ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrett Synek, QB from Hastings walking on.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Has anybody seen him play? Looks like a nice walk on pick up. Was an All State player from Journal Star? Dual threat kid.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Well I love and admire walk ons for sure BUT honestly how many people think a walk on QB is going to ever play a down for Frost. Even our scholarship QB didn't play a down this year although he could have done so without losing any eligibility. I hope this walk on has the ability to switch to another position.

Reactions: BigD51
Well I love and admire walk ons for sure BUT honestly how many people think a walk on QB is going to ever play a down for Frost. Even our scholarship QB didn't play a down this year although he could have done so without losing any eligibility. I hope this walk on has the ability to switch to another position.

HCSF will never give a walk-on a chance. It will never happen no matter how good they are, how well they practice, etc. If it’s not “his guy” it won’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyLvr and BigD51

Just have him switch to WR. Walk ons all start over the scholarship guys at that position.

Whether he's in the mix at QB or just a scout-teamer, hope he has a good career at NU.

Plus, look at the bright side: Huskers moving up in the world, finally landing a QB from a Class B school.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
We need kids like this in the program even if he never plays a down because the hope is their passion for the program and for the state bleed into the kids that have no loyalty to either. If a scholarship kid works just a little harder because he sees the kid next to him that would die for the program...THAT is the goal of bringing kids like this in.

We need kids like this in the program even if he never plays a down because the hope is their passion for the program and for the state bleed into the kids that have no loyalty to either. If a scholarship kid works just a little harder because he sees the kid next to him that would die for the program...THAT is the goal of bringing kids like this in.
This kid appears to maybe be as talented as Joe Ganz was coming out of high school. He's got a chance. QB recruiting is a crap shoot. I listened to talking heads on the radio yesterday making the same point about drafting QBs for the NFL. You rarely know for sure what you're getting until you see them perform at that level. The nice thing walk on QBs give you is a safety net in case your scholarship guys don't pan out or get injured.

I like very much having 3-4 walk on QBs in the program. I remember very well not being able to effectively run practices at Nebraska because we didn't have enough healthy QBs a few years ago. One of these days, one of these kids is going to either have to play OR they're going to beat out the scholarship guys.

This kid appears to maybe be as talented as Joe Ganz was coming out of high school. He's got a chance. QB recruiting is a crap shoot. I listened to talking heads on the radio yesterday making the same point about drafting QBs for the NFL. You rarely know for sure what you're getting until you see them perform at that level. The nice thing walk on QBs give you is a safety net in case your scholarship guys don't pan out or get injured.

I like very much having 3-4 walk on QBs in the program. I remember very well not being able to effectively run practices at Nebraska because we didn't have enough healthy QBs a few years ago. One of these days, one of these kids is going to either have to play OR they're going to beat out the scholarship guys.
I would agree. Right now, Matt Masker is a very valuable person in the NU program. He has familiarity with the NU offense, and provides a workable solution with a decent arm should QB injuries or transfers or whatever happens to NU in 2021. In this transfer ridden college football scene of 2021, thank the Lord for guys like Matt Masker - really, worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he starts someday.

He has to be given a chance and that is where the problem lies. The chance won’t be given. I hope Frost proves me wrong. It’s just the mindset around walk-on QBs, unfortunately.

He has to be given a chance and that is where the problem lies. The chance won’t be given. I hope Frost proves me wrong. It’s just the mindset around walk-on QBs, unfortunately.
And really, the transfer portal will make coaches that much more favoring of scholarship QBs IF what you say is true. The short term fuse of a QB recruit's patience of seeing the field forces coaching staff's to play them if they can. We are seeing a symptom of that right now with the uncertainty of Luke McCaffrey's status. The transfer portal and human nature being what it is, managing QB depth is a major challenge for college football coaches right now. If NU can build up a stable of capable, loyal QBs - walkon or scholarship - they will be in a far better situation than schools that dont have that same depth and commitment of their QBs. It is a sign of the times we are in.

Reactions: 3 n out1
If the best players don’t see the field, scholarship or not then there is no hope for the program. Nebraska does not have enough talent to let good to great players ride the pine .

I understand your point and I too have concerns that this kid along with others are given a chance . It was always my belief the Osborne’s walk-in program treated everyone the same . Even went to school with kids that played at Nebraska that told me so.

And by the way , Ive never mentioned it before but I went to high school with Scott.

Reactions: 3 n out1
If the best players don’t see the field, scholarship or not then there is no hope for the program. Nebraska does not have enough talent to let good to great players ride the pine .

I understand your point and I too have concerns that this kid along with others are given a chance . It was always my belief the Osborne’s walk-in program treated everyone the same . Even went to school with kids that played at Nebraska that told me so.

And by the way , Ive never mentioned it before but I went to high school with Scott.

As I said, I hope I’m wrong. I just have my doubts when I see him send a scholarship QB out there with the lack of arm talent we’ve seen recently.

As I said, I hope I’m wrong. I just have my doubts when I see him send a scholarship QB out there with the lack of arm talent we’ve seen recently.
Adrian had very good arm talent when he came to Lincoln. He's had some shoulder injuries and I don't know if his throwing arm has been 100% since his freshman year. Luke? Not sure if it's a lack of arm talent or something else. We don't see enough practice to have any idea and he really hasn't played that much. Nebraska hasn't exactly been QB U so we haven't gotten much top arm talent since Tom went to the option. Just for grins, I would like to see Masker operate the offense for a series some time.

Who are the walk on QBs that Frost hasn't given a chance to that you think could have helped us win games?

Could not agree more. Frost two possibilities come to mind
May be concerned about playing kids too early and if they perform poorly damaging the syc of the kid for ever or
Playing someone else and they do well , then in a sense showing Frost up for selecting AM or Luke instead of player x

One things for sure, it’s time to start winning again .

Oh and No more contract extensions for coaches until they prove themselves .

Could not agree more. Frost two possibilities come to mind
May be concerned about playing kids too early and if they perform poorly damaging the syc of the kid for ever or
Playing someone else and they do well , then in a sense showing Frost up for selecting AM or Luke instead of player x

One things for sure, it’s time to start winning again .

Oh and No more contract extensions for coaches until they prove themselves .
Again, who is player X that should have been playing?

Who are the walk on QBs that Frost hasn't given a chance to that you think could have helped us win games?
all of them?

I think Frost & co throw some noodles against the wall to see what sticks. nothing like Chins & co, though.

same limp noodle trotting out there for 2 years, same disappointing, non-sticky result.

all of them?

I think Frost & co throw some noodles against the wall to see what sticks. nothing like Chins & co, though.

same limp noodle trotting out there for 2 years, same disappointing, non-sticky result.
False. Vedral played and he sucked. McCaffrey played and he sucked. Fault Frost all you want for recruiting the wrong guys or developing them poorly or whatever. I think he watches AM play like $hit and then looks at his bench and says, "those guys are worse." If the answer is "I'd like to see Masker get an opportunity" then you're throwing something against the wall and it ain't noodles. AM has sucked and probably will never get us over .500 but everyone else they've played in the last three seasons has been worse. Hopefully Smothers or Haarberg is the guy. If Frost is canned by this time 2022 then failure to find a winner at QB will be why.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
False. Vedral played and he sucked. McCaffrey played and he sucked. Fault Frost all you want for recruiting the wrong guys or developing them poorly or whatever. I think he watches AM play like $hit and then looks at his bench and says, "those guys are worse." If the answer is "I'd like to see Masker get an opportunity" then you're throwing something against the wall and it ain't noodles. AM has sucked and probably will never get us over .500 but everyone else they've played in the last three seasons has been worse. Hopefully Smothers or Haarberg is the guy. If Frost is canned by this time 2022 then failure to find a winner at QB will be why.

Ultimately, you’re always throwing something against a wall. There are no sure things. More hype, but no guarantees.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT