ADVERTISEMENT

Jan. 2020 Current Roster

dand84

Blackshirt
Oct 28, 2017
The current roster is updated and you can find it here. The updated scholarship chart has also been updated and there is already a thread on it.

EDIT: Added totals and also Riley vs. Frost numbers for scholarships.
EDIT 2:Removed Jefferson and Raridon and some walk-ons.

Here is a simplified view of the chart to help you see gaps in the roster. There are 2 caveats. Pickering took a redshirt and is listed as a So on the 2020 roster. The linked distro chart has him as a Jr. Gaylord is not listed on the 2020 roster but is shown on the chart consuming a 2020 scholarship. He is awaiting word on his medical redshirt.

I show 2 numbers after each position group. It is number of scholarships and ideal number of scholarships assuming a 42/42/1 split between off, def, and ST. There are also positions that are hybrids like Duck-R and Nickle/OLB so it might skew the numbers a little. Also note that there are some players showing in different positions than their listed depth chart (i.e., JoJo, Butler, etc).

As you can see, we are sitting at 43/42/1. 3 players over (including Gaylord).

We've taken 24/25 2020 recruits including 18 true freshman. For Juniors, there are 10 Frost and 10 Riley recruits. For Seniors, there are 4 Frost and 13 Riley recruits.

Code:
            Fr     RFr     So     Jr     Sr
QB (4/4)    1       1              2
RB (6/6)    2       2              1      1
WR (11/11)  4       3       1      2      1
TE (5/3)            1              3      1
OL (18/18)  2       6       2      3      4
DL (13/12)  2       2       2      6      1
OLB(9/7.5)  2       1       3      1      1
ILB(7/7.5)  1       3              1      2
CB (8/7.5)  3       1       2      1      1
S  (6/7.5)  1       2                     3
ST (1/1)                    1
TOTAL       18     22      11     20     15

We also have 74 Walk Ons. For this, I mean people NOT on scholarship. So it includes Transfers, Jucos, Walk-Ons, Blue Shirts, etc that don't have scholarships (Kade Warner, Issac Gifford, Zach Schlager, Nouli, etc). There are 5 walk ons that are not listed on the current depth chart. They could end up on the roster depending on portal activity.

• Isaiah Harris - Freshman walk-on, unknown
  • Matthias Algarin - Freshman walk-on, unknown
  • Bunch - portal
  • Bryant - portal
  • Paup - portal

Last edited:
I see JD is still listed. Can we assume that if he hasn't entered the portal at this point that he probably isn't going to? Or is there a limit as far as when a player can enter and still play that same year.

I see JD is still listed. Can we assume that if he hasn't entered the portal at this point that he probably isn't going to? Or is there a limit as far as when a player can enter and still play that same year.
I heard JD only leaves if Luke McCaffrey leaves with him to bolster a teams wr room,but only as a package.

I heard JD only leaves if Luke McCaffrey leaves with him to bolster a teams wr room,but only as a package.
If true do you think JD is one of those guys still causing waves? I have heard there were some players who felt/ feel McCaffrey should have been starting QB last year. To me what you claim would indicate that JD was one who felt that way. Could also be why we heard the rumors of him leaving flare up at season end. Might have been expressing frustration with Martinez still being QB.
I don't see Luke leaving, if he does it could possibly be this fall if he doesn't win the starting QB job. However JD only leaving if McCafreey also leaves, doesn't make a ton of sense, considering McCaffrey would have to sit a year and JD would only have 1 yr. So the 2 would never play together anyways.

If true do you think JD is one of those guys still causing waves? I have heard there were some players who felt/ feel McCaffrey should have been starting QB last year. To me what you claim would indicate that JD was one who felt that way. Could also be why we heard the rumors of him leaving flare up at season end. Might have been expressing frustration with Martinez still being QB.
I don't see Luke leaving, if he does it could possibly be this fall if he doesn't win the starting QB job. However JD only leaving if McCafreey also leaves, doesn't make a ton of sense, considering McCaffrey would have to sit a year and JD would only have 1 yr. So the 2 would never play together anyways.
Does anybody see a role for McCaffrey even if Martinez or Vedral wins the starting QB job?
I mean, whom would you rather see inside the 10-yard line running a read option? (I know, freshman Adrian was better than sophomore Adrian at that, so maybe freshman Adrian comes back).

Maybe there's a red-zone QB package that Luke could excel in? Maybe he'll have some packages where he splits out wide and they either use him as a decoy, pitch to him on reverses, have him pass on trick plays, or just hand off occasionally on a jet sweep. It would add some defensive confusion and offensive unpredictability to the mix that could be helpful and get the most out of a talented football player.

Does anybody see a role for McCaffrey even if Martinez or Vedral wins the starting QB job?
I mean, whom would you rather see inside the 10-yard line running a read option? (I know, freshman Adrian was better than sophomore Adrian at that, so maybe freshman Adrian comes back).

Maybe there's a red-zone QB package that Luke could excel in? Maybe he'll have some packages where he splits out wide and they either use him as a decoy, pitch to him on reverses, have him pass on trick plays, or just hand off occasionally on a jet sweep. It would add some defensive confusion and offensive unpredictability to the mix that could be helpful and get the most out of a talented football player.
I think McCaffrey is one of those guys who is just an incredible athlete. If I was coach I would be doing anything and everything to keep him happy and involved in the game plan as frequently as possible. If he doesn't get the starting QB job in the fall. Could see him becoming a Taysom Hill type player for us. Basically Frost can line him up at every position.

Martinez wasn't good at zone read as a freshman either. It's not like it's random either. He makes the wrong decision 90% of the time on zone read plays. You think if it was random he could at least get it right 50% of the time.

I think he was being sarcastic. If he wasn't, that was maybe one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on the free board.

I think McCaffrey is one of those guys who is just an incredible athlete. If I was coach I would be doing anything and everything to keep him happy and involved in the game plan as frequently as possible. If he doesn't get the starting QB job in the fall. Could see him becoming a Taysom Hill type player for us. Basically Frost can line him up at every position.
Maybe Martinez is the Tayson Hill guy?

It was sarcasm. JD is not a problem to the team, and Luke is a qb, no matter how much fans had or still want him as a reciever.
Sorry, should have worded it better.

If Luke doesn’t make the 1 spot at QB, is it better to have him solely hold a clipboard or to get him on the field? Not as a starter but a guy who can exploit opposing Ds situationally.

Reactions: headcard
If Luke doesn’t make the 1 spot at QB, is it better to have him solely hold a clipboard or to get him on the field? Not as a starter but a guy who can exploit opposing Ds situationally.
I think packages as a wildcat,step in on occasion, even a few special pass downs as reciever, but, if our wr room gets good, dont count on the last one too much.
But, for the most part, being cute is done.

B, especially in red-zone situations.

This is great to show where we're at depth-wise. It's interesting the gap in the sophomore column, but to be expected with so many redshirts the last 2 years. What excites me is that we seem to finally be getting some more depth in the trenches. Plenty of upperclassmen and depth behind. We're young in the skill positions, but that's not a bad place to be young, assuming the guys are as talented as we hope.

Bottom line, this team is still really young. But, there does seem to be plenty of experience on the O-line and D-line.

Reactions: bshirt73 and 9and4
This is great to show where we're at depth-wise. It's interesting the gap in the sophomore column, but to be expected with so many redshirts the last 2 years. What excites me is that we seem to finally be getting some more depth in the trenches. Plenty of upperclassmen and depth behind. We're young in the skill positions, but that's not a bad place to be young, assuming the guys are as talented as we hope.

Bottom line, this team is still really young. But, there does seem to be plenty of experience on the O-line and D-line.
50% of the 2017 and 2018 class are either gone, out of eligibility (M Williams), or never made it to campus. All of the players from 2019 that made it to campus are still with the program. The sophomore list of scholarship players (10/88 listed) is a bit like a doughnut hole in terms of numbers.
In terms of depth, I count 24 of the 44 2-deep spots being occupied by Jrs and Srs. I think the remaining spots will be occupied by underclassmen. These numbers are very much in line with the depth charts from 2009 (24 upperclassmen) and 2013 (23 upperclassmen). Thirteen of the 38 scholarship upperclassmen are kids Frost brought into the program.

Reactions: 9and4
Updated with the latest numbers. We are still 1 scholarship over, so at least one more person will be processed out.

Absolutely

Updated with the latest numbers. We are still 1 scholarship over, so at least one more person will be processed out.
I think it is more likely to be like 4. We still plan to take two more guys (recruits or transfers), plus Reiner could be a scholarship worthy guy, if a spot frees up.

I suspect that the coaches know of other guys already who are probably going to quit or transfer who just haven't made it public yet. They also may know of some players that will go on medical hardship scholarships as soon as we need the open spots. We're still recruiting guys for this February signing period so they must have a plan. We don't have to worry too much about the numbers until after spring ball.

Maybe Martinez is the Tayson Hill guy?
He isn't. Adrian is solid as a runner from the QB position but he is not dynamic or explosive enough to be a weapon at other spots. He certainly doesn't like contact enough to play RB.

It should already have been evident to anyone watching that Luke is a better runner than Adrian. Adrian (when healthy) is the better passer.

I suspect that the coaches know of other guys already who are probably going to quit or transfer who just haven't made it public yet. They also may know of some players that will go on medical hardship scholarships as soon as we need the open spots. We're still recruiting guys for this February signing period so they must have a plan. We don't have to worry too much about the numbers until after spring ball.
They do. There might be some surprises as well, but both Jefferson and Raridon were speculated. Christian Gaylord is counting toward the total as they await his medical redshirt request. We have 23 signed 2020 commits (not counting Gifford since he is a blueshirt and won't go against the 2020 numbers). So we can take at least 2 more. I know you can over sign, but I'm not sure how many we can over sign as of now. Most (all?) of the remaining seniors are on the 2-deep. Juniors, you have players like Bradley that don't play much. Maybe one of the TEs. While we only have 1 underclass TE, we have 4 juniors that can play. Maybe 1 or 2 of the current WR given the new crop coming in. McQuitty (3 games this year, 6 games last year), Chase (played 3 redshirted), Houston (played 0 games and redshirted?), and Nance (1 game, redshirted) for example. Not that I am implying something has been said, but you have to question their inability to contribute given our serious lack of production on the outside.

They do. There might be some surprises as well, but both Jefferson and Raridon were speculated. Christian Gaylord is counting toward the total as they await his medical redshirt request. We have 23 signed 2020 commits (not counting Gifford since he is a blueshirt and won't go against the 2020 numbers). So we can take at least 2 more. I know you can over sign, but I'm not sure how many we can over sign as of now. Most (all?) of the remaining seniors are on the 2-deep. Juniors, you have players like Bradley that don't play much. Maybe one of the TEs. While we only have 1 underclass TE, we have 4 juniors that can play. Maybe 1 or 2 of the current WR given the new crop coming in. McQuitty (3 games this year, 6 games last year), Chase (played 3 redshirted), Houston (played 0 games and redshirted?), and Nance (1 game, redshirted) for example. Not that I am implying something has been said, but you have to question their inability to contribute given our serious lack of production on the outside.
If I remember right, we have room for two more,and if others , leave later, a potential transfer.
I see us getting two more this class, one way or another, wont speculate on anyone leaving.

Reactions: Nebraskakid555
It should already have been evident to anyone watching that Luke is a better runner than Adrian. Adrian (when healthy) is the better passer.
Yes, very much the case. I would say objectively so.

He isn't. Adrian is solid as a runner from the QB position but he is not dynamic or explosive enough to be a weapon at other spots. He certainly doesn't like contact enough to play RB.

Adrian his freshman year was a damn good runner. Sure Luke may be faster, but you could definitely see some natural instincts from AM his freshman year. It seems like he was told not to take hits this year while he should just be told to go out and make plays.

Jaron Woodyard....

EDIT: Bleh, nm, I already has this updated.

Last edited:
I would like to see AMart lean out a little bit. Perhaps shed 5-7 lbs that slowed him down last year. His legs is what will separate him from the pack, not his arm. You don't need to be 230 in this league to survive.
I think it was the injuries that caused a lot of the indecisiveness as a runner. It was obvious he did not want to get hit

I don’t expect the redshirt freshmen to leave yet. They just got here and needed to develop bodies physically and learn offense. Mcquitty would not surprise me although he was a recruit i was excited about

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT