ADVERTISEMENT

Its our QB!! Not the coach

gagedline

Senior
Jun 15, 2004
Guys..please stop being stupid about this...yes of course it's the head coach that needs to find a QB but for whatever reason he hasn't.

Go back and look at Frost's coach career..when he has a above average QB his offense rips up defenses...when he doesn't they all look like garbage!! Look at OR when Vernon Adams goes out of the game against TCU while up 30...they lose the game because the offense couldn't move.

All of our issues have been because we can't hit wide open wrs or stop turning the ball over.

If you can't see that then just stop posting.

You can't scheme against missing wide open wrs or turning the ball over after you have 5 seconds to throw it.

We need a new QB..frost should have gotten Burrow and then Milton..he has some sick loyalty to AM.

Guys..please stop being stupid about this...yes of course it's the head coach that needs to find a QB but for whatever reason he hasn't.

Go back and look at Frost's coach career..when he has a above average QB his offense rips up defenses...when he doesn't they all look like garbage!! Look at OR when Vernon Adams goes out of the game against TCU while up 30...they lose the game because the offense couldn't move.

All of our issues have been because we can't hit wide open wrs or stop turning the ball over.

You can't scheme against missing wide open wrs or turning the ball over after you have 5 seconds to throw it.

We need a new QB..frost should have gotten Burrow and then Milton..he has some sick loyalty to AM.
It's both. Frost is responsible for the QB. It's YEAR 4. He should have a competent replacement when his starter is not effective. (see Illinois)

You can now go back to the pay board and report that you've done your part to explain all this to the masses.

I agree 100%. But our coach has hitched his wagon to our QB and has to live with the results. CFB is a QB driven league and deciding to live with AM and what he has given us is beyond unacceptable.
This. Frost ran off Gebbia and McCaffrey and has refused to go transfer portal for a good QB. Our lack of a good QB is on Frost

It's the head coach, OP. Adrian has gotten worse since his first game against Colorado. It's been downhill ever since in all phases of the game besides the defensive improvements (not great, but better).

There's been zero sound, fundamental game played on offense the entire time Frost has been at Nebraska.

If you haven’t noticed, not only does Martinez suck but Frost has zero feel for calling plays. Zero. On top of that, our line is atrocious(again)…I mean did anybody see our run game today? And honestly, I can’t really fault Martinez. Can you imagine how little coaching he gets between the weirdo QB coach and Frost?

But yet, with all of the above the dolt we have running this program decided we are good at QB and didn’t even try to land a transfer. In addition, he could have very easily fired Greg Austin last year. But his buddies are more important than the Nebraska football program.

So you can't see that in year 4 the very fact that Martinez is still starting and failing as a starter all points back to the coach?

Is this post from 2019 or 2021?

I agree but now we have 2 quarterbacks that aren't any better and all of our hopes will be on an incoming freshman next year ? The O line has to get better somehow so we can at least run a little.

thats-bait-mad-max.gif

Not just the QB. Nebraska had better stats in nearly every category today, except average punt, and was down two TD's in the 4th quarter.

Martinez wasn't to blame for the poor run blocking, nor the backs running directly into the pile, nor the mistakes on special teams. AM Is the most obvious choice, because every offensive play starts with the ball in his hands, but there is more than enough blame to go around.

Partially right, but QBs didn’t cause ill timed penalties, bad snaps, poor special teams decisions and execution, and trying to pass on the last play of the first half when nothing good could come of it.

Those were all either coaching decisions or things that should be cleaned up by coaches in year 4.

Its the coach stupid.

Interesting theory. Is Martinez responsible for your Charlie Strongesque special teams play year after year under Frost?

It's both.

Our problems go well beyond the QB. TEs/receivers get very little separation (without bumps and offensive pi), the o-line is terrible, no running game, special teams are horrendous…I could go on.

Reactions: oldjar07
I am of the opinion that we would be a much better team if we had Bouserman calling plays. Then again, Frost has also been a nightmare leading this team as head coach. Right when CTB fielded the punt inside the one and then chucked it out of the endzone, I looked at my nephew next to me and just said "This is a Scott Frost team." Same stupid plays several years in. The exact same stupid stuff over and over several years in. Its a Scott Frost team. Watching it as a die hard Husker fan is infuriating.

After 4 years, I don't know that any amount of coaching is going to change Martinez. Beyond him, Veduzco hasn't had a single scholarship player for more than 2 years so who even knows whether our qb coach is worth a darn. Just cut the Matinez cord now and focus on the other 2.

Not a terrible take at face value, but the HEAD coach is responsible for recruiting, player progression, roster management, and all coaching positions on his squad. It's one reason why Saban returned to college. It's the same reason Urban is having trouble adjusting to the NFL. You control your football program as head coach. Everything is on your plate. Every successful dish, and every disgusting disappointment .

It's not about leaving the Big 12. It's not about bringing your buddies from UCF. It's not about your senior QB still not having a clue how to take care of the ball. All of those things can have an effect on the team, but that's just giving excuses to the head man in charge. Nebraska has sucked for years because they haven't hired a coach worth the lint in the bottom of their pockets. Stop looking for mulligans, and find the right guy. PJ Fleck has done more at Minnesota, and I think most would be shocked about that.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
If you haven’t noticed, not only does Martinez suck but Frost has zero feel for calling plays. Zero. On top of that, our line is atrocious(again)…I mean did anybody see our run game today? And honestly, I can’t really fault Martinez. Can you imagine how little coaching he gets between the weirdo QB coach and Frost?

But yet, with all of the above the dolt we have running this program decided we are good at QB and didn’t even try to land a transfer. In addition, he could have very easily fired Greg Austin last year. But his buddies are more important than the Nebraska football program.

There was a moment during Trev’s onboarding speech that he said he’d do what’s best for Nebraska, and that’s when I knew Frost was done

Reactions: drubendall
To be fair to 2AM he has had shitty OL's, no running game and bad play calling. Imo, he just sees ghosts now and still makes every decision difficult or usually wrong because he's mentally trying to hard or nervous. He needs to leave and find better/different coaching imo. If he hits 1/2 of those passes things would open up. On the flip side, our wr don't scare anybody.

Not just the QB. Nebraska had better stats in nearly every category today, except average punt, and was down two TD's in the 4th quarter.

Martinez wasn't to blame for the poor run blocking, nor the backs running directly into the pile, nor the mistakes on special teams. AM Is the most obvious choice, because every offensive play starts with the ball in his hands, but there is more than enough blame to go around.
Typically I would agree, but Martinez is not capable of playing at a good pace. His reaction and decision making time is atrocious, and the flow of the game is f'd for everyone involved. How many wide open receivers did he miss? I'm not talking about 30 yard misses. I am taking about the 10 yard dumps that my 13 year old son could hit with his eyes closed.

If I was Frost, I would tell Martinez "I am sorry to have to say this, but it's over. Thanks for everything you have done, but I have to go a different way. Try a new approach. I have given you plenty of time and ample opportunities to prove you can take that next step. It is evident that you can't. What I want to achieve here is not going to happen with you as our QB. You can leave now, or support your team for the rest of the season. It's your choice, and I wish nothing but the best for you in you future endeavors."

Could you imagine being a quarterback and have to watch Martinez play ahead of you? It's like his shit don't stink and can do no wrong. I don't care what back up quarterback you put in there, just give another one a shot to move forward!

Last edited:

It's not the coaches scheme that's the problem but it is the coaches responsibility to either motivate the QB or to replace him. If you stubbornly stick with the same QB it becomes your issue.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It's not the coaches scheme that's the problem ..
I don't like the scheme either personally.

I would rather see a ball control offense with a stingy defense than what we have now. Frost's offense only works when you have a superstar running it.

Could you imagine being a quarterback and have to watch Martinez play ahead of you?

Nope. No wonder they keep leaving.

Skill position guys, too.

Example: that pass to Stepp on our first TD drive yesterday. Safety bit big time and there was nobody left to stop Stepp from getting into the end zone untouched. Except for AM. Poorly thrown ball caused Stepp to make an awkward adjustment just to haul it in, which allowed the defense to flow over and get to him.

Last edited:

Don't be silly. Frost admitted they practiced and prepared to play against a three man front and Illinois played a four man. That's the coaching staff.

It's a combination of both. Frost has sucked as a play caller. As well as his inability to move on from 2am.

We would have a lot more wins despite the undisciplined football if we had a competent QB. Martinez doesn’t trust himself to drop back and deliver a strike. He only throws if the receiver is wide open, and then we have to hope it’s accurate.

But to say it’s not the coaches is stupid. His horrible play is on them, and the undisciplined football in all facets is obviously on them.

The inability to find a coach who could bring 17-23 year old guys out of 20 years of defeatist mindset and gauging the team temperature based on the current play is a systemic university failure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT