ADVERTISEMENT

James Winston ran a 4.97 40...

BigBL87

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 11, 2006
Any chance that hurts him enough to drop from #1 like alot of people are projecting? I thought he was supposedly much faster.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's not terrible for a qb. He is just mobile enough to buy more time. I personally think he will be an average to below average qb at best.

He probably had his pockets full of crab legs and it slowed him down a little.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
That's not terrible for a qb. He is just mobile enough to buy more time. I personally think he will be an average to below average qb at best.

Agree 1000%, but he's going #1 don't you think? No way Tampa passes on the hometown kid.

I wouldn't take a qb #1 almost ever. You are better off with a top-flight lineman. The exception being the Andrew Luck- type players, and they are few and far between.

I wouldn't take a qb #1 almost ever. You are better off with a top-flight lineman. The exception being the Andrew Luck- type players, and they are few and far between.

Again, I agree. But he's going #1. Tampa really has no choice, they need a QB, hometown kid, he'll be a Buc next year. I also think he's the second coming of Jamarcus Russell.

He is way more accurate and better in the pocket than Russell ever was. If he didnt have the issues off the field, many people would be singing a different tune but as it is he is very difficult to like and root for.

Winston running a 4.97 will,hurt his draft status as much as not being able to throw a football 40 yards hurts the draft status of a lineman.

If you have a top 3 pick in the draft because you are a bad team without a QB, you have to take a chance. The difference from seasons ago is that with the rookie salary cap, drafting a bust QB doesn't kill your franchise for a generation.

Check out the video screen where they put him and MM in the same screen for comparison.
laugh.r191677.gif

SB Nation

He will be a bust, and it doesn't have anything to do with his legs. Brady, Aikman, Marino, etc... Plenty of successful QBs that carry around pianos when they run.

Originally posted by klemman:
Winston running a 4.97 will,hurt his draft status as much as not being able to throw a football 40 yards hurts the draft status of a lineman.
Fair enough. I knew he wasn't a "running" QB as his other tools are more important. I just thought he was supposedly faster and that was part of his appeal. I think he's a headcase and will be a bust anyway, just figured I'd ask.

I will take Winston as an avg nfl starting qb in 2016 if anyone wants to make that wager. Comparing him with Russell is a joke.

Physically he's still a monster. If he flames out in the NFL, physical skills will have little to do with it.

ADVERTISEMENT