ADVERTISEMENT

J. Monds

ilikenu

Nov 24, 2009
I just read on 247 via CBS sports that they predict Monds to Indiana. Was that expected?

I just read on 247 via CBS sports that they predict Monds to Indiana. Was that expected?

Indiana was his leader for several months. Nebraska wasn't really all-in on this kid like some random joes on the varous messages think. When he would mention schools that were recruiting him the hardest Nebraska was never really mentioned.

If he didn't have an uncle play at Nebraska I doubt Coach Fisher would have even recruited him since he doesn't fit the profile of the body type that Coach Fisher brings in and he wants guys that can play S and/or CB, not just one spot as a DB.

The kid out of IL that is 6'2'' that they offered last month is an example of what Coach Fisher wants.

It has been an odd recruitment. Nebraska was never really in the conversation and then after his visit crystal balls and future casts started flowing in for Nebraska and Monds even changed his Twitter profile stuff to Nebraska stuff. Now they are all switching back to Indiana. It could be that Nebraska won’t take his commit yet and it could be that the visit high just wore off and his more comfortable with Indiana.

Reactions: keilwitzg
Indiana was his leader for several months. Nebraska wasn't really all-in on this kid like some random joes on the varous messages think. When he would mention schools that were recruiting him the hardest Nebraska was never really mentioned.

If he didn't have an uncle play at Nebraska I doubt Coach Fisher would have even recruited him since he doesn't fit the profile of the body type that Coach Fisher brings in and he wants guys that can play S and/or CB, not just one spot as a DB.

The kid out of IL that is 6'2'' that they offered last month is an example of what Coach Fisher wants.
So, you are saying we really didn't want him but offered him a scholarship anyway but we are happy that he didn't accept it. That we offered but really didn't mean it, we have bigger fish in the pipe line so we are actually happy?

Yep. Much was made of his connection to NU with his great uncle, but I think it was Sean Callahan who pointed out that the kid has over 10 other relatives who also played big time athletics somewhere else. Indiana did a great job with him apparently and I think NU and Wisconsin lose out here. Hope I'm wrong!

So, you are saying we really didn't want him but offered him a scholarship anyway but we are happy that he didn't accept it. That we offered but really didn't mean it, we have bigger fish in the pipe line so we are actually happy?

They didn't go after him hard, no. Fisher is very big on fit no matter who it is. Everyone should know that by now.

Who knows where he falls on the priority list, but the thing you described above happens all the time, everywhere.

I hadn’t kept up on much after the visit, but still thought he was N.
I saw one CB for Ndiana, but typically that happens with a local reporter wishing it to happen.
I’m not panicked, but seemed like a solid pickup for us.
I’ve heard we’re long shots for the couple 4* guys we’ve had, so I thought Monds was still high on our list. Seems Avery Powell was ready to commit and may have been waiting on us to give the green light. He’s not the Fisher profile, but the offer list makes him pretty legit.

The unknown kid from Georgia Quantaves Gaskins was more of what Fisher likes. He fell in our lap at camp and came away with an offer. Is he our top choice? We need multiple DBs so not sure why staff would be slow playing too many guys?

I suspect they only take 1 DB. There are 11 guys returning after the 2021 season. For sure no more than 2.

They didn't go after him hard, no. Fisher is very big on fit no matter who it is. Everyone should know that by now.
So we did "go after him" just not "hard." Please tell is what that looks like. The conversation goes like, well, we are offering you a scholarship and all but we aren't going all in on this as you don't fit our pattern but if you say OK, then I guess we will make an exception.

Either they recruited him or they didn't. As for his size - Cam is 6', Noa is 5'11"

Last edited:
So we did "go after him" just not "hard." Please tell is what that looks like. The conversation goes like, well, we are offering you a scholarship and all but we aren't going all in on this as you don't fit our pattern but if you say OK, then I guess we will make an exception.

Either they recruited him or they didn't. As for his size - Cam is 6', Noa is 5'11"

How often per week they attempt to communicate with the recruit is the tell tale. The top targets get contacted every day and those lower on the board may only get on communication a week. He was never near the top of the board. It isn't hard to figure out.

I see the excuse machine is in full gear here. How about Indiana is a better program at this time and he chose to go there??? How about Frost better win this year or it’s the beginning of the end for him at Nebraska.

They “offer” like 300 kids a year, no excuses needed. It can be true that Frost has to win now and that “loosing” this recruit isn’t the end of the world.

They “offer” like 300 kids a year, no excuses needed. It can be true that Frost has to win now and that “loosing” this recruit isn’t the end of the world.
Agree, T-Fish knows who he wants...does he get them all? no. Do some of them leave? yes. But in the end this class is not going to be defined by a legacy 3 star kid.

Reactions: scarletred
we cooled...
Needs to change his Twitter banner

I know some people HATE the we cooled line, but it happens and is kind of obvious when it does. It seems like every time it has happened the last few years, we did in fact end up getting better kids.

Ya but Noa isn’t a corner..and yes they recruited him..

Once you get down to the 5'10'' to 5'9'' level for a corner you are going to get burned all season long in the Big Ten against those bigger WR's. In a conference like AAC you can get away with it, but in the Big Ten it will cost you wins.

The reason fans care about this kid is due to an uncle from 70's played at Nebraska. Otherwise he would just be another smaller sized DB going to a college football program.

Reactions: scarletred
Look, who the coaches offer is up to them. It's their business, expertise and their necks on the line if they don't work out.

When fans start saying who we really were/weren't after and it's OK they went somewhere else and they put out stuff about how we contacted and the number of times we contact only certain recruits so that's how you can tell if we are REALLY interested is hogwash. The coaches know and some players make it public, but not everyone knows this world beating information.

It's just a giant game of rationalization.

Kid looks 5'5'' 150 pounds with no skill. I know he is taller than 5'5'', but that is a small frame that would get eaten alive against the run games of the Big Ten West. He's no Coach Fisher body type that he recruits.

How often per week they attempt to communicate with the recruit is the tell tale. The top targets get contacted every day and those lower on the board may only get on communication a week. He was never near the top of the board. It isn't hard to figure out.
He was only #1 on our recruiting board for CBs and the face in the headline for HOL's big board on top defensive recruits. Not much serious interest in him at all.

He was only #1 on our recruiting board for CBs and the face in the headline for HOL's big board on top defensive recruits. Not much serious interest in him at all.

No way in hell was he #1 when he wasn't even communicated the most among DB targets.

People love to make a bigger deal out of Mond's recruitment than what the true reality of it actually was.

No way in hell was he #1 when he wasn't even communicated the most among DB targets.

People love to make a bigger deal out of Mond's recruitment than what the true reality of it actually was.
Thank goodness we have Newbies who know more than the paid writers of HOL!

You don’t have a clue what our recruiting board looks like. You honestly think Monds was on the top of the list? I know you are desperate to piss and moan, but this is a reach.

Secondary is the one position where I just trust that the guys we bring in will be fine. Same thing when Bo was here.

Reactions: headcard
Facts? Do you even know what that word means? These are not facts, you have zero clue what Nebraska’s recruiting board looks like. Serious question, did you just start following recruiting this year?
The paid analysts on these sites have relationships with the coaches & share things back & forth. They also talk to players & HS coaches. They have the best idea outside of the coaches what the big board looks like. If a paid analyst put together a big board, it’s of who he was told by sources within the program.

Reactions: artguy68
Facts? Do you even know what that word means? These are not facts, you have zero clue what Nebraska’s recruiting board looks like. Serious question, did you just start following recruiting this year?
So it is not a fact that HOL, who is paid to report on Husker recruiting, did not have Monds as the #1 CB on our board? Please. You are losing credibility fast.

The paid analysts on these sites have relationships with the coaches & share things back & forth. They also talk to players & HS coaches. They have the best idea outside of the coaches what the big board looks like. If a paid analyst put together a big board, it’s of who he was told by sources within the program.

With this staff it hasn’t worked like that. The staff is tight lipped and commits come seemingly out of nowhere and it happens over an over year after year. Look at Victor Jones this year. No one knew anything about us recruiting him and then it turns out the staff has been recruiting him for years.

So it is not a fact that HOL, who is paid to report on Husker recruiting, did not have Monds as the #1 CB on our board? Please. You are losing credibility fast.

You said he was #1 on Nebraska’s recruiting board, not that rivals had him there in an article. I replied that you have no idea what Nebraska’s recruiting board looks like, which you don't. I will ask again, is this the first year you have followed recruiting? Because you really seem clueless here.

Monds was all about Nebraska changing his social media to Nebraska stuff and staying Nebraska was his leader and analysts from all over predicted him to Nebraska. Then he talks about how Nebraska isn’t contacting him much and he ends up at Indiana.

This is just like when we “lost” Jaylin Noel only to end up with three better WR’s or when we “lost” on Marcus Mbow only to end up with three better OL.

Reactions: WHCSC
You said he was #1 on Nebraska’s recruiting board, not that rivals had him there in an article. I replied that you have no idea what Nebraska’s recruiting board looks like, which you don't. I will ask again, is this the first year you have followed recruiting? Because you really seem clueless here.

Monds was all about Nebraska changing his social media to Nebraska stuff and staying Nebraska was his leader and analysts from all over predicted him to Nebraska. Then he talks about how Nebraska isn’t contacting him much and he ends up at Indiana.

This is just like when we “lost” Jaylin Noel only to end up with three better WR’s or when we “lost” on Marcus Mbow only to end up with three better OL.
Try reading what I wrote again and then, if you are not a coward, apologize. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Try reading what I wrote again and then, if you are not a coward, apologize. Laughing Laughing Laughing

They don't get told who is on the board where. Coaches and staff are not allowed to talk about who they are recruiting to outsiders.

But you act like they know so much but yet they are so clueless at times (Mike Schafer the worst of them all) that they don't even know Nebraska is a recruiting a kid when it becomes public that a visit is scheduled or committed.

ADVERTISEMENT