ADVERTISEMENT

John Parella supposedly N

This surprises me a little. I don't know ANYTHING about his coaching abilities, but it is good to see Riley and Co. thinking outside the box and respecting Nebraska history.

Reactions: blackbones
I like that he is a DL guy that knows the position, and I feel like will teach good technique. Don't know a lot about him, but hopefully he can recruit, and is engaged in it. I agree not quite the splash, but at least he does know his stuff at the position.

Thoughts questions concerns?

Good hire.

Like the Nebraska ties. Love the NFL experience. He dragged 11 DL (or some large number) willfully into Northern Michigan, putting the N on his chest might get him bigger fish (ala Williams, Bray) etc.

A little more of a risk than Lupoi, but huge upside IMO. I think he'll be a fan hit, especially once Jason Peter takes to the air to say how great the staff did in getting John on board.

There'll be a handful of guys who say he's not Lupoi or Orgeron, but that's about it.

Very intriguing hire by Coach Riley. Not concerned about the Parrella's ability to coach up the D-Line and obviously him buying in to the program won't be a problem. But the big thing will be his recruiting. He'll be able to sell all the positives of the program as well as his NFL career, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. Gotta bring in some big time D-Linemen.

As far as on the field play this year, I think the current players will really like Parrella and buy in. I believe his biggest job in year one (besides the recruiting) is the development of the redshirt freshmen: Khalil and Carlos Davis, Alex Davis, and Daishon Neal.

WIKIPEDIA....must be true if it's on the internet! Winking

John Lorin Parrella
(born November 22, 1969 in Topeka, Kansas) is a retired American football defensive tackle in the National Football League. Parrella was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the second round of the 1993 NFL Draft out of the University of Nebraska. On February 22nd, 2016 he was hired on at Nebraska to be the defensive line coach.

Parrella played most of his career with the San Diego Chargers from 1994-2001. He proved to be a reliable defender on the interior as a defensive tackle starting in 1996, routinely finishing with more than 30 tackles a year through 2002. His best seasons came in 1999 and 2000 when he recorded 5.5 and 7.0 Sacks along with 5 combined forced fumbles. He also played for the Oakland Raiders from 2002-2004. He would record 1 Sack with 41 tackles in 2002.

Parrella previously coached at Northern Michigan University and Chabot Junior College (CA) and was the Head Coach at Valley Christian high school.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
At the end of the day, trust and familiarity are a big part of the hiring business in sports.

In before:

- this was our one chance for a splash hire, we failed
- this isn't Ed Orgeron
- big time programs hire big time assistants
- Parella is only coming for the paycheck
- I miss Bo

Will that about cover it, or have I missed any?

You missed....

Can't be true, Riley hates the walk-on program, and Parrella was a walk-on at one point. ;)

Just talked with his brother. Yip and they're excited. If you have never met John, trust me on this. He will turn out to be a good recruiter. Very likable & knowledgeable guy. Honest, & outspoken. Can relate to anyone. I've met John numerous times.

Just talked with his brother. Yip and they're excited. If you have never met John, trust me on this. He will turn out to be a good recruiter. Very likable & knowledgeable guy. Honest, & outspoken. Can relate to anyone. I've met John numerous times.
Sweet!!

If your feeling indifferent just sit back and see how it works out. I'll support em til they give me reason not to. GBR

Reactions: donahues17
If we don't get all the DL recruits we want, it won't all be on the new DL coach. Riley and Banker need to step up as well, as well as the regional recruiters for the DT prospects.

Does he still have family in GI? If so that is also a great bonus for him.

Reactions: sparky62
Good hire.

Like the Nebraska ties. Love the NFL experience. He dragged 11 DL (or some large number) willfully into Northern Michigan, putting the N on his chest might get him bigger fish (ala Williams, Bray) etc.

A little more of a risk than Lupoi, but huge upside IMO. I think he'll be a fan hit, especially once Jason Peter takes to the air to say how great the staff did in getting John on board.

There'll be a handful of guys who say he's not Lupoi or Orgeron, but that's about it.

With his NCAA baggage, I would say Lupoi is a huge risk.

Per Sam (my bold): What I suspect you'd see is a guy who can recruit the West Coast, has strong relationships on the junior college circuit — Hughes seemed to lack those — and a passion for developing guys the way he was developed.
He coached at a CA JUCO. Having some knowledge of things JUCO cannot hurt. And his CA HS contacts are valuable as well.
https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/dl-coach-update.112495/#post-2027380

Per LJS: "He was one of the best ever," former Husker defensive coordinator Charlie McBride once told the Journal Star.

That`s good enough for me. Although if you tell us he drinks Old Mil Lite that will be a deal breaker.

I can't imagine any Husker football fan not willing to give this hire a shot. Best of luck to Mr Parella in his new role here.

GBR

That`s good enough for me. Although if you tell us he drinks Old Mil Lite that will be a deal breaker.
No but I can remember walking into the gym and hearing "CAPTAIN MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGAN IS IN THE HOUSE". Great guy & has higher standards then Old Mil. Winking

Reactions: rrthusker
Hopefully he's a technician on the practice field who can light it up on the recruiting circuit. Couldn't really hear the audio on that youtube post.

Can't claim to know anything about his coaching chops, but if ability is equal, you like to give the edge to a guy who wore the N.

No but I can remember walking into the gym and hearing "CAPTAIN MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGAN IS IN THE HOUSE". Great guy & has higher standards then Old Mil. Winking

Good stuff. I will hold you accountable for his performance. :):):)

Like the hire; however, recruiting is a clear point of concern. I'm not suggesting he will be a poor recruiter - just that it's a massive question mark at this point. It's even more important given what 2017 is going to require at DL.

Like the hire; however, recruiting is a clear point of concern. I'm not suggesting he will be a poor recruiter - just that it's a massive question mark at this point. It's even more important given what 2017 is going to require at DL.
Outgoing, honest, persuasive, and believes in his product. IMO recruiting is about making friendships & honesty. Just 2 of John's traits. This is good IMO.

He will be exponentially better than Hughes, but I agree, I hope everything @sparky62 is correct. If so, guy should do just fine! GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT