ADVERTISEMENT

It just doesn’t stop...

We got on Callahan for not winning more with the players he had inherited. Same with Riley. Why are we making excuses for Frost? We all know it's a rebuild of our storied program. However, many of us believe that good coaching should win more than 4-5 games a year.
I certainly didn't get on Callahan that first year. I was a Frank fan, but the HORRIBLE O line and skill position recruiting was obvious. I KNEW BC didn't have a QB and had very marginal talent on offense. The D should have been a little better probably, but I gave Callahan all kinds of slack because of how little he had to work with on the O line and at QB. Joe Dailey was just plain bad.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I certainly didn't get on Callahan that first year. I was a Frank fan, but the HORRIBLE O line and skill position recruiting was obvious. I KNEW BC didn't have a QB and had very marginal talent on offense. The D should have been a little better probably, but I gave Callahan all kinds of slack because of how little he had to work with on the O line and at QB. Joe Dailey was just plain bad.

In today's world, Cally would have taken a transfer qb out of the portal.

Reactions: 8675309husker
Frost apparently made the decision that he wanted to build his program starting with a freshman QB who he would have for 4 years. Hindsight that was probably a mistake but it is also a mistake lots of other coaches might have made. Hindsight is 20/20. I would have snatched up Burrow in a heartbeat just based on what I saw from him against us in ONE quarter of work in mop up time.
my son was living in knoxville at the time Frost was hired and flipped Adrian. he said their staff was quoted as being very disappointed, as they thought he’d really turn their fortunes around. there mighta been a few 2nd guessers around here, but most were onboard. hindsight is low hanging fruit for complainers.

Watch an LSU game. Chase, Jefferson, and the rest of LSU’s receivers are ridiculous. Look at the separation those guys get. If Adrian Martinez played at LSU this season, he would have done just as well as Joe Burrow. This will come to fruition as Nebraska adds more talent to the receiving corps IMO. It wouldn’t have made any sense to add Joe Burrow to Nebraska’s quarterback room.

LSU would have at least 3 losses with AM at quarterback this year.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Like I said, agree to disagree. I feel that much of Martinez struggle was a result of his lack of weapons. I feel that much of Burrow’s success was a result of his plethora of weapons. It is what it is. Let’s just see where we are at in a year from now if the WR room goes through a major upgrade. By then, we probably won’t care to revisit this thread.

Like I said, agree to disagree. I feel that much of Martinez struggle was a result of his lack of weapons. I feel that much of Burrow’s success was a result of his plethora of weapons. It is what it is. Let’s just see where we are at in a year from now if the WR room goes through a major upgrade. By then, we probably won’t care to revisit this thread.

Against Alabama, Texas, and Auburn Burrow averaged 395 yards passing a game with 8 touchdowns to 2 interceptions. They won those 3 games by a combined 13 points give or take a point. Anyone that thinks AM would even remotely come close to that against those teams is delusional.

Against Alabama, Texas, and Auburn Burrow averaged 395 yards passing a game with 8 touchdowns to 2 interceptions. They won those 3 games by a combined 13 points give or take a point. Anyone that thinks AM would even remotely come close to that against those teams is delusional.
I disagree. I think there are a lot of quarterbacks that could do what Burrow did with that supporting cast.
The two scenarios (Martinez playing for LSU or Burrow playing for Nebraska) are hypothetical. I don’t know if people realize how talented those WRs are, or how good of a playcaller/ play designer Joe Brady is. You can call me delusional. That is your way of agreeing to disagree.

I disagree. I think there are a lot of quarterbacks that could do what Burrow did with that supporting cast.
The two scenarios (Martinez playing for LSU or Burrow playing for Nebraska) are hypothetical. I don’t know if people realize how talented those WRs are, or how good of a playcaller/ play designer Joe Brady is. You can call me delusional. That is your way of agreeing to disagree.

Sure there are quite a few qbs in college today that would have set SEC records this year like Burrow....RollingLaugh

Ok. Say we are playing a football game.
Team A consists of:
Ja’Marr Chase
Terrace Marshall
Justin Jefferson
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Randy Moss’ kid
And at Quarterback, Joe Burrow

Team B consists of:
JD Spielman
Wandale Robinson
Kade Warner
Dedrick Mills
Jack Stoll
And Adrian Martinez

They play pickup football in the back yard.
Team A is winning 42-0 about 10 minutes in.

So everyone decides ‘we need to even the teams out and make it fair. Let’s trade Adrian for Joe’.

By your logic, you are telling me that Team B with Joe would hang with Team A with Adrian?

If you think that’s it, it ain’t.

Sure there are quite a few qbs in college today that would have set SEC records this year like Burrow....RollingLaugh

Ok. Let’s not even make this about Adrian.

Here’s how ‘delusional’ I am....
Nate Stanley would put up similar numbers at LSU as Burrow.

Unpopular take I know. I kind of feel like Max Kellerman, but I do believe it.

Ok. Say we are playing a football game.
Team A consists of:
Ja’Marr Chase
Terrace Marshall
Justin Jefferson
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Randy Moss’ kid
And at Quarterback, Joe Burrow

Team B consists of:
JD Spielman
Wandale Robinson
Kade Warner
Dedrick Mills
Jack Stoll
And Adrian Martinez

They play pickup football in the back yard.
Team A is winning 42-0 about 10 minutes in.

So everyone decides ‘we need to even the teams out and make it fair. Let’s trade Adrian for Joe’.

By your logic, you are telling me that Team B with Joe would hang with Team A with Adrian?

If you think that’s it, it ain’t.

You need to take those Big Red goggles off. You're comparing the Heisman Trophy winner and probable number one pick with a guy that had 10 tds and 9 ints this year. RollingLaugh

To me it’s more about decision making. At Maryland Adrian should have had 3 end-zone picks instead of the one he did throw. I could go on.

That said I would love to say boy was I wrong next season.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
You need to take those Big Red goggles off. You're comparing the Heisman Trophy winner and probable number one pick with a guy that had 10 tds and 9 ints this year. RollingLaugh

You aren’t paying attention. Do you think that great statistics are only put up by great quarterbacks? Do you think that poor statistics are put up only by bad quarterbacks? You aren’t understanding the discussion. You are arguing that Joe Burrow has a better season than Adrian Martinez. Yes, he did! You are correct. That does not mean flipping the quarterbacks to the opposite roster would bring Joe Burrow’s LSU stats to Nebraska, or Adrian’s stats to LSU. You are failing to identify that there are other contributing variables to quarterback statistics than just talent.

Reactions: Yossarian23
We got on Callahan for not winning more with the players he had inherited. Same with Riley. Why are we making excuses for Frost? We all know it's a rebuild of our storied program. However, many of us believe that good coaching should win more than 4-5 games a year.
So agree with your statement...I could have won us a game or two more the past two seasons. Less so last year since it would have been my first year as a coach and a tougher schedule last season, but we left two/three winnable games on the table this year. Let’s just say it was one more victory I could have led us to this year by learning from my past mistakes - that would mean a bowl game and more practices and recruiting exposure this year. My point? I could have won one more game for us this year so why can’t the chosen one learn more from his miscalculations.

Lots of kids in the past who really wanted to go to Nebraska just walked on if they couldn't get the schollie. Door was open for that. His deal was actually "I wanted to go to Nebraska IF . . . " So why harp on it. Anyway, congrats to him on an outstanding season.

So agree with your statement...I could have won us a game or two more the past two seasons. Less so last year since it would have been my first year as a coach and a tougher schedule last season, but we left two/three winnable games on the table this year. Let’s just say it was one more victory I could have led us to this year by learning from my past mistakes - that would mean a bowl game and more practices and recruiting exposure this year. My point? I could have won one more game for us this year so why can’t the chosen one learn more from his miscalculations.
I agree that Frost needs to learn from his mistakes, but it’s also posts like this that bring out the sunshine pumpers... I will say there is no way you are a better coach than Frost. To win that one game is more than fixing a play or two in one of the close games we lost. It’s not simply saying to AM “Don’t go out of bounds” against Iowa. It’s calling the entire game.

Are you saying you would have called the entire game better, leading to a victory in one of those losses? I don’t know you, so I can’t say you wouldn’t, but my gut tells me if you called an entire game with what we had this year, we lose big in those games.

No way for me to know, of course, just what my gut tells me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT