ADVERTISEMENT

Jim McMahon, head pain, and concussions

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
I knew Jim McMahon had struggles with extreme head pain, bit didn't know until after watching the 30 for 30 about the 1985 Bears, that he had gotten some relief.

I'd love to hear more from his doctors and hear their thoughts on if they think this blockage that JM had is a contributing factor to CTE? Is this something separate? Should players who sustain concussions have their neck thoroughly examined for fluid blockage?

With the suicides of Duerson and Seau, it seems everyone focused on the concussions, but is that only part of the story?

I wonder if players like Tony Dorsett who at times (have been reported to) turn violent and angry have looked into if they have the same condition?

Obviously people way smarter than me will have to answer the's questions, but I find the response by the NFL as noted in this article somewhat puzzling. Anyway, it's an interesting read.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...e-back-and-they-can-help-others-too-1.9493358

I watched that last night on our Amazon Fire TV last night and was amazed.

If McMahon has had the issue since 1986 or 1993 and that fluid has been up in his brain ever since, you'd think the damage is done now and there is not much going back, but hopefully there is.

It would be a good idea to see how many other former players have a similar issue and whether the concussions themselves lead to CTE or whether something like McMahon's issue is equally to blame.

I have always been pro-chiropractic, but this makes me even more of a believer. So many issues stem from your spinal column being out of place, but seeing the amount of spinal fluid around McMahon's brain before and after is unreal.

Reactions: baseball31ne
McMahon has discussed this in some detail on the Dan Patrick show - so I was aware he had gone to some unusually lengths to get relief. And largely got his life back as a result - he has lingering issues for sure - but he seems pretty happy, plays golf......

I agree - studying the link of this type of treatment/spinal fluid flow to CTE would be really interesting.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT