ADVERTISEMENT

JD and Jaevon

Something smells fishy here. Really fishy.
Maybe. Hard to say really. These upperclassmen have been on an island while Frost steers the ship. Who is the leader of the senior class?
Farniok? And who else...
Who are the leaders of this team, that's up for discussion as well, another topic.
Looked like JD and McQuitty were fairly close, conversed on Twitter quite a bit.
JD is super talented but he marches to his own drum.
It does make spring practice HUGE for the guys that are here. We'll see Lubick's coaching on full display by this fall if he can take this unit and do something like Fisher did with a shorthanded deck of DB's last year.

The key words in the release are "mental health". He cant transfer and be eligible next year without graduating - he not on pace to do that. Option #2 is to request a waiver from the NCAA to deal with his "mental health" issues and do so closer to home. He WILL be a Gopher next fall. Much easier path than being a grad transfer for him.

Still enrolled, so if he was on track to graduate (????), he could hit the grad transfer thing. But he cites burnout. It's not uncommon for athletes to reach a breaking point and JD may have not been one to embrace the grind. But he would be the skunk at the garden party to decamp to the Twin Cities because of burnout, only to join the Gophers in the fall.
Frost doesn't need to see what JD can do. On the other hand, Frost probably doesn't want have one set of rules for a guy and "the rules" for the others.

He WILL be a Gopher next fall. Much easier path than being a grad transfer for him.
Would be a dick move to join the roster of a division foe after citing burnout as the reason for departure from NU. How about, I don't want to play here anymore.

Reactions: HominidHusker
The key words in the release are "mental health". He cant transfer and be eligible next year without graduating - he not on pace to do that. Option #2 is to request a waiver from the NCAA to deal with his "mental health" issues and do so closer to home. He WILL be a Gopher next fall. Much easier path than being a grad transfer for him.

So essentially, he stays enrolled and graduates in May and then in June he announces he's a Gopher? Ugh really hope this doesn't happen.

This kind of feels like the Maurice Washington situation minus the trouble with the law stuff. Looks like Scott is still leaving the door open for him to return but if I was a betting man I'd say...

He gone. If so, it's time for Lubick to earn that check.

Reactions: cvogele29
I agree with this take. I get the feeling that he's mentally drained and is looking to avoid going through the rigoruous War Daddy workouts this spring. Who knows though, it's all guessing at this point.
He has already went through the worst of it. Off season conditioning. Which is what makes this even more weird. If it was a mentally weak/ doesn't want to work thing. Why put yourself through the hell that is off season conditioning. Just quit end of the season or part way through.
My opinion: My most accounts it doesn't sound like he is going to have enough classes to graduate by summer. So that will take Grad transfer out of the equation. Entering the portal doesn't make sense because he would have to sit out a year. This 1 year transfer rule goes up for a vote next month. Could he be waiting on that to pass? Then make his move. He wanted to stay in shape and in good condition hence why he stayed until now. Spring ball is just learning the plays getting everyone in sync. He doesn't have plans to be here come fall, so he doesn't need to go through that, why he chose to leave right before spring ball.

Reactions: CatColumbia
So when is the vote on the one time transfer rule and could that come into play here?

he will not be a dam Gopher next fall. He’s still enrolled at NU. This appears he’s just taking a leave. Nothing more and nothing less. He was with the Husker team up until two weeks ago. He will be back, end of story. He’s one Husker that doesn’t need to participate in spring practices. He will either be back as a Husker or walk away from football all together. Non the less, he won’t be a dam Gopher either way.

Reactions: scarletred
he will not be a dam Gopher next fall. He’s still enrolled at NU. This appears he’s just taking a leave. Nothing more and nothing less. He was with the Husker team up until two weeks ago. He will be back, end of story. He’s one Husker that doesn’t need to participate in spring practices.
While I love your optimism. I will be shocked if he ever plays at Neb. If I had to put money on it, I would be betting on him being on the opposite side of the field when we play MN come next fall.

While I love your optimism. I will be shocked if he ever plays at Neb. If I had to put money on it, I would be betting on him being on the opposite side of the field when we play MN come next fall.

if this was happening, he’d done that awhile ago. Him being with the team this whole time, until two weeks ago shows he decided to come back for his senior year. All this is, is just a personal issue. Like always, we have to many people looking to far into things.

if this was happening, he’d done that awhile ago. Him being with the team this whole time, until two weeks ago shows he decided to come back for his senior year. All this is, is just a personal issue. Like always, we have to many people looking to far into things.
He couldn't. If he enters the portal he has to sit. He can't grad trans because he isn't graduated. As I mentioned a few posts up. I think he stayed until now so he could stay in shape. Now he either waits for the April 1 time transfer rule. Or as others have mentioned he states "mental health" issues and gets a waiver from the Ncaa to play right away, closer to home.
I have zero knowledge on rules, but they said he went back home. Is it possible that he is able to unofficially hang around spring practices with the gophers?

He couldn't. If he enters the portal he has to sit. He can't grad trans because he isn't graduated. As I mentioned a few posts up. I think he stayed until now so he could stay in shape. Now he either waits for the April 1 time transfer rule. Or as others have mentioned he states "mental health" issues and gets a waiver from the Ncaa to play right away, closer to home.

Or two, he’s not leaving at all. myself, I don’t see it happening. We will see. My guess, he will be back before fall camp. He’s one player that could skip spring practices and not miss a beat.

Can we quite making definitive statements one way or the other? So many things in play here.

1. He doesn't return to football at all because of health issues.
2. He doesn't return to NU and stays closer home due to health issues, assuming he is granted a waiver.
3. The NCAA votes on the one time transfer rule before JD has to make a decision to return to NU football, and he transfers elsewhere.
4. He graduates in May and transfers elsewhere to play football. (Many say this is unlikely, but who actually knows?)

The only thing we can rule out is:

5. He transfers somewhere else to play football in 2021 without graduating. Why? He would be exhausting his final year of eligibility to sit on the bench somewhere.

In any scenario it's probably not good news for NU. We either lost our most productive receiver heading into his senior year, or he'll be back but we'll need to wonder if his heart is really in it and possibly whether he is in peak condition (but I assume he'll stay in good shape). Or maybe not. Perhaps he returns with renewed energy and a sense of focus, but that seems unreasonably optimistic.

Please correct any of the above if erroneous. Just trying to sift through the bullshit.

May I suggest a silver lining to this cloud? If JD is gone, there ain't nothing that can be done about it. But if he is taking some personal weeks (I'll assume online classes), the advantage to the situation is that some of the other WRs on the roster get reps with the top line units that they otherwise wouldn't get. For example, Alante Brown can use the extra work and chances are NU is going to need that kid come fall. It also gives JDs body a chance to take few less (practice) blows to the body, and he's had more than his share of those. This could be advantageous for JD, should he decide to come back.

he will not be a dam Gopher next fall. He’s still enrolled at NU. This appears he’s just taking a leave. Nothing more and nothing less. He was with the Husker team up until two weeks ago. He will be back, end of story. He’s one Husker that doesn’t need to participate in spring practices. He will either be back as a Husker or walk away from football all together. Non the less, he won’t be a dam Gopher either way.

+1... I’ve heard he needs a break from football.. we already know what he can do, he doesn’t need to be in spring drills at this point..

Marcus Fleming is a name I don’t see much here, but could be the fastest kid in the entire B1G the second he steps onto campus.

We need JD, but might have viable alternatives. Most notably: a vastly improved rushing attack.

Reactions: bshirt73
So does anyone know if it is a mental health issue or a physical issue? Would seem to be more mental if he's going home to Minnesota but who knows. Just seems strange to make this decision right now right in the middle of a semester before spring practice. Wonder if he wants to play football at all any more.

At any rate, I guess it means an even bigger role for WanDale if he can stay healthy. With more RB talent arriving, WanDale should be able to concentrate more on a receivers role.

Reactions: huskerssalts
This Minnesota stuff is pure conspiracy theory. The guy isn't graduating in time to grad transfer and there is not, currently, another path to transfer.

Idk if he wants to play for Minnesota, but for the 10th time YOU CAN GET A WAIVER. It happens all the time to play right away and not sit out. His dad would have that done easily for him.

Reactions: HuskerO
Idk if he wants to play for Minnesota, but for the 10th time YOU CAN GET A WAIVER. It happens all the time to play right away and not sit out. His dad would have that done easily for him.

And most times it’s because the players had something bad happen to them. I don’t remember ever hearing a thing bad happening to JD. So this would NOT be the case.

sorry but until I hear he’s leaving the team to head to another team, I refuse to think he’s transferring out. All this shows is dude is taking a leave for now.

Yeah... is this a regular occurrence for players these days. So it may be nothing more or nothing less, but it is still odd as ****. Not seeing this as anything other than his excuse as to why he is going to Minnesota next fall. It's, the smoke before the fire... don't get your hopes up, because you might end up butt hurt

Fields case for leaving Georgia was due to fellow student athletes making racist comments to him. He was granted a waiver and played last year.

Luke Ford transferred from Georgia to Illinois because his grandfather was ill and he wanted to be closer to him while his health was declining. His waiver was denied due to his hometown being 30 miles outside of the mileage limit from Champaign.

Do waivers happen? Absolutely. Is it likely to happen unless you are a big-time QB? No.

Can you name me another player who has transferred with no RS year and only one year of eligibility left and be granted a waiver? Fields had already transferred and had a RS year left, if he needed to use it. Pretty sure you have to transfer first and then apply for a waiver.

I too have heard that JD has a ‘problem’.

And according to Sipple’s recent article, sounds unlikely that JD will ever play here again.

This Minnesota stuff is pure conspiracy theory. The guy isn't graduating in time to grad transfer and there is not, currently, another path to transfer.

Multiple posters have referenced JD's academic progress. Is there evidence of this? Do we know how many credits he needs to graduate?

IF I had to put money on it, he'll either be playing at NU or not playing at all. There's no way he can graduate in time to grad transfer and his academic standing won't be such after dropping out of classes this spring that he could enroll at Minnesota. Supposedly he's gone home and won't be attending class the rest of the year. Maybe he can do his coursework online but this IMO this isn't about not wanting to play for NU. This is about not being sure he wants to play at all anymore. Contrary to what some think, he does not have NFL talent and more than likely knows that.

with the proposed "one time transfer rule" does anyone know how the scholarship release will work? Currently, I know teams can prevent guys from transferring within the conference or for a future scheduled team. Not sure if the new rule regarding sitting out a season would change how the "release" works.

Reactions: BigRedBugeaters
IF I had to put money on it, he'll either be playing at NU or not playing at all. There's no way he can graduate in time to grad transfer and his academic standing won't be such after dropping out of classes this spring that he could enroll at Minnesota. Supposedly he's gone home and won't be attending class the rest of the year. Maybe he can do his coursework online but this IMO this isn't about not wanting to play for NU. This is about not being sure he wants to play at all anymore. Contrary to what some think, he does not have NFL talent and more than likely knows that.
I think this is the case. Really nice player, but probably not an NFL player. Could be a case of a kid getting to the end of the road. He's taking a break and will either be back or not. Regardless, other kids need to be ready to play whether JD is back at NU or not. The fact that he was leaned on too much last year was a problem. NU needs several other WRs that can be depended upon to catch balls and go, or Frost's offense gets stuck in the lower gear. JD's absence from Spring Ball facilitates this.
Frost has been working overtime recruiting wide outs. Time for a few of them to pan out.

Reactions: bshirt73
Fields case for leaving Georgia was due to fellow student athletes making racist comments to him. He was granted a waiver and played last year.

Luke Ford transferred from Georgia to Illinois because his grandfather was ill and he wanted to be closer to him while his health was declining. His waiver was denied due to his hometown being 30 miles outside of the mileage limit from Champaign.

Do waivers happen? Absolutely. Is it likely to happen unless you are a big-time QB? No.

Waivers happen if you have the means to hire Tom Mars. Most players don't but I would suspect JD's family could.

Someone in Lincoln needs to start putting a priority into spring football. This is awful. The program isn’t good enough to operate without these practices. They already behind 10 practices because they couldn’t beat Indiana or Purdue.

this staff needs to grow up now. Leave your dam excuses for someone who believes that shit. I don’t. Grown ass Men with egos that they can’t get passed

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Someone in Lincoln needs to start putting a priority into spring football. This is awful. The program isn’t good enough to operate without these practices. They already behind 10 practices because they couldn’t beat Indiana or Purdue.

this staff needs to grow up now. Leave your dam excuses for someone who believes that shit. I don’t. Grown ass Men with egos that they can’t get passed
Why blame the staff? Doesn't the blame go to the players?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT