ADVERTISEMENT

JD and Jaevon

Someone in Lincoln needs to start putting a priority into spring football. This is awful. The program isn’t good enough to operate without these practices. They already behind 10 practices because they couldn’t beat Indiana or Purdue.

this staff needs to grow up now. Leave your dam excuses for someone who believes that shit. I don’t. Grown ass Men with egos that they can’t get passed
And you think the coaches aren’t prioritizing spring football? Not sure I understand what you are suggesting...

Why blame the staff? Doesn't the blame go to the players?
I guess so for people who like to bury head in sand. We’ve got a lot of them on this board. Go back 6 months before BC was fired and 1 year before MR was fired. Always blame the players

Waivers happen if you have the means to hire Tom Mars. Most players don't but I would suspect JD's family could.
Per this article, Mars works for the NCAA and is no longer handling waiver cases. Kind of an old article, don't know if info is still current.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...om-mars-hired-by-ncaa-to-work-in-enforcement/

Pursuing a waiver is a huge risk for JD if he care's at all about not losing his last year of eligibility. But maybe he doesn't care. His family is rich, his Dad is an NFL gm, so it's not like he's risking everything.

And you think the coaches aren’t prioritizing spring football? Not sure I understand what you are suggesting...
That the dam staff needs to look in the mirror and make fixes within as leaders and men. They are doing the same shit over and over again and they expect different results but that’s not going to happen

and by make fixes I don’t mean terming staff. I mean realizing that the leadership is obviously broken here and needs correcting

Timnsun you were dead wrong with MIKE. Me and you use to go round for round about it. So when you “stick up” for this staff and act like they have zero flaws and they aren’t to blame for the program losing record I give you zero credit. Nada. You earned that this last time

Yeah... is this a regular occurrence for players these days. So it may be nothing more or nothing less, but it is still odd as ****. Not seeing this as anything other than his excuse as to why he is going to Minnesota next fall. It's, the smoke before the fire... don't get your hopes up, because you might end up butt hurt

if he leaves, trust me I won’t be but hurt. Not even a little. It’s his choice and his life. I just doing see it happening. He’s been with the team up until two weeks ago. None of us know what his personal issue is and what’s going on at home. All I’m doing is assuming alls the same until we hear other wise. It’s all we can do. Until we hear he is indeed transferring, I’m assuming he’s a Husker and will be a Husker this next season and break a number of records held by Stan Morgan Jr. GBR

Reactions: scarletred
Why blame the staff? Doesn't the blame go to the players?
The Main problem with the staff is Scott needs to stop trying to make the dam culture like 1997 Nebraska. This isn’t 1997. That was 23 years ago. These kids weren’t even born yet.

this has to be 2020’s cultured Nebraska

Someone in Lincoln needs to start putting a priority into spring football. This is awful. The program isn’t good enough to operate without these practices. They already behind 10 practices because they couldn’t beat Indiana or Purdue.

this staff needs to grow up now. Leave your dam excuses for someone who believes that shit. I don’t. Grown ass Men with egos that they can’t get passed
To review:
Frost inherited a team recruited for a pro-style offense that went 4-8 and did not compete in most conference games. By all accounts, the team did not approach the nuts and bolts very well (ex. strength and conditioning was somewhat ala carte).
Then departures (via mutual agreement or not), followed by an uneven transition class took a real bit out of roster depth.
Then mix in a little bad luck with injuries and mental frame of mind (ex. Mo Wash checking out when given every opportunity to check in) and here we are.
For a period of over fourty years, NU players went into most games expecting to win. This is no longer the case. And a losing mindset isn't the easiest thing to change. What the program needs is a little luck. And Frost hasn't had that yet.
No one is claiming the staff is above criticism. However, Frost did move a couple of guy onto other pastures that weren't earning their paycheck.
Say what you want about those CFU players. They were 0 for 12 prior to Frost, but had the want. And that might be the most apt criticism of many (not all) of the guys Riley brought to Lincoln. If you lack to fire to win, you might be the guy that when the going gets tough, you go (elsewhere).

To review:
Frost inherited a team recruited for a pro-style offense that went 4-8 and did not compete in most conference games. By all accounts, the team did not approach the nuts and bolts very well (ex. strength and conditioning was somewhat ala carte).
Then departures (via mutual agreement or not), followed by an uneven transition class took a real bit out of roster depth.
Then mix in a little bad luck with injuries and mental frame of mind (ex. Mo Wash checking out when given every opportunity to check in) and here we are.
For a period of over fourty years, NU players went into most games expecting to win. This is no longer the case. And a losing mindset isn't the easiest thing to change. What the program needs is a little luck. And Frost hasn't had that yet.
No one is claiming the staff is above criticism. However, Frost did move a couple of guy onto other pastures that weren't earning their paycheck.
Say what you want about those CFU players. They were 0 for 12 prior to Frost, but had the want. And that might be the most apt criticism of many (not all) of the guys Riley brought to Lincoln. If you lack to fire to win, you might be the guy that when the going gets tough, you go (elsewhere).

and this JD thing has nothing to do with the staff or Scott Frost. JD has a family issue he’s dealing with and that’s it. We can’t blame Frost or any of the staff for JDs decision to take a leave.

OIP.vApJD71q8obAI1d0LwSa6AHaEx

Timnsun you were dead wrong with MIKE. Me and you use to go round for round about it. So when you “stick up” for this staff and act like they have zero flaws and they aren’t to blame for the program losing record I give you zero credit. Nada. You earned that this last time
Agree completely that I was wrong about mike. Admitted as much too many times to count his final season at Nebraska. But where am I saying the coaches are blameless here? You’re making claims about the coaching that are ambiguous which I’m trying to understand. If JD is tired of playing football am I supposed to blame that on the coaches too?

If I did that would you all of a sudden agree with me? Just because JD May be tiring of the grind doesn’t mean it’s the coaches fault, no matter how many times you say it is. Maybe you’re right. Maybe it is their fault. But you have no way of knowing that anymore than I did.

Please show me where I have stuck up for this coaching staff saying they bear no responsibility for the last 2 years. I have said to be patient repeatedly. I have said they were dealt a bad hand. But I haven’t said they bear no responsibility. I think your anger with me over Riley, while well deserved, is extending to what you assume I think about these coaches.

I will stick up for them because they are our last best chance, but I’m not saying they carry no blame. You choose to make it all or nothing. We suck and it’s 100% on the coaches. I disagree. But they do bear responsibility. They are being paid to fix this and we haven’t seen much being fixed yet.

The Main problem with the staff is Scott needs to stop trying to make the dam culture like 1997 Nebraska. This isn’t 1997. That was 23 years ago. These kids weren’t even born yet.

this has to be 2020’s cultured Nebraska

The main issue is we have a culture of losing and that is contagious. When SF references culture, he means that we need to have the juniors and seniors running this team rather than the coaches. Very similar how Wistrom and JP ran the team in '97. I've said it a billion times, we are a year away from even having the numbers to doing that. A fear of mine is that these kids are getting used to losing, specially if we don't go bowling this year, which will be 4 years in a row. Lack of winning can cause star players to say "The f' with this, I'm leaving". We really need to find a way to go bowling this year, with or without JD.

IF I had to put money on it, he'll either be playing at NU or not playing at all. There's no way he can graduate in time to grad transfer and his academic standing won't be such after dropping out of classes this spring that he could enroll at Minnesota. Supposedly he's gone home and won't be attending class the rest of the year. Maybe he can do his coursework online but this IMO this isn't about not wanting to play for NU. This is about not being sure he wants to play at all anymore. Contrary to what some think, he does not have NFL talent and more than likely knows that.
If true, I can't fault him. He knows if his heart is in it or not. There has been talk since Frost came on that JD maybe wasn't 100% happy and talks of transfer. Not sure if that is because of the coaching change or as you said, maybe he just doesn't want to play any more. Many of these guys have been playing since they could walk. Im sure there comes a point mentally where they just break and say enough is enough. Especially if you know deep down you probably can't get to the next level and get paid.
Although I think he did have a good chance to get to the pro, especially if he had a good year this year.

Fleck is everything the media wants Frost to be. Can't believe things have actually gotten worse than Riley's tenure. This team is limping into a murderer's row of a schedule. Could be really ugly next year.
The media wants Frost to be a self-promoting douche bag?

BTW, Fleck was considered a bust his first two years at Minnesota, as the program regressed from where it was before he took over.

Fleck is everything the media wants Frost to be. Can't believe things have actually gotten worse than Riley's tenure. This team is limping into a murderer's row of a schedule. Could be really ugly next year.
Limping? Because of JD? Agree it would be a loss, but let's not burn the house down yet because one talented WR with zero leadership skills MIGHT leave the program. Receiver is the position that best suits itself to young guys contributing immediately. I think we look young but explosive at the position with or without JD.

I agree with this take. I get the feeling that he's mentally drained and is looking to avoid going through the rigoruous War Daddy workouts this spring. Who knows though, it's all guessing at this point.

Agree. Just let him finish his career, if he comes back, great and welcome with open arms.

Reactions: CatColumbia
That the dam staff needs to look in the mirror and make fixes within as leaders and men. They are doing the same shit over and over again and they expect different results but that’s not going to happen

and by make fixes I don’t mean terming staff. I mean realizing that the leadership is obviously broken here and needs correcting
Frost is trying to bring in a culture and mentality that worked almost 25 yrs ago. I can understand his logic, but I also think what Neb did in the 90s isn't a one size fits all. It isn't just a plug and play formula that will work no matter what. It is a different time. Different mentality of kids. I wonder if the mass exodus we have seen the last 2 years is a result of 90s culture not meshing with 2020s mentality.

I guess so for people who like to bury head in sand. We’ve got a lot of them on this board. Go back 6 months before BC was fired and 1 year before MR was fired. Always blame the players
As for burying our heads in the sand, Frost has 2 full classes and a few of a third available for spring ball. I would say he is pretty much playing with his guys this season, but they are a little young. He did take CFU from 0-12 to 12-0 in two seasons. I think it's apparent that CFU had way more talent that the 0 for record indicated, but that team's culture turned around pretty quickly. That's a program with players that want to win.
Having once been a part of an NU sports team, I can tell you that what an athlete does out of the training facility is as important as what they do inside of it. And that happens to be the thing that coaches have the least control over. These kids are getting every opportunity to get better. What they do with their time to achieve this is indeed largely of their own making. If you've played a sport with competent coaching, the winning is largely up to you. Anybody that has done such knows this.
Frost knows what a team that takes no prisoners at any time, be it in practice or on game day, looks like. He was on such a team. And that tradition carried on its own momentum for years, but then took some hits and was finally snuffed out, perhaps about the moment Tommy Armstrong ganked his leg against Minnesota.
Bitch about Frost if you want. He faces a program rebuild in a conference that becomes more competitive each season. It used to be beat the Badgers to win the division. Now the West contains no true doormat programs. There are no weeks off in the conference.
Frost needs to get more kids that won't take no for an answer when it comes to winning games. There a few on the roster. Wan'dale and Mills as examples. Martinez has been slagged on as of late. But he's another guy that wants to win. Frost needs more of these guys.

As for burying our heads in the sand, Frost has 2 full classes and a few of a third available for spring ball. I would say he is pretty much playing with his guys this season, but they are a little young. He did take CFU from 0-12 to 12-0 in two seasons. I think it's apparent that CFU had way more talent that the 0 for record indicated, but that team's culture turned around pretty quickly. That's a program with players that want to win.
Having once been a part of an NU sports team, I can tell you that what an athlete does out of the training facility is as important as what they do inside of it. And that happens to be the thing that coaches have the least control over. These kids are getting every opportunity to get better. What they do with their time to achieve this is indeed largely of their own making. If you've played a sport with competent coaching, the winning is largely up to you. Anybody that has done such knows this.
Frost knows what a team that takes no prisoners at any time, be it in practice or on game day, looks like. He was on such a team. And that tradition carried on its own momentum for years, but then took some hits and was finally snuffed out, perhaps about the moment Tommy Armstrong ganked his leg against Minnesota.
Bitch about Frost if you want. He faces a program rebuild in a conference that becomes more competitive each season. It used to be beat the Badgers to win the division. Now the West contains no true doormat programs. There are no weeks off in the conference.
Frost needs to get more kids that won't take no for an answer when it comes to winning games. There a few on the roster. Wan'dale and Mills as examples. Martinez has been slagged on as of late. But he's another guy that wants to win. Frost needs more of these guys.
In your opinion why is it so hard to get those type of players ? Why was UCF able to get them and flip things so quickly? Luck? Is it possible that MR damaged every single player on his team. Either already recruiting or instilling a weak/ carefree type of mentality? Those players are in turn spreading that type of mentality like a virus to the guys Frost is bringing in? Creating a endless plague of mentally fragile players who are ok with losing?

This off season. Has been the complete opposite of last off season. Zero hype so far. This could be a 2-3 win season. Hate to say it but holy crap this is looking like a disaster.

Shaffer on 93.7 just said that he put his odds of return at 20% or below, so take that how you want to. Heard as well he just doesn't care that much for football any more.

In your opinion why is it so hard to get those type of players ? Why was UCF able to get them and flip things so quickly? Luck? Is it possible that MR damaged every single player on his team. Either already recruiting or instilling a weak/ carefree type of mentality? Those players are in turn spreading that type of mentality like a virus to the guys Frost is bringing in? Creating a endless plague of mentally fragile players who are ok with losing?

Our program was already sliding under Bo. Riley just took the keys and put his foot on the gas pedal causing the program to crash by 2017. Frost inherited a team that was weak physically and mentally. Also didn't inherit much talent or depth. And something we tend to forget or never admit, the Big 10 is a damn good conference now, thatnks to the tv money. Even Indiana has a good coach. That's right, Indiana!!! We are earning every inch of getting back to the top. Year 5 will be our year, mark my words.

This wouldn't be that big of an issue if we had more depth at the position. And that is on Frost at this point. We have had some serious recruiting busts over the past two years at the position and zero player development. I think it is one of the reasons why Frost kicked Walters out the door. Our only hope for a winning season this year is if: A) The new guys are not busts and at least one of them can contribute significant time right away; B) The guys already on the roster are developed better under Lubbick; C) Our tight ends up their game; D) We avoid injuries. If the injury bug hits this position we are screwed. I would also want to know if there are any grad transfers out there looking for a starting position at a desperate school.

Limping? Because of JD? Agree it would be a loss, but let's not burn the house down yet because one talented WR with zero leadership skills MIGHT leave the program. Receiver is the position that best suits itself to young guys contributing immediately. I think we look young but explosive at the position with or without JD.
I think we are headed for an sub .500 record with or without JD. 4 scholarship Wrs is nothing to get excited about.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Sipple just posted an article stating:

“Based on what I hear from sources, it's very possible Spielman has played his last game for Nebraska. Stay tuned.”

'Very possible?' Way to go out on a limb there Sip. I inferred that from his taking a leave of absence. Are you saying it's LIKELY?

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Shaffer on 93.7 just said that he put his odds of return at 20% or below, so take that how you want to. Heard as well he just doesn't care that much for football any more.

He may not always be right but at least you can count on Schafer to say something of substance. Looking at you, Sip.

What's the difference(s) between the two? What was the culture in '97 and why can't it work in 2020?
The culture in 97 was the result of
* players that were playing to match or even exceed the excellent play of their predecessors, a culture that was built over a three decade period. These were not even the most highly sought after players for the most part, but kids that were fully bought into the system before they ever had a minute of practice under their belt. The players managed the culture of the program.
* a coaching staff of very long tenure, coaching schemes and principles built year to year, adding a little and keeping it if it worked. Players grew up in these systems and really didn't play until their third or fourth year in the program, save special teams.
Frost claims he wants to bring something comparable back to Memorial Stadium. But other the the NU label, he started from scratch. Bo's players played hard for him, but he set the players and himself against the fan base.

Who in the hell knows what Riley was trying to accomplish?

And who really knows what JD's deal is. Productivity wise, he is one of the more successful WRs NU has had. But if the fire is no longer in the belly, it's best for him to move onto the next phase of his life. He got a chance to play and excel as a RS freshman. If he no longer has the passion to play, it's time to give another young guy those reps to get ready to play.

Oliver Martin transferred from Michigan to Iowa and was granted a waiver...big time QB? no. It's called a good lawyer that gets involved. JDs dad is the GM for the Vikings. LMAO get serious ppl. Again, not even saying he wants to play for another school, but people act like waivers are hard. They really aren't.

If I'm a parent, I'm telling my kid not to hang with losers. On or off the field. No matter what stage in life they may be in.

I'm much more inclined to believe the problem is with the staff or head coach than it is with JD. (Also wonder why Troy, who was WR coach really left)

I do start to question if Scott can actually even be objective when coaching this program and if that isn't clouding his judgement. Good doctors would never operate on themselves, in order to remain objective, and get a feeling that could be causing problems. Trying too hard or otherwise.

There isn't a whole lot of positives going for Scott sans a couple good recruiting classes.

If I'm a parent, I'm telling my kid not to hang with losers. On or off the field. No matter what stage in life they may be in.

I'm much more inclined to believe the problem is with the staff or head coach than it is with JD. (Also wonder why Troy, who was WR coach really left)

I do start to question if Scott can actually even be objective when coaching this program and if that isn't clouding his judgement. Good doctors would never operate on themselves, in order to remain objective, and get a feeling that could be causing problems. Trying too hard or otherwise.

There isn't a whole lot of positives going for Scott sans a couple good recruiting classes.

Which of the players on the team are losers?

You're not getting the point, blame depends on what you're talking about. I blame any players that don't want to participate in S&C fully or in Spring Practice for their own particular decisions. Coaches get blame for improper schemes, poor overall player development and bad recruiting when those things happen. It's never blame one side for everything no matter what without understanding what specifics we're talking about.

And, of course, the same is true for praise. Depends on what is being praised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT