ADVERTISEMENT

It Might Actually Happen This Time

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when the power baseball conferences would be willing to concede one of their major advantages. But I guess the financial strain of this pandemic is forcing their collective hands to really look at their financial bottom lines and see how they can be successful together.

However, those are going to be some really hot CWS, NCAA tournament, and conference tournament games.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Looking at the sample schedule, it appears everything is being shifted about a month.

Nice, taking a step back, this is going to eliminate the general college sports dead period. Only a couple of weeks between the end of the CWS and the start of football fall camps, then it's football, overlap with the start of basketball, overlap with the start of baseball.

Reactions: Mike Matya
One issue they have not considered is Omaha’s downtown hotels usually book conferences years in advance. July being one of the biggest conference booking months of the year. The soonest this could realistically start at this point is probably 4-6 years from now because those conferences are usually under contract. Hopefully that is looked into otherwise hotel rooms will be tough to come by for a few years if it does indeed start in 2022.

One issue they have not considered is Omaha’s downtown hotels usually book conferences years in advance. July being one of the biggest conference booking months of the year. The soonest this could realistically start at this point is probably 4-6 years from now because those conferences are usually under contract. Hopefully that is looked into otherwise hotel rooms will be tough to come by for a few years if it does indeed start in 2022.
Or... AirBnB is going to hit the jackpot for a few weeks in Omaha that summer.

Regarding the teams, maybe Creighton would just have teams stay at the dorms? They are technically the host institution for the CWS.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Omaha will gladly disrupt almost everything else to bend to the wishes of the CWS. Which is fine by me.

A lot of push back, from those involved with summer leagues.
Which I get. But...

College baseball has the potential to help and invigorate the youth movement so desperately needed by the sport of baseball at this time.

Only problem now, it will no longer be too cold to go to games, instead now it will be too hot to go to games. I guess they'll have to start selling beer to help prevent all that potential heat stroke Winking

Okay I'll say it...
How will the B1G screw this one up?
Granted Delaney is gone and we got a new commissioner,
but usually the vibe coming out our conference's front offices (including the network), is that the college athletic season is over after March Madness.

As much as we see greater attendance, dollar signs, more network coverage, a better structure for the student athletes, and a more fair level of nation wide competition....
the front offices in Chicago may have other (vacation) plans.
Hope I'm proven wrong Smokin

Pardon me.
I must have had some pent up distress, I needed to release Laughing

This is huge for all of college baseball.
The Big Ten has always talked about
"moving the baseball season back"
since the day Nebraska joined the conference.
Except back then, the B1G was thinking about going at it completely alone.
We did not want to be left out of any NCAA play.
But if the whole NCAA were to change....
well now we're talking college baseball shangrala Eek

With coach Bakich and the grand master John Anderson leading a national change of thought, and reading how they've been in contact with our own conference as well as other conferences, should give us some faith that everyone is on board with taking the next steps.
Which is pretty dang exciting when you think of the possibilities.

Pardon me.
I must have had some pent up distress, I needed to release Laughing

This is huge for all of college baseball.
The Big Ten has always talked about
"moving the baseball season back"
since the day Nebraska joined the conference.
Except back then, the B1G was thinking about going at it completely alone.
We did not want to be left out of any NCAA play.
But if the whole NCAA were to change....
well now we're talking college baseball shangrala Eek

With coach Bakich and the grand master John Anderson leading a national change of thought, and reading how they've been in contact with our own conference as well as other conferences, should give us some faith that everyone is on board with taking the next steps.
Which is pretty dang exciting when you think of the possibilities.
John “Loser” Anderson gets zero credit. It was his ridiculous idea for the Big Ten to secede from NCAA play.

I hope we continue to spend the first 3 weekends on the road, against quality competition. Not sure 9 straight road games games against teams that ended up with a combined record of 55-25, is the best way to open up a season but hopefully we can keep a competitive opening going forward.

2020 was brutal. Looking forward to seeing what the current staff does with their first opportunity to actually schedule.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT