ADVERTISEMENT

JD officially gone

Great athlete seems like a great kid. Crappy situation though. He can't just hope martinez plays better if he wants to go pro. Wish him the best.

Okay, so he had academic issues. Were they enough of a problem that he wasn't going to play for NU this year or just enough that he couldn't graduate and pick his school? It sounds like he just flat out quit school and wants to go somewhere else. We have a big rebuilding job this year. With the pandemic wreaking havoc in the sporting world it could be very ugly football everywhere this year though. There will be a lot of out of shape athletes who aren't well versed in the playbook that's for sure.

Sorry he is leaving and don’t wish anything bad on him. Nor do I wish him good luck going forward as many have done in this thread. Why would I wish good luck to someone who has spurned the very team I support with all my being. Thanks for devoting years of your life in trying to regain our footing. And now when we need you most to try and turn the corner this year you desert us. Yeah, no thanks ... impossible to wish you good luck.

Reactions: BleedRed78
According to Sean Callahan...JD has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he’ll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility and he would have to get a waiver for not completing an academic term.
Unless standards are different for talented football players the uncompleted academic work might be more of a toe stubber than getting a waiver to play right away. Universities have some fairly ubiquitous requirements for academic standing for admission. I just don't see him playing anywhere this fall.

I remember watching a video from last years games. His blocking was atrocious. Just going through the motions. He definitely did not buy in last year and it showed. Good luck to him

Explains a lot of the "muffed" punts as well. Almost reminded me of performances during the Riley era from guys that looked like they were purposely playing like shit.

I remember watching a video from last years games. His blocking was atrocious. Just going through the motions. He definitely did not buy in last year and it showed. Good luck to him
Am I the only one who thinks that maybe JD isn't exactly following the advice his dad might be giving him. I can not imagine a parent telling his kid to bail at this stage of the game. I would think you would suck it up for 3 months and then move on. Who knows. Maybe he got his coursework completed online and took enough summer classes to graduate by fall. That would seem like a long shot given his progress for the previous 3 and a half years.

I am not sure how he can transfer, but he has put his name on the portal. I am OK with it, but I’m sure others are freaking out.

Good luck to him. Must have been a pretty big issue (whether it be personal or team related) for him not to return to a team like Nebraska where he could have etched his name in the record books. Would like to have seen him on the field but at the same time it seems like this is best for both parties.

being from south dakota, would love to see him play for the jackrabbits. #1 love are my huskers and very disappointed he didn't return, but, something i accepted quite awhile ago.
Yeah he is going to be a Jackrabbit !

Explains a lot of the "muffed" punts as well. Almost reminded me of performances during the Riley era from guys that looked like they were purposely playing like shit.
No I just think he's a crappy punt returner. He had no business being back there but for our genius ST's coordinator/LB coach last year.

No I just think he's a crappy punt returner. He had no business being back there but for our genius ST's coordinator/LB coach last year.
He did have two career punt return TDs... we’ve had much worse... and considering the coaching we had on special teams, he did better than most would have done.

I don't understand the well wishes. His mindset I cannot understand. I do hope he goes back to Minnesota. He will get his waivers. He plays the Huskers as a Gopher, I hope he gets lit up.

im actually with you on that. All except the Minnesota part. I hope he ends up at Oregon State or somewhere else outside the BIG 10.

Reactions: Huskerpro
Great athlete seems like a great kid. Crappy situation though. He can't just hope martinez plays better if he wants to go pro. Wish him the best.

Meh, not a crappy situation just a crappy mentality. He and Martinez have played together a few years so he knows there is talent there.

This is one many glaring examples of why we need homegrown talent from Nebraska.

He will absolutely get the waiver. I have always thought he would, should he pursuit it.

He’ll get the waiver but will he qualify academically with an incomplete semester? That’s the bigger question in my opinion.
It was my understanding that while away from Lincoln he was taking online courses. I’m not sure he has an incomplete semester like has been reported.

It was my understanding that while away from Lincoln he was taking online courses. I’m not sure he has an incomplete semester like has been reported.
I haven’t heard that but I’m not plugged in anywhere. What have you heard to say that he has? Not saying you’re wrong, just curious.

I haven’t heard that but I’m not plugged in anywhere. What have you heard to say that he has? Not saying you’re wrong, just curious.
Found a part of an article saying he remained enrolled below, it’s from when he left the team for personal reasons. I don’t remember exactly where I saw he was taking online courses though I believe I saw it in a tweet but I can’t find it now.

“According to the university’s registrar’s office, Spielman remains enrolled in classes. Spielman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.”

Found a part of an article saying he remained enrolled below, it’s from when he left the team for personal reasons. I don’t remember exactly where I saw he was taking online courses though I believe I saw it in a tweet but I can’t find it now.

“According to the university’s registrar’s office, Spielman remains enrolled in classes. Spielman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.”
Thanks for this. If true, it’s only a matter of time before we see him committed to Minnesota, in my opinion.

I think the kid should just retire. He doesnt want to deal with the adverse parts of football, has no real chance in the NFL, and will be hit hard over the middle over and over at Minnesota just as much as he was here. He was a tough kid and played his ass off for us nonetheless.

Reactions: arf_man
I think the kid should just retire. He doesnt want to deal with the adverse parts of football, has no real chance in the NFL, and will be hit hard over the middle over and over at Minnesota just as much as he was here. He was a tough kid and played his ass off for us nonetheless.

I don't remember him getting decapitated in 2018. I just remember those passes by AM2 that left him vulnerable in 2019. It seemed like play after play AM2 put the ball where he'd get killed.

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe JD isn't exactly following the advice his dad might be giving him. I can not imagine a parent telling his kid to bail at this stage of the game. I would think you would suck it up for 3 months and then move on. Who knows. Maybe he got his coursework completed online and took enough summer classes to graduate by fall. That would seem like a long shot given his progress for the previous 3 and a half years.
Right the timing of this makes zero sense. Stays with Frost for 2 years but the last year he decides he can't take it and wants to leave. The hoops he will have to jump through waiver wise to even have a chance to play vs just staying at Neb for 6 more months and finishing. Plus the potential to set many Nebraska Wr records.
I posted this question on twitter yesterday. The official word from the university was, "mutually parted ways". This was the same saying used for Dewitt who we all know was asked to leave. It was also used for MO and we know he was kicked off the team initially. Is it possible Frost asked JD to leave? Maybe not for good but through spring and through the summer to clear his head and get his attitude right? That then pissed JD off and he left for good. Apparently Frost and a couple other coaches had tried to reach out to JD the last few months and he never responded.
There have been many rumors about JD not having the best attitude and mentality. You can see on film his lack of motivation for blocking or even being on the field at times. There comes a point imo where having a experienced, talented player is worthless if their mentality sucks Their attitude is a negativity and a cancer to the team. They do more harm than good. Maybe Frost finally said enough is enough, get your head right or get out. This scenario would make much more sense on the timing of all this.

I think anyone paying attention the last few months knew this was coming. His transfer options are slim. The ONLY way I see him being able to is to apply for a mental hardship waiver. With everything going on I doubt he gets denied. This would allow him to not have to sit and play right away. I would bet money this is the route he takes. If he isn't playing in a gopher uniform next fall I will be shocked.

Who cares? The receivers we have will end up better receiver/ blockers which will help our running game. No more toreador whiffs from Mr. Spielman

McQuitty called out Frost in some tweets today after some hero called out McQuitty and Williams for being lazy. Basically said that Walters was the fall boy and that Frost made all the calls from plays to playing time. Basically said Frost already knew who was going to play and didn't really give anyone else a chance.

Probably some truth to it but probably a whole lot of butthurt. But it is out there for the twitterverse to see. So there is that

McQuitty called out Frost in some tweets today after some hero called out McQuitty and Williams for being lazy. Basically said that Walters was the fall boy and that Frost made all the calls from plays to playing time. Basically said Frost already knew who was going to play and didn't really give anyone else a chance.

Probably some truth to it but probably a whole lot of butthurt. But it is out there for the twitterverse to see. So there is that

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I don't understand the well wishes. His mindset I cannot understand. I do hope he goes back to Minnesota. He will get his waivers. He plays the Huskers as a Gopher, I hope he gets lit up.
I don't think he has a release to play for any BIG team as per podcast. Robins speculation was North Dakota State or a team in that level so he would not require a waiver to play. The only waiver would be for incomplete class load. Nate agreed saying that JD has put up the numbers at D 1 level so it won't matter if he wants to continue his football career.

Every guy riding the bench thinks he's better than the guys getting PT. Butthurt indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT