ADVERTISEMENT

John Parella supposedly N

Things I like:

Played for Nebraska.
Was a standout player from a time when the team was truly great.
Seems like he will be a good coach based on reputation.

Things I don't like:

Not a proven recruiter.
Not a big-name hire.

Pretty standard. I am kind of expecting this out of Riley now. Lets see if it translates into results.

FYI, I don't necessarily have a problem with a coach sticking with people he knows, or with hiring unproven talent; I just want to see the team succeed like it used to and unknowns make me nervous.

Reactions: The Tooth Fairy
In other former Nebraska player coaching moves. From last week

UNLV: UNLV has hired Georgia State defensive line coach Tony Samuel to coach the same position according to SI.

glad to see many are optimistic ... probably a good hire

can some of you who have broken down the defensive line play of northern michigan university while he coached there share some of your impressions

interested in some detailed Xs and Os as I know just looking at the season stats where Northern Michigan finished 13th out of 15 teams in the GLIAC conference in rushing yards given up and 13 out of 15 in sacks doesn't tell the entire story of the defensive line play while he coached there last year

thanks

can some of you who have broken down the defensive line play of northern michigan university while he coached there share some of your impressions

interested in some detailed Xs and Os as I know just looking at the season stats where Northern Michigan finished 13th out of 15 teams in the GLIAC conference in rushing yards given up and 13 out of 15 in sacks doesn't tell the entire story of the defensive line play while he coached there last year

thanks

I would gather that he recruited about a dozen lineman for the simple purpose that he had no players at the position essentially.

Let's give him a chance to see what he can do whether it's recruiting or improving our defensive line play before some of us criticize the hire.

thanks
Looks like loser stats. Everyone knows he has no chance of improving those numbers in Lincoln. Rabble rabble rabble. Fire everyone!!!!

If he can recruit, I like it.
Coached by McBride, excelled at Nebraska and 2nd round pick & played 11 years in the NFL.
Like I said, if he can recruit, then I think it's a very good hire.

Reactions: scarletred
Let's give him a chance to see what he can do whether it's recruiting or improving our defensive line play before some of us criticize the hire.
Any reasonable fan will of course give him a chance. I would have preferred a different hire, but am willing to see how it goes. Of course, no announcement yet.

Great hire. The thing I like about Riley is that the guy learns. After a bunch of missteps he has taken stock of his problems, owned them, and is making better decisions. From every indication he has done that with the offense and knows we have to run the ball. He hired the wrong guy and got rid of him. He knows he has to respect the Nebraska Way and goes out and makes the perfect hire.

I'm liking what I am seeing...things are looking up.

Great hire. The thing I like about Riley is that the guy learns. After a bunch of missteps he has taken stock of his problems, owned them, and is making better decisions. From every indication he has done that with the offense and knows we have to run the ball. He hired the wrong guy and got rid of him. He knows he has to respect the Nebraska Way and goes out and makes the perfect hire.

Completely Agree. An adult is now in charge of our program. Let's hope that translates into wins. GBR!

Reactions: Tulsa Tom

Lol at a bunch of missteps.

Not a big name or home run hire? Who exactly would be a home run hire for a DL position coach? Who is the big name that we didn't get? Larry Johnson? Ed O? What big name DL coach is going to take a lateral move here? Or....do you expect some big name DC to take a demotion and come here and coach the DL? Who's house was the Brinks Truck supposed to back up to and magically make the want to come here? Apparently a home state, NFL veteran, who I'm guessing probably wants to be here, and hopefully won't be looking for another stepping stone job, at least as quickly as some might isn't good enough?

Can he recruit? Well lets see, Riley just let a guy go who by all accounts, couldn't recruit. Call me kooky, but I'm guessing he probably wanted to be comfortable in his ability to recruit, and his people skills before hiring the guy. I'm guessing that was probably a big part of any interviews, "So JP, what is your philosophy on recruiting?" Guess we will see, but as I said before, he has instant credibility with DL recruits when they find out he played what 10 years in the NFL? He won't have to BS kids into believing he knows what he is talking about, he's been there, done that, and earned everything he got starting from being a walk on. If a kid he recruits doesn't have a father in the home who remembers JP the player, there is a good chance his HS coach will.

If you are under the age of about 33 or so, you probably don't have an appreciation for just how damn good of a player this guy was. He had a motor that didn't stop. Had he been 4-5 years younger and been here during the glory years of the 90s, he'd be an absolute legend. If he can get out of others what he got out of himself, this will be a grand freaking slam hire.

For some, "this is not the splash hire your are looking for".

Exactamundo! Seems like a hire to make certain people happy we have a Nebraska guy on staff. Really wanted a recruiting machine instead of Jason Peter Light.

PS - He played a Suh-like game vs Colorado in 92. Unblockable that afternoon.

Last edited:
Exactamundo! Seems like a hire to make certain people happy we have a Nebraska guy on staff. Really wanted a recruiting machine instead of Jason Peter Light.
So how do you know we didn't get a recruiting machine and instead got a Jason Peter lite?

Just curious...

Reactions: dinglefritz
In before:

- this was our one chance for a splash hire, we failed
- this isn't Ed Orgeron
- big time programs hire big time assistants
- Parella is only coming for the paycheck
- I miss Bo

Will that about cover it, or have I missed any?

He'd better Run. The. Ball.

Dammit.

I am very concerned that he has not signed any recruits for next years class yet. I mean come on.... it is almost the end of February. What the hell has Parrella been doing?!!!!!
I'm picking up on your sarcasm.
hqdefault.jpg

But posters did and still have a point. Nebraska did finish #25. And just barely.

Reactions: newAD

FWIW Peter campaigned for him as did McBride.

Like the hire; however, recruiting is a clear point of concern. I'm not suggesting he will be a poor recruiter - just that it's a massive question mark at this point. It's even more important given what 2017 is going to require at DL.
I suspect he will be light years better than Carl and Kaz were. Here's the deal. We got a guy that wants to be here, loves the place and was likely recommended highly by both Tom and Charlie. Riley knows his work ethic and personality. I would think this was a relatively easy decision for him. He'll be able to sell NU like nobody else could.

I suspect he will be light years better than Carl and Kaz were. Here's the deal. We got a guy that wants to be here, loves the place and was likely recommended highly by both Tom and Charlie. Riley knows his work ethic and personality. I would think this was a relatively easy decision for him. He'll be able to sell NU like nobody else could.

I trust Riley 100%. Just noting that recruiting is a question mark in a freaking huge year for DL.

How so? Everyone knows Riley is here to just collect a check. And how could Parrella recruit to such a terrible location, program, and state????!!!!!!

I trust Riley 100%. Just noting that recruiting is a question mark in a freaking huge year for DL.
I share your concern and it would have been nice to hire somebody that already was in the ear of some big time recruits, BUT I think he will do just fine. If we don't land the guys we want at DT, it won't be because of a lack of effort on his part. I'm not sure that was the case with Hughes. When you look at what is out there for DTs in this upcoming class, the pickings are awfully slim and we are probably going to have to find some guys that don't really emerge until their senior season. Hopefully we can find a JUCO DT that is ready for D-1.

How so? Everyone knows Riley is here to just collect a check. And how could Parrella recruit to such a terrible location, program, and state????!!!!!!
Winking And then there is the car thing too. He may actually have to get on a plane.

Of course my line was an attempt at humor. I suspect the guy will recruit well. I like the fact that he coached JUCO in Cali. Those contacts should be valuable.

Do any of Parella's sons look like they could follow in their Pop's Blackshirt footsteps? I believe he has 3 sons in high school. Hope they are a chip off the old block.
Pretty sure one is a LB at Hastings college.

Seems like a good hire. Often, the most important thing is finding a guy who is a good fit and can sell the program. Shouldn't be a problem for this guy.

Do any of Parella's sons look like they could follow in their Pop's Blackshirt footsteps? I believe he has 3 sons in high school. Hope they are a chip off the old block.

Isn't that a requisite of any coach we hire? If you don't have D1 quality kids that are 14-19, you cannot apply for the position!

IMO, anyone who doesn't get this has some complex ( omnipotent nariss,,,) thinking. This is a great hire and gives us home run potential - HCMR is going for tough and tenacious - that fits right up through 97 in the 90's; name the play and run over em tough. ... With his pro experience and time in Calif; it adds to what is becoming a huge mining of the talent in that top state. Think of it, a pipeline developing from there. I got out of initial reaction of questions and opened my eyes; this is good news. Its a tough profession; with lots of competition. By the way, thanks for being a great poster. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT