ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Garcia - 2021 Four-Star QB with Huskers on Top...

I have thought fir a long time that Crouch may have been the best QB to play for NU. I wonder how he would have done play under center for 1995 pipeline and those stable of horses. *Homer drool*

Reactions: SC_'sker
defense lost the nc's in those years, not TG. (and an odd shaped field in 82 at piss ant u)

If, as mcbride said, TG had the defense crouch had, he would have won the nc's Go watch the respective games to find out

switzer wanted TG so bad that TO had to hide him come signing day.

And switzer wasn't the only one. Crouch, I am sure others wanted him but I don't know how many as a qb. There may have been some, but I just don't know who, maybe notre dame?

Crouch was beaten out by Bobby Newcombe for awhile, that's why he went home to millard and Frank Solich had to go get him. BN was a very good qb and I liked him better as a passer.

At this point, I'm not even certain what you're arguing about. I jumped in when posters started acting like Crouch was Zac Lee and had NU only been able to plug in Gill, well then we certainly would have won multiple championships during Crouch's time. And to that I say "hogwash." Is it possible that they could have another one, maybe two? Sure it is, but acting like our really really good quarterback at the time was what was holding us back, is bizarre. The guy was so good, he won a Heisman trophy. No attempts to dismiss it are going to work. Are you that bummed about it? Okay, let's say he didn't deserve it, and should have been runner-up, will you feel better? It doesn't make him anything less than what he was to the team.

I don't know that anyone is saying that Crouch was necessarily a better all around qb than Gill was, but he was damn good, and one could make the argument that Crouch was, in fact, better. It could easily be argued that Crouch meant more for his team than Gill did for his team, since Gill's team had insane talent at RB and WR, which no doubt made Gill's job easier. "Yes," the 99 D was one of the best, but let's not pretend that the 82 and 83 D's weren't good.

What if you give Crouch a Heisman quality running back and 1st overall pick at WR to work with. Do you think he would have looked even better? It wasn't Gill's defense that threw a bad pass on the 2 pt. conversion; If Gill hits an open Smith in the endzone, he's probably a champion. If Alexander doesn't put the ball on the carpet at the 1 yard line of Texass, Crouch is probably a champion.

This all just seems like a lot of Crouch hate. I like TG, but the bagging on Crouch and treating him as a glorified Monte Christo is strange.

I have thought fir a long time that Crouch may have been the best QB to play for NU. I wonder how he would have done play under center for 1995 pipeline and those stable of horses. *Homer drool*
Something we'll never know. But if he comes in the same time Tommie did, he doesn't beat out Frazier. Tommie wasn't the fastest wasn't the best passer but he had the intangibles, he's a born leader

At this point, I'm not even certain what you're arguing about. I jumped in when posters started acting like Crouch was Zac Lee and had NU only been able to plug in Gill, well then we certainly would have won multiple championships during Crouch's time. And to that I say "hogwash." Is it possible that they could have another one, maybe two? Sure it is, but acting like our really really good quarterback at the time was what was holding us back, is bizarre. The guy was so good, he won a Heisman trophy. No attempts to dismiss it are going to work. Are you that bummed about it? Okay, let's say he didn't deserve it, and should have been runner-up, will you feel better? It doesn't make him anything less than what he was to the team.

I don't know that anyone is saying that Crouch was necessarily a better all around qb than Gill was, but he was damn good, and one could make the argument that Crouch was, in fact, better. It could easily be argued that Crouch meant more for his team than Gill did for his team, since Gill's team had insane talent at RB and WR, which no doubt made Gill's job easier. "Yes," the 99 D was one of the best, but let's not pretend that the 82 and 83 D's weren't good.

What if you give Crouch a Heisman quality running back and 1st overall pick at WR to work with. Do you think he would have looked even better? It wasn't Gill's defense that threw a bad pass on the 2 pt. conversion; If Gill hits an open Smith in the endzone, he's probably a champion. If Alexander doesn't put the ball on the carpet at the 1 yard line of Texass, Crouch is probably a champion.

This all just seems like a lot of Crouch hate. I like TG, but the bagging on Crouch and treating him as a glorified Monte Christo is strange.
IMO Eric comes off as a spoiled brat, a lot of people don't like a quitter then you have the head coach go beg him to come back. That's the fastest way to lose your team!!! That turns off a lot of fans. Again it's just my opinion!!!

Reactions: saluno22

The offense wouldn't have been near as good as it was with Frazier. TF was a wizard running the option and a great decision maker on the fly with the option. EC was hardly the same. Great runner, but a lot left to be desired on the other aspects.

Something we'll never know. But if he comes in the same time Tommie did, he doesn't beat out Frazier. Tommie wasn't the fastest wasn't the best passer but he had the intangibles, he's a born leader

I thought that Crouch had those intangibles. It was Lord who I thought was lacking in that department. I always thought difference was the talent surrounding them. I do love TF.

Crouch did not have Rozier, Craig, Rathman or Fryar. He did not have LP and Ahman. A sportswriter (name escapes me) who was pro-Crouch for the Heisman said he was the closest thing to a one-man gang in college football. Vince Young had this, but he also had a better supporting cast.

Reactions: BlueValleyHusker
the heisman is relative from year to year depending on the competition znd the promotions by the school's SID. Like I said Rozier TG's teammate won it and there weren't 2 to give. Eric crouch was not nor ever will be NU's most talented qb arguabley and IMO
btw--a few years ago a national survey was published and T; Frazier was voted the best qb in the previous 25 years or so

Well, it helps boatloads for any qb when 1995 had a truly sensational OLine, a superb RB & a totally terrific defense.

Crouch did not have Rozier, Craig, Rathman or Fryar. He did not have LP and Ahman. A sportswriter (name escapes me) who was pro-Crouch for the Heisman said he was the closest thing to a one-man gang in college football. Vince Young had this, but he also had a better supporting cast.
Very good point. Crouch was special as he had far less talent than Gill and Frazier and still won a heisman.

Very good point. Crouch was special as he had far less talent than Gill and Frazier and still won a heisman.

Consider who they were up against too..

If LP doesn’t F’up he wins the 95 Heisman going away and Rozier won the 83 and Herschel Walker won in 82..

Nothing against Eric but it was the weakest list oh Heisman candidates in a long time..

It is not crouch hate at all. I am just opining as to comments that EC was a better qb because he won the H trophy and other comments. I was stating facts and opinions. Read anything you want into any of the discussion, but one play did not lose that game to miami. miami sdredded NU's defense that night and 30 points should have been enough to win and Rosier was hurt with a high ankle sprain. Yes, you are correct. fumble at 1 foot line cost NU the NC.

You seem to be pointing the 2 pointer to make your point. TG's broken up 2 pointer. I am looking at the body of work. And IMO, if gill was healthy at the end of 81, NU would have beaten clemson in the orange bowl for the nc, 82 and 83 have been discussed By your logic, if gill had EC's defenses, he would have had multiple nc's, although ou beat them up some in 2000.

you are entitled to your opinion just as we are.

It is not crouch hate at all. I am just opining as to comments that EC was a better qb because he won the H trophy and other comments. I was stating facts and opinions. Read anything you want into any of the discussion, but one play did not lose that game to miami. miami sdredded NU's defense that night and 30 points should have been enough to win and Rosier was hurt with a high ankle sprain. Yes, you are correct. fumble at 1 foot line cost NU the NC.

You seem to be pointing the 2 pointer to make your point. TG's broken up 2 pointer. I am looking at the body of work. And IMO, if gill was healthy at the end of 81, NU would have beaten clemson in the orange bowl for the nc, 82 and 83 have been discussed By your logic, if gill had EC's defenses, he would have had multiple nc's, although ou beat them up some in 2000.

you are entitled to your opinion just as we are.
Nobody was making the argument that EC was better than TG. “By your logic, if gill had EC's defenses, he would have had multiple nc's, although ou beat them up some in 2000.” Of course he would!!

138 posts, and about 3 are about Jake Garcia.

FWIW, I would rather have Dematrius Davis or Jalen Milroe in the 2021 class
Do you think Frost my go down the road that Tom used to take where he would try to take 2 QBs every year with a little different skill set? I realize that at least early on Tom had more scholarships to work with but I think he continued that practice even after the limits were screwed down.

Do you think Frost my go down the road that Tom used to take where he would try to take 2 QBs every year with a little different skill set? I realize that at least early on Tom had more scholarships to work with but I think he continued that practice even after the limits were screwed down.

I think it will be tough to get two 4 star dudes in the same class. I could see taking 2 different style QBs in the class, as you describe, but one will be more of a reach than the other.

I think there are two elements detrimental to this idea:
1. Lower scholarship limits compared to much of Osborne's career (need to spread them out across other positions, can't have 5/6/7 scholarship QBs and expect to have enough talent elsewhere to be successful).
2. Ability and willingness of QBs to transfer as soon as they realize they are not and won't be "the man".

While #2 may actually help #1 by moving along dead weight, I don't think today's QB culture will be conducive to this strategy on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. Maybe every now and then we get two.

I like the idea, I just don't think it's feasible in this day and age.

I think there are two elements detrimental to this idea:
1. Lower scholarship limits compared to much of Osborne's career (need to spread them out across other positions, can't have 5/6/7 scholarship QBs and expect to have enough talent elsewhere to be successful).
2. Ability and willingness of QBs to transfer as soon as they realize they are not and won't be "the man".

While #2 may actually help #1 by moving along dead weight, I don't think today's QB culture will be conducive to this strategy on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. Maybe every now and then we get two.

I like the idea, I just don't think it's feasible in this day and age.
I think that Frost has said that he wants 4-5 scholarship QBs on the roster. IF it's 5, then we're going to have to take 2 QBs sometime. That doesn't even consider injuries and transfers. I agree that there's no way we do it routinely. The numbers won't work.

I think that Frost has said that he wants 4-5 scholarship QBs on the roster. IF it's 5, then we're going to have to take 2 QBs sometime. That doesn't even consider injuries and transfers. I agree that there's no way we do it routinely. The numbers won't work.
Considering you started a true freshman at QB in 2018, you have a transfer in that same class (Vedral), assuming Bunch stays at Nebraska, I would assume McCaffery redshirts.

In 2020, you will have 4
2 juniors (Martinez, Vedral)
1 rs freshman (McCaffery
1 true freshman (redshirting(Smothers

In 2021 you will have 5
2 seniors (Martinez, Vedral)
1 soph (McCaffery
1 rs freshman (Smothers)
1 true freshman (redshirting) (unk)

As long as they take 1 per year and redshirt the player, they will usually have 5 on scholarship. With the exception of the 2022 season, were you will be at 4 again, assuming no transfers in or out.

Considering you started a true freshman at QB in 2018, you have a transfer in that same class (Vedral), assuming Bunch stays at Nebraska, I would assume McCaffery redshirts.

In 2020, you will have 4
2 juniors (Martinez, Vedral)
1 rs freshman (McCaffery
1 true freshman (redshirting(Smothers

In 2021 you will have 5
2 seniors (Martinez, Vedral)
1 soph (McCaffery
1 rs freshman (Smothers)
1 true freshman (redshirting) (unk)

As long as they take 1 per year and redshirt the player, they will usually have 5 on scholarship. With the exception of the 2022 season, were you will be at 4 again, assuming no transfers in or out.
I really doubt that Martinez will be at NU 4 years if he stays healthy. He's that good IMO. So that would put us back at 4 IF he leaves early. I do think that the guys we've signed and have committed seem solid enough that I don't think we have to worry too much about a transfer unless a guy like Smothers comes in and wins the job his freshman year. Then we would lose guys.

Last edited:
I really doubt that Martinez will be at NU if he stays healthy. He's that good IMO. So that would put us back at 4 IF he leaves early. I do think that the guys we've signed and have committed seem solid enough that I don't think we have to worry too much about a transfer unless a guy like Smothers comes in and wins the job his freshman year. Then we would lose guys.

I will go ahead and wait a year or two before I declare Martinez will be leaving early. If that happens, they will be at 4 again, but the point is, you don't have to take multiple QBs in a class to keep 4 or 5 QBs on scholarship, as Frost said the goal was.

I will go ahead and wait a year or two before I declare Martinez will be leaving early. If that happens, they will be at 4 again, but the point is, you don't have to take multiple QBs in a class to keep 4 or 5 QBs on scholarship, as Frost said the goal was.
I know I like to go out on the limb on raw talent, but man he's got the tools IMO that NFL GMs like to see. IF he stays healthy and continues to get better, I don't see any way he wouldn't be drafted early.

Nobody was making the argument that EC was better than TG. “By your logic, if gill had EC's defenses, he would have had multiple nc's, although ou beat them up some in 2000.” Of course he would!!
it's all academic, isn't it? in the long run, it doesn't really matter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT