ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't Scott Frost, it is Nebraska.

Solana Beach Husker

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008
The national narrative, and the narrative within programs is that Scott Frost is a great coach. He went undefeated when placed at an inferior school but with good talent. His coaching staff is also responsible for that success. He is the national coach of the year.

Nationally it is Nebraska that is the problem. The view is that the area is backwards thinking, has no talent, and has little innovation outside fans showing up mindlessly to games. The narrative is going to be "If Scott Frost can't fix it, nobody can". Nebraska fans think we have this shining jewel that coaches have ruined while the national narrative has become that Nebraska is the place that coaches go to die. This is dangerous and worrying, and all you negative nancies better hope he gets this thing done because every fired coach just pushes this perception.

Last edited:
The national narrative, and the narrative within programs is that Scott Frost is a great coach. He went undefeated when placed at an inferior school but with good talent. His coaching staff is also responsible for that success. He is the national coach of the year.

Nationally it is Nebraska that is the problem. The view is that the area is backwards thinking, has no talent, and has little innovation outside fans showing up mindlessly to games. The narrative is going to be "If Scott Frost can't fix it, nobody can". Nebraska fans think we have this shining jewel that coaches have ruined while the national narrative has become that Nebraska is the place that coaches go to die. This is dangerous and worrying, and all you negative nancies better hope he gets this thing done because every fired coach just pushes this perception.
The frustrating part will be watching SF learn on the job.

Pelini won 9-10 games every year for 7 years, and he can't even win at an FCS program now. People said a trained monkey could win 9 games here. The Big Ten west is one of the easiest divisions in P5 College Football, possibly the easiest when you look at recruiting rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The frustrating part will be watching SF learn on the job.

Yes, and that was expected. Only 2 years as a head coach before coming here. That is extremely young as a head coach at the P5 level.

I would argue we will not know what Frost becomes for at least another 5 or 7 years. By then he will have cycled through an entire class (freshman to graduation) and everything system wise will be built with a solid foundation and culture.

Im curious what the narrative would be if the game goes to overtime and the Huskers pull out the win. Frost would have been given great credit for the bowl game, program turnaround, and probably would be ranked preseason again next year. It’s amazing that 3 points can change a programs entire narrative.

Pelini won 9-10 games every year for 7 years, and he can't even win at an FCS program now. People said a trained monkey could win 9 games here. The Big Ten west is one of the easiest divisions in College Football, possibly the easiest when you look at recruiting rankings.

The big 10 west is the easiest division? Minny, Wisc and Iowa all in the top 15 or 20. Seems like you might be a little dramatic on that.

Im curious what the narrative would be if the game goes to overtime and the Huskers pull out the win. Frost would have been given great credit for the bowl game, program turnaround, and probably would be ranked preseason again next year. It’s amazing that 3 points can change a programs entire narrative.
The narrative has emerged because losing in close, one score games, is something we have done regularly in the past two years. We can’t seem to get over the hump. We are always a smidge away from winning, but then we don’t.

But that is actually what gives me hope. With even modest improvement we would have beaten CU, Purdue, Indiana, and Iowa. Had we won those we would be 9-3. We damn well may have beaten Wisconsin too.

3 games we lost by 4 points or less. 1 by 7

BS. I lived in LA and went to college there, lived now in SoFL for 12 years, Nebraska has a lot of respect from fans everywhere. You are pushing your liberal bias unto a Program and bringing up "known" issues while avoiding the fact Scott Frost has been an unmitigated disaster up to this point.

Unless he somehow starts connecting with kids and convincing them to sign, I would expect more of the same.

It's always "Next Man Up" in football. If Nebraska has any perception, it's hiring coaches who can't get it done and fans who expect more and show up in support of the cause regardless.

Backwards thinking? Lol. Liberal bias from a bleeding heart and those are your words, not mine. Keep politics out of the discussion.

Reactions: Bruce1981
The big 10 west is the easiest division? Minny, Wisc and Iowa all in the top 15 or 20. Seems like you might be a little dramatic on that.

Typically yes, it is the easiest division, especially when you look at recruiting rankings. None of the other teams ever finish in the Top 25 in recruiting. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa all played pretty cupcake schedules this year. Only Wisconsin had to play Ohio State, and they got crushed. They all played an easy non-conference schedule.

For one thing we need patience in him and his staff recruiting his type of players for more than just a couple of years...

He also has to figure out what works and what doesn’t work on both sides of the ball in the B1G conference..

Benching a QB who can't get it done works. It's like he remembers the UCF game forever. Underneathe Scott's facade is a stubborn person who believes his own press clippings.

Typically yes, it is the easiest division, especially when you look at recruiting rankings. None of the other teams ever finish in the Top 25 in recruiting. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa all played pretty cupcake schedules this year. Only Wisconsin had to play Ohio State, and they got crushed. They all played an easy non-conference schedule.

Pretty sure the actual rankings don't take into account recruiting rankings.

It's why the play the game.

It’s Scott Frost’s loser ass staff that’s filled with a bunch of coaches from community colleges.

If Scott Frost wanted a DC who believed in playing zone in the appropriate situations, he would have hired him at UCF. Or he could demand that Chins do so. But HCSF is not a zone guy (as are few football coaches).

You are right. We need this to work. We need to support HCSF and he needs to evolve and grow as a coach.

you kidding me? The sellout streak has continued, selling out spring games, giving him every resource he wanted for recruiting. It’s his coaching that’s been exposed- the talent he had at UCF (that he didn’t recruit) has proven to be the difference. I believe there are 8 players off that undefeated season in the NFL

Pretty sure the actual rankings don't take into account recruiting rankings.

It's why the play the game.

Do you think Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin would still be in the Top 15 if they played in the Big Ten East? Or the SEC or Big 12? They might be able to compete in the ACC Coastal or the Pac-12 North this year, but put them in any other P5 division, and they would all have at least 3-4 losses.

the National narrative on Nebraska is silence. No one respects our program anymore. They love the nostalgia but that’s where it ends. No one thinks one way or another. If there is some kind of consensus on our program needs to make Scott Its ride or die, it’s because they think we are a hopeless cause. And maybe we are

the narrative inside the program better think Scott is their Ride or Die cause he is. If Scott fails then the program failed and everyone tied to it

you kidding me? The sellout streak has continued, selling out spring games, giving him every resource he wanted for recruiting. It’s his coaching that’s been exposed- the talent he had at UCF (that he didn’t recruit) has proven to be the difference. I believe there are 8 players off that undefeated season in the NFL
I am not kidding, we need to continue to support him and we need this thing to work. Also, you are way off on the UCF talent:

Milton, recruited by Frost
Killins, recruited by Frost
Anderson, recruited by Frost
Hughes, recruited by Frost
Williams, recruited by Frost
Hill, moves from OL to NT, became a NFL player.
Griffin, moved from safety to OLB, became a NFL player.

About the only impactful players he didn’t recruit or move to a position to be more successful were Smith and Aikins.

I would go with five.
To me it would all depend on how well the team played, even in our losses, and how competitive we were. I would also look at recruiting. So if by year four we are still losing every close game, still getting blown out by the better teams, still playing terrible special teams, still playing the wrong QB, and our recruiting starts to suffer because of it, then you have to let him go before five years I think.
If Frost’s team in year four is still playing like this year’s team, that would be a bad sign.

Fortunately, I don’t think that will happen. I truly think by year four we will start to see very positive signs.

Do you think Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin would still be in the Top 15 if they played in the Big Ten East? Or the SEC or Big 12? They might be able to compete in the ACC Coastal or the Pac-12 North this year, but put them in any other P5 division, and they would all have at least 3-4 losses.

So you say they are the worst division and then go on to say they would be competitive in multiple divisions.

Reactions: pkongsh
I’ll be far more critical next season. This year is just disappointing. He better get it figured out because next year won’t be as forgiving, sadly. Another losing season and the media will turn on him and churn out stories of him being a bust, almost forcing Nebraska’s hand.

A good coach would have got us 8-9 wins this year and not make excuses. He may end up being the best coach ever but you’re lying to yourself if you’re saying he’s been good here.

I don’t care about who he recruits. He needs to get players to buy in and function like the upper-tier teams do in the B1G West or they’ll own him as long as he’s here

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Before he gets players to buy in he is going to have to learn how to treat all the players the same. No different sets of rules for different players for example. Favortism has to end and he has to start playing the best players at all position regardless of most anything except violation of team rules. And those rules have to be enforced the same on all players!

Reactions: Bruce1981
For one thing we need patience in him and his staff recruiting his type of players for more than just a couple of years...

He also has to figure out what works and what doesn’t work on both sides of the ball in the B1G conference..

I agree, but he also gets paid more than enough to quickly learn what every fan can see when the swing passes aren’t working (combined w/ Mills early success running but still avoiding giving him touches- then proving the point in the second half when he finally adapted). Continuing to attempt the awful swing plays all season makes us question his adaptability.

I still think Frost can develop into a good coach given time, but I would say this year exposed him as not ready to be a great coach.
It’s been hard to distinguish the blurred line between talent and coaching this year, but most all of us seem to agree the failures have been a combination of both.
Missing bowl practices for third year is an unfortunate penalty when trying to develop the young roster.
There’s a lot of off season work that needs to happen to develop the team.

Lol. I understand, you're going thru a tough time and that takes a toll on one's mental faculties.

What is this fetish with recruiting rankings and what does it say when a team like Iowa routinely has recruiting classes in the 35-50 range but consistently puts as many or more players in the NFL than any other team in the BIG? This includes 2 first round picks last year and potentially a couple more in the next draft, with all 4 of these players being underclassmen. It takes more than recruiting talent, it has to be developed as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonerfarts
What is this fetish with recruiting rankings and what does it say when a team like Iowa routinely has recruiting classes in the 35-50 range but consistently puts as many or more players in the NFL than any other team in the BIG? 2 first round picks last year and potentially a couple more in the next draft, with all 4 of these players being underclassmen. It takes more than recruiting talent, it has to be developed as well.
It takes both.

Reactions: tpmcg
What is this fetish with recruiting rankings and what does it say when a team like Iowa routinely has recruiting classes in the 35-50 range but consistently puts as many or more players in the NFL than any other team in the BIG? This includes 2 first round picks last year and potentially a couple more in the next draft, with all 4 of these players being underclassmen. It takes more than recruiting talent, it has to be developed as well.

There is a very strong correlation between recruiting rankings and on-field results. No team has made the National Championship game without recruiting at a Top 10 level.

Iowa has done a good job of developing players, but doesn't have anything in the trophy case to show for it. Your best team ever got humiliated by Stanford. Great teams need to recruit great players and develop them. Our current staff hasn't shown they can do either.

Reactions: headcard
BS. I lived in LA and went to college there, lived now in SoFL for 12 years, Nebraska has a lot of respect from fans everywhere. You are pushing your liberal bias unto a Program and bringing up "known" issues while avoiding the fact Scott Frost has been an unmitigated disaster up to this point.

Unless he somehow starts connecting with kids and convincing them to sign, I would expect more of the same.

It's always "Next Man Up" in football. If Nebraska has any perception, it's hiring coaches who can't get it done and fans who expect more and show up in support of the cause regardless.

Backwards thinking? Lol. Liberal bias from a bleeding heart and those are your words, not mine. Keep politics out of the discussion.
How the hell did you manage to turn this into a liberal vs conservative argument?

My advice to you: stay in Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT