ADVERTISEMENT

JD spielman

I’m going with the presumptions of health issues, and I hope he gets well and stays well.
I won’t question is loyalty to the team, despite any rumors which lack credibility at this point.

Spielman’s been an excellent player for us. Should’ve been even more productive with competent QB play, as well as missing less game time due to injury.

Not getting my hopes up, but it’d be an absolute game changer to get him back to finish with a bowl game and record shattering career.

I totally agree... but supposedly he’s tired of taking a beating, understandably.

So I guess this means he has no ambitions of turning pro? I for one hope he returns, he can be a difference maker. Let's hope some of if not all of his fellow seniors are getting in his ear advising he is needed and should return. Also, let's hope some of the coaches are doing some of the same especially the HC and the new WR/OC coach.

GO BIG RED!!!

So I guess this means he has no ambitions of turning pro? I for one hope he returns, he can be a difference maker. Let's hope some of if not all of his fellow seniors are getting in his ear advising he is needed and should return. Also, let's hope some of the coaches are doing some of the same especially the HC and the new WR/OC coach.

GO BIG RED!!!

Making an NFL roster is a very slim chance, staying on one for a long time is even harder.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I’m going with the presumptions of health issues, and I hope he gets well and stays well.
I won’t question is loyalty to the team, despite any rumors which lack credibility at this point.

Spielman’s been an excellent player for us. Should’ve been even more productive with competent QB play, as well as missing less game time due to injury.

Not getting my hopes up, but it’d be an absolute game changer to get him back to finish with a bowl game and record shattering career.
If he is really having mentally issues and just needed to get away from football. If this Pandemic didn't clear his head and get him right to play again nothing else will. He has had 2 months of zero football.

I really don’t think he’s going anywhere. If so, he’d already put in for the transfer. Being the fact he’s already redshirted and it’s his senior year...it would be a crap shot. There is no guarantee he will get his waiver approved. If he indeed tried and got denied, he’d set his senior year and would play a single snap. We will all find out soon enough. Like dude said, the longer it goes with out any info, the more likely he comes back or hangs it up.

Last edited:
If he is really having mentally issues and just needed to get away from football. If this Pandemic didn't clear his head and get him right to play again nothing else will. He has had 2 months of zero football.

right and if I remember correctly, he was already home and on leave before the crap started to truly hit the fan. He wasn’t even here during the worst time. Like some guess, we may never see JD Speilman play another snap of football again, ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
right and if I remember correctly, he was already home and on leave before the crap started to truly hit the fan. He wasn’t even here during the worst time. Like some guess, we may never see JD Speilman play another snap of football again, ever.
My thought is it must have been really really bad in his head. With all he has in front of him here and NFL potentially to just walk away with 1 year left. That is hard for me to understand I guess. If it was that bad that he felt he had no other options than to leave, what were the issues? Was it just person demon stuff on his end and had little to nothing to do with Frost or football? Was it other players? Frost? Coaches?

Reactions: scarletred
I am just curious what is everyone’s perception of him if he never plays another down of husker football. Is he a quitter? A productive player on bad teams? An all time great? Do we think he has a bad attitude or did he bring it on game day as he took some nasty hits?

Tough SOB who gave his all while he was in a Husker uniform. Thats all you can ask for. I refuse to have any ill will towards JD regardless of what he does moving forward.

Holla

I am just curious what is everyone’s perception of him if he never plays another down of husker football. Is he a quitter? A productive player on bad teams? An all time great? Do we think he has a bad attitude or did he bring it on game day as he took some nasty hits?

Tough SOB who gave his all while he was in a Husker uniform. Thats all you can ask for. I refuse to have any ill will towards JD regardless of what he does moving forward.

Holla

Holla

I won't bag on the kid because he might just be burnt out. When you continuously go through the grind of being an athlete and not getting much free time he may just want to live his life a little bit. Knowing mutiple ex-Huskers as well as being family with one who also did well in the league, it takes a toll. My family member got to the point where the only reason he played was the check and once he thought he got to the right place he retired. You are constantly beat up and just want it to end. He loved the games, but was done with the grind.

He supposedly left the team without telling the staff and has been back in Lincoln since then without talking to the staff.

He’s not coming back.

Reactions: leodisflowers
He supposedly left the team without telling the staff and has been back in Lincoln since then without talking to the staff.

He’s not coming back.
It seems like a weird situation. I don't know if this is a Troy Walters loyalty deal or what. His options are so limited at the college level. I get the drift that he's just going to hang out and hope to sign a FA deal with an NFL team. In any case, his pops is loaded. JD probably doesn't have to work a day in his life if he doesn't want to but the "working out with Keith Williams story" makes one think he's going to give it a shot at the pro level. I don't see it happening but whatever. Good luck to him.

Reactions: WHCSC
It seems like a weird situation. I don't know if this is a Troy Walters loyalty deal or what. His options are so limited at the college level. I get the drift that he's just going to hang out and hope to sign a FA deal with an NFL team. In any case, his pops is loaded. JD probably doesn't have to work a day in his life if he doesn't want to but the "working out with Keith Williams story" makes one think he's going to give it a shot at the pro level. I don't see it happening but whatever. Good luck to him.
No, he and Walters did not get along.

Can't help but think he mismanaged this thing. I doubt Rick advised him to take this path. Almost feels like he's winging it.

Question is - what does he want and what is the best way to get there?

No, he and Walters did not get along.
With the way he left school, you have to wonder if he would even be academically eligible to play college ball right now. The COVID-19 shutdown of classes might have been a blessing in disguise for him IF he kept up his studies. It's a mystery no doubt. Kids do really dumb things at that age, myself included. Sometimes in quiet moments I'll literally just kind of get the chills thinking about some of the dumb crap I did in high school AND:oops: college.

He’s not coming back.

Yeah I had heard that report recently and knew if he wasn’t talking to staff it’s probably a done deal.

As a coach, if I had a player go awol that long and break off communication, I think I’d just go ahead and make it official and announce he’s off the team.

He’s not coming back.

I’d be extremely shocked if he did come back. Frost is doing the right thing by keeping the door open for him. He’ll be missed on the field but not off the field. From what I heard all his buddies have moved on and he doesn’t really care to make new friendships with the guys Frost has brought on.

Good. Time to move on from this saga. Game of Thrones had fewer plot twists.

Reactions: headcard
Too bad, loved the way he played. Took some monster hits and put up more than a few memorable moments. He was generally a bright spot in an otherwise dark and barren Husker football landscape. Wish him nothing but the best. Now just need to turn up the Rocky 4 soundtrack and get to work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT