ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Williams targeting call

That call drew a record number of flags- how in the world does all the ref call that? Aren't they supposed to be officiating certain areas of the field? I think a few even threw and hat and maybe a shoe...
Based on what I have seen this year the SEC reverses that call-

If they are going to enforce the rule like in the Williams case, they also need to create an offsetting rule that says defenseless players cannot advance the ball after they catch it, or allow the defenders to use a 2-hand touch rule. Jeez!

The other idiotic rule is being suspended for the next game for a half.. Makes no sense to penalize a player for the next game what so ever..
It's basically putting a kid in timeout. If he's in the NFL, they can just sock him for 25 Grand

Worse yet, they never called targeting on the OSU DB who hit a Nebraska player with his helmet. 😡🤦🏽‍♂️🤗

it was ridiculous. I get why Cam Taylor-Britt was called. I understood that one and I get it. But the D Williams hit was not targeting and he definitely doesn’t deserve to miss half of the Wisconsin game along with the time he missed vs OSU. And like you said, the OSU DB had a no call and he clearly hits our WR head to head. Funny considering the refs were all over the targeting calls....oh wait, it was OSU and not a Husker.

Even better view of the D Williams hit. Clearly not targeting. Yet the OSU defender hits our player with the top of his helmet....funny.

Neither are targeting. I have no problem with the no-call on the hit on Thompkins. The call on Williams was reminiscent of Kenny Bells block, where it was clean but vicious and the refs had to find something wrong with it. Total bull crap.

If anything, you could make the case that the hit on Thompkins was more egregious than the one that got Cam ejected because his happened so quickly.

Reactions: bigboxes
Neither are targeting. I have no problem with the no-call on the hit on Thompkins. The call on Williams was reminiscent of Kenny Bells block, where it was clean but vicious and the refs had to find something wrong with it. Total bull crap.

If anything, you could make the case that the hit on Thompkins was more egregious than the one that got Cam ejected because his happened so quickly.
agree.. the one on Cam looked more like a defensive move on his part.. he knew he was going to get hit, and tipped in rather than take it on the chin.

I agree for the most part. But by definition of the rule, crown of the helmet to the crown of the helmet is targeting...thus, the OSU defenders hit on Thompkins was a clear cut targeting. But go figure, NO CALL. D. Williams hit was not. It was shoulder to chest but I agree, they called it because dude put the boom down on the WR. Reminded me of Ronnie Lott back in the mid 90s. D Williams is a big time hitter. Sucks because now days we have a bunch of pansies out there and refs that will flag us for farting in the wrong direction.

Obviously we just need to start coaching our defenders to go for the knees. Tear 4 or 5 ACLs and see if the conference changes its approach.

That reminds me of the Nebr-BYU game where a BYU defender took out the knee of our TE on a ball that was way over his head and LATE. That guy should of been suspended for every game that our guy missed. Huge cheap shot and now I always think of BYU as a dirty team.

Now that we have 2 guys suspended which hurts our defense. It also impacts special teams. Not a huge huge deal but a minor complication. Cam was on our Punt team,Punt return team and Kick return. Williams is on the Kick off team. One thing that helps is this is a home game so we have a full complement of players to help out. I suspect Lynum will jump in there on some of the special teams as he replaced Cam against OSU. Not sure who will replace Williams on St.

Reactions: dinglefritz

You really need to let it go. Wisconsin was up 49-10 when the call on Bell was made. I don't think the refs needed to find something wrong with it. Plus, we still scored on that drive. It also had nothing to do with Wisconsin still scoring another 21 points afterwards.

The 3 targeting calls had nothing to do with us only scoring 17 points, or fumbling twice.

Losers cry about bad officiating. Winners persevere and win.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
The earlier hit where Williams nearly killed Olave and got no flag was what surprised the hell out of me.

Reactions: TheBeav815
You really need to let it go. Wisconsin was up 49-10 when the call on Bell was made. I don't think the refs needed to find something wrong with it. Plus, we still scored on that drive. It also had nothing to do with Wisconsin still scoring another 21 points afterwards.

The 3 targeting calls had nothing to do with us only scoring 17 points, or fumbling twice.

Guys like you make me laugh. You are so laser-focused on anyone who points out the officiating may have been bad that you automatically assume the people complaining are also saying it cost Nebraska the game.

No one, not a single person on this entire board, in any thread after the game, has indicated we lost because of the officials. But man, you sure are ready to jump on those who complain about the poor officiating and call them losers...

Here’s a thought... if threads like this, which was started because a respected college football analyst said the calls on the field and then upheld in the booth were bad, bother you that much, don’t read it. There are a lot of whiny threads on the board that I haven’t even touched because I know it’s stupid to get myself worked up over.

You’ll feel better not reading these ‘whiny’ posts and we won’t have to hear your snarky posts.

Deal?

Actually, Ryan Day spent a lot of time "crying" about the targeting rule last year. Is he a loser? The targeting rule sucks and ALL football coaches hate it. Win or lose. I'm actually all for the spirit of the rule, but the automatic ejection and suspension is DUMB.

Guys like you make me laugh. You are so laser-focused on anyone who points out the officiating may have been bad that you automatically assume the people complaining are also saying it cost Nebraska the game.

No one, not a single person on this entire board, in any thread after the game, has indicated we lost because of the officials. But man, you sure are ready to jump on those who complain about the poor officiating and call them losers...

Here’s a thought... if threads like this, which was started because a respected college football analyst said the calls on the field and then upheld in the booth were bad, bother you that much, don’t read it. There are a lot of whiny threads on the board that I haven’t even touched because I know it’s stupid to get myself worked up over.

You’ll feel better not reading these ‘whiny’ posts and we won’t have to hear your snarky posts.

Deal?

This 100%. We lose no matter what, but if we go in at half down 17-14 that is a different game. Confidence is a hell of a drug and in that case with the way we moved the ball, I am guess it could have been more of a 38 to 24 type game which looks a hell of a lot better. Our kids competed well and when you see 52-17 it looks like we got absolutely destroyed again which I don't think is the case. We don't win that game but that shit was egregious.

Did you actually read this thread before replying? No one is saying it changed to outcome of the game. The Williams targeting penalty was the wrong call. Kenny Bell's hit was awesome. He put shoulder to shoulder. Sorry if the Wisky player was caught off guard and was unprepared for the hit. NOT

Reactions: timnsun
IS there an avenue for the big to review this call and reinstate Williams? And if so, will they?
I just read something this morning that indicated it was possible for the suspension to be reviewed. But I won't hold my breath.

Edit: "There is still a shred of hope that the Big Ten Conference could review the penalties and decide to wave the additional discipline this week based on perceived lack of intent and severity."

Reactions: huskerfan66
Did you actually read this thread before replying? No one is saying it changed to outcome of the game. The Williams targeting penalty was the wrong call. Kenny Bell's hit was awesome. He put shoulder to shoulder. Sorry if the Wisky player was caught off guard and was unprepared for the hit. NOT
Yes I did read his post. Not sure you read his, or mine.

Actually, Ryan Day spent a lot of time "crying" about the targeting rule last year. Is he a loser? The targeting rule sucks and ALL football coaches hate it. Win or lose. I'm actually all for the spirit of the rule, but the automatic ejection and suspension is DUMB.
No, he isn't a loser, because his teams won games, despite whatever bad officiating he thinks his team suffered through.

And I believe there should be a two-tier targeting as well, like there used to be with facemasking.

I think we, as a fan base, whine too much about officials. That's all.

Deal?
So you're telling me that no member of our fan base, or on this board, have ever said we lost a game because of officiating?

There have been people already saying that if we lose to Wisconsin, it will be because of the calls in the Ohio State game. That, to me, sounds a lot like blaming the officials for a loss.

No, he isn't a loser, because his teams won games, despite whatever bad officiating he thinks his team suffered through.

And I believe there should be a two-tier targeting as well, like there used to be with facemasking.

I think we, as a fan base, whine too much about officials. That's all.
Not sure if I am in the two tier camp. Replay review just needs to do a better job and quit eating chicken wings and do their job. They can eat after the game. Several plays should have been reviewed that weren't

That call drew a record number of flags- how in the world does all the ref call that? Aren't they supposed to be officiating certain areas of the field? I think a few even threw and hat and maybe a shoe...
Based on what I have seen this year the SEC reverses that call-

any hard hit gets a flag now.

So you're telling me that no member of our fan base, or on this board, have ever said we lost a game because of officiating?

There have been people already saying that if we lose to Wisconsin, it will be because of the calls in the Ohio State game. That, to me, sounds a lot like blaming the officials for a loss.
I think every team that loses a game has fans that say it's because of the officiating. So you'd be best served if you'd stop crying about people crying. It's as much a fact of life as the sun rising in the east. And in this case, when literally everyone from Joel Klatt to Mike Pereira were saying they were bad calls, the complaints are more than justified.

Nice straw man argument. Now you are opening it up to every game ever played. Of course there are going to be posters in every fan base on this earth who are going to say at some point in time the refs cost their team a game. With that in mind, I suggest you go to every board in America and remind them that whining is for losers, just as you have here. Do your civic duty and call everyone out.

Now back to the point of this thread. No one on this board said we lost to OSU because of the refs. Do you agree?

And which posters are saying if we lose to wisconsin it’ll be because of the refs in the OSU game? I haven’t looked at all the posts, because the ones that are going to be contentious are threads I haven’t opened. You should try that as well.

I think every team that loses a game has fans that say it's because of the officiating. So you'd be best served if you'd stop crying about people crying. It's as much a fact of life as the sun rising in the east. And in this case, when literally everyone from Joel Klatt to Mike Pereira were saying they were bad calls, the complaints are more than justified.
I never said they weren't bad calls. All I'm saying is that good teams win in the face of bad calls, and don't make excuses, as some have. If you believe differently, then OK.

Last edited:
Nice straw man argument. Now you are opening it up to every game ever played. Of course there are going to be posters in every fan base on this earth who are going to say at some point in time the refs cost their team a game. With that in mind, I suggest you go to every board in America and remind them that whining is for losers, just as you have here. Do your civic duty and call everyone out.

Now back to the point of this thread. No one on this board said we lost to OSU because of the refs. Do you agree?

And which posters are saying if we lose to wisconsin it’ll be because of the refs in the OSU game? I haven’t looked at all the posts, because the ones that are going to be contentious are threads I haven’t opened. You should try that as well.
I'll admit that this thread didn't exist when I posted, but here you go:

I'll admit that this thread didn't exist when I posted, but here you go:

Will you also admit you could have responded way earlier but didn’t have a leg to stand on until this thread? You responded to mgbreis right away, obviously read my post as well and ignored it. Until something finally appeared to support your claim.

Let me say it again... if the standard is every game ever played throughout all of history, as you decided to claim to make a point, then every fan base in the nation at one time or another has made the claim that the refs cost them a game.

And no one said the refs cost the Huskers the Ohio State game either. Do you agree?

Will you also admit you could have responded way earlier but didn’t have a leg to stand on until this thread? You responded to mgbreis right away, obviously read my post as well and ignored it. Until something finally appeared to support your claim.

Let me say it again... if the standard is every game ever played throughout all of history, as you decided to claim to make a point, then every fan base in the nation at one time or another has made the claim that the refs cost them a game.

And no one said the refs cost the Huskers the Ohio State game either. Do you agree?
I'll admit that I answered mgbreis right away because his required a shorter answer, and then I had things to do until this evening, just like many people in America do.

Sure, other fan bases have all said that. However, our fan base is supposed to be of a higher standard, is it not?

Agreed.. i have NO problem with them calling it on the field.. throw the flag.. the worse part of this is when they review it and it clearly isnt violating any rule then overturn it.. thats where the mistake happens.. garbage

I'll admit that I answered mgbreis right away because his required a shorter answer, and then I had things to do until this evening, just like many people in America do.

Sure, other fan bases have all said that. However, our fan base is supposed to be of a higher standard, is it not?
Why? We should just take the poor officiating and not say anything about it? And if we do express displeasure this is bad, why?

I guess I don’t see where you’re coming from...

ADVERTISEMENT