ADVERTISEMENT

JD officially gone

I think anyone paying attention the last few months knew this was coming. His transfer options are slim. The ONLY way I see him being able to is to apply for a mental hardship waiver. With everything going on I doubt he gets denied. This would allow him to not have to sit and play right away. I would bet money this is the route he takes. If he isn't playing in a gopher uniform next fall I will be shocked.

I'm disappointed to see him go, but at this point I assumed it was going to happen with as much time has passed and not hearing any GOOD news on the front.

It stings a little less since we have Wandale to step into his role and I'm pretty confident there won't be a huge drop off based on what we've seen from him so far.

maybe adam theilen will help connect him to the staff at st cloud state or wherever

too bad it worked out this way, he was a good player for us

Can he go FCS and be eligible right away? I know that seems like a terrible idea, but playing at a program like NDSU would keep him on the NFL's late-round pick or free agent radar.

Good to finally have some closure here. I think this is actually a good thing. Frost is setting a very high standard which requires the buy-in of everyone on the team. Many refused to elevate their effort and commitment. Those aren't locker room guys.

I don’t see him trying for another power 5 team. My guess is he picks a team that doesn’t require a waiver. Going with a power 5 team, he then has to apply for a waiver and can’t risk having the waiver denied.

Under what conditions are waivers granted, and does JD qualify?
unfortunately, there isn't a person on earth who can answer this, including the ncaa itself

here's verbiage from the homepage:

Spielman has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he'll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility, since he's already used his redshirt in 2016. You also have to get a waiver from the NCAA if you don't complete an academic term.

NCAA grants waivers every year for kid’s transferring to play close to home. With Covid a factor as well, he would get the waiver to play at Minnesota next season.

Questions: Does Oregon State have a message board? If yes, is it littered with "Pick 'em up!" memes currently?
If he can transfer to another FBS school, it would seem that Minnesota would be a more likely landing spot than Oregon State.

Reactions: danels3
According to Sean Callahan...JD has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he’ll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility and he would have to get a waiver for not completing an academic term.

Reactions: WHCSC
unfortunately, there isn't a person on earth who can answer this, including the ncaa itself

here's verbiage from the homepage:

Spielman has not graduated, and he also had an incomplete academic term for the spring semester of 2020. In order to play, he'll need a waiver to get immediate eligibility, since he's already used his redshirt in 2016. You also have to get a waiver from the NCAA if you don't complete an academic term.

Wow, so he needs 2 waivers? This will get expensive for his family, but he just might have the connections. What are the rules for?

I honestly see him taking a step down to a team like SDSU or NDSU. Those guys have some legit offenses too. Outside that, I’m just going to wait and see what happens.

NCAA grants waivers every year for kid’s transferring to play close to home. With Covid a factor as well, he would get the waiver to play at Minnesota next season.
hmm.. maybe check back with us with literally any proof of this claim.

meantime, here's some light reading on the topic:

https://saturdaytradition.com/illin...ds-eligibilty-waiver-is-absolutely-maddening/

this player decided to leave Georgia after the 2018 season and committed to Illinois, citing his grandparents’ declining health and his family’s inability to travel and watch him play, but saw his waiver denied.

that second story highlights an offensive lineman who transferred home to be with his mother who underwent brain surgery (!), and had his waiver promptly denied by the ncaa.

Not much of a surprise by now that he is gone but I still don't get it. What exactly went wrong for him at Nebraska? Did he make enemies on the team? And why wouldn't his Dad who knows a little bit about a football career have advised him to stick it out for his final year? Obviously he wants to still play football so why didn't he just try to make it in the NFL instead of going into the portal?

Very strange ending to this one but I guess if he was going to be a cancer on the team for some reason, it's all for the best.

Reactions: bshirt73
Obviously hate to see him leave, but it is what it is. I'll be disappointed, but if he doesn't want to be here, it does no good having him here. I'll just have to focus my excitement on players that do want to be here.

Reactions: countrybob
Obviously hate to see him leave, but it is what it is. I'll be disappointed, but if he doesn't want to be here, it does no good having him here. I'll just have to focus my excitement on players that do want to be here.

By the sounds of it, he hasn't wanted to be here since day one. The dude still performed. Its just weird that he made it this long and now with only 6 months left he would decide it isn't worth it anymore.

Reactions: headcard
I honestly see him taking a step down to a team like SDSU or NDSU. Those guys have some legit offenses too. Outside that, I’m just going to wait and see what happens.
Yeah I think the fact that it's a now-or-never situation makes FCS a possibility. It's not like he can transfer to a Power 5 school and then just wait to see if he plays his final year in 2020 or has to sit out a year. It's 2020 or bust, which would make waiting for a waiver pretty harrowing.

Reactions: huskerssalts
hmm.. maybe check back with us with literally any proof of this claim.

meantime, here's some light reading on the topic:

https://saturdaytradition.com/illin...ds-eligibilty-waiver-is-absolutely-maddening/

this player decided to leave Georgia after the 2018 season and committed to Illinois, citing his grandparents’ declining health and his family’s inability to travel and watch him play, but saw his waiver denied.

that second story highlights an offensive lineman who transferred home to be with his mother who underwent brain surgery (!), and had his waiver promptly denied by the ncaa.

I bet heavily if it was reversed, i.e. leaving Illinois to Georgia, and Georgia wanted him, his waiver would be approved! SEC controls the NCAA just like Wall Street Banks control the Fed and Treasury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT