ADVERTISEMENT

It is really beginning to sink-in

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
that there really isn’t going to be any football this Fall. And that just really, really sucks.

I was visiting an old friend in Allentown last night and he is a huge PSU fan. I asked him what the mood of PSU fans is right now. His answer? “Total outrage.”

Really depressing that this decision was made by a small handful of elitist assholes.

that there really isn’t going to be any football this Fall. And that just really, really sucks.

I was visiting an old friend in Allentown last night and he is a huge PSU fan. I asked him what the mood of PSU fans is right now. His answer? “Total outrage.”

Really depressing that this decision was made by a small handful of elitist assholes.

This is what frustrates me the most. It should frustrate everyone, Black, White, Democrat or Republican This goes for all large corporations and government. That a few top people with tons of money know what is best for everyone else. That their opinions and thoughts matter more than ours. That they get to decided how we live our lives or in many cases, can't live our lives.
In this situation the decisions should have been left up to the player and the coaches. If players or coaches felt too afraid to play then they don't have to. Don't take everyone else options away because a few people are afraid.

This is what frustrates me the most. It should frustrate everyone, Black, White, Democrat or Republican This goes for all large corporations and government. That a few top people with tons of money know what is best for everyone else. That their opinions and thoughts matter more than ours. That they get to decided how we live our lives or in many cases, can't live our lives.
In this situation the decisions should have been left up to the player and the coaches. If players or coaches felt too afraid to play then they don't have to. Don't take everyone else options away because a few people are afraid.

If you don't think these "top people with tons of money" don't take into consideration all the restaurants and businesses that thrive because of football/ sports, you're out of your mind.

This is a very serious medical situation. End of story.

Same here.

Leaves are starting to fall. I'm supposed to be getting fired up about playing Northwest Eastern South Louisiana State this weekend and getting the tailgate ready. :(

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If you don't think these "top people with tons of money" don't take into consideration all the restaurants and businesses that thrive because of football/ sports, you're out of your mind.

End of story huh? So will you back here to eat crow after SEC, ACC and Big 12 have successful, healthy seasons?

Oh and Kevin Warren already said financial impact wasn’t a factor in their decision... so your first part is incorrect.

If you think it's frustrating now, wait till everyone else figures out how to play a season, post season, and crown a champ.

PAC 12 was looking to cancel their season long ago so they didn't have to deal with riots and campuses burning down this fall. BIG tossed em a huge bone going first.

End of story huh? So will you back here to eat crow after SEC, ACC and Big 12 have successful, healthy seasons?

Oh and Kevin Warren already said financial impact wasn’t a factor in their decision... so your first part is incorrect.

Why should I eat crow? Lives are at stake.

As far as my first part being incorrect, the post I replied to should not even mentioned "top people with tons of money". FWIW, I don't have tons of money.

All you need know is that they know better, now shut up.

As far as my first part being incorrect, the post I replied to should not even mentioned "top people with tons of money". FWIW, I don't have tons of money.
The same people who made the decision to cancel football are having zero issue accepting check after check for room & board at their schools this semester.

If this was a serious medical condition, the rules would apply universally.

Those same administrators, right now, have campuses jammed full of kids. And dorms (room and board is more than tuition in some places) jammed full of kids.

Lives are at stake.

And the few that sent kids home so they're not going to die -- waited until after the fall enrollment checks cashed, and kids showed up on campus, in order to do so. Which greatly limits the options anyone has.

Even though lives are at stake.

USA=Soft. Leaders function scared today....not gonna make a political statement, but scared across the board with how situations are approached and discussed and decided on

tenor.gif

That is most frustrating part of all of this. The decision was made by liberal academics who hate sports. The decision should have been made by the ADs.

Yeah! Let the conservative Republicans who love sports make the decisions, not the liberal academics who hate sports! It’s that simple!

This whole thing is a mess.

Reactions: chicolby
plenty of high school football across the country, too.

oh, and the first FCS game of the season kicks off on Saturday (7pm, ESPN).

Plenty of high school football that only 4 members of the family can attend...I normally go to some high school games on Friday night... Not this year.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Not only lower, but somebody under the age of 30 has a much better chance of death from a lightning strike than Covid.

This isn't about the 'kids'. This is about the 60+ year olds making the decisions.

The "60 year olds" want sports. This could not have been an easy decision.

Plenty of high school football that only 4 members of the family can attend...I normally go to some high school games on Friday night... Not this year.
yea, that stinks for NE families. hopefully they'll lighten up on those restrictions as the season moves along.

That is most frustrating part of all of this. The decision was made by liberal academics who hate sports. The decision should have been made by the ADs.

Are you sure the Commissioner's office didn't consult with the AD's and medical experts? Even considering all the other kids on campus.

And his own son is playing football.
HIs son is an adult college student. His adult college student can make up his own mind on what is best. If it was my son I would have a discussion but, in the end, it would be his decision. Warren has already publically stated that his family has had some "very difficult" conversations about this situation.

Kevin Warren has two distinct roles: Commissioner of the B10 and parent. Decisions made as part of his job are not controlling on choices made as parent and vice-versa.
Some will view him as a hypocrite; they ignore that distinction and their separate responsibilities. All I know is that people would flip shit if any other parent showed up and yanked his son from the practice field against his wishes.

Reactions: kidofSN

How so??

HIs son is an adult college student. His adult college student can make up his own mind on what is best. If it was my son I would have a discussion but, in the end, it would be his decision. Warren has already publically stated that his family has had some "very difficult" conversations about this situation.

Kevin Warren has two distinct roles: Commissioner of the B10 and parent. Decisions made as part of his job are not controlling on choices made as parent and vice-versa.
Some will view him as a hypocrite; they ignore that distinction and their separate responsibilities. All I know is that people would flip shit if any other parent showed up and yanked his son from the practice field against his wishes.

So he took the B1G adults (athletes) decision from them and that’s ok? Do you not see how you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Please reread your post and correct the idiocy.

Have been trying to understand the thought process here.

It's not about saving the lives of college aged kids.

For every college athlete that has been killed by COVID, I can post one that's been killed by any number of things we do every day, but we continue to do them (with precautions) even though they kill people.

So, apparently, it's about saving other people.

Fair enough, Good concern.

How does keeping healthy people from competing in sports save other people?

Because corona virus can be spread person to person asymptomatically, whether direct person to person contact or via aerosols.

Fair enough. Good concern.

Has the world ever seen anything that can be spread asymptomatically in the same exact manner, and kills huge numbers of people?

Why, yes. Interestingly enough, influenza has been around for thousands of years. It's spread person to person via various modes of transmission very similar to how corona spreads.

It's spread in huge numbers by symptomatic as well as asymptomatic carriers. Flu is readily spread by people with no symptoms.

And it, too, kills massive amounts of people.

50,000 - 80,000 in this country alone annually, depending on the source you use.

And how was it spread in 2019? and 2018? and in the '90's, and '80's and '70's and '60's as millions perished in an open, maskless, and non-socially-distanced society?

By symptomatic and asymptomatic carriers. At football games. And schools. And by students. And by athletes. And at church. And by fat guys in the stands. And in local hardware stores. And at Walmart. And in the BIG conference offices. And in meetings held by chancellors and school presidents.

Those people took their influenza germs home with them, went to a nursing home to visit someone, and it was lights out for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people.

And we played football. With stands full of people. And performed many other activities. Even though lives were at stake. Even though it was -- literally -- killing people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT