ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylin Bradley to the Transfer Portal

Not really. You have Mills & Rahmir that look just fine. Thompkins yes, you can follow that logic, but the kid is special when healthy. RB we will be fine.

No, not really, there isn't proven /dependable talent. It MAY be there but we see this with any positions where people are listed with the usual qualifiers. The only qualifier for Mills is he stay healthy as a proven talent and contributed.

The same was said last year about the O line after we lost a couple seniors and then the usual list of who would adequately fill in with unknown abilities. How did that turn out?

There is plenty of sorting out and proving that has to take place. Shoot, I remember when Bradley was being penciled in to play, how did that work out? Say what you want, it is all on paper with very little proven on the field.

Reactions: TheBeav815
No, not really, there isn't proven /dependable talent. It MAY be there but we see this with any positions where people are listed with the usual qualifiers. The only qualifier for Mills is he stay healthy as a proven talent and contributed.

The same was said last year about the O line after we lost a couple seniors and then the usual list of who would adequately fill in with unknown abilities. How did that turn out?

There is plenty of sorting out and proving that has to take place. Shoot, I remember when Bradley was being penciled in to play, how did that work out? Say what you want, it is all on paper with very little proven on the field.

I guess we will see next year won't we. I'll continue to be positive.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
These are young guys. You cannot compare O linemen to rbs when talking ready to play young athletes.
Last year, we had no depth on the O line, other than Gaylord who got injured, we had to start a converted slightly underweight TE converted center that was a rs frosh,whose only experience at all was fall camp basically. The other, a young soph walkon.

I guess Wandale as a true frosh played the same as a true frosh O lineman did, which we didnt even have that young?
Or, even Johnson?

TO didn't like playing freshmen, true freshman,at O line. There's a reason for that, but he did at qb, at rb several times, so did Bo, and a myriad of coaches.
Apples and Oranges

I guess we will see next year won't we. I'll continue to be positive.

You made my point, that we will have to wait and see. Just listing them because of starts or whatever proves nothing as we have seen in the past. Call it what you want, positive or whatever, it comes down to the players being ready, not the fans general state of mind.

It is always, hey we have this guy who was a 4 star and then we have this guy and as fans we plug in the names hoping it all works out and then we are left to wonder what happened when it doesn't. Names were flying around for the WR's this last year as well - how did that turn out? Somewhere along the way, kids are not getting ready to make a difference and get on the field but it is easy to pencil in their name and make a blanket statement, we have the talent there. Maybe, maybe now.

You made my point, that we will have to wait and see. Just listing them because of starts or whatever proves nothing as we have seen in the past. Call it what you want, positive or whatever, it comes down to the players being ready, not the fans general state of mind.

It is always, hey we have this guy who was a 4 star and then we have this guy and as fans we plug in the names hoping it all works out and then we are left to wonder what happened when it doesn't. Names were flying around for the WR's this last year as well - how did that turn out? Somewhere along the way, kids are not getting ready to make a difference and get on the field but it is easy to pencil in their name and make a blanket statement, we have the talent there. Maybe, maybe now.
Kids are getting ready, Mo,Ziggy and Mills.
One from someone else,two from this staff. We found ways for Mo to work, Ziggy played like he'd never played before, Mills turned it on around the fourth game of the season, around the time the O line showed first improvement.
We stuck Wandale in there, he looked good. Johnson looked good for as little as he played.
Scott should come in ready, like Adrian Killins or Otis Anderson.
Track record is good, don't see it as bad at all.

I honestly think having MR and staff fail so miserably in his pass first offense, Newby never putting a shoulder in there,Bo's never getting a AA compliment has given some of us this cautious viewpoint.

Lol

1982 we had
rozier ,CRAIG, smith.
Been there before
Yep, it was the worse under MR and Bo.
Not so bad now. It's finally at the point where it comes down to the O line.
After AA left,we had no one, then the line crapped out, then,as it got better,Ziggy did too, same for Mills last year.
I think under the lines MR put out, it wouldn't have mattered much who was back there, at least now you can see it matters. And we've got a few.

Kids are getting ready, Mo,Ziggy and Mills.
One from someone else,two from this staff. We found ways for Mo to work, Ziggy played like he'd never played before, Mills turned it on around the fourth game of the season, around the time the O line showed first improvement.
We stuck Wandale in there, he looked good. Johnson looked good for as little as he played.
Scott should come in ready, like Adrian Killins or Otis Anderson.
Track record is good, don't see it as bad at all.

I honestly think having MR and staff fail so miserably in his pass first offense, Newby never putting a shoulder in there,Bo's never getting a AA compliment has given some of us this cautious viewpoint.
I think MR's run offense failed so miserably that last season because their style of offense was too predictable, bland, and outdated.

Examples:
-In the Shotgun with a statue QB (Tanner Lee), it was either a pass or the RB had to carry the ball.
-In the shotgun, when the RB was lined up a foot in front of the QB then the defense knew it had to be a pass play.
-Most run plays were out of the bunch formation and was right up the middle.
-There were no toss/sweep, outside run plays and also no screens.
-No deception. Defense friendly gameplans. We didn't do zone read, option, triple option, QB Power, ect.
-We had an average OLine

Riley's staff had the same issues their first season when they tried to make Tommy Armstrong a pocket passer. The only season Riley's offense looked good was year 2 when they let Tommy be a dual threat. That year all the RBs (Ozigbo, Newby, Cross, Janovich) looked alright.

I think MR's run offense failed so miserably that last season because their style of offense was too predictable, bland, and outdated.

Examples:
-In the Shotgun with a statue QB (Tanner Lee), it was either a pass or the RB had to carry the ball.
-In the shotgun, when the RB was lined up a foot in front of the QB then the defense knew it had to be a pass play.
-Most run plays were out of the bunch formation and was right up the middle.
-There were no toss/sweep, outside run plays and also no screens.
-No deception. Defense friendly gameplans. We didn't do zone read, option, triple option, QB Power, ect.
-We had an average OLine

Riley's staff had the same issues their first season when they tried to make Tommy Armstrong a pocket passer. The only season Riley's offense looked good was year 2 when they let Tommy be a dual threat. That year all the RBs (Ozigbo, Newby, Cross, Janovich) looked alright.
That's something I think we miss about this offense now. The system helps make a rb look good, like MR did under him looked bad. Like they said, you need superior athletes to run his system, not so under SF and his system.
You need speed, you need good play,not great play. You dont need pancake blocks, but you need to get off the line and pick up guys in space. Your rbs have to be fast and jump cut into a hole.
Mills progression went from just hitting it up inside to having to be patient,then hit the hole. It took him a few games to change something he's done his whole life, but Held and Mills made it happen.
It was the opposite of both Newby and Mo inside, they kept looking for a hole,and not a seam and put your head down.

I think Scott is that guy, I think Johnson and Morrison is more like Killins, faster backs that don't truck the defense, but hit the seams and holes with a hurt the D type speed.
Where Mills and likely Scott will get you 5-7 yards from contact, Johnson and Morrison will likely get you 3-5, but the big plays will be much higher with the latter.

I thought Bradley was quick enough but to play at NU under Frost takes a different mindset in practice and workouts IMO than maybe he possessed. I thought he looked good when he played as a freshman. JMHO.

Always looked slow going through the hole to me, with much less than ideal lateral agility.

Always looked slow going through the hole to me, with much less than ideal lateral agility.
Well he certainly wasn't Ameer hitting a hole but I thought he ran tough. The lateral agility thing is a good point. I guess I didn't get a gauge on that. If you want to really judge that the best place is to do it when they're down close to an endzone. I saw Corey Ross do a jump cut one time that I could NOT believe. He seemed to hop at least 5 feet to his right without losing speed. He made a linebacker really look bad.

Reactions: bigredhunter
It was visible on the field that Jaylin didn’t have the physical tools to compete with what we have. I think he could do well at South Dakota State.

Well he certainly wasn't Ameer hitting a hole but I thought he ran tough. The lateral agility thing is a good point. I guess I didn't get a gauge on that. If you want to really judge that the best place is to do it when they're down close to an endzone. I saw Corey Ross do a jump cut one time that I could NOT believe. He seemed to hop at least 5 feet to his right without losing speed. He made a linebacker really look bad.
Pork Chop had 1364 and 1274 yds from scrimmage his Jr. and Sr. year. Callahan was lucky he was on the existing roster when he took the job. The kid was a real fire plug at 5-6/195. Here's hoping the Scott III is a better version of Cory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT