ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Long's exit at Arkansas opens up an enticing next step for Bret Bielema

BB sucks.

Any coach who coaches at Wisconsin with Barry there will have some consistency. Just goes to show what quality leadership can accomplish.

BB no longer has that leadership from Barry A.... This is what you get.

He'll no to Buttheads dad.

Yep. Twice as AD, Alvarez has jumped in to coach Wisconsin in bowl games, and the team didn't miss a beat.

If we're going off past performance instead of current performance, there's a guy coaching in a non-P5 conference right now making 500k. Low buyout.

His resume includes:

* A conference title in a P-5 conference
* A Heisman winner
* An appearance in the BCS national title game
* A .750 winning percentage as head coach at a P-5 school
* Beat Texas
* Ties to Nebraska
* Not a prick
* Could probably be had for cheap
Frank? Is that you? :confused: Shouldn't you be getting ready for your next game?

How many coaches flame out at a lesser school in a situation where all the experts thought they were perfectly set up to succeed and then get hired at an even better school and succeed? Nobody. The idea that Bret Bielema somehow has some magic formula for winning in the B1G that he didn't have for winning in the SEC is ridiculous. His relative success at Wisconsin was all about Wisconsin, not about the B1G. That should be obvious by the fact they haven't missed a beat since he left. No chance whatsoever he ends up here because we aren't that stupid.

And the fact that you think winning in the B1G is the same as winning in the SEC literally makes me Laugh Out Loud.

Here are some numbers for you. The SEC is 89-61 all time against the B1G, including 51-29 in bowls. It's simply more difficult to win in the SEC. And of all the SEC teams, Arkansas spends the least amount of any on their assistant coaches.

Do you think Bielema just all of a sudden forgot everything he learned being a head coach at Wisconsin, including anything he learned from Alvarez? There's a lot more overall speed in the SEC vs the B1G, so they have the power of the B1G, with more overall athleticism.

So...the only thing that we've really found out about Bielema is that the power sets that he used successfully in the B1G aren't as effective in the SEC, which makes sense, since there are both power and speed all over the field in the SEC.

At Wisconsin, the size and power of his lines were some of the largest in the league, and they could impose their will on many teams, because there wasn't the disparity in talent in the B1G West that there is in the SEC. This is why we see the difference in his record. Look at it this way...how many of the below teams are "easy outs?"

SEC West
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Contrast those to these West teams. I know, things were a little more difficult for him in the Leaders division, but I think you get the point.

B1G West
Illinois
Purdue
Minnesota
Nebraska (in '11 and' 12)
Iowa
Northwestern

Do you realize in the 4 full seasons Bielema has been in the SEC, the West has averaged 3.5 teams being ranked at the end of the year? That means that of the 6 teams he plays in the West every year, 3.5 of them are ranked EVERY year he has been at Arkansas. How many teams are ranked at the end of the year in the B1G West? Or Legends Division?

He has no more advantages in recruiting at Arkansas than Missouri does, (actually less, with app. 3 mil people in Arkansas; less than the state of Iowa) and we've seen what has happened to Missouri in the SEC. Remember Missouri always giving us a run for our money in the B1G North? Arkansas probably had even less cache than Missouri when Bielema got there, because Arkansas hasn't seen success in quite some time. Sure, Petrino won, but he was only there 2 years. Prior to that, Houston Nutt was average. Arkansas went 4-8 the year before Bielema got there.

At any rate, I think I've illustrated pretty well why his record isn't as good in the SEC as the B1G.

Last edited:
The most grossly overrated conference in the country that was built up by ESPN hype thanks to a multi-billion dollar deal between the two entities.

Also, being in the $EC doesn't have much to do with losing to Toledo & Rutgers, and having 1 point wins over Louisiana Tech and Coastal Carolina. And the team has been getting progressively worse over the last 3 years despite the conference getting worse as well.

Oh my.. So out of touch with reason that I can't help you..

Is he on probation at Louisville? I don't think he'd try to hire his floozy again, so yeah Ill take Petrino over BB.

No retreads, no losing coaches.

Reactions: HuskerDana
If Bielema couldn’t replicate Wisky’s (ahem...Barry’s) success at Arkansas, how in the love of all things good do people think he could do so at Nebraska?! We’ve already emptied our account of tolerance on misfired coaching hires. No more!

Um, because he wouldn't be playing 3 or 4 ranked teams...In just his own division...every year...if he were coach at Nebraska. That's how.

Is he on probation at Louisville? I don't think he'd try to hire his floozy again, so yeah Ill take Petrino over BB.

No retreads, no losing coaches.

As sure as the sun rises each day, Petrino will get in trouble again within a few years.

I’m wondering the same thing about you. Bielema once upon a time beat Pelini’s ass, joining a long line of coaches accomplishing that feat.

He then took his show away from Wisconsin, which did not miss him one bit.

He took his show to Arkansas. A program which had recent success prior to him getting there.

And ran it into the ground.

And got his AD fired.

And is going to get fired.

He has lost big to good teams. He has lost to multiple non SEC shitty teams. He has competed for jack squat.

All of this happened in the last decade. It’s happening right now.

Did you sleep through that? Coma? What?

Gary Anderson did well at Wisconsin. And had to quit his current gig. Paul Chryst did OK at Pitt. And is now doing well at Wisconsin. Bielema did well at Wisconsin and has run his current program into the ditch

That’s a lot more recent than his success at Wisconsin. And is a hell of a lot more relevant. Cause it is who he is right now, not a decade ago.

Again, another post loaded with complete horsecrap.

Wisconsin did/does miss BB, because Gary Anderson got whacked upside the head something like 48-0 in the Championship game. And Paul Chryst still hasn't won a B1G Championship in the two years he has been in the league. Maybe this year.

Bielema won 3 championships in the 7 years he was at Wisconsin, which is a pretty decent clip of winning, equaling Alvarez's 3 championships in 16 years. So...essentially what you're saying is that somehow, without coaching each day, but instead sitting behind a desk more often, Alvarez became a better football coach AFTER he retired vs when he was an active coach. Because that's what the 3 championships in 7 years under Bielema would indicate. Boy, that Alvarez must be something... being able to improve as a football coach AFTER he retired from the game.

Recent success at Arkansas? You mean the 4-8 record the year before BB got there? Petrino had 2 decent seasons at Arkansas. Prior to that, Arkansas was very ordinary under Nutt.

I think I explained pretty well why he has struggled at Arkansas. He has either 3 or 4 teams in his division alone, that finish the season ranked, each and every year. He wouldn't have anything remotely close to that at Nebraska.

Until all of you guys realize that competing at Arkansas is a helluva lot more difficult than competing at Wisconsin, you'll continue to make ridiculous posts like yours above.

Wanted to coach NU in 2011

Still brings Osborne to UCF

Still talks with his teammates, who are all undoubtedly egging him on to take the position at NU.

This is a chance for his staff to make probably 2 times what they are making now. In other words Frosty has to think of more families than his own. I'm sure his assistants have, or might soon have children to take care of.

Its open. Now. If Nebraska gets another good or even serviceable coach, there's no telling when the job will open again. He may not ever get the chance again. -More than a great coach Nebraska could land one of those 10 win coaches that won't leave for a long long....long time.

If he's ever wanted it,...if he thinks he'll ever want it...this is it.

Heck if I was Moos I would just cart Matt Davison down there with me along with his ASSISTANTS money in brief cases and sell it.

I don't care why he failed. What's crazy on this thread is the prospect of that guy over someone like Ken Niumatalolo of Navy. I'm more impressed with what that guy has done than BB in the SEC. Ken doesn't get the exposure to recruits that BB did as little as they may have been in Arkansas.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yep. Twice as AD, Alvarez has jumped in to coach Wisconsin in bowl games, and the team didn't miss a beat.

I guess if you consider going 1-1 in the bowl games you're referring to as not losing a beat, then yes, Alvarez didn't lose a beat.

But that's only part of the story. Since Alvarez gets credit for Bielema's Championships, he also gets credit for those nasty Rose Bowl losses too. Too bad, such a bummer.. It would have been nice if Barry would have game planned more effectively in the Rose Bowl on all of those occasions.

I guess if you consider going 1-1 in the bowl games you're referring to as not losing a beat, then yes, Alvarez didn't lose a beat.

But that's only part of the story. Since Alvarez gets credit for Bielema's Championships, he also gets credit for those nasty Rose Bowl losses too. Too bad, such a bummer.. It would have been nice if Barry would have game planned more effectively in the Rose Bowl on all of those occasions.
Tired of all this Wisconsin hype. They are only where they are right now because the rest of the West is pathetic. If they played in the East they would be fourth or fifth in the divisional pecking order.
I do not aspire for NU to be like Wisky. What have they ever really accomplished? A rare B1G title now and then? Once every 15 years to the Rose Bowl? Beliema benefited from the fact that Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU were all in down cycles during his tenure. And one of his titles only happened because OSU and PSU were under sanctions and he had the good fortune of playing against a Pelini defense in the title game.
If Nebraska had had a really good coach we would have dominated the West.
Alvarez is a good guy. A former Husker. And he made Wisky respectable. But let's not overhype their accomplishments
Scott Frost can't get here fast enough....

Last edited:
It's not hard to find a curb-stomping that a coach takes.

I can find several curb-stompings that BB received while at Wisconsin if that's the standard. And a whole mot more since then.

He's going to be fired around the same time Riley is for the exact same reason. He's not fielding competitive teams.

Bret Bielema winning % at Wisconsin: .739
Bret Bielema winning % post-Wissconsin: .475

Gary Andersen pre-Wisconsin winning %: .520
Gary Andersen winning % at Wisconsin: .793
Gary Andersen post-Wisconsin winning %: .233

Paul Chryst winning % pre-Wisconsin: .500 (note this was not in the SEC West)
Paul Chryst winning % at Wisconsin: .838

In other words, Bielema did about the same or slightly worse than everyone does at Wisconsin.

That program is a model of identity and stability. Things we used to have.

If we are going to shoot low and bring on another average coach, we are going to get many more years of average results.

It's not hard to find a curb-stomping that a coach takes.

I can find several curb-stompings that BB received while at Wisconsin if that's the standard. And a whole mot more since then.

He's going to be fired around the same time Riley is for the exact same reason. He's not fielding competitive teams.

Bret Bielema winning % at Wisconsin: .739

In other words, Bielema did about the same or slightly worse than everyone does at Wisconsin.

If we are going to shoot low and bring on another average coach, we are going to get many more years of average results.
Yes, they have identity and stability, but it is also a bit of a sham. They have rarely broken through and beaten the big boys on a consistent basis. All they are good at is being solid against teams they should beat. And now that they are in the West... that is everyone. If they were in the East, as I said above, they would be fourth or fifth in the power rankings.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Bret Bielema winning % at Wisconsin .739

Those numbers raise an interesting question. I wonder if Riley would have the same success at Wisconsin as the other coaches there have had if he went there. We'll never know, but it would be interesting to find out.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Bielema was 2-5 in Bowl Games at Wisconsin. So Retired Alvarez had a better bowl winning percentage than Bert.

Furthermore, Wisconsin only won the Big Ten in 2012 because undefeated Ohio St was ineligible. The previous two came before Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin joined the league. Let's not pretend that Bielema was beating up on good teams at Wisconsin.

Bielema was 2-5 in Bowl Games at Wisconsin. So Retired Alvarez had a better bowl winning percentage than Bert.

Furthermore, Wisconsin only won the Big Ten in 2012 because undefeated Ohio St was ineligible. The previous two came before Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin joined the league. Let's not pretend that Bielema was beating up on good teams at Wisconsin.

Au contraire...those bowl loses are on Barry just as much as BB. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. If BA is that integral to the wins, he is equally responsible for the losses. You're so full of shit that it's pathetic.

Ah contraire...those bowl loses are on Barry just as much as BB. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. If BA is that integral to the wins, he is equally responsible for the losses. You're so full of shit that it's pathetic.
Barry wasn't on the sideline making the decisions at the bowl game that Brett lost. This thread is EXACTLY why we don't need Bielema. People are already pissed at each other and all they are doing is discussing the guy as a potential hire.

Barry wasn't on the sideline making the decisions at the bowl game that Brett lost.

If he is an important part of their "system" then he is responsible for the losses as much as the wins. I knew it when I was typing my post...that you guys would try this BS of giving BA credit for the wins, but he wouldn't be remotely responsible for the losses. You guys are laughable..

More Arkansas Numbers: (Arkansas in the SEC West the entire time)

Nearly 5 years under Bielema: 29 wins, 32 losses. .475 winning %. In the SEC West. No Barry Alvarez coaching bowl games.

5 year stretch prior to that (mostly under Petrino, one year under Smith): 38 wins, 25 losses. .603 winning %. in the SEC West.

5 year stretch prior to that, Houston Nutt: 36 wins, 26 losses..580 winning %. In the SEC West.

5 year stretch prior to that: Houston Nutt: 39 wins, 26 losses. .629 winning %. In the SEC West.

He's Mike Riley without all the redeeming "nice guy" qualities.

Last edited:
More Arkansas Numbers: (Arkansas in the SEC West the entire time)

Nearly 5 years under Bielema: 29 wins, 32 losses. .475 winning %. In the SEC West. No Barry Alvarez coaching bowl games.

5 year stretch prior to that (mostly under Petrino, one year under Smith): 38 wins, 25 losses. .603 winning %. in the SEC West.

5 year stretch prior to that, Houston Nutt: 36 wins, 26 losses..580 winning %. In the SEC West.

5 year stretch prior to that: Houston Nutt: 39 wins, 26 losses. .629 winning %. In the SEC West.

He's Mike Riley without all the redeeming "nice guy" qualities.

Don't forget to mention that Alabama, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss were all dismal when Nutt was at Arkansas. And Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Auburn were all up and down when Petrino was at Arkansas. I would put Petrino ahead of Bielema in the pecking order, but not Nutt. He had easy street at Arkansas compared to Bielema and Petrino.

Numbers are fun, and easily manipulated. Sorry to have to poke holes in your numbers.

Don't forget to mention that Alabama, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss were all dismal when Nutt was at Arkansas. And Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Auburn were all up and down when Petrino was at Arkansas. I would put Petrino ahead of Bielema in the pecking order, but not Nutt. He had easy street at Arkansas compared to Bielema and Petrino.

Numbers are fun, and easily manipulated. Sorry to have to poke holes in your numbers.

Yep. Numbers are fun. Compared to

“He’s a big old horse who would make our line nasty simply by showing up”

Your “SEC West is great now but sucked then” is my “BB won his B10 titles when the flagship programs in the conference were on probation and couldn’t compete”

Reactions: Sinomatic
Yep. Numbers are fun. Compared to

“He’s a big old horse who would make our line nasty simply by showing up”

Your “SEC West is great now but sucked then” is my “BB won his B10 titles when the flagship programs in the conference were on probation and couldn’t compete”

Exactly. You're catching on. But of course then someone needs to bring up the years where Bielema's defense was Top 20 in pretty much every category...while Alvarez's offense was ranked in the 60s. What do we do in that case, because goodness knows Bielema can't receive any credit whatsoever for his 3 straight B1G titles...even if BA's offense is stinking to high heaven. It has to go to his AD, who apparently wasn't working at all as an AD, because he was of course coaching everything to do with Wisconsin football.

With that much free time to run everything at the football offices, one might think that Wisconsin wasn't really getting their money's worth from their acting AD.

Um, because he wouldn't be playing 3 or 4 ranked teams...In just his own division...every year...if he were coach at Nebraska. That's how.
With all do respect...him playing those better teams and losing to them in the season is different from him comimg here and going 9 wins 10 wins and getting beat by those ranked teams in the big championahips or the bowl game.. he is another Bo... i say no thanks.

If he is an important part of their "system" then he is responsible for the losses as much as the wins. I knew it when I was typing my post...that you guys would try this BS of giving BA credit for the wins, but he wouldn't be remotely responsible for the losses. You guys are laughable..
It's interesting that you deleted the most important part of my response to you. I don't want the conflict and constant turmoil and IMO that's what Bielema would bring. He did that at Wisconsin and he would do it at NU. Some fans hate him now and would continue to hate him unless he won big right away which I think there is little chance of.

With all do respect...him playing those better teams and losing to them in the season is different from him comimg here and going 9 wins 10 wins and getting beat by those ranked teams in the big championahips or the bowl game.. he is another Bo... i say no thanks.

So now a guy that beat Bo 70-31 and 48-17, and lost to him...in Lincoln, by a couple points...right after he fired his OLine coach... is worse than Bo? I'm not buying it. But we all have our opinions.

The reason why he looks good to me is because he would bring physical offenses and defenses back to Lincoln. But if we can get Frost, I would take him and be very happy with the choice.

It's interesting that you deleted the most important part of my response to you. I don't want the conflict and constant turmoil and IMO that's what Bielema would bring. He did that at Wisconsin and he would do it at NU. Some fans hate him now and would continue to hate him unless he won big right away which I think there is little chance of.

Yeah, I would hate the turmoil associated with always competing for B1G Championships. Winking

So now a guy that beat Bo 70-31 and 48-17, and lost to him...in Lincoln, by a couple points...right after he fired his OLine coach... is worse than Bo? I'm not buying it. But we all have our opinions.

The reason why he looks good to me is because he would bring physical offenses and defenses back to Lincoln. But if we can get Frost, I would take him and be very happy with the choice.

Nowhere did i say he is or was worse than Bo..I said he is another Bo... meaning he could win 8 or 9 against crap teams and not beat the good ones and probably get blown out against some of them like he is at arky right now.. in otger words he wouldnt get us back to national championship level..or i dont think even big championship level.. lets agree we need Frost.. i like the way his teams play

Reactions: Hoosker Du
The turmoil has everything to do with a slovenly obnoxious loser running the football program and nothing to do with competing for league titles.

Well, I would take an obnoxious loser that won titles vs the obnoxious loser we had that never sniffed a title. That's for sure..

Meanwhile Chryst is 11-0. Amazing that guy could only win 6 or 7 max at Pitt. Pitt must be in the SEC West.
Chryst was trying to rebuild and totally change systems at Pitt. Kind of like what Riley was trying to do here. Chryst it seems is a good guy and a good coach.

Meanwhile Chryst is 11-0. He will be 12-0 next week after pimp slapping Minnesota.

Could possibly win 13 or 14 games this season.

Amazing that guy could only win 6 or 7 max at Pitt. Pitt must be in the SEC West.

Dumbsters flock together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT