ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson Hannah moving to OLB

mrruffin10

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 18, 2018
I just saw where Sean Callahan says he was told that Jackson Hannah will be moving to OLB. I though ILB was getting crowded. Two returning seniors, Mauga, Henrich, Snodgrass Reimer, Greene. Could we see another move? Domann is a hybrid, Tannor, Nelson, Alston, Nico Cooper, Jimari Bulter are the only current returners. Seems to be a position in a ton of flux. I love Nelson but he was toast in space. Tannor is ok..could really use somebody to step up.

This is a good move. Space out that talent. I was hoping to see one of these guys move to OLB. I’d love to see our future LBs something like this:

J Hannah OLB, N Henrichs ILB, K Greene ILB, B Gunnerson/J Butler OLB
I think we can see what they are trying to build by looking at the last 2 classes. Speed is at a premium! I think they tried to adjust their philosophy too much for the big ten. This year they went and got Mauga, Greene, Butler who can fly!

I think we can see what they are trying to build by looking at the last 2 classes. Speed is at a premium! I think they tried to adjust their philosophy too much for the big ten. This year they went and got Mauga, Greene, Butler who can fly!
I see that too. Its a definite change. Looking at 2021 on you can see an overall emphasis on speed.
Even the O linemen, guys fast enough to get there to block on those screens.

Reactions: mrruffin10

that’s no doubt. Now add in Top 100 LB Randolph Kpai. We have some legit...FAST LBs being added to the roster. Great thing to have. GBR

I expect Nelson to start and I think he's going to be a damn good player. People seem to forget that he was a true freshman and he's only going to get better.
I imagine it will be game plan based..I think he will be great against run teams where he is asked to be head up/inside TE. No indictment on the kid but he is big and will only get bigger..as an edge who is asked to coral fast qbs and rbs he will struggle imo

Reactions: Thrasher31
I figured this would happen. Two ILB coming in this class and could go after another LB before this class wraps up. Like him at OLB. Pushes tannor a bit and gives us another option.

I wonder if this means Farmer or Wright are a no go for OLB, Have seen plenty of speculation they could be moved to OLB due their frames

Well. That’s what Dr Tom figured out. For nearly 20 years he couldn’t get over the hump against the Florida schools. So he went and recruited kids who were both physical and could flat out fly and you saw what happened. Go get speed then build around it. IMO, while the 2018 class wasn’t bad, the speed aspect really showed up in the 2019 and 2020 classes. We should start seeing that speed materialize on the field over the next two seasons.

I think Jackson Hannah will have to gain 30 lbs to be an effective OLB. That's asking a lot.
Listed at 225 last year. He could play at 240 easily, up to 250 sure, but he'll be close to good weight.
He's not fully developed being a frosh.

Speed is a great asset to have. I feel like we’ve been recruiting speed at LB. I think what we’ve missed is LBs who are sure tacklers, keep contain, and aren’t vulnerable to cutback lanes

Speed is a great asset to have. I feel like we’ve been recruiting speed at LB. I think what we’ve missed is LBs who are sure tacklers, keep contain, and aren’t vulnerable to cutback lanes
The three guys we signed are by far our fastest lbs and in Greene's case one of the fastest players we have on our team. I agree we need tacklers but down hill tacklers.

Last edited:
I imagine it will be game plan based..I think he will be great against run teams where he is asked to be head up/inside TE. No indictment on the kid but he is big and will only get bigger..as an edge who is asked to coral fast qbs and rbs he will struggle imo
I agree if he can get up to 280 he would be a nice wide 5 tech and really be a pain in the ass out there with his motor.

Listed weight starting fall camp and actual weight with another 6 months in the weight room can be very very different.

I actually think they’ll be very very similar with how Nebraska blows up their weights in the program for whatever reason.

I actually think they’ll be very very similar with how Nebraska blows up their weights in the program for whatever reason.
"blows up"? My impression is that the listed weights at the start of fall camp are not very accurate at all. There's obviously some guys who weigh way more than they're listed at and then there appears to be guys who are smaller than what they're listed at. I haven't paid that much attention to him to make an intelligent guess as to how big he was at the end of the season. It should be fairly easy for a kid to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle in a year with the right diet and workouts.

"blows up"? My impression is that the listed weights at the start of fall camp are not very accurate at all. There's obviously some guys who weigh way more than they're listed at and then there appears to be guys who are smaller than what they're listed at. I haven't paid that much attention to him to make an intelligent guess as to how big he was at the end of the season. It should be fairly easy for a kid to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle in a year with the right diet and workouts.

Nebraska wildly exaggerates weights in the program. I was actually agreeing with you though...I’m saying his weight in 6 months is probably close to what his weight is listed at now, given that they “blow up” players’ weights for whatever reason(s).

Reactions: dinglefritz
I was so excited when Jackson committed. I loved his tape and thought he'd be an awesome OLB. Not sure why they decided start him at ILB but im excited about the move!

Reactions: huskerssalts
I was so excited when Jackson committed. I loved his tape and thought he'd be an awesome OLB. Not sure why they decided start him at ILB but im excited about the move!

i agree. I always hoped he’d be moved to OLB. We got 3 able bodies at ILB in N Henrichs, G Snodgrass and K Greene. With the new guys coming in and Jackson moving to OLB, we have the talent at OLB too. Defense is definitely moving in the right direction.

Nebraska wildly exaggerates weights in the program. I was actually agreeing with you though...I’m saying his weight in 6 months is probably close to what his weight is listed at now, given that they “blow up” players’ weights for whatever reason(s).
Ah. I thought that was what you meant but wasn't sure. I don't know how they post weights for the media guide and I suspect the coaches really don't care what goes in the program. I could be wrong, but I think they literally just ask the players what their height and weight is when they put together the media guide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT