ADVERTISEMENT

Jaimes drafted..Chargers....5th round

CBS Sports graded the pick as an A. Said "Jaime's has high end potential because he's a gifted athlete. Just needs some time in an NFL strength and conditioning program. " What's Doyle not doing down in Lincoln?
Jaimes played with some injuries most of this past fall then you add in the COVID restrictions. He'll be fine. Nothing was normal about this past fall and winter. Those guys had to lose a bunch of time in the weight room.

CBS Sports graded the pick as an A. Said "Jaime's has high end potential because he's a gifted athlete. Just needs some time in an NFL strength and conditioning program. " What's Doyle not doing down in Lincoln?
Doyle?

if he’s afraid of Rutgers how is he gonna be able to play in the afc west?
Getting ready for the draft and his future or playing in a meaningless game against Rutgers?? Hmm...Tough choice. Wasn't for a Big 10 title or National title. He paid his dues and had an NU record for an O lineman with 40 consecutive starts.

Reactions: Red I 73
Cool side story - one of the Chargers’ undrafted free agent signings is a long-snapper who played six-man football in Nebraska. Got an opportunity to play at Georgia Southern and made the most of it. Hopefully he’ll have a good camp and make a run at a roster spot.

Where do you draw the line then? Should sure fire nfl prospects “opt out” of college football ? Would make sense

the individual nfl prospect who is on track to make millions can choose to draw the line anywhere he pleases - the nfl doesn’t seem to care if some of these guys opt out

at some point in a nfl prospects college career there is only financial downside to continue playing for free

Think he's saying stop being butthurt about him not playing in a meaningless game and don't be jealous he's now a millionaire. 😆
He's not anywhere near a millonaire just yet. The signing bonus is 320K. He'll make roughly 950K his first year. Between the cost of living in CA and the fact that CA and Uncle Sam will take over half of his income for income tax, he may very well not accumulate a million IF he sticks around for the 4 his contract. His best bet for financial security is IF he can be good enough to get to free agency and sign a 2nd contract with a Texas franchise.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He's not anywhere near a millonaire just yet. The signing bonus is 320K. He'll make roughly 950K his first year. Between the cost of living in CA and the fact that CA and Uncle Sam will take over half of his income for income tax, he may very well not accumulate a million IF he sticks around for the 4 his contract. His best bet for financial security is IF he can be good enough to get to free agency and sign a 2nd contract with a Texas franchise.
Yes. I meant if he plays his full contract. But according to some that he should have risked his future by playing Rutgers. 😆

yes .. when will those California franchises realize they can't compete with the Texas teams given the tax structure in those 2 states

SuperBowl, World Series and NBA Championship appearances over the last 10 years

California - 14 Texas - 6

yes .. when will those California franchises realize they can't compete with the Texas teams given the tax structure in those 2 states

SuperBowl, World Series and NBA Championship appearances over the last 10 years

California - 14 Texas - 6
My post had nothing to do with the CA franchises competing for championships. It was completely about Jaimes being able to keep more of the money he makes playing football. Get help.

Florida franchise wouldn't be bad either.

Reactions: BleedRed78
the individual nfl prospect who is on track to make millions can choose to draw the line anywhere he pleases - the nfl doesn’t seem to care if some of these guys opt out

at some point in a nfl prospects college career there is only financial downside to continue playing for free

but what about
Think he's saying stop being butthurt about him not playing in a meaningless game and don't be jealous he's now a millionaire. 😆
im a doge coin billionaire. I’m not jealus

Playing 17 weeks of football doesn’t preclude him from living in AZ for half the year + 1 day to avoid CA state income taxes.
I suspect that the state of CA is going to get their cut regardless of where the person claims permanent residence. One of my sons worked 4 days per week near Des Moines for an enginering consulting firm based in Omaha. He lived in Omaha and commuted but still had to pay Iowa state income tax. Likewise people from South Dakota I know have in the past anyway had to pay Nebraska state income tax if they had income in Nebraska.

There was a case quite a while ago where I think it was the state of New York was taxing game checks for professional athletes that played games in New York. I don't know whatever became of that. I would think the tax situations of professional athletes might be fairly complex.

Playing 17 weeks of football doesn’t preclude him from living in AZ for half the year + 1 day to avoid CA state income taxes.
All I know is that the subdivision down the road from me is littered with current and former athletes. Not all of them are from Texas, but some are, I can tell you that they aren't living here because of the gorgeous weather we have here from May to September.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Athletes are subject to the Jock Tax. Per Google:

To calculate the portion of tax paid for athletes’ multistate appearances, the method generally used is called the duty-day formula. Let’s break this down.

The duty-day formula divides the total number of days that an athlete works (game, practice, autographs and team meetings included) in a state by the total working days in the year. The week prior to the Super Bowl, which is full of press time, practice, and video review, is all taxable income to the host state. That percentage will then get multiplied by the employee’s salary to determine how much is taxable to that state.

Athletes are subject to the Jock Tax. Per Google:

To calculate the portion of tax paid for athletes’ multistate appearances, the method generally used is called the duty-day formula. Let’s break this down.

The duty-day formula divides the total number of days that an athlete works (game, practice, autographs and team meetings included) in a state by the total working days in the year. The week prior to the Super Bowl, which is full of press time, practice, and video review, is all taxable income to the host state. That percentage will then get multiplied by the employee’s salary to determine how much is taxable to that state.
Thanks for that. One thing I've learned though in my 35 years of doing my own taxes is that when something says "generally" it doesn't mean always. Some states are going to have different rules. That said, Jaimes no doubt will be subject to California state income tax on the majority of his pay from paying football.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT