot more integrity than past coaches.
Agreed. We'd even have a built in rivalry game with Mizzou, imagine that. Couple that with the inevitability of either OU or Texas switching someday. I think it'd be good.

This is not the early 2005...not even 2010. The SEC is NOT courting us. We don’t bring enoug televisions, we are not a cultural fit, and we have zero national appeal. Best case scenario would be rejoining the big 12. Hell the Mountain West is more realistic than the SEC. We are not leaving the B1G.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT