ADVERTISEMENT

JD and Jaevon

If he was too hurt to play, someone else should have been in there. There was no reason for last year to go down like it did. I saw the problems the prior year, but the damage is already done. I've seen plenty of Nebraska QB's play hurt and win big. Your guy, just isn't that kind of guy, and why you back him, I have no idea. But that's ok, you all want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.. go ahead. I can't stop you, but I can clearly see what is going on down there, because now it seems everyone has some sort of mental health problem, and I wonder where they picked that virus up from?
Then it's your turn to tell SF and AM he was too hurt to play, the 180 of SF wanting a tough qb, here you are saying thats too hard on AM to play him hurt?
So, which is it?
AM isn't my guy, he is the guy, and until a healthy qb comes aling and outplays AM,hurt or not, he'll continue to be the guy.
And you know why? Cause he's tough.

Reactions: headcard
That doesn’t cut a lotta ice for a fifth year player who has already played two years for Frost. It’s not like he’s an 18-year-old freshman.
Look Im not disagreeing with you.
The NCAA are a bunch of morons. Dad has power.
I think its wrong, but if I had to bet Id say he wins if he applies.

The irony of it all is JD really has a chance for a major campaign his SR If he played. Manning and W Rob and him lined up would put him in a lot of single coverages with a QB he has played with 2 years. It’s one of those things as an adult it seems obvious but as a kid, you don’t see the big picture

No, if it obvious to you he saw a hurt and struggling qb like he,we,all did, sometimes just toughing through things, or deciding to run it,look around,make the most of your options,he certainly wasn't going to hide it, just repeat whats already been told to his young qb.

Now, if we didnt see his play become really good in some games, and if he didn't make many nice runs, I could agree with the part AM is soft or something, but why did he look good in some games and not others?
I've always attributed this as playing hurt, which he did.

So, SF is simply saying what we all know, no one needs to talk to him, nor AM,he too has been told.
It's you who have to realize playing hurt from game to game can flucuate a players performance.

So, until you produce proof that AMs operation had no effects on his play, you're just hating, not with valid points, nor sound judgement, you dont even have a basis for an argument, we all saw AM playing hurt last year, if you can prove to us that his injuries had no effect, fire away, we're all ears, until then you're just coming off as a bitter hater.

OK, I am doing my best to not post on this board for a while but I have to ask some questions on this one.

First of all, whatever injury AM had was not disclosed. He had some surgery, that is all we know. Don't know if it was a knee, shoulder, or hangnail.

Second, you say it was obvious to all he was injured. Well, I have been around lots of kids who played with minor injuries and sometimes you can tell, but exactly what did you see from AM that screamed "I am injured"? He ran fine, his throwing motion was fine, he could cut and get up field. None of that had anything to do with his decision making.

You want Nikii to "prove to us that his injuries had no effect" so I ask you to prove exactly what the injury(s) was and how it directly effected AM's game?

By the end of the year, every kid is hurt somewhere, that is a given of a long grueling season in the B1G. But there is a big difference between being hurt and injured to the point where your place is effected and the coach marches you out there every Saturday risking further injury just to get your butt handed to you. I don't think that happened but that is what you are say.

So PROVE what the injury was and how it effected his game, not speculation like is normally done on this board. If you have proof, I will yield.

I can’t speak to any injury as I have zero inside info. What I can say is he was a different player than he was as a freshman.

That doesn’t mean he was injured, but if he was, it would explain a lot in my mind.

Just my thoughts...

I can’t speak to any injury as I have zero inside info. What I can say is he was a different player than he was as a freshman.

That doesn’t mean he was injured, but if he was, it would explain a lot in my mind.

Just my thoughts...

Well, those are my thoughts, too. Was thinking that towards the end of last season. There was an "Ah!" moment at some point last season where we all speculating this.

Reactions: timnsun
WHy should we be scared of competition? Who cares.. Time to move on.
Maybe because we were 5-7 last year and Minnesota finished 10-3? Why strengthen them more?

I get what you’re saying, and part of me agrees, time to move on... but why help a conference foe?

Riley set Nebraska back 8 years and tried to kill the program.
I think Mike Riley might have been the worst coaching hire in school history and I am thrilled to see him gone, but even I’m not willing to give Frost 8 years worth of free lap dances.

if Frost is really worth $5 mil per year, he shouldn’t need the excuse well to be dug so deep that we claim his predecessor tried to kill the program. Good Lord.

Last edited:
Frank killed the program. Was handed the keys to a Ferrari and wiped out in his first corner.
So then by either logic, 8 years or 16 years, how in the actual hell can people expect it to be right back like that in only 2-3? Mathematically that doesn't work

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Just my thoughts...

Different player or different expectations for year two? Different player or different people around him in year two? Was it an injury? He had an injury his freshman year, did that make a difference as that seems to be the model year? See, it all gets too confusing when trying to come up with a reason or excuse to fit the narrative from one year to the next. It very well could have been an injury but what was it? Leg, arm, shoulder, what? When did it happen to all of the sudden derail his play? Was he injured before the season, first game, fifth game, when? We know the ones that kept him out of games but what happened prior to that?

Different player or different expectations for year two? Different player or different people around him in year two? Was it an injury? He had an injury his freshman year, did that make a difference as that seems to be the model year? See, it all gets too confusing when trying to come up with a reason or excuse to fit the narrative from one year to the next. It very well could have been an injury but what was it? Leg, arm, shoulder, what? When did it happen to all of the sudden derail his play? Was he injured before the season, first game, fifth game, when? We know the ones that kept him out of games but what happened prior to that?
Like I said, I don’t have the answers for ya. All I can say is he was a different player from year 1 to year 2. If he lights it up this coming season, with the lack of depth at receiver and RB, maybe that suggests even more that he was playing injured. But what it was? I don’t know. When it happened? I don’t know. Sorry, but my initial post simply said if he was injured that would explain some things.

And I stand by that. It would explain some things.

Like I said, I don’t have the answers for ya. All I can say is he was a different player from year 1 to year 2. If he lights it up this coming season, with the lack of depth at receiver and RB, maybe that suggests even more that he was playing injured. But what it was? I don’t know. When it happened? I don’t know. Sorry, but my initial post simply said if he was injured that would explain some things.

And I stand by that. It would explain some things.

Fully understand your thought process, everyone is looking for "the reason".

I don't think he was a different person from year 1 to year 2 but the people around him made him look different. Since it is a message board, I can submit an outrageous opinion can't I? :)

Fully understand your thought process, everyone is looking for "the reason".

I don't think he was a different person from year 1 to year 2 but the people around him made him look different. Since it is a message board, I can submit an outrageous opinion can't I? :)
Absolutely! And you very well may be right, maybe it was the people around him. This season will shed more light. If he plays poorly, he likely got injured. :)

OK, I am doing my best to not post on this board for a while but I have to ask some questions on this one.

First of all, whatever injury AM had was not disclosed. He had some surgery, that is all we know. Don't know if it was a knee, shoulder, or hangnail.

Second, you say it was obvious to all he was injured. Well, I have been around lots of kids who played with minor injuries and sometimes you can tell, but exactly what did you see from AM that screamed "I am injured"? He ran fine, his throwing motion was fine, he could cut and get up field. None of that had anything to do with his decision making.

You want Nikii to "prove to us that his injuries had no effect" so I ask you to prove exactly what the injury(s) was and how it directly effected AM's game?

By the end of the year, every kid is hurt somewhere, that is a given of a long grueling season in the B1G. But there is a big difference between being hurt and injured to the point where your place is effected and the coach marches you out there every Saturday risking further injury just to get your butt handed to you. I don't think that happened but that is what you are say.

So PROVE what the injury was and how it effected his game, not speculation like is normally done on this board. If you have proof, I will yield.
He seemed slower, but not every time, every game, he threw the ball into the ground, unlike anything we've ever seen prior til then.
He could have had spinal surgery too.

You are downplaying it, I may as well elevate it, and now you need to prove he didn't have spinal surgery.
Yea, this is a logical way at deduction.
Now, keep ignoring everything you've seen,heard,and read about his running, his differences in both throwing and running, claim he had a hangnail, I think you need to post more.

Frost is tight lipped about injuries to his detriment. But I don't think he cares about what we think in terms of the nuts and bolts of managing the program. The AD is in his corner and will remain as such for the foreseeable future.
So we know AM was injured and had surgery. Other than that, we don't know much more.

Frost is tight lipped about injuries to his detriment. But I don't think he cares about what we think in terms of the nuts and bolts of managing the program. The AD is in his corner and will remain as such for the foreseeable future.
So we know AM was injured and had surgery. Other than that, we don't know much more.
I agree with you, but I think Frost and Moos are less secure than most assume. I mean, another sub .500 season and he will have the hottest seat in P5 football. We better be in a bowl game this season or the end is in sight. For both of them.

I agree with everything you said, 100%.

What we do know is the surgery will not going to prevent him from playing in the spring. I have not heard if he has been participating in winter conditioning.

Your point is my point exactly. Some had to use the injury as a reason even though, as you stated, we don't know "much more."

I think Mike Riley might have been the worst coaching hire in school history and I am thrilled to see him gone, but even I’m not willing to give Frost 8 years worth of free lap dances.

if Frost is really worth $5 mil per year, he shouldn’t need the excuse well to be dug so deep that we claim his predecessor tried to kill the program. Good Lord.
Riley came in with a system very different from his predecessor. He recruited well and tried to turn things around. His path appears to mirror that of Frost. Why is Frost and Riley perceived so polar opposite?

I agree with everything you said, 100%.

What we do know is the surgery will not going to prevent him from playing in the spring. I have not heard if he has been participating in winter conditioning.

Your point is my point exactly. Some had to use the injury as a reason even though, as you stated, we don't know "much more."
If it wasn't bad, do you really need surgery? What kind of needed surgery wouldn't effect his play? We back to hangnails again?
What caused his erratic play? What caused Wandales erratic play? Then, he was pulled. He too was injured, tried playing, but his injury caused his play to suffer.

Riley came in with a system very different from his predecessor. He recruited well and tried to turn things around. His path appears to mirror that of Frost. Why is Frost and Riley perceived so polar opposite?
Lack of discipline, ease with which players could get out of workouts, and quite frankly, he’s not a National Champion winning former QB from Nebraska.

Many will attest that I was a huge defender of Riley until his final season, when the team quit more than I’ve ever seen in a husker uniform (except maybe when the writing was on the wall for Callahan). Frost’s players continue to fight hard. That’s a big difference between the two as well.

I think it is a perception of where the program was at when both took over and the popularity of the coach each replaced. Riley took over a program that had won at least 9 games a year, while Frost took over a program with losing seasons 2 of the past 3 seasons. Bo also had a pretty loyal following, that did not want to see him go. While, Riley had very few supporters left when he was sent packing.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
If you eliminate the connections with DONU, Riley was in his early 60s when hired and was 0-14 in leading a college program to at least an 11-win season or a conference championship, Scott Frost was in his early 40s and was 1-2 on both accounts.

Old retread coaches with a history of marginal results almost never have major success and I would have ventured to say never if not for Gene Stallings' success at Bama and even he had a conference title under his belt at TAMU despite his 27-45-1 record.

And I get that Mike Riley was better in his time here than Scott Frost has been. I also understand that Bill Foster's last three years leading the Duke basketball team (Championship Runner-Up, Second Round, Elite 8) were better than what the guy that replaced him produced in his first three years (NIT, losing season, losing season), too. Sometimes you gotta give the young guy with the gifted mind and the understudy pedigree a little time.

Last edited:
I view them differently because Riley was a decidedly mediocre coach on the downside of his career, which made him a very peculiar hire for Nebraska in my mind. Still, I don't think Riley tried to destroy the program and I don't believe Riley's crappy tenure at NU should be Frost's permanent get-out-of-criticism-free card.

Don't really agree with you that Riley recruited well. Landed some highly rated skill-position guys with mixed results, but in the trenches it was pretty bleak.

I view them differently because Riley was a decidedly mediocre coach on the downside of his career, which made him a very peculiar hire for Nebraska in my mind. Still, I don't think Riley tried to destroy the program and I don't believe Riley's crappy tenure at NU should be Frost's permanent get-out-of-criticism-free card.

Don't really agree with you that Riley recruited well. Landed some highly rated skill-position guys with mixed results, but in the trenches it was pretty bleak.
Those were Potemkin Village classes. All sizzle, no steak. And the 2017 class largely bailed. Example: Tyjon Lindsay.
But NU could have used Roberts but he didn’t want to stick around. 84 tackles for OSU.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyjon-lindsey-1.html

Those were Potemkin Village classes. All sizzle, no steak. And the 2017 class largely bailed. Example: Tyjon Lindsay.
But NU could have used Roberts but he didn’t want to stick around. 84 tackles for OSU.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyjon-lindsey-1.html
Coaching turnover gets us even in starting four stars with wiscy. And, those four stars who left? You then have to go to our plan B guys or worse.
All the attrition of those coaching changes adds up, and like I've said, last year of old coach, dead man walking, bad recruiting class, first year coach, no time for vetting that first class, that leads to high misses, bad fits, and corrupt kids.

These arent excuses, this is normal, but, what isn't normal is for a team to go through three coaching staffs in four years, and thats hurt us.
Look into it,we need patience.

The biggest question right now we don't know is will this be a competition? Martinez had off-season surgery on his left non-throwing shoulder, and that's probably going to limit him this spring.

The injury itself happened during the Purdue game when Martinez dove out towards the pylon and scored a late-game touchdown.

If Martinez is limited as we might think, what really are we going to find out about the QB position or battle itself?

If anything, it's going to give Vedral, McCaffrey and Smothers more potential reps to prove themselves.
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-spring-preview-what-will-we-learn-this-spring-at-qb-

Now where's your proof?

If its his nonthrowing shoulder, not sure how that will limit him in the spring. There is no threat he will get hit. I suspect that was a lot of his issue. Pain and fear leading to quick/bad decisions. Couple that with a underpreforming line at times, you have last years offense in a nutshell.

If its his nonthrowing shoulder, not sure how that will limit him in the spring. There is no threat he will get hit. I suspect that was a lot of his issue. Pain and fear leading to quick/bad decisions. Couple that with a underpreforming line at times, you have last years offense in a nutshell.
Ever try doing things with one good arm, the other with high pain potential? He likely tightened up at times, my guess

The biggest question right now we don't know is will this be a competition? Martinez had off-season surgery on his left non-throwing shoulder, and that's probably going to limit him this spring.

The injury itself happened during the Purdue game when Martinez dove out towards the pylon and scored a late-game touchdown.

If Martinez is limited as we might think, what really are we going to find out about the QB position or battle itself?

If anything, it's going to give Vedral, McCaffrey and Smothers more potential reps to prove themselves.
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-spring-preview-what-will-we-learn-this-spring-at-qb-

Now where's your proof?

First, thank you for copying and pasting and linking the article. Now we know what the injury was and to what part of his body without guessing. The problem is it came in the 9th game of the season so if this is "the" injury then how do you explain the 8 games before?

Not sure what proof you want from me. I wasn't making bold statements about AM and when it is my opinion I state it as such. Thanks for the link though.

First, thank you for copying and pasting and linking the article. Now we know what the injury was and to what part of his body without guessing. The problem is it came in the 9th game of the season so if this is "the" injury then how do you explain the 8 games before?
No, now you prove this was his only injury. And, if it was purdue where it finally became hurt to the point where he couldn't perform? Well, he still did, even after purdue.
And his knee was still braced.

Throwing passes in the ground, theres something going on, more than the yips or whatever changed him from top five heisman, freshman all american.
Then of course, his backup played wr, and his wr played rb, and the O line finally played somewhat solid last three games.

So, let me ask, why do you think he threw passes in the ground, or, why was he no longer able to drop passes in, when he did before? Those passes were accurate, but flat, like his arm had limited touch.

Oh, I guess we can now eliminate the hangnail thing

Last edited:
Coach frost has to feel snake bit, he just can’t catch a break, his first year your second string quarterback just all of a sudden decided to transfer, then your starting quarterback gets hurt in the first game that should have been the second one but the first one was canceled because of the weather. Year two your starting kicker mystery gets hurt before the season then then your star running back decides to go awol in games then is suspended. The only consolation is so far all this is happening before spring practice. So now they can hopefully find a replacement kicker and if speculation is correct they can use different players to take jds place. It’s time the young players step up they have a opportunity for playing time
He also has to feel lucky, so far he is making over 1million per win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT