ADVERTISEMENT

It is really beginning to sink-in

So he took the B1G adults (athletes) decision from them and that’s ok? Do you not see how you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Please reread your post and correct the idiocy.
Warren acts on the authority of university presidents on this issue. I thought that was understood..... and yes, university presidents have the right to take the decision whether or not to play away from the players.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Warren acts on the authority of university presidents on this issue. I thought that was understood..... and yes, university presidents have the right to take the decision whether or not to play away from the players.

Warren has handled this poorly, and deserves all the backlash he receives along with presidents. He’s hiding the presidents votes, so he gets to receive the backlash. Maybe he will start to crack and will reveal the votes... I doubt it though.

there are many, many reports that he's acted on his own accord with regards to leading this decision.

that's very different from acting on their authority, if true.

Reactions: timnsun
The athletes wants sports you clown. How dumb can you be. I hope you’re enjoying your $27k a year.

I make considerably more than $27k/year. The athletes also want to stay healthy. This is a pandemic for which nobody knows if we ever find a cure or vaccine.

there are many, many reports that he's acted on his own accord with regards to leading this decision.

that's very different from acting on their authority, if true.
He may have exerted influence, he may have bamboozled them, whatever. Bottom line: he doesn't have a vote on the matter nor does he have the final say - that rests with the university presidents.

Sidenote: early reports indicated that the recommendations presented by the B10's Covid-19 medical task force had quite a bit of influence. My guess is that the legal opinions were strongly considered also.

He may have exerted influence, he may have bamboozled them, whatever. Bottom line: he doesn't have a vote on the matter nor does he have the final say - that rests with the university presidents.

Sidenote: early reports indicated that the recommendations presented by the B10's Covid-19 medical task force had quite a bit of influence. My guess is that the legal opinions were strongly considered also.
plenty of reports that nobody had a 'vote', including citation in the current players' lawsuit.

I highly doubt Warren had the most influence on the decision, but his active participation in having *ANY* influence is directly in opposition to his role as mouthpiece for presidents.

I don't understand why anyone would bend over backwards to ignore these reports and carry water for this man and his agenda.

EDIT: from @cubsker's article posted above:

What happened going into the final meeting with Warren and the presidents is 4-5 presidents were in favor of playing football this year, 4-5 were against the idea of playing, and the rest were somewhere in the middle. Jeff Snook was the first to report this information and it jibes with what I’ve been told since. Warren was able to get the presidents who were on the fence on his side. An official vote was never taken, which is an amazing detail in its own right and another illustration of how terribly mismanaged this situation was by Warren, but suddenly there was a slight majority of Big Ten presidents who were against playing football this fall. Warren was the one who directed the ship right into the iceberg.

doesn't exactly sound like acting on the presidents' authority, with no say of his own, to me.

plenty of reports that nobody had a 'vote', including citation in the current players' lawsuit.

I highly doubt Warren had the most influence on the decision, but his active participation in having *ANY* influence is directly in opposition to his role as mouthpiece for presidents.

I don't understand why anyone would bend over backwards to ignore these reports and carry water for this man and his agenda.
I'm not defending Warren - his public communications have been seriously lacking. I'm just not willing to assign primary blame for the b10's decision to postpone the season upon his back.

I'm not defending Warren - his public communications have been seriously lacking. I'm just not willing to assign primary blame for the b10's decision to postpone the season upon his back.
despite reports of his active involvement?

fair enough. plenty of blame to go around to university presidents, as well. I won't argue there.

let's not forget this little tidbit:

the medical report that the Big Ten cited as its main reason for calling off the season (that coronavirus can cause the heart condition myocarditis, or make it exponentially worse) has since been retracted.

This is what frustrates me the most. It should frustrate everyone, Black, White, Democrat or Republican This goes for all large corporations and government. That a few top people with tons of money know what is best for everyone else. That their opinions and thoughts matter more than ours. That they get to decided how we live our lives or in many cases, can't live our lives.
In this situation the decisions should have been left up to the player and the coaches. If players or coaches felt too afraid to play then they don't have to. Don't take everyone else options away because a few people are afraid.

Left up to the players and coaches, who almost certainly have no knowledge of pandemics. That makes sense. :rolleyes: If it were up to players and coaches, they would fill the stadiums with fans too, which would be as moronic as it gets.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Have been trying to understand the thought process here.

It's not about saving the lives of college aged kids.

For every college athlete that has been killed by COVID, I can post one that's been killed by any number of things we do every day, but we continue to do them (with precautions) even though they kill people.

So, apparently, it's about saving other people.

Fair enough, Good concern.

How does keeping healthy people from competing in sports save other people?

Because corona virus can be spread person to person asymptomatically, whether direct person to person contact or via aerosols.

Fair enough. Good concern.

Has the world ever seen anything that can be spread asymptomatically in the same exact manner, and kills huge numbers of people?

Why, yes. Interestingly enough, influenza has been around for thousands of years. It's spread person to person via various modes of transmission very similar to how corona spreads.

It's spread in huge numbers by symptomatic as well as asymptomatic carriers. Flu is readily spread by people with no symptoms.

And it, too, kills massive amounts of people.

50,000 - 80,000 in this country alone annually, depending on the source you use.

And how was it spread in 2019? and 2018? and in the '90's, and '80's and '70's and '60's as millions perished in an open, maskless, and non-socially-distanced society?

By symptomatic and asymptomatic carriers. At football games. And schools. And by students. And by athletes. And at church. And by fat guys in the stands. And in local hardware stores. And at Walmart. And in the BIG conference offices. And in meetings held by chancellors and school presidents.

Those people took their influenza germs home with them, went to a nursing home to visit someone, and it was lights out for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people.

And we played football. With stands full of people. And performed many other activities. Even though lives were at stake. Even though it was -- literally -- killing people.

Fantastic. Another braintrust comparing Covid-19 to the seasonal flu. This is exhibit A why people without clinical knowledge shouldn't be making decisions on college sports.

Left up to the players and coaches, who almost certainly have no knowledge of pandemics. That makes sense. :rolleyes: If it were up to players and coaches, they would fill the stadiums with fans too, which would be as moronic as it gets.

Players are more likely to die from a lightning strike than Covid.

Coaches? A bit worse. A normal every year flu season

We'll sit on the sidelines cuz smart people like yourself tell us so, while statistics scream the other way.

This is what frustrates me the most. It should frustrate everyone, Black, White, Democrat or Republican This goes for all large corporations and government. That a few top people with tons of money know what is best for everyone else. That their opinions and thoughts matter more than ours. That they get to decided how we live our lives or in many cases, can't live our lives.
In this situation the decisions should have been left up to the player and the coaches. If players or coaches felt too afraid to play then they don't have to. Don't take everyone else options away because a few people are afraid.
Stop voting for Democrats.

Will you be back here to eat crow if ACC, Big 12 and SEC have safe and successful seasons?

Reactions: bshirt73
Fantastic. Another braintrust comparing Covid-19 to the seasonal flu. This is exhibit A why people without clinical knowledge shouldn't be making decisions on college sports.

Awesome. A rocket scientist unable to comprehend what's being compared offering criticism of others.

Players are more likely to die from a lightning strike than Covid.

Coaches? A bit worse. A normal every year flu season

We'll sit on the sidelines cuz smart people like yourself tell us so, while statistics scream the other way.

Once again you're thinking with your heart and not your head. Ever considered thinking outside of football players? Good Lord.

I've said if they are dumb enough to bring students back to campuses, then football players should be able to play. They pose much less risk than an entire campus of students.

But we also know why colleges brought students back. So they could get that tuition check in the bank before they cancelled all on-campus classes in October.

Football would be a risk, but by comparison, bringing students back to campus and allowing fans in games in large numbers would shut down the economy again. And when campuses close down again, you'll understand why.

Yes, you should clearly be sitting on the sidelines during this conversation.

Last edited:
The conservative Democrat party is long gone. It is now far far left liberal nut jobs who hate America. If it's not right, it's wrong. 4 more years!!
Unfortunately the conservative Democrats are to slow to realize that their party has been hijacked. They will willingly follow along to slaughter, when they do realized they have been used and fooled it will be to late.

Sing me up to be the first moron in line.

Hey Van Winkle, have you been sleeping the last 6 months? 20+ times more deadly than the seasonal flu.

Oh, I forgot...there are

Once again you're thinking with your heart and not your head. Ever considered thinking outside of football players? Good Lord.

I've said if they are dumb enough to bring students back to campuses, then football players should be able to play. They pose much less risk than an entire campus of students.

But we also know why colleges brought students back. So they could get that tuition check in the bank before they cancelled all on-campus classes in October.

Football would be a risk, but by comparison, bringing students back to campus and allowing fans in games in large numbers would shut down the economy again. And when campuses close down again, you'll understand why.

Yes, you should clearly be sitting on the sidelines during this conversation.

Enjoy the stats and the read of reality.

https://twitter.com/kylelamb8

Stick to peddling your drugs. Those of us WITH clinical knowledge know that COVID statistically for a college aged kid is very similar to the flu in it's risks. Obviously we have a vaccine for the flu which offers some protection for those who choose to take it. I would guess that far less than 50% of college students get a flu vaccination. Statistics for that exact age group are difficult to find. I did see one estimate that the CFR for young adults from influenza is estimated at roughly .6%(seems really high). IF that is accurate, that is MUCH higher than the CFR for young adults from COVID.

Last edited:
Awesome. A rocket scientist unable to comprehend what's being compared offering criticism of others.

Have you even begun to consider the difference between the two viruses? Apparently not, because if you did you would understand that we not only have a yearly vaccine for the flu, but we all have previous exposure to the flu throughout our lives. We also have 5 different antivirals approved for the flu that are much more effective than remdesivir is for Covid-19.

We have nothing other than a medication indicated for Ebola that reduces hospital stay by 4 days, and other meds being used off label for Covid-19 Other than that we have masks, social distancing, and washing our hands.

This BS of comparing the mortality rates of Covid-19 and the seasonal flu needs to stop. Covid is MUCH more dangerous right now than the flu.

Have you even begun to consider the difference between the two viruses? Apparently not, because if you did you would understand that we not only have a yearly vaccine for the flu, but we all have previous exposure to the flu throughout our lives. We also have 5 different antivirals approved for the flu that are much more effective than remdesivir is for Covid-19.

We have nothing other than a medication indicated for Ebola that reduces hospital stay by 4 days, and other meds being used off label for Covid-19 Other than that we have masks, social distancing, and washing our hands.

This BS of comparing the mortality rates of Covid-19 and the seasonal flu needs to stop. Covid is MUCH more dangerous right now than the flu.
For me COVID is much more dangerous than influenza. For college aged kids the statistics do not support your statement. After all, we are talking about Husker football right? Interestingly, thousands of high schools and colleges who don't depend on football for income are still going back to in person classes. Widespread testing of students as they've arrived on campus has revealed......widespread COVID infections. Gee imagine that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT