ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Turner

BigRedballz

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
Lincoln
from the World Herald. I liked Fish but this is a fairly blunt assessment from Turner. Glad he likes the new coach though.

"I like what they're doing here," Turner said. "This is the offense I'm in, and I enjoy these coaches. Coach (Williams) is the great receiver coach - the best receiver coach I've ever been around. Easily. He knows what he's talking about. He has a lot of tools, and it's so fun to sit back and watch him. He won't just tell you 'when you come off the line, I need you to do this.' He's going to show it to you. Anybody can tell you do something, but when I see it, and he actually looks smooth doing it, it's the coolest thing."

Comments like this are coming out across all across the board from several players representing several different position groups. Makes me wonder if Love has ever second-guessed his decision to leave - he's one guy who could've really benefitted from the change.

I smile a little bit every time I read one of our players quotes like this, wonder if the old staff is seeing these quotes (not that I care) and am genuinely happy for our guys as I do think their ceiling just got a little bit higher.

Coach Williams could've just come to Nebraska after spending 2000 through 2008 at the JUCO level and he would've still had more experience than Fisher as a College WR Coach.

Fisher was a good recruiter though. He probably doesn't get the credit he deserves from that standpoint.

For as much as the players "loved Bo", there are a lot of guys taking some thinly veiled swipes at the prior staff. I'm sure there are a lot of kids on the roster that were loyal to Bo, and I'm sure there are also a few guys that were disgruntled with Bo and Co, but I think this staff is going to win everyone over fairly quickly. This staff seems to be working too hard and be too good of a group of people for players not to buy in. I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it playing out.

The kids were loyal to their former coaches. That is a good thing. The present staff seems to have taken things at face value and they are just focusing on doing what they do, which is coaching football. From what we are hearing from players, it appears that they are better teachers.

Originally posted by shine003:
For as much as the players "loved Bo", there are a lot of guys taking some thinly veiled swipes at the prior staff. I'm sure there are a lot of kids on the roster that were loyal to Bo, and I'm sure there are also a few guys that were disgruntled with Bo and Co, but I think this staff is going to win everyone over fairly quickly. This staff seems to be working too hard and be too good of a group of people for players not to buy in. I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it playing out.
What I find ironic is during Bo's last meeting with the players he said, "Whoever it is will probably come in here and talk bad about what we've done, or sit there and say, 'We gotta upgrade this, we gotta upgrade that.'" From what I can tell, the Riley staff has gone out of their way to talk up the good things the previous staff did and has avoided commenting in a bad way about deficiencies, such as the dumpster fire of roster management. Any comments that could be deemed marginally critical of the past seem to be coming from the players (and they aren't bad, I don't take them in a bad way, but some people might).

When MR was hired and they interviewed Turner, you could tell the kid was unhappy. I took that for being unhappy with the hire. Now, I think he was unhappy because of the way the prior staff used him. Give JT 4 to 5 years in an MR system coached by Williams and I have no doubt he'd be playing on Sundays. Had Bo stayed for JT's final year, he wouldn't even get a look at the NFL. Now he's got a 50/50 shot at it.

I truly believe there is no other current player who will benefit more in the future from this staff this year then JT will. The kid's talent was wasted for 3 - 4 years. I always thought Beck & BO should have designed more plays to get JT the ball. Did JT drop balls? Sure, but that's expected from WRs when they are only get 2 to 3 targets a game. WRs get cold. You have got to keep them involved. Got to keep feeding them the ball so they stay hyped and focused.

Also, Coach Williams has already become my favorite coach on this staff and its not even close. I was unhappy when Brent Brennan didn't join the staff. I was unhappy when CW was hired, because he wasn't the knock out recruiter I thought the staff needed. But listing to this guy talk about wide outs is awesome. IMO there are two types of position coaches, 1) a coach who gets plugged at a spot because generally he knows how to coach and a spot is open. I think there are a few guys on this staff that fit this (Reggie Davis) . or 2) a coach who is an expert at his position. IMO, that's Coach Williams @ WR. I wouldn't take another WR coach in the world over Williams (pros or college). He's a positive guy, who can coach, whose fun, and knows his stuff.

Sounds great, but I pretty much take nothing from these kind of comments. Everything new is better, especially when a highly touted player doesn't reach the lofty expectation for whatever reason.

Turner always had/has a ton of talent. His journey at Nebraska has been a frustrating one for everyone involved I hope he stays healthy and contributes this year. Would be great to see.

Originally posted by spinner4:

I truly believe there is no other current player who will benefit more in the future from this staff this year then JT will.
I agree unless someone other than TA is the QB at the end of the year, then I would vote for that guy.

Yea, I just want to see turner play an entire season without getting injured. Seems the only year he was healthy was his freshman year when he was in the dog house for some reason.

Originally posted by jteten:
Sounds great, but I pretty much take nothing from these kind of comments. Everything new is better, especially when a highly touted player doesn't reach the lofty expectation for whatever reason.

Turner always had/has a ton of talent. His journey at Nebraska has been a frustrating one for everyone involved I hope he stays healthy and contributes this year. Would be great to see.
Say what you want about Turner, but the kid never got a fair shake at Nebraska. Tim Beck had ZERO idea how to use a player with Turner's skill set. He tried to use him as a traditional WR, for which he is not suited. Turner is more of a poor man's Percy Harvin. He is the poster child of players that suffered from our previous staff having no idea how to tailor our schemes to incorporate talent.

Originally posted by jteten:

Say what you want about Turner, but the kid never got a fair shake at Nebraska. Tim Beck had ZERO idea how to use a player with Turner's skill set. He tried to use him as a traditional WR, for which he is not suited. Turner is more of a poor man's Percy Harvin. He is the poster child of players that suffered from our previous staff having no idea how to tailor our schemes to incorporate talent.
He was definitely mishandled from day 1.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:
Originally posted by spinner4:

I truly believe there is no other current player who will benefit more in the future from this staff this year then JT will.
I agree unless someone other than TA is the QB at the end of the year, then I would vote for that guy.
Spinner's claim is pretty lofty, IMO. I think Cethan Carter (probably every other TE), every LB, every WR, and every QB will benefit huge from the coaching change. Who benefits the most, who knows?

I don't know. He did make plenty of mistakes/drops his first year and when you do that, you will get less playing time. He started to do well and was on the verge of breaking out his sophomore year and then he got injured and he really hasn't been healthy since. I guess I don't think it was quite as unfair as others suggest.

Whatever the case, I do hope he is 100% this year and he can commence kicking some butt.

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
I don't know. He did make plenty of mistakes/drops his first year and when you do that, you will get less playing time. He started to do well and was on the verge of breaking out his sophomore year and then he got injured and he really hasn't been healthy since. I guess I don't think it was quite as unfair as others suggest.

Whatever the case, I do hope he is 100% this year and he can commence kicking some butt.
He got noticeably less playing time after his public comment about Taylor Martinez's lack of accuracy. Maybe it was coincidental but he all but disappeared after that.

It appears that Jamal may get the last laugh in this one! Hope the kid can stay healthy.

We will find out how good the coaches are if the team loses a couple of games and the team starts to doubt themselves and loose their confidence. Everything is still a bowl of cherries.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

He got noticeably less playing time after his public comment about Taylor Martinez's lack of accuracy. Maybe it was coincidental but he all but disappeared after that.
`The guy has been injured for much of his time at Nebraska. I don't remember him riding the pine all that much when healthy. Here's hoping he can stay healthy this year.

This post was edited on 3/13 8:08 AM by Tulsa Tom

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:
What I find ironic is during Bo's last meeting with the players he said, "Whoever it is will probably come in here and talk bad about what we've done, or sit there and say, 'We gotta upgrade this, we gotta upgrade that.'" From what I can tell, the Riley staff has gone out of their way to talk up the good things the previous staff did and has avoided commenting in a bad way about deficiencies, such as the dumpster fire of roster management. Any comments that could be deemed marginally critical of the past seem to be coming from the players (and they aren't bad, I don't take them in a bad way, but some people might).
I paid special attention to that part in his speech as well. That alone reeked of "oh, shit, they are going to expose me for who I am" - so he was worried about his "legacy" with the players that he had wrapped around his finger.

A) I love that I haven't heard the new staff mention even ONCE anything about the old staff. That is in the past and they are moving forward.

B) The quotes we are seeing suggest what Bo had to fear had nothing to do with "they will say" - instead it is "you will see" that he should have been afraid of.

Yup right around the time Tim Marlowe was receiving pt over Turner.

Holla

yup.
Originally posted by kakdawg:

Yup right around the time Tim Marlowe was receiving pt over Turner.

Holla

Next year will open some eyes with our level of play.
I fully expect an undefeated season heading into the Championship Game against Ohio State.

ssmith84 is seeing the field here; the wr coach is all spinner said, but the other assistants are of the same mold. Coach R and the A D ; and Coaches inner circle and the team as it grew, sought out the attributes gaining positive comments. Those who wished we could have gotten Harbaugh; no way , even with respect , that I would trade staffs with Michigan. We are being put in the position to do so well; one head guy doesn't get it all done, hopefully effort and fate jell. Very happy for our players; no matter how much I respect some former coaches.

I am drinking your red Koolaide; and applaud you for it. The thing is; we are being put in position for it, all I can ask - I am not the Superman some are . The thing I think brings many anticipatory negative comments here, is what has been happening at Crux time in games - We got to where we were being embarrassed; now we are growing to where Blackshirts will be showing up, and blocks and ball movement will be thrown, lunch pales are coming back. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT