ADVERTISEMENT

JD Spielman

I just saw that. I’m just struggling to understand what mental health issues are cured by playing at TCU vs Nebraska. Doesn’t seem to add up.

My one and only thought would be maybe Frost was working him too hard? Maybe he wants to be more than a football player and not put in as much time? (think Allen Iverson “practice?”)

There was a pic of him looking pretty jacked and it reminded me we mostly got underclassmen who haven’t had as much time to bulk up. Hopefully our guys are ready.

Thanked his brothers and the Nebraska fans, but didn't mention the coaches. That seems pretty telling.

I agree. I think Frost might be a bit of a macho guy, that may not go over well with JD, he kept getting the crap knocked out of him going for balls, we kept loosing, really a quiet guy who may not have had that many friends left on the team. Was depressed and just needed a change.
Look, he is not trashing us or going to a Big 10 team so let's just all agree maybe it is best for everyone around.

Rarely post and never post twice to one thread but will do so in this case. You have a person talking about their mental health and not just now, they did so when from the start. As a rule, people are usually reluctant to talk about mental health issues. Seems like he could have made all kinds of excuses for leaving the team but he faced things head-on. Big props to him for laying himself out this way and not trashing the coaching staff. Would be inclined to let this one go, and give everyone space. Would ask all to consider - are you sure you want all the details out on this one? Maybe everyone involved gets hurt a little, needlessly. But if he keeps getting cracked on by people?? He thanked the fans and the University, classy enough for me. It was just time for him to move on - and probably time for Huskers to move on. Not the end of the world, and in reality probably a “minimal cost” year for this to happen.

Good luck at TCU JD and thanks for all the positive things you did in Lincoln.

Thanked his brothers and the Nebraska fans, but didn't mention the coaches. That seems pretty telling.
Maybe. Maybe he just needs to go to a lower pressure place. Places like Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska aren't for the faint of heart. Whatever works for him. Anxiety can be a truly crippling problem.

Reading between the lines in one of the articles it sounds like NU helped him get immediately eligible at TCU in exchange for leaving the Big 10. That's just my take though. 30 lbs seems like it would have more noticeable on a 5'8" guy but either way, good luck at TCU.

Reactions: timnsun
I agree. I think Frost might be a bit of a macho guy, that may not go over well with JD, he kept getting the crap knocked out of him going for balls, we kept loosing, really a quiet guy who may not have had that many friends left on the team. Was depressed and just needed a change.
Look, he is not trashing us or going to a Big 10 team so let's just all agree maybe it is best for everyone around.
Roughly how I feel about it. I find it infuriating that he gets to quit and go get immediate eligibility at another P5 school after he not only left this program and used his RS but from the sounds of it wasn't in good academic standing.

"At least he's out of the conference" is about the best we can do right now.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Whatever the case may be, I wish him the best, though its sad to see him leave. Hope his struggles were an isolated case and not part of something bigger.

The waiver process is a joke.

I was a big time JD supporter when rumors were health issues keeping him from playing, and I’m also the first to admit there’s always circumstances us fans are simply unaware of...

BUT... this just feels like a senior who had an incredibly productive career up and quit on his team and his brothers right when it was time to lead, only to go play somewhere else for one year because he gets to bend the rules?
He had the chance to lead this turnaround. He was a part of multiple losing seasons, and when it comes time to seek redemption, he gives up.

We have too many quitters. Way too many quitters.
It reflects in our losing record.

OK to weed the guys out, but the team needs to rally behind a “never quit” mentality = perseverance.
I do feel there are signs of a genuine culture shift happening, but only time will tell.

Lots of respect lost for all these young men who don’t understand what commitment and dedication mean. They can put up some stats wherever they land, but without legitimate reasons (define as you wish), their character is exposed... and that character is that of a loser.

Let’s see what happens in the next couple years where there could be a lot of 100% buy in, never quit determination solidifying the roster.
Frost is trying to build this mindset although Im not sure it exists any more. At least not enough to get a whole team of them. JD was the last of the MR weak minded players.
I said way back that the transfer portal was going to be horrible for places like Nebraska. We just aren't able to pull in the local guys that will stay, sit, and wait 1-3 years to play. The guys from out of state seems to think they deserve to play day one. When they don't they bail. I understand this isn't just a Nebraska issues it is college wide. For the big dogs it really doesn't hurt them, they are just able to replace the guys that have the I quit mentality. For us I think it is going to be impossible to build any kind of consistent, quality depth.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Read “The Energy Bus” by Jon Gordon. JD didn’t want to be on the bus. That’s fine.
What I don't get is why push through for 2 full years. Then the last year, with so many things in front of him, he decides now he can't handle it and must leave. It doesn't add up. IMO I think Frost had had enough of his bad attitude and negativity infecting the team,and told him to take a hike. Again I have no proof of this, just trying to put the pieces together of this odd situation.

From JD's perspective: If losing at Nebraska was the reason Spielman left, it's odd that he went to TCU. They had the same record that Nebraska had last year - 5-7.

From Scott's perspective: If Frost really thinks we are better off without Spielman, I question his judgment.
We are better off without any player who doesn't want to be here. Can be the most talented, gifted player in the country. If they don't want to put in 100% for that school they are more of a liability than a contributing member to the team. We won't miss him.

We are better off without any player who doesn't want to be here. Can be the most talented, gifted player in the country. If they don't want to put in 100% for that school they are more of a liability than a contributing member to the team. We won't miss him.
Exactly. You're all N or you're all out.

JD played hard, took some big hits and bounced right up so bashing him as weak/soft/ not tough is silly. He has some issues that he is owning up to, he's gotta do right by JD.
Sometimes you just need a change of scenery when your head isn't right. Good luck to him and I will be happy if he has a great season for the frogs.

JD played hard, took some big hits and bounced right up so bashing him as weak/soft/ not tough is silly. He has some issues that he is owning up to, he's gotta do right by JD.
Sometimes you just need a change of scenery when your head isn't right. Good luck to him and I will be happy if he has a great season for the frogs.
I agree except I think jd should have concentrated on his mental health and quit football all together, depression just doesn’t go away like that

Reactions: dochay
Rarely post and never post twice to one thread but will do so in this case. You have a person talking about their mental health and not just now, they did so when from the start. As a rule, people are usually reluctant to talk about mental health issues. Seems like he could have made all kinds of excuses for leaving the team but he faced things head-on. Big props to him for laying himself out this way and not trashing the coaching staff. Would be inclined to let this one go, and give everyone space. Would ask all to consider - are you sure you want all the details out on this one? Maybe everyone involved gets hurt a little, needlessly. But if he keeps getting cracked on by people?? He thanked the fans and the University, classy enough for me. It was just time for him to move on - and probably time for Huskers to move on. Not the end of the world, and in reality probably a “minimal cost” year for this to happen.

Good luck at TCU JD and thanks for all the positive things you did in Lincoln.

I hope that he is going to get a healthy kind of accountability and encouragement at TCU. I have no idea what happened in Lincoln or what its like at home but he can't be coddled and can't be dismissed if he really is dealing with this kind of depression.

I think there are lots of facts being overlooked here and some are totally out of the loop. Sorry but Spielman does not deserve the anger being shown here.
Agree there are lots of facts being overlooked. I am not really seeing any anger towards the kid. I think he made his decisions and now everyone has to live with it. I do not agree with the sentiment that the staff has to bend over backwards and make exceptions to make JD happy.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Dugan is even more inaccurate than AM.
Not worth posting against those whose minds are made up. I need to follow that rule more often myself. Unless they claim AM had someone else do his workouts... that’ll get a response from me.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT