ADVERTISEMENT

James Carnie, new Iowa offer

Which coaches said Carnie could play other positions or is this board speculation?

IMO you take the best players you can get at the positions of need. I don't understand the need to recruit him based on where he lives. If the kid was from South Dakota would you be excited about getting him just so Iowa didn't?

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
Which coaches said Carnie could play other positions or is this board speculation?

IMO you take the best players you can get at the positions of need. I don't understand the need to recruit him.based on where he lives. If the kid was from South Dakota would you be excited.about getting him just so Iowa didn't?

I heard Carnie possibly switching to OLB on the HoL podcast.

Fair exchange..We still will have the better deal..

I love how as fans we do this. We still have the better deal... Already saying we've won although Fidone has yet to sign and we don't know where Carnie is playing his college ball at yet. No idea who their QB's will be, what the OL is like, position coaches, or any of that. Yet, we have declared Nebraska getting the better deal. Let's see how the careers play out and then we can see who got the best of who.

Hope the Carnie kid does pick Iowa and then in 3-4 years we can see who had the better collegiate career. Hope both kids have a solid career. Personally I like seeing Nebraska and Iowa kids stay close to home, work hard, and have a chance at making an NFL roster.

Bumping this up to see if anyone has an update on James since last week? He’s played 4 games this season so I would surmise that he has enough on film to receive a Husker offer.
Any chance he’s a silent commit?
GBR!

No inside info but from hearing Schaefer and other recruiting gurus, it’s not looking like Carnie will get that Nebraska offer. The rest of the offers that we have left are for defense and if we do offer him, that will affect in getting Micah Riley for next years class. Riley does have the makings of having that “It” factor. He’s getting offers by everyone in the country.

Back to Carnie, he wants to play tight end at the next level and rightfully so. Having said that, without a Nebraska offer I believe that he will be a Hawkeye.

No inside info but from hearing Schaefer and other recruiting gurus, it’s not looking like Carnie will get that Nebraska offer. The rest of the offers that we have left are for defense and if we do offer him, that will affect in getting Micah Riley for next years class. Riley does have the makings of having that “It” factor. He’s getting offers by everyone in the country.

Back to Carnie, he wants to play tight end at the next level and rightfully so. Having said that, without a Nebraska offer I believe that he will be a Hawkeye.
Do not like.

If we land Riley him and Fidone would be a nightmare for anyone...I still do like Carnie better than Rollins but hopefully he can continue to progress.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I thought I heard Carnie may be more open to switching to DE? And our DL recruiting this cycle has been virtually non-existent, although I know there’s at least a couple of CBs out there.
I kind of like taking his raw speed and bulking him up to a DE if we don’t fill up with better options.
I’m no expert on him or Rollins, but also wonder if he’s rising faster than Rollins.

I thought I heard Carnie may be more open to switching to DE? And our DL recruiting this cycle has been virtually non-existent, although I know there’s at least a couple of CBs out there.
I kind of like taking his raw speed and bulking him up to a DE if we don’t fill up with better options.
I’m no expert on him or Rollins, but also wonder if he’s rising faster than Rollins.

So he’s not against playing D but in a recent interview he made it be known that schools are looking at him as a TE and that his intent is to play on the offensive side of the ball. He is focusing hard on the schools that have offered. In regards to Rollins, he’s very raw but does well when he actually gets the ball. Creighton Prep doesn’t really utilize him as much as they should. Rollins is a project but is similar to what Noah Fant was in high school. Not saying he will turn out like Fant but let’s hope he does.

Not sure which TE is better but I can almost guarantee which one will end up drafted if the other comes to Iowa. You have had the highest rated recruits consistentley in the west yet for one reason or another they don't pan out.

Not sure which TE is better but I can almost guarantee which one will end up drafted if the other comes to Iowa. You have had the highest rated recruits consistentley in the west yet for one reason or another they don't pan out.

3 head coaches in a 5 year span, that’s why. But we now have our golden boy and he’s here to stay. His recruits knows that as well.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Don’t like Carnie getting away. Iowa is very good at Developing TE’s and he is a stud. He’s a lot like Fant in athleticism and we all saw how Iowa devolved him. With that said, **** Iowa.

Darn. I’m not on Twitter verse, but something out there this morning from him. Best of luck to him in all but 1 game each year.
GBR!

Darn. I’m not on Twitter verse, but something out there this morning from him. Best of luck to him in all but 1 game each year.
GBR!

Think that’s just an “edit” and not a commitment?
I hope he goes to KSU if we don’t offer him. It just feels like one of those scenarios that bites us down the line if he goes to Iowa.
I don’t mean that as an argument that we have to offer him if coaches don’t feel like it’s the right move (for a variety of reasons), but it also does mean coaches better have a hit with Rollins or it’ll look a lot worse.

Last edited:
From what I know we have not offered yet. I’m guessing Frost spoke with him and said that the numbers aren’t adding up this year so Carnie will go elsewhere.
Carnie going to Iowa and becoming an all-American will be the Nebraska type thing to happen. I’m really hoping he goes to KState, will avoid playing him and will also make it easier to transfer in the future.
I guess he could always commit on the 12th and if a spot opens later he’ll come.

He’s got his third P-5 offer from Pitt so now has the ability to ‘comparison’ shop in a sense. KSU seems like a great fit, IMO, great coach in Kleiman.
GBR!

Reactions: headcard
It will be interesting to see what happens with Iowa TE recruiting next year. There is another Raridon that has got a couple crystal balls to Iowa. Will they take multiple TE’s next year?
The expectation is for Iowa to take two TE’s next year. It’s kind of surprising that they are still after TEs once Fidone snubbed them. But here we are.

Reactions: headcard
We got space and need for project DE’s. Until we load up on DL studs I’m still digging taking Rollins and Carnie and letting their performance guide which could switch to DE. A DE with Carnie’s speed is appealing.

We got space and need for project DE’s. Until we load up on DL studs I’m still digging taking Rollins and Carnie and letting their performance guide which could switch to DE. A DE with Carnie’s speed is appealing.

If we ran a 4-3 maybe...don't see him being in a 3 -4 unless at LB

You are not sure which TE is better? Are you that dense? Thomas Fidone is ranked the number 1 TE in the country via 24/7 and he will quite possibly be a 5 star TE soon enough. Enough said....and it’s not even close.

3 head coaches in a 5 year span, that’s why. But we now have our golden boy and he’s here to stay. His recruits knows that as well.

“3 head coaches in a 5 year span, that’s why.”

I mean come on, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this out and yet, Hawkeye fans seem be blind to it. Not every team is lucky enough to have the same head coach for over 20 plus years.

Thomas Fidone will get drafted regardless of the logo on the side of his helmet. It doesn’t matter if it’s an N, a Chicken or LSU on it...he will definitely be an NFL draft pick. He’s one of those rare talents that hardly come around. He can play WR or TE and still kill it. And don’t mistake it, Frost will design packages just for him, believe that. Thomas Fidone will get plenty of targets and stats throughout his Husker career.

Last edited:
He’s one of those rare talents that hardly come around. He can play WR or TE and still kill it. And don’t mistake it, Frost will design packages just for him, believe that. Thomas Fidone will get plenty of targets and stats throughout his Husker career.

This is one area where Iowa completely screwed up with Fant. IIRC he ran a 4.5 at the combine. He could've split out to WR for Iowa when TJ was at TE. It rarely happened. So Kirk basically wasted a 1st round talent for some ego-driven reason. He squanders talent surprisingly often. In the QB department he rarely allows the 2nd teamer to get quality reps in blow-out games. He has hinted he does this because he doesn't want fans to second guess the starter. That's really insecure logic for not getting the back-up prepared for when he might be needed.

Reactions: huskerssalts
This is one area where Iowa completely screwed up with Fant. IIRC he ran a 4.5 at the combine. He could've split out to WR for Iowa when TJ was at TE. It rarely happened. So Kirk basically wasted a 1st round talent for some ego-driven reason. He squanders talent surprisingly often. In the QB department he rarely allows the 2nd teamer to get quality reps in blow-out games. He has hinted he does this because he doesn't want fans to second guess the starter. That's really insecure logic for not getting the back-up prepared for when he might be needed.

agreed, that’s something I can almost guarantee Frost wouldn’t have done. He’d found a way to get both players on the field at all times. Probably exactly like you mentioned. Having Fant as WR type and TJ as TE. Ferentz is a defensive guy.

Reactions: JoelBittner
ADVERTISEMENT