ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leonard

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
Looks like Fickell will be bringing his DC Mike Tressel with him to Wisconsin. Which should mean Jim Leonard is available. JL at DC and Bobby April at LB coach, would be a huge haul for any program. I hope Rhule at least kicks the ires, even though they aren't in his circle of trust.

I would be ok with this, but Rhule seems to have a good idea of who is wanting to bring in already. Of course, maybe that is why he hasn't announced a DC yet? Something must be going on.

You have to give him a call if he fits Rhule’s vision. I don’t think it happens because he’s probably more ready for a Head Coach role, but I’ve been wrong before. He is a phenomenal Big 10 DC. I would love nothing more than to poach Leonhard away from Wisconsin during their most tumultuous time since 1990.

I think Wiscy panicked when Alvarez “stepped down” and if I were a betting man, I just don’t see Fickell lasting there - I smell a mess internally in Madison, and he’s a Buckeye. The second Ryan Day leaves, it’s Fickell’s job. Also, I hate Wisconsin.

Yeah I wonder if he is coaching in the Championship game? If it was going to be the Texas A&M guy you think they would have announced it by now.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You have to give him a call if he fits Rhule’s vision. I don’t think it happens because he’s probably more ready for a Head Coach role, but I’ve been wrong before. He is a phenomenal Big 10 DC. I would love nothing more than to poach Leonhard away from Wisconsin during their most tumultuous time since 1990.

I think Wiscy panicked when Alvarez “stepped down” and if I were a betting man, I just don’t see Fickell lasting there - I smell a mess internally in Madison, and he’s a Buckeye. The second Ryan Day leaves, it’s Fickell’s job. Also, I hate Wisconsin.
Correct even if Fickell is a good coach if the players revolt not a lot you can do. I can also see quite a few Wisconsin players transferring and if they do 1. Nebraska should steal those guys and 2. Their decades old development program will be gone. Meaning Fickell will really have to recruit (Fickell seems to HATE the portal and NIL) and potentially be starting Freshman players and the development program will take years to get back on track.

Some people say the same thing about Rhule if Franklin leaves Penn St...

I could see JL out of coaching for a year while exploring his options. Maybe spend a couple years in the NFL then see what opens up at a G5 school as a head coach.

I wonder if there is any buyout language in Rhule's contract, that makes it very expensive to "poach" him, if that situation ever occurs.

I think the backloaded contract does that for us without a huge buyout. Anyone who wants to take him is going to have to offer a hefty contract. By year 4 he is scheduled to make $8.5 million, year 5 $10 million, year 6 $11.5 million, year 7 $12 and year 8 $12.5. So nobody is going to be able to come in and say, hey we will give you $10 million a year, it’s going to take more than that.

This whole coaching thing in Wisconsin is a dumpster fire. I think they screwed the pooch when they fired their coach halfway through the season. Fickell feels like a panic moved since they lost to Minnesota. I think this is going to set them back awhile, Fickell just doesn't seem to have the Wiscy culture.

Looks like Fickell will be bringing his DC Mike Tressel with him to Wisconsin. Which should mean Jim Leonard is available. JL at DC and Bobby April at LB coach, would be a huge haul for any program. I hope Rhule at least kicks the ires, even though they aren't in his circle of trust.

Would prefer that we not fish in Wisconsin's pond anymore. We need guys with recruiting ties to the South. Is that jim? He is a pretty good coach though and will have no problem finding employment.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Honestly I don't believe Rhule will want to go any where unless things really turn sour in Lincoln. He's not going back to the NFL and he's got all he wants at Nebraska in the B1G.
He's been through a stage where he's upwardly mobile. He's tried the NFL. Now he's at a strong program where he can put down some roots and really build something that lasts. He needs to stay put for 8 to 10 years minimum.

He's been through a stage where he's upwardly mobile. He's tried the NFL. Now he's at a strong program where he can put down some roots and really build something that lasts. He needs to stay put for 8 to 10 years minimum.
I think he is. I believe that if his stories about not wanting to uproot his family every 3 years and stories about his wife are true. He will stay here for a long time as long as he is doing well.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I thought I read somewhere that JL may make jump to Packers

I could be misremembering though

I think it is wise of Fickell to bring in his own DC and not retain Leonard. Leonard cannot be a happy camper at Wisconsin. Seems like they were setting him up to be their next head coach and then at the last minute pulled the rug out from under him. He's probably not head coaching material but will make a great DC somewhere else.

if the on-field success allows for it, I would love nothing more

Adequate given his ability to develop prospects

In the words of Patches O’Houlihan

4ma.gif

I wonder if there is any buyout language in Rhule's contract, that makes it very expensive to "poach" him, if that situation ever occurs.
It's not that expensive a buyout to leave if it happens a few years from now. Although it would be nice to receive some revenue instead of paying it out all the time.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Much like HCMRuhle wanting his own guys I can only imagine Leonard would want "his" defensive staff under him... my guess is that HCMRuhle has had his guy for a while and the position coaches all know him in some way... can't see them tossing in an unknown to the coaching leadership team

***Edit - I can see Leonard going to a place like Northwestern as they're in shambles and there he could bring his team and establish something...

Last edited:
This whole coaching thing in Wisconsin is a dumpster fire. I think they screwed the pooch when they fired their coach halfway through the season. Fickell feels like a panic moved since they lost to Minnesota. I think this is going to set them back awhile, Fickell just doesn't seem to have the Wiscy culture.
Fickell should have met with Leonhard and begged him to stay. Shared how he was the interim at OSU and how well that worked out for him.

Fickell should have met with Leonhard and begged him to stay. Shared how he was the interim at OSU and how well that worked out for him.

Mike Tressel is a very good DC and is Fickell's guy. The only way he would keep JL is if Tressel got the HC job at Cinnci.

Leonard was making 1.5 million as DC for at Wisconsin
both our coordinators under Frost were around 850K
Michigan's DC makes 900K and has a 3 year deal

crazy in 2021 both the OC and DC at Clemson were making over 2 million

Some people say the same thing about Rhule if Franklin leaves Penn St...
If that is the case, that means Nebraska turned a corner, and that would be a good thing for Nebraska. PSU wouldn’t snatch Rhule away if he were underperforming here. And that would leave the NU job in a muucchh better place than Rhule found it.

Fickell spoke with Leonhard for an hour the day before he was introduced as UW’s head coach. He discussed with him that he had been in the same position, and that Urban talked him into staying. Fickell disclosed this on his BTN televised press conference.

Reactions: king_kong_
If that is the case, that means Nebraska turned a corner, and that would be a good thing for Nebraska. PSU wouldn’t snatch Rhule away if he were underperforming here. And that would leave the NU job in a muucchh better place than Rhule found it.
Yep. Penn state wouldn't take him if he fails at Nebraska. Sucks to lose a successful coach, but if we are winning at a high level it will beat the alternative of firing another failure

Reactions: headcard
Fickell spoke with Leonhard for an hour the day before he was introduced as UW’s head coach. He discussed with him that he had been in the same position, and that Urban talked him into staying. Fickell disclosed this on his BTN televised press conference.
good point

Fickell literally was in the exact same position as lil' jimmy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT