ADVERTISEMENT

Jo Jo

So it looks to me like Jojo is exactly what he is suppose to be; a 3-4 outside linebacker who can play in space. He can cover,blitz,hold the edge and defend the run. Gives our defense some versatility and disguises intent.

On a little off topic note, in the 2nd link they talk about all the different players that played. That's going to help our depth&experience down the road. Love that.

The OLB position desperately needs him. I'll always believe his highest ceiling was as a safety, but he's been not just a player but the only player at OLB capable of making splash plays.

The recruiting at that spot man...oh boy. It's too early to tell on some of the more recent guys from say the last 2 years, but you have Jojo who was not an OLB recruit as your best player and then all the rest of them, woof.

If I gave you the option to trade straight up any NU OLB not named Domann for a mystery OLB starter from any other FBS 3-4 defense, you're probably taking the trade are you not?

If I gave you the option to trade straight up any NU OLB not named Domann for a mystery OLB starter from any other FBS 3-4 defense, you're probably taking the trade are you not?

I would trade. I would also position some of the older players out front to be picked rather than lose Wright and the freshmen as I have hope in their development and want to see what they bring to the table as we haven't seen them yet. I'm talking Wright,Butler&Gunnerson.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Well, this is certainly interesting.

Oldjar do realize JoJo was a safety at one time at Nebraska?

I disagree he is "instinctive." Great LB's are, they see the play develop, follow it, see a lane and go for the ball. JoJo is a speed guy where they bring him off the edge and he tracks the play from behind or comes hard on a blitz. He doesn't work in traffic all that well IMO. That said, he does very well in the confines of this D which is why I am glad he is returning.

We do put our LB's in difficult positions which is what I think McBride was talking about in the interview. Putting SOME of our LBs on WR's and RB's is a bit of a mismatch just waiting for a bad result. JoJo, while not world beater from the natural instinctive view is still very athletic and able to do most all things this D calls for. Very few get to be a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Well, this is certainly interesting.

Oldjar do realize JoJo was a safety at one time at Nebraska?

I disagree he is "instinctive." Great LB's are, they see the play develop, follow it, see a lane and go for the ball. JoJo is a speed guy where they bring him off the edge and he tracks the play from behind or comes hard on a blitz. He doesn't work in traffic all that well IMO. That said, he does very well in the confines of this D which is why I am glad he is returning.

We do put our LB's in difficult positions which is what I think McBride was talking about in the interview. Putting SOME of our LBs on WR's and RB's is a bit of a mismatch just waiting for a bad result. JoJo, while not world beater from the natural instinctive view is still very athletic and able to do most all things this D calls for. Very few get to be a one trick pony.
Yes I realize that. And there's probably a reason he was switched to LB when we didn't have very good safety depth at the time. Not to mention the weight he's put on and the technique he has to work on to be a linebacker, whatever coverage skills he may have had as a safety are probably gone by now. I like Jojo and it's great having a versatile player on a fundamentally sound defense. The problem is we're not a fundamentally sound defense, and that ends up negating much of Jojo's versatility.

The OLB position desperately needs him. I'll always believe his highest ceiling was as a safety, but he's been not just a player but the only player at OLB capable of making splash plays.

The recruiting at that spot man...oh boy. It's too early to tell on some of the more recent guys from say the last 2 years, but you have Jojo who was not an OLB recruit as your best player and then all the rest of them, woof.

I'd like to see Nelson put on 15-20 pounds and he can be a great run-stopping OLB and may even have the strength to bullrush when getting to the qb.

I'd like to see Nelson put on 15-20 pounds and he can be a great run-stopping OLB and may even have the strength to bullrush when getting to the qb.

He is not quick of foot now. Do you want him as a hand down DE in more of an even front?

He is not quick of foot now. Do you want him as a hand down DE in more of an even front?
Not necessarily. It looked like he leaned out a little this year and it hasn't helped with his quickness. I think he should bulk up a little and play to his strengths instead of trying to cover up his weaknesses. He's a run stopper and can also pass rush, but he should rarely be asked to cover anyone. I think he can do just fine as a 3-4 OLB if we play to his strengths.

I was watching A game a couple of days ago, and the thing that stood out to me was how damned FAST they got to the QB when they blitzed outside linebackers. They got home about as fast as the QB could cock his arm and throw the ball. Other than JoJo we look like we're wearing lead boots when we blitz. We really need some young talent to show up and get some reps this year at OLB.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT